BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-03-22 12:41 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Originally posted by firebert

Question for the group - what's everyone's go-to electrolyte replacement drink?  I always used Nuun, but they've now switched from sorbitol to stevia to sweeten them all.  Stevia is probably better for you (plant based instead of sugar alcohol) but I can't get past the taste.  I HATE it.  I need something new...  Salt tabs maybe? 

Wow, some of you actually drink Gatorade?  Ick! 

I use Skratch....great flavor options (raspberry is my favorite, but the pineapple and orange ones are also very good) and not overpowering.

2017-03-22 2:26 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Question for the group - what's everyone's go-to electrolyte replacement drink?  I always used Nuun, but they've now switched from sorbitol to stevia to sweeten them all.  Stevia is probably better for you (plant based instead of sugar alcohol) but I can't get past the taste.  I HATE it.  I need something new...  Salt tabs maybe? 

Wow, some of you actually drink Gatorade?  Ick! 

I use Skratch....great flavor options (raspberry is my favorite, but the pineapple and orange ones are also very good) and not overpowering.

I'm a total lemon lime Gatorade powder girl.

I got skratch and probably food poisoning at the same time. But I will never ever be able to drink that stuff again. At least my race weight was like 10 pounds down the next day for my race.
2017-03-22 3:09 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Train how you're going to race, so your best option is to check the race website for your A race this season, and use whatever they will be supplying for the on course nutrition.

That said, I prefer to separate my nutrition and hydration, I had a bad experience in a 100km duathlon in my early multisport days where I had planned to take in about half the calories I needed through powerade. It ended up being a cold day, so i didn't drink much, didnt get any calories in, and ended up bonking hard. So now I prefer to use a drink like nunn, that's just electrolytes rather than a sugar filled powerade. Also if the workout is less than 90 minutes or so I just use water.

I'm not sure if you can get it sent to the USA, but https://drinkpure.co.nz/is pretty good. I actually won my entry to the HIM I did in Janurary from them, and it came with a big pack of powders. The pineapple flavor is amazing.
2017-03-22 3:12 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Juancho  - theoretically 3 swims per week, but I manage to do 1 or 2 and struggling... Juan

Don't I know - I scheduled 3 this past week and did....zero!  Not out of laziness, always out of family commitments.  

That's happened to me more times than I can count.  Life happens, right?  The key is to have enough time built into your plan so missing a few workouts doesn't send your training to hell in a handbasket.  Your long-term fitness over time matters, too - the longer you've been at this the quicker you'll get back.

Story of my life too.

Swimming is always the first workouts to get missed for me too. I shudder to think how many swims I missed over the last year or so. I think its because of the extra hassle of having to go to the pool to do your workout. It's much easier to skip than only needing to step outside to do a run
2017-03-22 3:18 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Nice hungover meet Nicole!

Also Nicole - did you ever get to try new DIPA and how was it?

Finished my first Olympic in 2:58 today. I honestly didn't think I had 3 hours in me. I was thrilled with that time!! The best part may have been the 30:34 swim. For some context I did a sprint less than a year ago with a 22 minute swim and another in November with an 18 minute swim. Since then I've been swimming consistently with the SMOG group in the cold OWS and in the pool based program that supplements it and I feel it's really paying off. Now if I can get this bike part fixed...

In true BDAS fashion I had to celebrate at lunch with some local craft selections. Ballast Point Sculpin and Coronado Red Mermaid.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and all your brackets aren't busted yet! I'm going to bed!

-Matt

Congratulations on your race. Great job in getting under 3 hours, was it a sprint for the last mile when you knew you were close? And, great improvement on your swim, that's showing some real progress.
2017-03-22 3:23 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
My training restart continues this week, 3 half hour runs so far. Not very exciting but getting the job done.

I did my first 'speed' workout running in I can't remember how long yesterday. Not much, just putting 2 x 1km intervals at about 5km race pace into my run. And, according to my garmin I ran the fastest 1km I have ever run (since getting the watch that is) Small milestones, but it's good to know there is still a bit of speed there.

2 more runs this week, and I"m hoping for a 60-90 minute ride followed my coffee with a friend on Saturday. That one is weather dependant tho, and looks very doubtful at the moment.

Keep up the good training guys

2017-03-22 3:31 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Congrats Andrew on both the personal best 1k and of course getting back into training!  thanks for the link btw, I'll look into the Pure electrolyte stuff.  Right up my alley- all natural.

I decided to keep last week's missed workouts as a 'rest week', and this week am back at it.  "Long" run Sunday, intervals on the bike Monday (while watching Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne on youtube), great swim last night including a 600 in my main set to prove to myself I can swim that 1/3 mile in June, interval run this morning (with my 400m repeats down into the 6:40 min/mile range which is fast for me), and planning on a longer easier bike spin tonight.

