BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-05-12 9:24 AM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Originally posted by lowdon

Hi all- Any tips on improving my swimming power & stamina in 4 weeks other than just swimming more regularly

That's the magic formula, at least for me.  You could also do some swim-specific strength training but this isn't really the right time in a training cycle for that. 

Make sure the swim workouts align towards your goal distance (Oly, right?).  So do lots of 100 repeats slightly faster than you figure you're going to swim the race, with about :10-12 sec rest after each interval.  A main set would be like:

Week 1:  4 X (5 x 100), :10 RBI, 1 minute rest between sets

Week 2:  3 X (7 x 100), :10 RBI, 1' RBS

Week 3:  2 X (10 x 100), :10 RBI, 1' RBS

Week 4:  1 X (20 x 100), :12 RBI

Progress from the first to the last over the four weeks, your 100 times should drop a little over the four weeks, but you're not looking to swim a faster 100, you're looking to swim a good 1500 and come out relatively fresh (which is why your main sets are all longer than your race distance).  That week 4 workout is mentally tough, but will get you in the right mindset for that almost a mile swim.

Good luck!

2017-05-12 9:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Berlin, Berlin
Thanks Michael. Actually, I just switched to a normal Sprint (and booked an Olympic for October). So if I am applying that for 750m, should I split everything in half?

Edited by lowdon 2017-05-12 12:33 PM
2017-05-12 12:35 PM

User image

Berlin, Berlin
Also, what is an RBI?
2017-05-14 5:30 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by lowdon Also, what is an RBI?

Sorry about that...RBI = Rest Between Intervals, RBS = Rest Between Sets

You'll typically have a pretty short rest between your sets of intervals, and then something longer between those sets.

As for modifying for the sprint, you still want to do 100 repeats but you'll do them a second or two faster maybe, and you may not need the full 2,000.  For me, anything less than 1500 isn't even worth dragging everything to the pool.  If you can manage the workouts as described above, I'd still do that and you'll be in great position to have a successful bike and run after the swim.

Good luck!

2017-05-15 12:26 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone!

I have been off the grid for a bit. Had my trip to Italy/Spain. It was pretty amazing. Lots of beach volleyball. Also had some nice runs on the beach. We rented bikes in Spain and did a bike tour but they were just cruiser bikes. Getting back into a routine now that I'm home. Did some strength stuff this morning, hoping to run tomorrow and Friday, Masters practice Saturday, and maybe a bike ride or some boot camps and such.

I hope everyone is doing wonderfully! Mike, how's your back healing? DQ, how are you doing post-Boston? Sorry I am so out of the loop! Trying to dig out of 2/12/ weeks worth of emails so I don't think I will be able to catch up on past posts anytime soon.

Also, Juan and I had been hoping to meet up for a workout in Valencia, but he ended up having to go somewhere else. He still very generously sent along some AMAZING wine to our apartment for us to enjoy. It was incredible, so just wanted to give him a BDAS shout out! I will be back to Spain very soon (I'm obsessed), so hopefully we get to meet up another time!
2017-05-15 10:51 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e
Also, Juan and I had been hoping to meet up for a workout in Valencia, but he ended up having to go somewhere else. He still very generously sent along some AMAZING wine to our apartment for us to enjoy. It was incredible, so just wanted to give him a BDAS shout out! I will be back to Spain very soon (I'm obsessed), so hopefully we get to meet up another time!

Nice job Juan. And nice to hear that you had a good vacation Nicole.

Last week was pretty quiet for me. Weather and life got in the way quite a bit, only managing 4 runs for 1:45 total for the week. So pretty blah.

This week is looking to be pretty full on too. With antenatal classes, practical parenting class, maternity hospital tour, and my wifes baby shower all happening. So I'm not holding out much hope for a huge training week. So my workout goal is just to try and do something, anything every day. Even if all I have time for is a 15 minute jog with the dog, keeping up the frequency has to be something.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

2017-05-17 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Hi everyone! I have been off the grid for a bit. Had my trip to Italy/Spain. It was pretty amazing. Lots of beach volleyball. Also had some nice runs on the beach. We rented bikes in Spain and did a bike tour but they were just cruiser bikes. Getting back into a routine now that I'm home. Did some strength stuff this morning, hoping to run tomorrow and Friday, Masters practice Saturday, and maybe a bike ride or some boot camps and such. I hope everyone is doing wonderfully! Mike, how's your back healing? DQ, how are you doing post-Boston? Sorry I am so out of the loop! Trying to dig out of 2/12/ weeks worth of emails so I don't think I will be able to catch up on past posts anytime soon. Also, Juan and I had been hoping to meet up for a workout in Valencia, but he ended up having to go somewhere else. He still very generously sent along some AMAZING wine to our apartment for us to enjoy. It was incredible, so just wanted to give him a BDAS shout out! I will be back to Spain very soon (I'm obsessed), so hopefully we get to meet up another time!

