BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-06-01 12:05 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Originally posted by firebert

Ok just over a week until my first tri of 2017.  Bunch of new stuff for me this season - new bike, new racing shoes (never done those before), aero bars, new full sleeve wetsuit...

Questions - Bike.  Course is a 13.5 mile loop, looks like 7 actual road intersection turns. Just over 20k, very up and down elevation but only over 120ft or so.  Aero bars or no aero bars?  I've used them on the road on 20k rides but can't stay in them the whole time...

Wetsuit - I have the cool DeSoto T1 setup, so I can go any combination of shorts/pants/vest/full sleeve.  Water temps are mid-upper 60s (BRRR!).  I will wear the bibs to have leg coverage, but in practice I have a really hard time getting out of my full sleeve top.  Which I bought just for this race BTW...  The 'cold' pool I train in at the Y is 80 deg.  I'm thinking I can't get away with the vest in those temps but wondering how much being trapped in my full sleeve top in transition is going to cost me...  To vest or to sleeve? 

For me, anything over like 65 puts me in sleeveless territory.

For the bike, the weight impact of having them on there is minimal, so I'd leave them on and use them when you can (especially on the straight downhills).  I'm in and out of them all the time.

2017-06-01 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Nicole - read your RR about your freehub not freewheeling and, while I'm no bike expert, neither of my bikes nor my wife's bikes have done that.  Push the bike along, and ticktickticktick goes the freehub, pedals stay put.

I contacted Flo and they told me it should not do that.  None of my others have ever done that, so I figured that was the case...

Either way, I'll be taking it apart and rebuilding it in hopes of fixing it....if that doesn't work, I'll get back in touch with Flo and see what we need to do.  They have great customer service, so I know we'll get it taken care of!

2017-06-01 1:22 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Ok just over a week until my first tri of 2017.  Bunch of new stuff for me this season - new bike, new racing shoes (never done those before), aero bars, new full sleeve wetsuit...

Questions - Bike.  Course is a 13.5 mile loop, looks like 7 actual road intersection turns. Just over 20k, very up and down elevation but only over 120ft or so.  Aero bars or no aero bars?  I've used them on the road on 20k rides but can't stay in them the whole time...

Wetsuit - I have the cool DeSoto T1 setup, so I can go any combination of shorts/pants/vest/full sleeve.  Water temps are mid-upper 60s (BRRR!).  I will wear the bibs to have leg coverage, but in practice I have a really hard time getting out of my full sleeve top.  Which I bought just for this race BTW...  The 'cold' pool I train in at the Y is 80 deg.  I'm thinking I can't get away with the vest in those temps but wondering how much being trapped in my full sleeve top in transition is going to cost me...  To vest or to sleeve? 

For me, anything over like 65 puts me in sleeveless territory.

For the bike, the weight impact of having them on there is minimal, so I'd leave them on and use them when you can (especially on the straight downhills).  I'm in and out of them all the time.

Agreed that you should keep the aero bars on there and use them if/when you can.

As for the wetsuit, how long is the swim? You will be faster in the full sleeved suit, so you can weigh how much faster you are versus how much time you think you'll lose in transition getting the top off.  Is it possible that some body glide or tri slide or some other lubricant could help with removal?  Is it getting stuck on your watch or anything?  You may want to practice taking it off so you can take advantage of it in your race....at those temperatures, I'd be in a full sleeve for sure!

2017-06-01 1:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida

Thanks both!

Just went for a 20k ride with the bars on.  I've got them adjusted now to where I'm quite comfortable in them as long as road conditions and traffic allow.  I'll definitely keep them on for the tri thanks!

For the swim - it's 1/3 mile.  I'm also slllooooowwww in the water, so not sure how much faster sleeves will make me.  The issue with taking it off wasn't so much that it was stuck (though I had zero body glide on at the time), it was getting my shoulders to let my arms go behind me and over my head enough to get it to move...  Because it's a 2 piece you don't zip from the top down then strip; it zips from the bottom then has to go off over your head.  

I'll probably bring both the vest and the full sleeve top and make a game time decision.  In the meanwhile I'll practice getting it on and off.

