BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-06-12 2:26 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Berlin, Berlin
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Nice one Matt! Sounds like you're in the right shape

I had my first Sprint yesterday & had a great time. I was not looking forward to the swim, but despite the fact that alllll my crawl training went out the window in the pack I'm really happy. The only downside is that like a rookie, I lost my chip somewhere at the beginning, so had to get the officials to log my time at the end. All good though

Final time was 1:32:07. Thanks for all your help over the last couple of months! I'm already looking to book my next

2017-06-12 7:30 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Juancho Gretchen - running in the dessert @46ºC is no fun, I though there was no life at that temp! Regarding your invitation to Copenhagen preHIM, I would do it, no doubt. I travel constantly from Europe to Asia or America, sometimes a bit more than I would like, and this make me re-schedule my training plan continuously, but a) you will be in your tapering week, b) extra motivation from traveling is always a plus, and c) the work for the HIM will done by then, so enjoy your trip, your debate and have fun in the race. If you can rest a bit on the plane, jet lag will be over with your training. Juan

What Juan said!  Definitely do it!

2017-06-12 7:35 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

Matt - holy cow that's craziness.  Glad you're taking all those hours in stride and doing well!  Not gonna lie, was originally planning an Oly for September this year, but in the water on a 1/3 mile swim in my race Saturday, decided the jump to .9 mi was too great.  2.4?  Pfffffffffff....  :D

Ben - congrats!  The first is the best.  Now you're a triathlete, and no one can take that away from you.  Also now you have a goal time to beat when you do the same race next year!

2017-06-12 7:51 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Last post for now - the race Saturday went pretty well.  In some respects ok, in some respects very well, averaging out to 'pretty well' lol.

Swim - I did about as well as I could have expected, though I hoped for better with the full sleeved wetsuit on.  I didn't factor in being my first full sleeved wetsuit swim and not being used to the tightness of it, and the water temp affecting my breathing.  66 degrees F, that's cold for me even in a wetsuit.  It didn't feel that cold getting in, but trying to swim in it - I just couldn't catch my breath.  (1:58/100yd)

T1 - lol.  I had one of those T1s where you know it didn't go well, but you look at the time and think "what did I order out for pizza and wait for delivery?  What took so long?!" (3:12)

Bike - so awesome.  Rolling little hills, most would consider the course flat  Passed many, got passed by a few tri bikes with Zipps, and one lady older than me on an endurance bike with no aero bars.  However, and this is good news for any of you men toying with the idea of leg shaving, it was a PR avg speed.  By a full mph.  To an outsider I know that sounds like nothing but for me 1 mph is huge! (19.6mph)

T2 - must have been eating that pizza I ordered (2:18)

Run - slow for me, still.  I had a fantastic year with the run my first year in tri, then dropped a min/mile off my own pace the last two seasons.  Wish I knew where my speed went.  Probably to the bike... (8:36/mi)

Anyway I finished strong and not completely spent, which I'm totally fine with for my 'B' race.  Lots to improve on as the season goes on.  And, I finished 4th in the usually terribly competitive 40-44 AG.  Now, there were only 10 of us so that puts me at my usual 'MOP' position (Middle Of Pack).  Also, the guy in 3rd spot on the podium in my AG was 5 minutes ahead of me.  5 minutes, in a sprint, that's like a week.  A week spent in transition apparently researching different translations of Homer's Odyssey from ancient Greek.

I'll get an RR up later, for now it's Monday and I have at least a thousand meetings to attend to.

2017-06-12 8:34 AM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by lowdon

Nice one Matt! Sounds like you're in the right shape

I had my first Sprint yesterday & had a great time. I was not looking forward to the swim, but despite the fact that alllll my crawl training went out the window in the pack I'm really happy. The only downside is that like a rookie, I lost my chip somewhere at the beginning, so had to get the officials to log my time at the end. All good though

Final time was 1:32:07. Thanks for all your help over the last couple of months! I'm already looking to book my next

Congratulations on your first tri - that's awesome.  And that first swim is always an adventure.  I took so long that my wife was about to swim out and get me during my first one. 

2017-06-12 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by firebert

Last post for now - the race Saturday went pretty well.  In some respects ok, in some respects very well, averaging out to 'pretty well' lol.