Welcome back! 

Back is progressing - still hurts but I'm also hitting the bike pretty hard and swimming and PT, too.  Glad you had an awesome time in Europe.

2017-05-17 3:10 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, Vermont
Well done, Ben!!! You are a triathlete!!
2017-05-18 1:43 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Cheers Jennifer :D

2017-05-18 1:49 PM

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Thanks Mike. Great help as always :D

I managed to fall off my bike last Sunday & messed up my arm, so I have been going easy on the swimming this week, but getting back in tomorrow & will start to apply this. Cheers

2017-05-19 8:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
My dreams of getting back into a routine this week were squashed. I have been having issues with my feet (presumably from trying to grip the sand playing volleyball for 2 weeks) and my left foot especially has been swollen all week. I decided to take it easy and let my feet rest since I have no idea what is wrong with them. The swelling has finally dissipated. Going to masters practice tomorrow. It's gonna hurt. Haven't swam in about a month

2017-05-19 9:09 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Congratulations Ben and welcome to the club!  

Middle of the pack compared to the everyman group - I'd hardly call that a failure!  Many of us pride ourselves on being MOPs.  :D

Also - 350k?  That's like double a Grand Tour stage.  AS I recall, its through the mountains as well, right?  That's quite an undertaking, but should be the ride of a lifetime!

Originally posted by lowdon

Did it! My first & it was a bit of an adventure

I was 3 minutes late for the 'everyman' group & almost ducked out, but then asked if I could get bumped onto one of the other races... They looked & the only one that I could join was the Elite group, the POWERMAN! 60 people.. a couple of ex-Olympians 1 Paralympian in the group. This was my first, but what could go wrong, so of course I accepted

We started & about 40m into the first lap I panicked in the pack & took in some water.. Slowed off.. got to the end & thought "steady does it", so switched to to breast stroke & came in 2nd from finish :/ . The bike run was good though & I ran my best time for the run section. Overall I came 54th out of the group. To be honest I was just happy to finish! But then, because I'm a nerd I decided to combine the numbers from the everyman group and see how I would have done overall. That made it about 70th out of 120, which is a bit better considering my terrible start

Simply, I need to get my act into gear if I'm going to be ready for the Olympic in a month. I'm going to focus on some long swims & regular 10k runs. I have my 350km ride in 2 weeks, so I think that will be enough training for the middle section

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for the great support!

2017-05-19 9:14 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

DeLand, Florida

I'm here, I'm training, just quiet on the BT front.  No real excuse for that.  I am sad though that the manatee mentor group is squashing us in post count.

Ended up having a flu-like virus, which took me out of training for more than a week.  It's all gone now and I'm back at it with full strength.  Very happy to be back as well.  I am getting slower every year which stinks, so having lifeless energy levels from being sick was scaring me.  Two weeks out from my first road race since January's marathon, this will be a 5k with a craft beer tasting afterwards.  On my birthday.  Gotta have a beer 5k on your birthday right?  Then the week following (June 10th) is the tri I'm supposed to do with Dave.  I'm doing it, just not sure if Dave is I haven't heard from him.

Got rear ended last week and so apart from all the hassles dealing with the insurance and the body shop, now I need to start PT again for my neck from the whiplash.  Public Service Announcement - your phone can wait.  

(20170511_172000.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20170511_172000.jpg (4809KB - 1 downloads)
2017-05-19 9:15 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

I was in front of the Suburban:

(20170511_172007.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20170511_172007.jpg (3252KB - 3 downloads)
2017-05-19 9:16 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Yes the woman driving the red car was not looking at the road and hit the back of a stopped 6000lb Suburban hard enough to do $5k in damage to my Subaru...

2017-05-19 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

That really sucks!  Your poor WRX

Stuff like that makes me extremely nervous knowing that I often go out and ride my bike (i.e. don't have a metal cage for protection).  I try to ride in smart places and at smart times to combat that as much as possible.