Then boot camp tomorrow, another swim Friday (or a night off and a double on Sunday), long bike saturday, and "long" run Sunday.  

I put long in " " because in sprint training the long run time right now only allows me a 5k.  It'll get longer, but never longer than a 10k.  It's just so strange going so short after the marathon in January... 

2017-03-22 8:25 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend! I ended up in Atlantic City Friday when my friend's husband wasn't feeling well and needed someone to see Florida Georgia line with her. Imbibed a bit too much, and missed swim practice Saturday since I wasn't going to leave AC at 4am. Celebrated St Patrick a bit too much yesterday too...

Had a swim meet this afternoon. Decided I should swim hungover more often. Will post a race report tmrw, but highlights are I swam the 100 free in 1:05, dropping 6 seconds from the last meet. Swam the 100 back and 100 IM both in 1:15. Also did 2 relays. Feeling really good about it! Bummed tomorrow is Monday though.

Nice job!!! Keep it up! You will never forget the first time you break a minute! I was a sophomore in high school when I did (AKA more than half a life ago) and can still picture when it happened.
2017-03-22 8:36 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
Random question for the group- how confident do you have to be that you are going to be ready to sign up for a race to sign up?

I'm having trouble wanting to pull the trigger this year even though my favorite race only has a few slots left. I have a lot of personal stuff going on (my mom is dying and my dad requires full time care that I coordinate and oversee). I like having a goal to work towards but I can't come up with the energy right now to focus and commit with everything going on.

I've thought about maybe just trying long swim races since that's really the only training I'm doing now. But I could throw together an Xterra if I could convince myself to. Anybody been in this situation? Maybe I should just get a spot then decide? The money's not that big of a deal for me if I can't go- but most likely my husband would take my slot and do it like he did last time I got hurt.
2017-03-23 7:30 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Random question for the group- how confident do you have to be that you are going to be ready to sign up for a race to sign up?

I'm having trouble wanting to pull the trigger this year even though my favorite race only has a few slots left. I have a lot of personal stuff going on (my mom is dying and my dad requires full time care that I coordinate and oversee). I like having a goal to work towards but I can't come up with the energy right now to focus and commit with everything going on.

I've thought about maybe just trying long swim races since that's really the only training I'm doing now. But I could throw together an Xterra if I could convince myself to. Anybody been in this situation? Maybe I should just get a spot then decide? The money's not that big of a deal for me if I can't go- but most likely my husband would take my slot and do it like he did last time I got hurt.

Kate, sorry to hear about your mom and coordinating care for your dad must be no mean feat.

I have signed up for races in the past when I was absolutely unsure I was going to be ready. I was scared of my HIM until about a week before, when I finally realized I could do it in the time cut off, even if I walked the whole run (which was good, since that is almost exactly what happened!). Shorter races, I'm not worried about. You just have to decide what your goal is for a specific race given your specific circumstances at the time. If you sign up for a race and know your training isn't going to be great beforehand, don't set a goal to PR. Maybe just set the goal to complete and have fun.
2017-03-23 7:37 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Firstly, sorry to hear about your mother. That is tough.

As far as signing up for races without being confident, that's something that I've done many times. My first Half Marathon (which was my first event of any kind), My first duathlon, first tri, first 70.3, and very much the case for my ironman earlier this month. I wasn't confident about that until about mile 25 of the run!

At the end of the day you just have to do what you enjoy. If you'll have fun doing an event when your undertrained, and just enjoy the day and completion then go for it. If you need to be pushing PB's all the time to be satisfied, then probably not the best idea. Personally, I'd do it, and enjoy the day as best I can.

2017-03-25 4:25 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

If workout is less than 1 hour just plain water - when in the bike I would drink almost anything that is not too sweet, now drinking PowerBar Blood Orange after being given as race drink in my last HIM, can´t stand too sweet flavours like grape, raspberry or to acidic like lime. Never tried DIY but will give it a try tomorrow on my bike ride!

Juan
2017-03-25 4:28 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

New user
Madrid

Originally posted by Juancho

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend! I ended up in Atlantic City Friday when my friend's husband wasn't feeling well and needed someone to see Florida Georgia line with her. Imbibed a bit too much, and missed swim practice Saturday since I wasn't going to leave AC at 4am. Celebrated St Patrick a bit too much yesterday too...

Had a swim meet this afternoon. Decided I should swim hungover more often. Will post a race report tmrw, but highlights are I swam the 100 free in 1:05, dropping 6 seconds from the last meet. Swam the 100 back and 100 IM both in 1:15. Also did 2 relays. Feeling really good about it! Bummed tomorrow is Monday though.

