BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-04-19 8:48 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Originally posted by Juancho DQ....enhorabuena!!! (Spanish for congrats!!!) - after such a huge effort -and weeks under the dry law- hope you enjoyed a few post race drinks!! Juan

Enhorabuena - I'll have to say that to my daughter.  She's taking Spanish in grade school and already in 1st grade has better pronunciation than I do.... I'm really glad they start them early now.  I didn't start with a foreign language until much later on and it was way too late to pick it up naturally, at least in a classroom setting.

2017-04-19 8:53 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

Hope everyone's training is coming along great.  I'm working harder this week at finding a way to do workouts even when life is getting in the way.  Right now that's either doing trainer workouts late at night, or doing runs and swims middday during work.  Call it a lunch break and don't tell anyone ok?  

2017-04-19 10:37 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by Juancho DQ....enhorabuena!!! (Spanish for congrats!!!) - after such a huge effort -and weeks under the dry law- hope you enjoyed a few post race drinks!! Juan

Enhorabuena - I'll have to say that to my daughter.  She's taking Spanish in grade school and already in 1st grade has better pronunciation than I do.... I'm really glad they start them early now.  I didn't start with a foreign language until much later on and it was way too late to pick it up naturally, at least in a classroom setting.

Same here, I wish I had started early. I am currently trying to learn Spanish but through an app so it is slow and not the same as speaking if often. I have some Spanish speaking friends that I'm going to cook for and make them speak to me only in Spanish during our meals so I can start learning more. Juan, yo practicaria contigo, pero creo yo no soy suficientemente buena, todavia (I used google translate for a little of this, hehe).
2017-04-21 9:05 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi Everyone!!

First--congrats DQ!!! Great job finishing BM!!! Wear that jacket proudly!!

It is getting hot here in Egypt. Good news is that I've done five runs, a walk, four ST workouts, and seven yoga sessions this week. On top of excavating six hours a day in the desert. Wow--when I type all that out it is no wonder I'm exhausted!! Good training week though.

Excavations are going well. We are at the beginning of week three, which is the time when the normal season would kick into full swing, after everyone works out the kinks of having a year off and brushes the cobwebs from their minds. I spent all last week excavating one grave. It was 2m long and over 1.5m deep (that is long and deep!!) and since it was only 45cm wide, I had to do a lot of what we like to call archaeo-yoga to get in the right positions to excavate.
2017-04-21 2:54 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by nicole14e

Same here, I wish I had started early. I am currently trying to learn Spanish but through an app so it is slow and not the same as speaking if often. I have some Spanish speaking friends that I'm going to cook for and make them speak to me only in Spanish during our meals so I can start learning more. Juan, yo practicaria contigo, pero creo yo no soy suficientemente buena, todavia (I used google translate for a little of this, hehe).

Agree with you both, I started to speak English when I was 17 (exchange student in Yakima, Wash) and happy with what I can do, but my kids go to a British school since they were 3 and today -at 16 and 17- laugh at my accent!

Juan
2017-04-21 2:55 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi Everyone!!

First--congrats DQ!!! Great job finishing BM!!! Wear that jacket proudly!!

It is getting hot here in Egypt. Good news is that I've done five runs, a walk, four ST workouts, and seven yoga sessions this week. On top of excavating six hours a day in the desert. Wow--when I type all that out it is no wonder I'm exhausted!! Good training week though.

Excavations are going well. We are at the beginning of week three, which is the time when the normal season would kick into full swing, after everyone works out the kinks of having a year off and brushes the cobwebs from their minds. I spent all last week excavating one grave. It was 2m long and over 1.5m deep (that is long and deep!!) and since it was only 45cm wide, I had to do a lot of what we like to call archaeo-yoga to get in the right positions to excavate.

"Archaeo-yoga", love that word! And so hot that it could be Bikram-archaeo-yoga!

Juan

2017-04-21 11:00 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

How's everyone's weekend shaping up?  I'm just about 7 weeks out from race day, made the shift to 'build phase' of my plan.  

Got a new (to me) tempo run in yesterday, 3 miles with mile 2 as 'above race pace'.  That was a good one.  Today in the pool pretty sure I was close to if not hitting a personal best distance at 2600 yds.  In an hour which never would have happened even last season.  I'm still terribly slow but I'm doing more in the pool...

Tomorrow morning first thing (after a late night with a Bruins double OT eventual win) I have a 40 minute/ 1 mi brick.  First brick of the year.  WOOHOO!

2017-04-22 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
HI All - sorry for being off the site but I've been staying with my mother who has broken and had surgery for her hip a few weeks ago. Looks like I might be here a while.