2017-05-19 11:05 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'm racing a 40k TT tomorrow.  I'm a little nervous about it!  Actually, scratch that....a lot nervous!  I was hoping to be up over 200W, but I don't think that's realistic, so I won't pace it that way initially....and if I'm feeling good 20k in, I'll try to bump it up.  The humidity has come back in force, and unfortunately, the past few weeks of riding days have happened to fall on cooler/dryer days, so I didn't really acclimate to it....so it's kind of a wildcard.

I will enjoy a pre-race beer tonight....and then it gets kinda ridiculous from there.  One of our local breweries is having their 3rd anniversary tomorrow night, so I'm going....and then on Sunday, there's a wine tasting/pairing that I'm interested in.  Next Sunday, there's a new brewery that's supposedly brewing amazing beers, and they're doing a free tasting.  And the following Saturday, one of the local bars is celebrating their first anniversary.

And then after that, I'm going to try to get a little stricter on the diet and beverage-enjoyment until Chattanooga in September.

Anyone else racing this weekend?  Or have fun training plans?

2017-05-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ugh, John that stinks! I looks like the Suburban made it out of there pretty well unscathed though Hope your neck is okay!
2017-05-19 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Ugh, John that stinks! I looks like the Suburban made it out of there pretty well unscathed though Hope your neck is okay!

So how was Masters this morning? 

I plan on joining the group come summer, assuming my back gets its act together.  Swimming has caused the most inflammation so far, but I'll get there I suppose.

2017-05-19 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Wow John - UGH!  Hope you're OK.  Take it easy with the neck.  No swimming!!!  I had a neck issue take me out of swimming for like six months.  (yes, I know it's shocking that I was injured  ).

2017-05-19 3:39 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Thanks All.  For as much as having another car involved sucks, I'm glad it was the Suburban that took the brunt.  If the same car had hit me that hard with no buffer...  Makes me ill to think about since my little girl was in the back seat at the time!

Anyway was cleared by the dr to try swimming, and I did Wednesday and it went ok.  Was only a 30 min swim though will try for longer on Sunday.  Just over 3 weeks until Race Day with a 1/3 mile open water included...

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Wow John - UGH!  Hope you're OK.  Take it easy with the neck.  No swimming!!!  I had a neck issue take me out of swimming for like six months.  (yes, I know it's shocking that I was injured  ).

2017-05-19 3:40 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Nicole - good luck tomorrow with the TT!!  I wish we had those around here...  And especially - have fun at all the upcoming beer events!

2017-05-22 3:01 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Ugh, John that stinks! I looks like the Suburban made it out of there pretty well unscathed though Hope your neck is okay!

So how was Masters this morning? 

I plan on joining the group come summer, assuming my back gets its act together.  Swimming has caused the most inflammation so far, but I'll get there I suppose.

It was really good! Saturdays are outside in the summer, which is nice (except it was a little chilly Saturday). I didn't stay for the whole thing, but we did a little of each stroke for the first hour and 15 minutes. Looking forward to officially meeting you and having you as part of the Merritt Marlins! They're good people, you will like them a lot. And one of our coaches had the fusion surgery a couple years ago so will totally relate to what you are going through (that's what you had as well, right?).
2017-05-25 9:43 PM
in reply to: #5220648

User image

, California
Hey everyone. Got some catching up to do. Sorry I haven't been around. A few weeks ago we had a major health scare with our six year old that has just been hanging over our heads (obviously!). I have still been training but half heartedly. Missed quite a few workouts and wasn't really into others. So needless to say I wasn't in the mood to come here and talk about not training. Anyway, thank god the scary words have pretty much been ruled out and the little one should be fine. Also in the last few weeks was a visit from Dad, other son's first communion, and a car accident. So it's been busy.

I hope everyone's training, racing, recovering, and drinking well!

-Matt
2017-05-26 9:42 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Hey everyone. Got some catching up to do. Sorry I haven't been around. A few weeks ago we had a major health scare with our six year old that has just been hanging over our heads (obviously!). I have still been training but half heartedly. Missed quite a few workouts and wasn't really into others. So needless to say I wasn't in the mood to come here and talk about not training. Anyway, thank god the scary words have pretty much been ruled out and the little one should be fine. Also in the last few weeks was a visit from Dad, other son's first communion, and a car accident. So it's been busy. I hope everyone's training, racing, recovering, and drinking well! -Matt

Glad everything is alright with the little one.  I bet that was really frightening.

Training will always be there - family trumps all. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38452 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.