BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-05-26 9:46 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Matt - glad the little one is ok!!!  Mike is right that's more important than anything else, including training.

Also - what's the deal with car accidents lately?  

2017-05-26 1:29 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by firebert

Nicole - good luck tomorrow with the TT!!  I wish we had those around here...  And especially - have fun at all the upcoming beer events!

The TT wasn't great....had a really bad day (can read about it here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=547298&posts=1#M5221229).  The beer was good, but not great.....but have high expectations for the tastings I'll do on Sunday!

As part of my lessons learned from my TT, I'm going to try to do some more frequent racing (of shorter races) and will be starting with a sprint on Sunday morning.  It's shorter than a "typical sprint", so I figure it'll be about an hour of redlining, painful fun!  Anyone else racing?

Oh, and I'm also doing a 20' TT on Saturday to get a good estimate on my bike fitness, since last weekend was not a good gauge!  Hope everyone has a great weekend (and Happy Memorial Day to those in the US). 

X

2017-05-26 11:19 PM
in reply to: #5221187

User image

, California
Thanks everyone. It is certainly good to be back to normal. Good old boring uneventful normal life, it's a great thing that I take for granted.

On the car front I got mine back today after almost two weeks so that's good.

Have a great weekend everyone.

-Matt
2017-05-28 7:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida

Nicole - sorry to hear you had a rough TT. Don't be too hard on yourself though. You nailed it in the end of the RR - sometimes body and mind don't cooperate. Hopefully it's on a training day but sometimes it's on race day. Hopefully you learn something but if nothing else let this one drive your next race as motivation.

Edited by firebert 2017-06-01 8:38 AM
2017-05-28 7:03 AM
in reply to: #5221289

User image

DeLand, Florida
2 weeks until my first tri of the season, and my first race of any kind since the marathon in January. I wanted to do a beer 5k next weekend (June 3) - but they cancelled it due to not enough participation! Totally stinks was looking forward to it considerably. Plus wanted the warm-up for those pre-race nerves.
2017-05-28 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by firebert Nicole - sorry to hear you had a rough TT. Don't be too hard on yourself though. You nailed it in the end of the RR - sometimes body and mind don't cooperate. Hopefully it's on a reasoning day but sometimes it's on rave day. Hopefully you learn something but if nothing else let this one drive your next race as motivation.

Thanks!  I actually raced a sprint triathlon today and took the overall female win  

I truly am learning that one bad day does not define you or your fitness.  Very grateful for the opportunity to race, learn, and put those lessons to good use. 

2017-05-28 4:55 PM
in reply to: #5221290

User image

, Vermont
^^^. Awesome job, Nicole!! Saw that on Strava- you rocked it!! Well done! One bad race/workout definitely doesn't define you!!!

Hi all, I've been reading and not posting but doing my best to keep up with everyone's events. Been doing some light running of 3-4 miles or so but with Memorial Day weekend wrapping up it's beyond time to get in gear and put this winter of blah behind me. You guys have been inspiring me so when I get back from camp (opening it up this weekend), I will set up a plan to get my butt in gear finally. Pants are getting snug and I'm too cheap to buy new ones. :p
I'll type more when back from camp but keep on keeping on and inspiring others!!!
2017-05-29 12:08 AM
in reply to: #5221307

User image

, California
Had a huge confidence building weekend here. 1.3 mile ocean swim, 13.5 mile run, and 73 mile bike. I'm still standing and while tired and sore I'm not just exhausted and in pain like I thought I would be. 9 weeks out now.

-Matt
2017-05-29 12:19 PM
in reply to: #5221320

User image

, Vermont
Nice job, Matt!! That's a great effort!
2017-05-29 2:56 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Had a huge confidence building weekend here. 1.3 mile ocean swim, 13.5 mile run, and 73 mile bike. I'm still standing and while tired and sore I'm not just exhausted and in pain like I thought I would be. 9 weeks out now. -Matt

Nice work!  That's a great place to be nine weeks out from a race  

2017-05-29 2:56 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

2017-05-30 9:23 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Congrats to those of you having successful trainings and races! Nicole, way to kick butt in the sprint tri!