Edited by firebert 2017-06-01 1:31 PM
2017-06-01 9:33 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Thanks both!

Just went for a 20k ride with the bars on.  I've got them adjusted now to where I'm quite comfortable in them as long as road conditions and traffic allow.  I'll definitely keep them on for the tri thanks!

For the swim - it's 1/3 mile.  I'm also slllooooowwww in the water, so not sure how much faster sleeves will make me.  The issue with taking it off wasn't so much that it was stuck (though I had zero body glide on at the time), it was getting my shoulders to let my arms go behind me and over my head enough to get it to move...  Because it's a 2 piece you don't zip from the top down then strip; it zips from the bottom then has to go off over your head.  

I'll probably bring both the vest and the full sleeve top and make a game time decision.  In the meanwhile I'll practice getting it on and off.

Another +1 from me for using the aero bars. Like the others said there's no real down side to having them there when you're not using them, and a big upside when you do.

For the wetsuit, I've never used a 2 piece, but I always swim in my full sleeve wetsuit in open water. You reminded me of an article from 'that other tri website' from earlier in the year. The link is here: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Wetsuit_by_brand/The_Slowtwitch_...
But this is the relevant part of the article:

A fullsuit is a long-arm suit. The only time it is NOT faster is if it fits you badly. A longjohn (sleeveless) suit will be faster in the water than a badly fitting fullsuit because longjohns don't have to fit as well in order to work. The main justification for buying a longjohn, besides price, is if you overheat easily and you're going to be in a borderline wetsuit-illegal swim, and you'll be in the water for a long time.

So if yours fits, and I assume it does, sleeves are the way to go.
2017-06-02 9:14 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Happy Friday everyone.  Got my spin bike and PT/strength session in this morning, looking to hang outside on the water this afternoon and have some of our favorite beverages.    First outdoor ride since like October planned for tomorrow, looking at like 30 miles or so.

@Nicole (Balt) - good luck with your parties, that can be more exhausting than training!

2017-06-02 9:50 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Nice feeling Mike!

Andrew, thanks for your support, hope to be as optimistic as you are till the end of the race.

John, agree with the rest: keep the aerobars, at some point they will be useful (and - you look much better on the pictures!)

Yesterday 3400m swim @2.06 and 1h spinning bike. Not sure what I will be able to do today, but tomorrow 5h bike ride and Sunday >2h run.... looking forward to it!! Have a great weekend!

Juan

Happy Friday everyone.  Got my spin bike and PT/strength session in this morning, looking to hang outside on the water this afternoon and have some of our favorite beverages.    First outdoor ride since like October planned for tomorrow, looking at like 30 miles or so.

@Nicole (Balt) - good luck with your parties, that can be more exhausting than training!

2017-06-02 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Woot!  First outdoor ride -- that's exciting!  Enjoy!

2017-06-02 12:38 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

DeLand, Florida

+1 more - way to get back at it, out of the gate with a 30 miler!  

2017-06-02 12:41 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Thanks all for your responses.  Aero bars are staying right where they are!

I'll try putting on and taking off the sleeved wetsuit top throughout the week and see if I can't figure it out.

Separately - I just learned a ton about brake adjustment, after changing from my trainer wheel to my road wheel and finding that the brake pad was rubbing on the tire.  That's right, not the rim, the tire. Whole separate level of adjustment.  And let me share my experience - you do not need to disassemble the caliper to do it

2017-06-02 4:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Berlin, Berlin

I just got back on Tuesday from my ride over the Alps & it was amazing! 380km in the end

A high / low point was that my pedal fell off 6km from the top of the Brenner pass but as it is the middle of nowhere (i.e. in the alps) I had to pedal one-footed over the top and coast another 20 downhill to get to a mechanic! Big drama at the time but felt like a massive achievement the next day. The upside was that it stopped my ride-partner from complaining about the hills after that :D

Surprise surprise, the dolomites are very bloody hilly! We also managed to get in a couple of long swims in the mountain lakes