1.05 and hangover... could I take swimming lessons from you?

Juan

We will do a lesson in May when I come to Valencia!

Speaking of, we are hoping to finalize our travel plans this week. It looks like there is a good chance I will be in Valencia from Sunday, May 7th-Saturday May 13th. Any chance you will be around that week? The other possibility is I will only be there from 5/10-5/13, but I think it's more likely that I will be there longer at this point. Again, I should know in the next couple of days.

My head office is in Valencia - that week will be in Bilbao (again not too far) from 10 to 13 for our annual convention, but will try to go for the weekend to Valencia and get that master class you Nicole-the flying swimmer!

Juan
2017-03-25 4:34 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

Kate, sorry to hear your going through tough times. Parents care can really take a lot of time, I am in a similar situation with my dad and love to do it, even though at some times is extremely demanding, But that would be the best reason to sign up for a race: if money is not a big issue, I would go for it. Once you sign up your time management will be more efficient, training with a goal with help your mind to be in a much more positive mood and if you do not sign up for a race that would be too demanding, even with a bit less training than ideal you would be very proud to do it.

Juan
2017-03-25 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Moonrocket Random question for the group- how confident do you have to be that you are going to be ready to sign up for a race to sign up? I'm having trouble wanting to pull the trigger this year even though my favorite race only has a few slots left. I have a lot of personal stuff going on (my mom is dying and my dad requires full time care that I coordinate and oversee). I like having a goal to work towards but I can't come up with the energy right now to focus and commit with everything going on. I've thought about maybe just trying long swim races since that's really the only training I'm doing now. But I could throw together an Xterra if I could convince myself to. Anybody been in this situation? Maybe I should just get a spot then decide? The money's not that big of a deal for me if I can't go- but most likely my husband would take my slot and do it like he did last time I got hurt.

Really sorry to hear about your parents.  I can see this from both sides....sign up so you have a goal to work toward and a stress release (in the form of training) to look forward to each day....or hold off until things calm down because you may not be in a position to be mentally in the game or work your way into good fitness.  

I had a lot of personal stress in my life a couple years ago and signed up for a number of races (a half marathon, a 70.3, a 40k TT, and a sprint triathlon).  Training for these races gave me the mental stress release I needed, but the overall stress (training + personal stuff) took a huge toll on me.  Each race got progressively worse and the disappointment hit me hard.  There were some positives, though, as it made me reflect on my situation and figure out what could be done to turn things around.

So the one thing I would say is to not underestimate how much personal stress may affect your performance.  To be honest, if it were me, I would not sign up for the race....I have a hard time being satisfied with less than stellar results, even if there is valid reasoning behind it.  But not everyone feels the same....but if you're able to temper expectations and use the race as motivation and something to look forward to in a tough period in your life, then go for it.  Can you defer to next year if you decide you can't / don't want to race?  I see you can transfer to your husband, so that's always a good option.

2017-03-25 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

3:25 ride followed by 30 minute run this morning....one week and one day out from Galveston 70.3 and all three disciplines have actually come together at the same time.  I'm feeling really prepared and excited about this race!  And I'm hoping the flat I got last weekend means that I should be in the clear for a bit

Heading over to a friend's for a birthday party tonight....think I'm going to bring a milk stout from Gigantic Brewing Company (even though it's not really stout weather right now!); already had a Nelson Sauvin single hopped Saison this afternoon after my ride / run / walking my dogs because I wanted something light and refreshing for a warm spring afternoon.  Cheers!

2017-03-25 10:59 PM

User image

, California
Originally posted by bulfrog

Train how you're going to race, so your best option is to check the race website for your A race this season, and use whatever they will be supplying for the on course nutrition.

This is a great point and something that worries me. The reason I use my "Maple Water" concoction as I call it is that I like the natural sugars instead of the processed stuff, and I like the maple syrup being a slower burning sugar vs. Gatorade giving me that immediate "rush" but the spike in sugar level seems to go just as quick. However with the Ironman serving Gatorade I am debating if I shouldn't just be training with it? For an Oly you can bring your own bottles. For an 8 hour bike ride in a 140.6 though, how am I can't figure out how to manage my own maple syrup, or if I even want to worry about it.

I have to decide soon as my longer rides are starting to kick in.
2017-03-25 11:14 PM

User image

, California

First off I am very sorry to hear about your mother. I lost mine in 2012 and it was an awful time to go through as she deteriorated. I wish you and the family all the best in the trying time.

