BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-04-06 11:19 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by Juancho

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Tavo2311 I currently don't have a vacation planned Mike, so don't feel bad! Had a nice brick workout today after work. 1h15m ride / 30m run. Looking forward to a big weekend of training mixed with family time. What's everyone else got on tap? -Matt

Dude, you live in California.  Every day is a vacation. 

Traveling for work in KL, but fortunately nice park in front of the convention center and nice pool in the hotel, so 1h run in a hot, humid climate - tomorrow planning for a 1h swim and then 1h run afterwards (no long bike this weekend, but "Tiger" beer will be a good substitute).

Gretchen - glad you are back on track on your Egypt program, must be really exciting to do research over there!

Nicole - so proud of you, for our whatever comes out of this cooperation with the refugee family will be either great or excellent; sure they will never forget it, but you will feel so good...we need more people like you with your generosity! I will contact you privately to share emails and phone numbers so we can get in touch while in Spain - it would be great to meet you in person!

DQ - cannot do a donation from Europe (link does not work), anyway to do it some other way?

Andrew, agree with Mike: 4h per week is considered "normal" in the real world.

By the way, I just bought the book "Accidental ironman: how triathlon ruined my life" by Martyn Brunt, just hilarious!!! If you want to laugh loud, give it a try.

Juan

Juan:

Thanks so much for your willingness to jump through some hoops to help me. IS there any way Paypal would work - my email address is [email protected]

If not - no worries!

2017-04-06 11:24 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by Qua17

That's simply incredible! Way to get it done on the bike! I'm so happy for you! WHat beer did you celebrate you achievement with?

Great question!  Pre-race was a Brett DIPA dry hopped with citra hops.  Immediately after the race, we went to Galveston Island Brewery (about a mile from transition) and I had a flight that included an IPA, a DIPA, a porter, a stout, and a sour.  And the next night, I had a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout from Clown Shoes

Nice work. Clown shoes is based 30 minutes from my house here in MA but I think the contract brew across the country. How did you enjoy the Stout? I like it.
2017-04-06 11:50 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida

Hey all - just checking in real quick.  Been down with the sickness all week and haven't worked out since Saturday.  It's killing me - all I have done this week is work and sleep basically.  At least the weather sucks so I'm not tempted to be outside.

2017-04-06 3:25 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!! Egypt is a go!!! Leaving early next week (assuming I can get a ticket for less than a billion dollars) and will be there until mid-June!! Now that I have permission, I have so much stuff to get done between then an now!

Before all heck broke loose this morning I hit Masters for a swim. Unfortunately, Coach was in a talkitive mood this morning and I only managed to get in 1100m before I had to get out. My folks are in town to attend an award ceremony where I'll be receiving the College of Liberal Arts "Mentor of the Year" award! I had to get home to make my dad coffee before he tried himself and broke our Keurig (he is totally old school!!). So, short swim this morning. With all the preparations to make, I doubt I'll be getting in much training over the next few days. And...in Egypt...only running (and yoga!).

Gretchen, nothing beats a classical, italian Bialetti coffee maker, I am afraid I am here with your father!

Juancho
2017-04-06 3:27 PM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by lowdon

Egypt sound like it will be amazing!

I booked my yearly holiday-ride over the weekend! A friend & I are cycling from Innsbruck (in the Alps), down through the Dolomites and into Venice. About 350km over 5 days. Very excited

https://www.strava.com/routes/8112327

This is also about 2.5 weeks before my first OT, so probably the last strenuous exercise I'll do before the event. How long do you normally taper? 1 week or 2? (NFI)

Cheers

Ben

Ben, this sound like a beautiful ride, from the Alps into Venice, post pictures!

Juan
2017-04-06 3:29 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I raced Galveston 70.3 on Sunday....

Hey, congratulations!!! Under 5 hours, that-is-fast for a half! I wish my Argon 18 would be as fast as yours, but I am afraid for one reason or another it is not

Juan

2017-04-06 3:48 PM
in reply to: #5217727

User image

Berlin, Berlin
I will for sure Juan!