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPoLF1dObKBlRQy91Vn6--sodoxplZZSU7VkIsrqiGXoTIhtfG7zy2DQRW_uhVsmw/photo/AF1QipPAy1rf7uMVVX2e4gJki4ufGcWds13nzvPkEGMM?key=U0lrM09pNjhVMDdTbVVacFEzT0I0UGdPUUV6MG5R 

Yesterday though I went running and my legs have forgotten to do anything but pedal. They are complete wood :D

Triathlon is in a week so I need to get my legs back in gear. I have a 10k tomorrow morning and hopefully that will loosen things up

Edited by lowdon 2017-06-02 4:07 PM

2017-06-02 5:25 PM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

OMG, that is my kind of adventure!!!  So cool!  Do you have pictures?  Would love to see them!

Hope the 10k goes well tomorrow....and the triathlon next weekend

2017-06-03 8:40 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, California
Ben - that truly is a massive accomplishment and a fun story. I second the request for pics.

Juan - how'd the big weekend start off? Did the ride go well?

I'm finishing up a recovery week. Holy cow it was needed, I feel great. A week of less volume, less intensity, one less work day (and early wake up), and a massage.....I really feel great. Did my ocean swim and an hour run this morning. Sunday is a 2h30m ride / 1h run brick to end week 16.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

-Matt
2017-06-04 2:03 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Ben - that truly is a massive accomplishment and a fun story. I second the request for pics.

Juan - how'd the big weekend start off? Did the ride go well?

I'm finishing up a recovery week. Holy cow it was needed, I feel great. A week of less volume, less intensity, one less work day (and early wake up), and a massage.....I really feel great. Did my ocean swim and an hour run this morning. Sunday is a 2h30m ride / 1h run brick to end week 16.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

-Matt

Ben - beautiful area to ride and what a story to tell to go UP on one pedal..... 1+ to see pics (beyond the amazing view in your video)

Matt - recovery weeks are great, and you feel like wanting to train again (I read that Mohamed Ali hated every minute of his trainings, but went through it to live like a champ). Weekend went great, 140km solo ride on my TT bike, 5 hours, so getting there....today 2h run (20km), this is going to be the toughest part of the IM, the run - but hey, still 4 weeks to go! Lot of training this week, fortunately no traveling, and Sunday I will be doing a Gran Fondo ride with other 500 riders, 160km with almost 3000m accumulated drop (not sure if this is a term you use to explain how much you go up in a ride).

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Juan
2017-06-05 2:29 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

DeLand, Florida

Wow long course races shaping up in a hurry!  You guys are going to kick a$$!

Ben - agreed that's the adventure of a lifetime!

2017-06-05 4:23 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Berlin, Berlin

You've all asked for it. I will be bombarding this thread with pics at some point this week :D

Juan- Those are serious numbers!

2017-06-08 3:24 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by lowdon

You've all asked for it. I will be bombarding this thread with pics at some point this week :D

C'mon, where are those pics? Would love to see them!

Two last days only 1h spinning each day, tomorrow 3h run, trying to organize food & drink at some point, it is getting too hot to run 3h without any water....

Gretchen, how is life going??

Juan
2017-06-08 3:30 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

3 hours no water?  Wow!  I won't go 6 miles (10k) without water, and longer than that I need some kind of electrolyte/glucose replacement

2017-06-08 3:34 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Ok it's one day until packet pickup 2 days until race day for me.  First tri of 2017.  Totally ready for the distances, but still nervous as I always am pre-race.  Yes even days before the race.  Like a week usually...

Confession time - I shaved my legs for this race.  It's a sprint.  Best I can hope for is a 30 second improvement on the bike split based on the old '1 min per 40k' metric from Specialized's wind tunnel testing.  I had a 10 mile ride yesterday and actually went slower, but also got hung up in a line of traffic at a stop sign at a terrible intersection at rush hour time.  I'll let you know how the race goes.

However - the gains in the pool were undeniable.  Instant 20sec/100yds for free on a 1000yd workout (taper week).  Too bad this race is a wetsuit swim but I''ll keep that one in mind for my summer triathlons!

Anyone else racing this weekend?