I have again fallen off the consistency horse. Ate and drank a lot this weekend and did not work out at all, so I'm feeling like a sloth. Woke up and ran this morning though and felt really good about it. I used runkeeper since my watch broke and I think I like not being able to see how fast I'm going. I ran about 9 minute pace and felt pretty good, especially considering I haven't run in weeks. Looking forward to getting back into a routine this week!
2017-05-30 10:54 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Looks like activity has picked up around here.  Nice race, Nicole!  Sometimes a bad race gives you the information you need to be even more successful.

I was in New Orleans for a conference last week, and of course I enjoyed the local cuisine probably a little too much.  (Mike likes him some gumbo  ).  Got in a pretty hard trainer ride (defined as - couldn't finish the prescribed 9' over/under and almost threw up LOL) plus a light swim yesterday.  Spin bike and PT today.

I pretty much have my core strength back but still can't do much in the way of twisting, so I'm pretty limited in the pool (don't ask me how I know ).  Biking is 100%, just building volume/fitness over time.  First outdoor ride planned for Saturday.

We start our yearly corporate fitness challenge later this week, so I will now be logging my workouts on BT, Garmin Connect, Strava, TrainerRoad, TP, AND my corporate contest site.

@Jenn - how's the hip thing?

2017-05-30 2:16 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Happy to hear all is going well and training catching up after some family issues and car accidents - been MIA due to way too much work and vey little time for proper training. One month to go for my IM in Austria, and last week could not be worse: 5 days out of town, just a couple runs. Saturday had planned a half ironman near Madrid to test myself prior to IM and got cancelled 24h before (!) due to some animal at risk of disapperaing being in the mating season.... Oh well. Sunday went out for a 5 hour run and after 1h had 2 flats, so my wife picked me up and did 1 more hour of spinning.... Glad lunch was with the family AND a nice, chilled verdejo wine (I love this for summer).
So this week started full of energy: today, 3600m swim @2.03 and then 10k run in 52 min. Need to do a strong week of training!!

Juan
2017-05-30 8:58 PM
in reply to: #5221339

User image

, Vermont
Way to come back, Juan. Focus on quality. You've got this.
2017-05-30 9:00 PM
in reply to: #5221451

User image

, Vermont
And Juan, I hope everyone is okay after the car accidents!! Gosh, what is up with this group and car accidents?? Making me nervous!

2017-05-30 9:08 PM
in reply to: #5221452

User image

, Vermont
I haven't been recording too many workouts ( and the smaller ones I haven't been recording at all). I just finished coaching the youth running group at the school - fun group. That's helped to keep me active along with walking with my son to school a couple of miles each day.
I think the SI joint is doing better - I have only been moderately testing it so it's time I got in gear. Still going to acupuncture (hoping tomorrow is my last one, this gets expensive after a while!)
We rapidly pulled a trigger and decided to get new flooring in my office (and painting) so I've been out straight doing all that, was up at 03:00 to start painting this morning (but not by choice). Should be able to move back in the office this weekend.
Started opening up camp this past weekend - can't wait to swim, bike, run here this summer. Good times!
Someday it will stop raining in Vermont and there will be bikes on the road again!
2017-05-31 2:07 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks Jenn, hope you finish your recovery and get back to where you were in your training! You still have rain in May in Vermont? I thought you went from ski season to beautiful sunny spring

45min spinning bike with 15min mild running, transition day....

Juan
2017-05-31 8:40 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Boot camp this morning. She kicked my as usual, but I made it through with only mild dizziness (I always get dizzy when I haven't done any HIIT workouts for awhile). Feel awesome now.

Currently planning a retirement party for my mom and a going away party for my roommate of 3.5 years, both this weekend, so I'm a bit stressed/overwhelmed, but starting the week with two good workouts has helped a lot.

Happy Hump Day!
2017-05-31 11:49 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

75' on the trainer today, supposed to be Z2/Z3, wound up being more into Z3/Z4.  Just an ugly workout but I plugged through it while watching the Tour de California time trial stage from earlier this month.  I still have to watch the final stage.

Swim tomorrow with what passes for strength training for me these days.