Swim - I did about as well as I could have expected, though I hoped for better with the full sleeved wetsuit on.  I didn't factor in being my first full sleeved wetsuit swim and not being used to the tightness of it, and the water temp affecting my breathing.  66 degrees F, that's cold for me even in a wetsuit.  It didn't feel that cold getting in, but trying to swim in it - I just couldn't catch my breath.  (1:58/100yd)

T1 - lol.  I had one of those T1s where you know it didn't go well, but you look at the time and think "what did I order out for pizza and wait for delivery?  What took so long?!" (3:12)

Bike - so awesome.  Rolling little hills, most would consider the course flat  Passed many, got passed by a few tri bikes with Zipps, and one lady older than me on an endurance bike with no aero bars.  However, and this is good news for any of you men toying with the idea of leg shaving, it was a PR avg speed.  By a full mph.  To an outsider I know that sounds like nothing but for me 1 mph is huge! (19.6mph)

T2 - must have been eating that pizza I ordered (2:18)

Run - slow for me, still.  I had a fantastic year with the run my first year in tri, then dropped a min/mile off my own pace the last two seasons.  Wish I knew where my speed went.  Probably to the bike... (8:36/mi)

Anyway I finished strong and not completely spent, which I'm totally fine with for my 'B' race.  Lots to improve on as the season goes on.  And, I finished 4th in the usually terribly competitive 40-44 AG.  Now, there were only 10 of us so that puts me at my usual 'MOP' position (Middle Of Pack).  Also, the guy in 3rd spot on the podium in my AG was 5 minutes ahead of me.  5 minutes, in a sprint, that's like a week.  A week spent in transition apparently researching different translations of Homer's Odyssey from ancient Greek.

I'll get an RR up later, for now it's Monday and I have at least a thousand meetings to attend to.

IF you read through my race reports, you will see various references to picnics and bottles of wine during my transitions. 

Nice race - I was wondering how that wetsuit was going to be for you.  For colder water, I just stick my head in it for a few minutes beforehand to get that initial breathing shock over with.

2017-06-12 9:56 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All! My wife just sent me an email (I'm still in Egypt) saying that she wants to buy me a powermeter for my birthday (two weeks ago, but hey, I'm still in Egypt). She wants to know what kind to get. Before she comes to her senses, I'd like to have a suggestion for her, but I'm totally ignorant about power meters. I read training with power (okay, I read the first chapter of Training with Power) about the different types of meters and such and I was totally confused. Does anyone train with power? What should I buy?!?!?! Do I have to get an additional bike computer, or will it interface with my 920? If I have to get another computer, where the heck do I put it, between the aerobars? Oy! Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!!
2017-06-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hi All! My wife just sent me an email (I'm still in Egypt) saying that she wants to buy me a powermeter for my birthday (two weeks ago, but hey, I'm still in Egypt). She wants to know what kind to get. Before she comes to her senses, I'd like to have a suggestion for her, but I'm totally ignorant about power meters. I read training with power (okay, I read the first chapter of Training with Power) about the different types of meters and such and I was totally confused. Does anyone train with power? What should I buy?!?!?! Do I have to get an additional bike computer, or will it interface with my 920? If I have to get another computer, where the heck do I put it, between the aerobars? Oy! Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!!

That's an awesome wife!!! 

I train and race with power and I love it.  There is something of a learning curve and if you don't spend the time to learn and understand what it's telling you, it's really just an overpriced metric....but if you use it for the tool it can be, it's awesome.  What kind of budget are you looking at?  That will steer your choices for what to get.  If you want to do a ton of reading, check this out: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/power-meters-buyers-guide2016-edition.html

Your 920 will pair with an ANT+ power meter (most / all of them).  That said, I like to have a separate bike computer for ease of viewing (and not having to worry about one of those quick releases, where I've heard too many horror stories about it getting kicked off in the swim).  I have my computer mounted on top of the bottle cage I have between my aero bars: http://www.trisports.com/speedfil-z4-bottle-cage-with-garmin-arm.html

I have a Quarq on my race bike and a less-expensive 4iiii on my trainer bike.  Both are crank-based, but there are other options as well (hub, pedal)....each has their own set of pros and cons.  Take a look through DCR's reviews and I'm happy to share any information I may know.  This is exciting!

2017-06-12 1:23 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Matt congrats on your first tri! How exciting!

John, your report made me lol. I'm glad the tri went "pretty well"!

Gretchen, great to hear from you! Definitely go on the trip. You are a rockstar and will be fine and I know nothing about power meters, but yay for your wife getting you that!

I was a (drunk) waste of life this weekend. Had a super fun wedding Saturday. Seriously, the DJ was TOO good. I wanted to sit down but every song he played had to be danced to. Anyway, I failed at doing any training this weekend so am going to have to get back at it this week!
2017-06-12 4:53 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Congrats John! Sounds like it went really well! I loved the ride bit in mine too. Something great about steaming past all the carbon on my steel horse :D

Where was your race?