I'll agree with what others have been saying. If you do this as a distraction, stay fit, work off stress, etc..... then sure, sign up for something. As sad and unfair as it seems at time, life doesn't stop for us when a loved one passes away. You still have to take care of you too. So if having a race on the calendar helps keep you healthy, happier and better able to support those around you, or provides other benefits then great. If you are going to try and accomplish your specific goals though, I'd maybe take the season off.
2017-03-25 11:24 PM

User image

, California
Originally posted by bulfrog

Nice hungover meet Nicole!

Also Nicole - did you ever get to try new DIPA and how was it?

Finished my first Olympic in 2:58 today. I honestly didn't think I had 3 hours in me. I was thrilled with that time!! The best part may have been the 30:34 swim. For some context I did a sprint less than a year ago with a 22 minute swim and another in November with an 18 minute swim. Since then I've been swimming consistently with the SMOG group in the cold OWS and in the pool based program that supplements it and I feel it's really paying off. Now if I can get this bike part fixed...

In true BDAS fashion I had to celebrate at lunch with some local craft selections. Ballast Point Sculpin and Coronado Red Mermaid.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and all your brackets aren't busted yet! I'm going to bed!

-Matt

Congratulations on your race. Great job in getting under 3 hours, was it a sprint for the last mile when you knew you were close? And, great improvement on your swim, that's showing some real progress.

Not really a hectic finish, no. I wasn't checking my total time the whole race. After the swim I was very optimistic but then after the bike was brought back to reality. Mile after mile on the run though when my pace wasn't slowing I realized I may have an outside shot at 3 hours. I just didn't want to stress myself out or push too early and then die. So I just kept up the same uncomfortable pace the whole time and tried maybe only the last couple hundred meters to go a bit faster. The first time I know my total time since exiting the swim was when I saw the clock at the finish line!
2017-03-25 11:25 PM

User image

, California
How's everyone's weekend? I had kind of a slower week following the race last Sunday. This weekend starting to ramp up again. Ocean swim this morning, run this afternoon. Sunday morning will be a brick. Looking forward to training continuing to build.
2017-03-26 7:09 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

How's everyone's weekend? I had kind of a slower week following the race last Sunday. This weekend starting to ramp up again. Ocean swim this morning, run this afternoon. Sunday morning will be a brick. Looking forward to training continuing to build.

Nice training sessions during the weekend (3000m swim Friday night, 1.30h run yesterday and 3 hours bike ride scheduled after lunch. I have the feeling that I am stuck with speed, but I am starting to have this nice feeling of feeling not too tired and really good after long runs/rides that didn´t have before.
Hope you are all enjoying the weekend!

Juan

2017-03-26 10:28 AM
in reply to: #5216512

User image

DeLand, Florida
Kate - just wanted to share my sympathy for the situation with your parents especially of course your mom.
2017-03-26 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ligersandtions

3:25 ride followed by 30 minute run this morning....one week and one day out from Galveston 70.3 and all three disciplines have actually come together at the same time.  I'm feeling really prepared and excited about this race!  And I'm hoping the flat I got last weekend means that I should be in the clear for a bit

Heading over to a friend's for a birthday party tonight....think I'm going to bring a milk stout from Gigantic Brewing Company (even though it's not really stout weather right now!); already had a Nelson Sauvin single hopped Saison this afternoon after my ride / run / walking my dogs because I wanted something light and refreshing for a warm spring afternoon.  Cheers!

Glad to hear things are coming together for you at the perfect time right before Galveston 70.3. I hope you crush it! As for the the Nelson Sauvin saison - what did you think? I've brewed a lot with Nelson and really like it as a hop.
2017-03-26 12:20 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
SOrry for being away for a couple of weeks. I am still struggling with my emotions as I continue to try to get over getting fired last year for unfair reasons. WHen I feel the way I've been feeling - I tend to bury my head in the sand and disconnect. I wanted you guys to know because I feel bad about not being a more active member of the group, which I love and rely on so much. Yet, even when I'm not posting, I'm still thinking about your guys and praying that you are training well and enjoying some tasty beers as rewards.

Yesterday I went out and did what I thought were three substandard miles - in terms of time. I need to run fifteen minute miles for the race (actually a little faster if I don't want to have the race closing down around me) and these three miles were around 16:30. So I stopped with the goal of going out on the course today with all the other runners who will be there doing their last long runs. My coach assures me that everything will be fine and that my current times are more a reflection of my fatigue than my current fitness level. Right now, I need the confidence to know that I can do the race and that I will only get faster after my taper which starts next Friday (my coach is a big fan of the two week taper). WHat does the group think?
2017-03-26 12:36 PM

User image

Expert

Kate - SO sorry to hear about your situation and I'll be praying for you and your parents.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38448 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.