2017-05-31 12:28 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Life got really busy for me over the couple of months and I've been unable to stay up to date with workouts, let alone BDAS. Fortunately I've at least been getting a couple runs (road and trail) in each week. Good to see there is still activity and races going on with everyone here! I did have one cool highlight, as I was able to see Amgen Tour of California as it came through my town. I took a long lunch and saw the end of the last sprint. Attached is me sporting my BDAS jersey at the sprint finish pylon.

(bdas-amgen.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bdas-amgen.jpg (195KB - 3 downloads)

2017-05-31 7:17 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

, Vermont
^^^^ Mark, that's awesome!!!! Way to represent!!

After finishing painting the baseboards and window trim and cleaning up the office more, I went to acupuncture. Good stuff. When I got home I set about updating the dates on my excel spreadsheet of my half iron training plan for Big George - the half iron I did last year in Lake George, NY (I did the Oly's there the previous 2 years). I'm a week and a half late starting it but if I start at the "intermediate" or "just finish" programs I can swing those workouts without much base so I'll see where it goes.
The new hardwood is getting installed in my office tomorrow so I'm not sure I can even get anything in tomorrow - poor excuse....I just busted myself. I can always get a trainer ride in at o'dark thirty and there's no better time to start than tomorrow morning before they get here. Hold me accountable!!!
I will do a better job of checking in and posting here - need to get the bug again!!

Hey, I haven't seen any posts from Gretchen...how is everything going in Egypt for you, Gretchen??? I've been thinking about you often since that bus was attacked. I'm concerned for your safety.
2017-05-31 10:55 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi All,

I've been MIA the last few weeks because there really isn't much to report. I've been running as regularly as I can (23/31 days for May) but the cycling has tapered off a bit, only 2 rides in May, that's mainly weather related. But really I've just been plodding along trying to not lose all of my fitness. Really, I'm not training anymore, now I'm just exercising. And not having that A race goal on the horizon makes it tougher to put in the hard yards.

We're now less than 4 weeks away from due date. So unsurprisingly that's been more of a focus than exercise recently.

Sorry to read about all the car accidents. At least it sounds like everyone is safe, and cam through the excitement ok.

Juan, 1 month till ironman, super exciting! Sorry that the half was canceled on you, what a let down. Work hard the next few weeks. And remember if I can do it, you will have no trouble at all. Wok hard.

Nicole, I enjoyed your race reports. Great job bouncing back from a disappointing TT with a win a week later. awesome work.

Gretchen and DQ, where are you guys? hope all is well.
2017-06-01 8:58 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

DeLand, Florida

Hey all just checking in.  Took an extended Memorial Day Weekend trip to FL to hang out with family.  Fantastic weekend, but only one workout over 5 days, a long run in the heat and humidity.  Not a bad run at all.  Almost wish it was a week later (or my tri was a week earlier) so I could call it a taper and be all set.  Instead I need to catch up a bit this weekend, get that last brick in, and then taper a bit next week.  

Weather finally cleared up here in MA so I should be able to get the bike back out on the road today.  Pretty excited for that!

Nicole - read your RR about your freehub not freewheeling and, while I'm no bike expert, neither of my bikes nor my wife's bikes have done that.  Push the bike along, and ticktickticktick goes the freehub, pedals stay put.

2017-06-01 9:09 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Ok just over a week until my first tri of 2017.  Bunch of new stuff for me this season - new bike, new racing shoes (never done those before), aero bars, new full sleeve wetsuit...

Questions - Bike.  Course is a 13.5 mile loop, looks like 7 actual road intersection turns. Just over 20k, very up and down elevation but only over 120ft or so.  Aero bars or no aero bars?  I've used them on the road on 20k rides but can't stay in them the whole time...

Wetsuit - I have the cool DeSoto T1 setup, so I can go any combination of shorts/pants/vest/full sleeve.  Water temps are mid-upper 60s (BRRR!).  I will wear the bibs to have leg coverage, but in practice I have a really hard time getting out of my full sleeve top.  Which I bought just for this race BTW...  The 'cold' pool I train in at the Y is 80 deg.  I'm thinking I can't get away with the vest in those temps but wondering how much being trapped in my full sleeve top in transition is going to cost me...  To vest or to sleeve? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38634 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.