2017-06-08 10:49 PM
in reply to: #5221674

User image

, California
Nice John, good luck! No racing for me. It's a bummer as a great local tri is on Sunday and 90% of the people in our open water swim squad are doing it, but I have a huge weekend planned so I can't justify breaking up the distance for a short race with only 7 weeks to go. It will still be here next year!

-Matt
2017-06-09 11:10 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Juancho

Originally posted by lowdon

C'mon, where are those pics? Would love to see them!

Two last days only 1h spinning each day, tomorrow 3h run, trying to organize food & drink at some point, it is getting too hot to run 3h without any water....

Gretchen, how is life going??

Juan

Life is going well!! We are down to the last week, so things are getting VERY busy. Okay, they have always been busy, but now it is just downright insane. I work pretty much from about 6am until dinner at 6pm, then collapse and get up at 3:30-4am in the morning to get in my run before starting it all over again. Sorry for being out of the loop lately! I just logged on today while I'm downloading books on our day off. Yes, one day off a week, and I spent over half of it working. Ahhh...the "fun" of being in charge! No one ever tells you that as a kid.

Eight mile run this morning in the HOT desert. Seriously, 116F today. Can't wait to get home next week!!!

New developments this morning: I've been invited to Copenhagen at the end of September to be a moderator/discussant for a conference on Ancient Egyptian life and cities. It is a great opportunity, but the issue is it is the weekend before my HIM. I'm leaning toward going--after all, in the world of Tri, the week before a HIM is taper. I'll need something to keep me from going crazy!! Any thoughts/advice/comments? I'd love to hear about your pre-HIM schedules/rituals/etc.

2017-06-09 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Anyone else racing this weekend?

Hope you have a great race!

A friend of mine had signed up for a sprint tri this weekend, but injured himself and wasn't able do to anything but swim.  I offered to bike and run for him if he was able to transfer to the relay division, so I'll be biking and running in a sprint tri this weekend!

Didn't alter any of my other training throughout the week and will be doing a long ride tomorrow, but it should still be fun.  My body doesn't like to taper for short races anyways....a little bit of tightness and fatigue in the muscles is good for the short, hard stuff. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend of training or racing

2017-06-10 4:36 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

New user
Madrid
Weekend training going as planned: yesterday almost 3h run (yes, could have fountain water at km 13, 18 and 23, but running at 95ºF is not my preferred option). Today took it off as tomorrow is the Gran Fondo (160km).

John - good luck on your race! And after your confession time: I see most young triathletes shave legs (and most body parts), how much of this is related to performance and how much to just fashion? It would be fun to watch my teenage kids face...

Matt - how is your IM training? looking good?

Gretchen - running in the dessert @46ºC is no fun, I though there was no life at that temp! Regarding your invitation to Copenhagen preHIM, I would do it, no doubt. I travel constantly from Europe to Asia or America, sometimes a bit more than I would like, and this make me re-schedule my training plan continuously, but a) you will be in your tapering week, b) extra motivation from traveling is always a plus, and c) the work for the HIM will done by then, so enjoy your trip, your debate and have fun in the race. If you can rest a bit on the plane, jet lag will be over with your training.

Juan
2017-06-10 10:07 AM
in reply to: #5222027

User image

, California
Training going well. I had Friday off from work and got in all three disciplines. An hour distance swim in the pool in the morning, long and slow like the race. Then a brick after lunch - 1h30m / 45m.

Saturday afternoon will be a 2h30m Run which will take me between 13-15 miles depending on how I feel.

Sunday will be 5+ hour ride solo, and then a 45 min recovery run later.

Have a great race John and everyone enjoy the weekend and training.

-Matt
2017-06-11 8:34 PM
in reply to: #5222119

User image

, California
A lot of "firsts" when training for an Ironman. This week a couple more. My first swim of longer than an hour without stopping. First 80 mile ride. And first 16 hour training week.

Very happy with how I feel right now. 80 miles today and I'm not even drained. Felt like what 20 did just recently. There's definitely been rough patches through this, right now I'm having a good one. I hope this can last 7 more weeks.

-Matt
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38377 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.