2017-06-12 10:15 PM
in reply to: #5222178

User image

, Vermont
Hi all, yes I'm still here and reading everyone's posts.

Gretchen, I also have a 920xt and have it paired with dual powertap pedals via Bluetooth . I went with pedals over a crank arm because I could more easily swap them between my road bike and tri bike. Plus my crank arms are actually different lengths on each bike. That's what works for me.
Other than that, everything Nicole mentioned is gold. D.C. Rainmaker has good beta.
Good luck on the decision, you won't be disappointed. That's a good wife!

2017-06-13 11:27 AM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by lowdon

Congrats John! Sounds like it went really well! I loved the ride bit in mine too. Something great about steaming past all the carbon on my steel horse :D

Where was your race?

Steel horse!  Good for you!

Race was in Wareham, MA.  I'm positive it takes it's name from a town/city in England, as so many do here in Massachusetts.  In any case the location was beautiful - swim and run were completely on AD Makepeace (cranberry growers) property.  The bike went on local roads, most were quiet the non-quiet one had plenty of police blocking traffic.

2017-06-13 11:28 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

DeLand, Florida

Gretchen, Jenn, ON - good to hear from you all!

ON there's no such think as a drunk waste of life when there's a wedding involved and a good DJ - glad you had fun!

2017-06-13 11:30 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

RR is up from my Sprint this past weekend:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=547521&mid=5222303#M5222303

but you guys already knew pretty much everything in there.  The interesting thing at least for me is that, while I was 5th in my AG in the swim, I was 3rd in the bike and the run.  And I missed the 3rd spot on the podium (this organizer does awards top 3 in every AG) by 5 full minutes.  I know I was slow on the swim but must have lost the better part of that difference in Transition.  It really is the 4th sport.

2017-06-14 2:09 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Matt congrats on your first tri! How exciting! John, your report made me lol. I'm glad the tri went "pretty well"! Gretchen, great to hear from you! Definitely go on the trip. You are a rockstar and will be fine and I know nothing about power meters, but yay for your wife getting you that! I was a (drunk) waste of life this weekend. Had a super fun wedding Saturday. Seriously, the DJ was TOO good. I wanted to sit down but every song he played had to be danced to. Anyway, I failed at doing any training this weekend so am going to have to get back at it this week!

Sounds like training to me.  

2017-06-14 2:12 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hi all, yes I'm still here and reading everyone's posts. Gretchen, I also have a 920xt and have it paired with dual powertap pedals via Bluetooth . I went with pedals over a crank arm because I could more easily swap them between my road bike and tri bike. Plus my crank arms are actually different lengths on each bike. That's what works for me. Other than that, everything Nicole mentioned is gold. D.C. Rainmaker has good beta. Good luck on the decision, you won't be disappointed. That's a good wife!

I'm another that uses/trains with power.  I have an older Powertap hub and I've paired it with the Trainerroad app, my 920XT, and like Nicole also my Garmin bike computer (Edge 800) for ease of viewing.  I have one of those little Garmin mounts on the aerobar (when they're on the bike) and the handlebars (when they're not attached).  I'm still on the learning curve riding outdoors; I've been using Trainerroad for almost six years (!!!) now so I've been using their "virtual power" for forever and now the Powertap.  

2017-06-16 9:34 AM
in reply to: #5222261

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I've pretty much decided on a powertap G3 power meter. Anything Dcrainmaker describes as bulletproof is gonna rank high on my list! Exploring the cost difference in buying one already on a wheel or having lbs install it. My LBS always seems quite pricy for service work, so it will probably be the former. I really don't want another wheel cluttering up the house/garage though!!

For the first time in over a dozen trips to Egypt, my hotel has a gym! Up this morning for a ride and some strength training. It was an upright stationary bike, but at least it was something!! Tomorrow is a full day of travel, starting at 3am. Still trying to decide if I should get up at midnight to fit in a workout before I head to the airport.
2017-06-16 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by drfoodloveI've pretty much decided on a powertap G3 power meter. Anything Dcrainmaker describes as bulletproof is gonna rank high on my list! Exploring the cost difference in buying one already on a wheel or having lbs install it. My LBS always seems quite pricy for service work, so it will probably be the former. I really don't want another wheel cluttering up the house/garage though!!For the first time in over a dozen trips to Egypt, my hotel has a gym! Up this morning for a ride and some strength training. It was an upright stationary bike, but at least it was something!! Tomorrow is a full day of travel, starting at 3am. Still trying to decide if I should get up at midnight to fit in a workout before I head to the airport.
Get up at midnight?? Now that would be FIERCE!!! I'm traveling today as well, though it's only a 50 minute flight from Hartford to Baltimore. The upright bike at the hotel gym was broken AND the dang pool was closed, so I improvised and did some incline treadmill walking and my PT/core work.Congrats on the PM - welcome to the dark side. :-O