WHile I was sitting in her hospital room I had time to write up a race report. Here's tis! http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Thanks to everyone for their kind words on my race. It was awesome to check Boston off my bucket list! Thanks for your support!
2017-04-22 7:34 PM
in reply to: #5218683

User image

, California
John - playoff hockey, nothing like it. Watching my Rangers as I type try to put this series away. Great job on the training. Slow doesn't matter, consistency does! It is always fun hitting some new workouts as the phases change isn't it? I'm going through that right now.

Dave - sorry to hear about your mother. Hope she recovers quickly. Great to hear from you.

I had to miss my usual ocean swim this morning because one boy's soccer game was early. So I adjusted and hit the pool at 7 am for a steady state quick swim before time to get ready for his game. A 5 mile run this afternoon went well. Schedule calls for a 1h45m / 45m brick in the morning to close out week 10. Approaching halfway!

-Matt
2017-04-23 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

How's everyone's weekend shaping up?  I'm just about 7 weeks out from race day, made the shift to 'build phase' of my plan.  

Got a new (to me) tempo run in yesterday, 3 miles with mile 2 as 'above race pace'.  That was a good one.  Today in the pool pretty sure I was close to if not hitting a personal best distance at 2600 yds.  In an hour which never would have happened even last season.  I'm still terribly slow but I'm doing more in the pool...

Tomorrow morning first thing (after a late night with a Bruins double OT eventual win) I have a 40 minute/ 1 mi brick.  First brick of the year.  WOOHOO!

You go John! Glad to hear you are going farther in the pool and that you are still kicking @55 on the run. The fact that you are doing a brick means that spring is finally here!

Good luck to you this week in your training.
2017-04-23 11:47 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
I'm still in Cleveland with my mother. I left my bike in Boston so there is really no way for me to work out. I could go for a short run but my feet are still covered with an open blisters. Major bummer. I guess it's gods way of telling me that I'm supposed to sit bedside....

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying a nice weekend full of good weather and more importantly good beer!

2017-04-23 1:36 PM
in reply to: #5218911

User image

DeLand, Florida
Dave - sending all my best for your mother's recovery.

Based on weather I swapped my workouts this weekend did my long run yesterday. Was supposed to therefore do the brick today but I'm sick so instead swapping a rest day today to do the brick tomorrow.

Hockey - glad my Bruins aren't out of the playoffs yet they've been lackluster against the Senators. Really just happy they made the playoffs it's the first time in a few years. Every win is a good one at this point.

Hope everyone is getting some drop spring fever and working out outdoors!
2017-04-24 2:16 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Qua17

I'm still in Cleveland with my mother. I left my bike in Boston so there is really no way for me to work out. I could go for a short run but my feet are still covered with an open blisters. Major bummer. I guess it's gods way of telling me that I'm supposed to sit bedside....

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying a nice weekend full of good weather and more importantly good beer!

Hope your mother get better soon - perfect timing for your recovery, Dave!

Relaxed weekend -may be too much-, so time to catch up and get back on track. Early morning 1h run, feel much better now!

Juan
2017-04-24 6:15 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
DQ, sorry to hear about your mom! Hope she recovers quickly.
I tried to read your RR but it wasn't showing up.

Hope everyone is well! I did masters practice Saturday morning but didn't do much else this weekend. Had football yesterday and ended up drinking more than planned, and didn't get anything done that I needed to before my trip, so today is going to be a bit crazy. I also have a date tonight so that won't help!
2017-04-25 2:41 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by nicole14e

DQ, sorry to hear about your mom! Hope she recovers quickly.
I tried to read your RR but it wasn't showing up.

Hope everyone is well! I did masters practice Saturday morning but didn't do much else this weekend. Had football yesterday and ended up drinking more than planned, and didn't get anything done that I needed to before my trip, so today is going to be a bit crazy. I also have a date tonight so that won't help!

Date?? Sounds good, Nicole!

1:15h crazy tough spinning class, then 2000m swim, still struggling to do what is on my plan....slowly getting there. Tomorrow travel again...
Hope you all had a good start this week!

Juan
2017-04-25 10:52 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi everyone,

Dave, I also can't seem to find your race report. Maybe you haven't published it yet? More importantly sorry to hear about your mother. Good on you for being a good son and looking after her, hope she recovers well.

Gretchen, nice work on all those workouts. And sounds like quite the adventure you're on. Any chance of some photos of what it's like over there? You are doing something the rest of us will never experience...

Everyone else, keep up the good work and train hard.

2017-04-25 11:00 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I had a pretty nice week last week.

I had a workout all 7 days for the first time since the Ironman. Admittedly, 2 of the days were only a quick 2km jog to keep the dog happy, but still its something. Tuesday was ANZAC day (Our version of your veterans day I think), that's a public holiday for us, so the wife and I took Monday as annual leave so had back to back 4 day weekends. In the past that would have been heavy training, this time it was assembling baby furniture and new curtains etc... Life is changing.