Cheers all for the race advice. I ran 6 this morning & swam tonight & will now rest my heels until the race which is incidentally my first :D
2017-04-06 9:45 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
We've been having some horrible weather this week, lots of flooding and landslips around the country. So I've been locked up inside being lazy when I should have been running. Fortunately, this weekend is looking much better. So I'm looking forwards to a nice bike ride, and some running. (and I'm sure the hound is looking forward to some running too...)

Have a good training weekend everyone.
2017-04-07 7:55 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Only 1500m at masters this morning. Coach is on vacation and we got a little chatty in our lane. oops!! I did manage to work in some breaststroke and backstroke. I haven't done those in a long time. Boy was I tired! Especially after the breaststroke. That uses muscles I forget I have!!
2017-04-07 8:20 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Happy Friday!

Went to Masters this morning. I didn't work out a ton this week because I have been sick (again), but with the meet tomorrow I knew I had to get in the pool at least once. Practice put me in a really good mood though. I was in Panera afterwards and felt obnoxiously smiley and had a convo with someone who told her I look like her niece and that it made her day b/c it made her think of her. That, in turn, made my day. Now I'm at work but hoping it flies by today!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm a little anxious for my meet since I'm still a little sick but it should be fun no matter what.
2017-04-07 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by lowdon I will for sure Juan! Cheers all for the race advice. I ran 6 this morning & swam tonight & will now rest my heels until the race which is incidentally my first :D

Good luck on the race - you'll do great.  Just don't go out too fast and finish strong.

2017-04-07 8:57 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Happy Friday! Went to Masters this morning. I didn't work out a ton this week because I have been sick (again), but with the meet tomorrow I knew I had to get in the pool at least once. Practice put me in a really good mood though. I was in Panera afterwards and felt obnoxiously smiley and had a convo with someone who told her I look like her niece and that it made her day b/c it made her think of her. That, in turn, made my day. Now I'm at work but hoping it flies by today! Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm a little anxious for my meet since I'm still a little sick but it should be fun no matter what.

Were you at the Panera in Canton?  We must have just missed each other if you were.  I was there around 7:30 picking up some stuff before I went over to see my PT at the Merritt.

Good luck at the meet this weekend...my daughter as a LCM meet at McDonough tomorrow.

2017-04-07 9:08 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Happy Friday! Went to Masters this morning. I didn't work out a ton this week because I have been sick (again), but with the meet tomorrow I knew I had to get in the pool at least once. Practice put me in a really good mood though. I was in Panera afterwards and felt obnoxiously smiley and had a convo with someone who told her I look like her niece and that it made her day b/c it made her think of her. That, in turn, made my day. Now I'm at work but hoping it flies by today! Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm a little anxious for my meet since I'm still a little sick but it should be fun no matter what.

Go get em torpedo Nicole you got this!!  Just call the extra rest 'tapering' haha.

2017-04-07 9:09 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Time for an update:

So I haven't been putting too many updates around my recovery because it's been a little frustrating and I don't want to complain all the time.    As you may recall, I got a post-surgical infection in the wound, which took FOREVER to resolve (two rounds of antibiotics and about five weeks), so I haven't been able to do any pool work at all.  I have been able to bike - up to about 3.5 hours/week right now which is going well.  The first time on the trainer was hilarious - i couldn't figure out how to get my leg over the top tube so I had to lift myself over from the back, so I climbed on the trainer and almost fell (bike shoes are not particularly grippy).  First ride was with hands on the aerobar pads only, and it was difficult to even get to the gears.  A week later was much better, on the hoods more or less the whole time.  The spin bike and upright gym bike sessions were much easier to manage.  It has felt really good to get my HR up and 3+ weeks in I'm feeling some fitness return. 

Still can't do much else, but I started PT a couple of weeks ago and it's been hit or miss.  Lots of hip flexor work and we tried a rudimentary Warrior pose today, which totally gassed me but it felt really good to stretch those muscles.  Lots of soreness back there still, probably a mixture of the increase in activity and I'm totally of meds now.

Work has been great to me, I've only had to travel once but the next 5-6 weeks have me on the road quite a bit, so I'll have to manage the pain, cycling, and PT on my own a bit.