Edited by jmhpsu93 2017-06-16 10:32 AM
2017-06-16 5:22 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Airport transit got moved up to 2am, so there was no actual "getting up", per se...just staying up. I did hit the gym at 11:30 after going out for a last night with a dear friend. Too much food and beer was consumed and the gym was way too hot. In the end, it turned into more of a fast walk than a run. Extra complication was the ceiling--very low. When I ran my hair was brushing the ceiling!
2017-06-17 3:00 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Gretchen - getting up at midnight!!!! That´s when egiptians go to bed, understand it was more like staying over... I was given as a present a Garmin power meter for my IM training and have to admit that, even though I love gadgets, I have not discovered the benefits of this one (yet). Nicole advice is great, she is an expert as I read from her.

Ben - congrats, nothing like the best! Still remember VERY well my first finish line!

John - enjoyed very much reading your RR, specially the transitions stories, time goes by so quickly there, but if I could order a pizza, I would.

Nicole - fun weekend!!! That counts as a workout, no doubt...

Matt - jealous to see your weeks following the plan 100%

I had a not too bad week, with some traveling. Starting tapering as in 2 weeks I will in IM Austria. Today "only" 4 hours of bike with quite a good speed, a few months ago this would be way too much, today it seemed that I needed more. Last sunday we had the Gran Fondo, with 6 nice climbs (2 of them really tough, in fact they are part of Vuelta de España route), 170km and 7 hours and 22 minutes on the bike, longest ride and longest time on the saddle!

Hope you all are having a great weekend,
Juan

2017-06-18 3:28 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

(FullSizeRender.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
FullSizeRender.jpg (56KB - 3 downloads)

2017-06-18 3:29 PM
in reply to: #5222531

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Happy Father's Day to all our dads in the group!!

Hanging today with my dad after finally making it home yesterday at midnight (a 32 hour trip).
2017-06-18 5:10 PM
in reply to: #5222590

User image

, California
Happy Father's Day to everyone. Hope the weekend training is going well.

Juan - don't be jealous. After telling you all how well I feel, I got a bit under the weather this week and very cautiously took two unplanned days off. So it goes. However I did get key sessions in at the end including a 2.5hr / 1 hr bike run brick and a 1 hour open water swim. Feeling ready for my biggest weeks now.

Juan I am now jealous of you starting to taper!! Congrats on making it this far. You sound ready for the IM in a couple weeks.

-Matt
2017-06-19 7:54 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

New user
Madrid
hahaha - life gets in the middle, but I always think it is only my life -and not others life- who gets busy, and all of you do your planned workouts. Relieved to see that is all over!
People complain about tapering, I am actually enjoying it so far, may be will get worse, but just the though of not so long runs/rides makes me feel good...
Wish we could do some training together, Matt.

Juan

Originally posted by Tavo2311

Happy Father's Day to everyone. Hope the weekend training is going well.

Juan - don't be jealous. After telling you all how well I feel, I got a bit under the weather this week and very cautiously took two unplanned days off. So it goes. However I did get key sessions in at the end including a 2.5hr / 1 hr bike run brick and a 1 hour open water swim. Feeling ready for my biggest weeks now.

Juan I am now jealous of you starting to taper!! Congrats on making it this far. You sound ready for the IM in a couple weeks.

-Matt
2017-06-19 1:36 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Juan - that is a heck of a day in the saddle right  there!  And Vuelta a Espana climbs no less... Also have I mentioned I love your bike?  

Gretchen - welcome home!  What a long trip!!!

Sounds like everyone is hitting their stride in training and race season, which is great!

Had the annual Father's Day 5k yesterday (a family tradition).  My 7 year old daughter ran it for the first time!  So proud!!  She ran with my wife so I could go my own pace, which was good enough for top 5% of finishers.  Slower than my PR 5k by about a minute but I don't know if I'll get another PR...

Back into the swing of things for me - 5 weeks till my next Tri.  And after that, I have zero booked.  I want to do another Tri in early September, and want to get some cycling only events on the calendar (though not as long or hilly as Juan's!).  There's one in Newport, RI called the Four Bridges Ride I've had my eye on.  'Only' 26 miles, and the hill climbs are the bridges over Narragansett Bay.  Pretty cool.  Still thinking about a Half or full Marathon in October...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38755 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.