Today I weighed in the same weight (120.6kg) as I was the first week back at work post Ironman. That's 50 consecutive days of MFP and no change. Not good enough. I may be on reduced training, but I can work on my diet. So the goal for the next 9 weeks, until baby arrives is to try to drop 1kg a week. Hunger is fat leaving the body right?
2017-04-26 9:05 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, everyone.  I found the pool!!!  Granted I just walked around in it and did a few strokes of elementary backstroke, but I didn't drown!!!

Cycling is going well, up to almost 4 hours/week now.  PT is progressing but I still can't do even some of the most basic core exercises.

@Nicole - we need an RR of that date. 

2017-04-26 9:35 PM
in reply to: #5218934

User image

, California
Hey all, checking in before my swim tonight. Kind of frustrating day yesterday. Had a two hour ride scheduled after work, got out of work early enough to do the ride outdoors so thought I lucked out, then got a flat 45 minutes in and far from home. My spare tube had a hole also. Ride over, wife pick me up. Get home and realize I had never replaced other spare tunes and had none left so not only was Tuesday night ruined but Wednesday morning workout couldn't happen either. Amazon got me some more spare tunes overnight as I wouldn't have been able to get to store and now I'm all changed up and ready for a double ride on Thursday.

A while ago this would've really made me angry but I'm trying to do much better job of keeping things in perspective throughout this journey. I don't make a living from the sport, I can't let my mood get negatively affected by it.

Hope everyone is doing well this week.

-Matt
2017-04-26 10:06 PM
in reply to: #5219148

User image

DeLand, Florida
Matt - sorry to hear. If it helps at all, this put today's frustrating workout for me in perspective. Needed 40 mins on the trainer, struggled to get 20. Legs just don't have it right now. Getting winded walking up stairs... keep wondering what's wrong with the legs.

Anyway one iffy bike workout is nothing compared with not being able to ride at all and getting stranded in the process. Glad you're back on track so quickly!
2017-04-26 10:07 PM
in reply to: #5219150

User image

DeLand, Florida
Hey ON - I'm with Juan. We don't get much social stuff how was the date?

2017-04-27 12:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Hi all... apologies for radio silence but I have been on a long work-trip to Belgrade, Serbia, where I had great intentions for exercise. However, 2 things were unbeknownst to me

1- It is important in Serbia to eat & drink ridiculously every night. (Seriously, I do not think that they have any vegetables in Serbia)

2- The opening times for swimming pools are lottery-random. I went twice & missed the window both times. (Although I did get 1 good long run in)

Anyway, now I am back & just realised that my first sprint Triathlon has snuck up on me & is in 11 days, so I have a question...

Should I just run and swim as much as possible to get my stamina back up UNTIL race day OR, should I likely hammer it until next Wednesday & give myself a 4 day taper? These 2 are my weakest legs (race is Sunday week)

Thanks, Ben

Edited by lowdon 2017-04-27 4:34 PM
2017-04-27 12:52 PM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by lowdon

Hi all... apologies for radio silence but I have been on a long work-trip to Belgrade, Serbia, where I had great intentions for exercise. However, 2 things were unbeknownst to me

1- It is important in Serbia to eat & drink ridiculously every night. (Seriously, I do not think that they have any vegetables in Serbia)

2- The opening times for swimming pools are lottery-random. I went twice & missed the window both times. (Although I did get 1 good long run in)

Anyway, now I am back & just realised that my first sprint Triathlon has snuck up on me & is in 11 days, so I have a question...

Should I just run and swim as much as possible to get my stamina back up UNTIL race day OR, should I likely hammer it until next Wednesday & give myself a 4 day taper? These 2 are my weakest legs (race is Sunday week)

??????! Ben

Generally tapering only is effective when you are coming down from consistent, hard training.  Given you've had some time off, you'll probably be better off just training straight through the race, and maybe take a day off the Thursday or Friday beforehand. 

It's a sprint, so you should be able to do OK just on muscle memory.  Look at it this way - at least you're fresh!!! 

2017-04-27 4:35 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Haha, that IS TRUE!

Ok then I'll just chug through. Should I give it 2 or 3 days rest? (I'm thinking 2 is enough)

2017-04-28 6:07 AM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by lowdon

Haha, that IS TRUE!

Ok then I'll just chug through. Should I give it 2 or 3 days rest? (I'm thinking 2 is enough)

I've always had success taking the day off two days before the race (so, Thursday for a Saturday race) and then do a short workout the day before on all three disciplines with like 5-10 minutes total at race pace.  Some people don't take days off at all...guess we're all experiments of one.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38757 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.