Happy Friday!

2017-04-07 10:03 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Damn Mike.  Two steps forward one step back is better than the other way round I suppose right?  At least you can do some biking!  Good on you for staying strong and patient with the recovery.  It'll pay off next season

2017-04-08 10:47 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

Time for an update:

S>Happy Friday!

Great to keep your motivation when you are not 100%!

Took 4 days with the family skiing in the pyrenees, wonderful weather, and guess good as cross training.
Happy Easter to all!

Juan

2017-04-08 7:06 PM
in reply to: #5217809

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Just registered for the Naptown HIM in Indy on October 1!! It is 15 weeks from the day I return from Egypt!
2017-04-09 12:11 AM
in reply to: #5217997

User image

, California
Almost perfect timing Gretchen, 15 weeks to get that bike and swim fitness back.

Nicole have fun at the meet, good luck.

Mike please feel free to come in here and complain! It's what we're here for, support when it's going well or not. Good to hear your doing better now.

Sadly my recovery week comes to an end tomorrow with a short brick, 1hr ride / 20min run. Monday starts week 9 of my plan, base phase is done and build phase begins. Here we go...

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend!

-Matt
2017-04-09 8:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Were you at the Panera in Canton?  We must have just missed each other if you were.  I was there around 7:30 picking up some stuff before I went over to see my PT at the Merritt.

Good luck at the meet this weekend...my daughter as a LCM meet at McDonough tomorrow.

No, I was at the one in Towson (it was right after Masters practice). We will run into each other one of these days! Hope your daughter's meet went well!
2017-04-09 9:02 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Meet went okay yesterday. Will post race report later. Highlights are I dropped a second on my 100 fr (1:04.19) and the 200 IM is REALLY HARD!
2017-04-10 1:25 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short morning masters workout (1400m). Today is tying up all the loose ends before flying out tomorrow. Somehow I managed to get everything arranged in my suitcases so they are exactly the same weight (48.2# each). I'm a nerd, I really like that balance!

2017-04-10 1:30 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Short morning masters workout (1400m). Today is tying up all the loose ends before flying out tomorrow. Somehow I managed to get everything arranged in my suitcases so they are exactly the same weight (48.2# each). I'm a nerd, I really like that balance!

Safe travels Gretchen!!

2017-04-10 1:32 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

Whatever manner of Flu I had last week is done and I'm back at it, just in time for the 70 degree weather!  

Got a good 4 mile run in yesterday, nice even pace never felt the need for a walk break.  And my quads are actually sore today - always a good sign of a good workout

Today it's outside for the second ever road ride on my new bike!

2017-04-10 1:38 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Bike question for the group - anyone true their own wheels?  Guessing no (too bad Alan isn't here this year!)

Got a new set of training wheels for my old Trek so I can make it sale-able.  DT Swiss - they're quality wheels, but in order to get the best price I got them from the UK.  Meant when I discovered the rear had a hop in it, it would be too much of a hassle to send them back and likely prohibitively expensive to ship if they didn't cover return shipping.  So I took it on myself.

Actually managed to correct the hop (slight up and down wobble from being out of round), and in the process my ham fists introduced a new side-side wobble from being out of true.  The hop was easy enough to do with the wheel on the trainer and a zip tie.  Side to side the pro (ie expensive) truing stands use a caliper thingy.  Damn it all...

2017-04-10 2:52 PM

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Well done fixing the wheel John. I do most of my own repairs but I am yet to true a wheel!

I did my 10k race on Saturday & it went well. I ran 0:58 & was hoping for better, but still pleased I got under an hour on my first. I'd only ever run 6-7 before & really worked out on k 7-8 psychologically, then sorted it out and sped up again before the end. Anyway, super happy but my thighs are still sore! I was only running 6k once a week before with a group, but now I know I can do it, it's time to level up to the regular 10k group

Last note: After doing this I'm really pleased that I have booked a sprint Triathlon before doing my Olympic otherwise I think I would be in for a massive shock. This way I will get to see the psychological hurdles of each step before going for the 'big' one

Thanks all for your tips too by the way

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38724 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.