BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-06-20 1:17 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by firebert

Juan - that is a heck of a day in the saddle right  there!  And Vuelta a Espana climbs no less... Also have I mentioned I love your bike?  

Gretchen - welcome home!  What a long trip!!!

Sounds like everyone is hitting their stride in training and race season, which is great!

Had the annual Father's Day 5k yesterday (a family tradition).  My 7 year old daughter ran it for the first time!  So proud!!  She ran with my wife so I could go my own pace, which was good enough for top 5% of finishers.  Slower than my PR 5k by about a minute but I don't know if I'll get another PR...

Back into the swing of things for me - 5 weeks till my next Tri.  And after that, I have zero booked.  I want to do another Tri in early September, and want to get some cycling only events on the calendar (though not as long or hilly as Juan's!).  There's one in Newport, RI called the Four Bridges Ride I've had my eye on.  'Only' 26 miles, and the hill climbs are the bridges over Narragansett Bay.  Pretty cool.  Still thinking about a Half or full Marathon in October...

Proud parent with your young daughter already involved in 5Ks!! Congrats!
I am really happy with my Argon bike John, not ony the looks but the comfort riding it - my TT bike is a QR but I like this one much better. If you want to try it, just let me know, all yours! After all these training, I realized that biking is really what I enjoy the most, and even though I have done a lot of 10k and some half marathons, the "only bike" events are really amazing: usually beautiful parts of the country -that otherwise, I would miss-, you ride in a peloton lot of the time, which is pure cycling, and the atmosphere is great. I will try to do more of these one IM is done.

Juan

2017-06-20 8:30 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Juancho 

Proud parent with your young daughter already involved in 5Ks!! Congrats! I am really happy with my Argon bike John, not ony the looks but the comfort riding it - my TT bike is a QR but I like this one much better. If you want to try it, just let me know, all yours! After all these training, I realized that biking is really what I enjoy the most, and even though I have done a lot of 10k and some half marathons, the "only bike" events are really amazing: usually beautiful parts of the country -that otherwise, I would miss-, you ride in a peloton lot of the time, which is pure cycling, and the atmosphere is great. I will try to do more of these one IM is done. Juan

Juan, I'm really happy to hear this.  I used to be the runner who got into Tri to break up the run training and get into other sports to cross train.  I've grown to love the bike more than anything else.  I think this is what I need to do with the rest of my season - explore the bike more.  Longer slower rides, group rides, organized charity rides, etc.

The next time I find myself near Madrid I will be certain to take it for a spin!  I REALLY wanted one, shopped far and wide for it, but we have no dealers anywhere remotely close to me.  I love my Felt and won't trade it now, but I got it because I had a LBS who had it in stock and I could sit on it and ride it.  The Argon would have been ordered off the internet and I didn't want to risk it not fitting.

Ok off to look for cycling events this summer!

2017-06-20 8:51 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Speaking of the Peloton - TdF gets rolling soon!  Gretchen I know you said it was the most boring thing you ever watched, and I can understand.  Cycling is like the opposite of most sports.  Like Football (American) anyone can tune in and watch the Super Bowl and see lots of action.  The Tour de France is Cycling's Super Bowl, but instead of one 60 minute event it's 21 racing days EACH with 4+ hours of television coverage.  You have to want it to get through all that!

Let me break down any given stage in a stage race, such as the Tour de France.  It's like 6 hours of racing.  The first 5 and a half hours are who went out in the breakaway ahead of the peloton, when the peloton is going to catch them (nearly always do), and which teams need to keep their best rider toward the front.  The last 30 minutes (if that!) are setting up for the finish of the stage.  How the finish shakes out depends on whether it's a 'sprinter's stage' (mostly flat, usually with a flat finish) or a 'climber's stage' (mostly mountains, usually with an uphill finish).  The sprint stage will have everyone finish basically at the same time.  The climber's stage will bust the peloton into groups.  

Because of the excessive TV coverage and excessive number of stages, the TdF is like the worst race to watch (followed closely by the Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a Espana).  Anyone looking to see the excitement of cycling on TV is better to watch one of the Spring Classics.  Paris-Roubaix is probably the most famous/most important.  It's one stage, there are climbs, there are cobbled sections (literally medieval cobblestone roads), the breakaway is much more likely to succeed.  Much more action. More attacks.  More breaking up of the peloton into groups. No one can make up time tomorrow on the time trial or the mountain stage - today is it. 

Also a side note - for any Americans wondering why there are not usually any American men anywhere near the top to root for...  We're like a decade behind Europe in terms of development.  For the men, it will come someday.  HOWEVER - the women.  Women's cycling is like a decade behind the men for everyone, US and Europe.  So although it's not level with the men, it is more level across countries.  The American women kick , especially Megan Guarnier, Mara Abbot (who just got edged out of the podium in the Olympics) and Coryn Rivera.  As do the Brits (Lizzie Deignan), and Dutch (Olympic Gold Medalist Anna Van Der Breggen).  The racing is similar, but the stage races are shorter and have fewer stages.  This has a lot to do with there being less advertising money to support.  If we all watch, there will be more money :D

2017-06-20 3:05 PM
in reply to: #5222594

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Back to the pool today for the first time in 10 weeks. It was good, but man I'm tired!! I managed to squeeze out 1500yds before I could feel my stroke break down. So, out I went.

Tomorrow I try to ride a bike again!
2017-06-20 4:20 PM
in reply to: #5222735

User image

, California
Thanks John for the detail on cycling. Informative for a complete novice like me.

Gretchen I missed your earlier post about arriving back. Welcome back! Man that ten weeks sure flew. Good luck on the bike.

-Matt
2017-06-21 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by firebert

Speaking of the Peloton - TdF gets rolling soon!  Gretchen I know you said it was the most boring thing you ever watched, and I can understand.  Cycling is like the opposite of most sports.  Like Football (American) anyone can tune in and watch the Super Bowl and see lots of action.  The Tour de France is Cycling's Super Bowl, but instead of one 60 minute event it's 21 racing days EACH with 4+ hours of television coverage.  You have to want it to get through all that!

Let me break down any given stage in a stage race, such as the Tour de France.  It's like 6 hours of racing.  The first 5 and a half hours are who went out in the breakaway ahead of the peloton, when the peloton is going to catch them (nearly always do), and which teams need to keep their best rider toward the front.  The last 30 minutes (if that!) are setting up for the finish of the stage.  How the finish shakes out depends on whether it's a 'sprinter's stage' (mostly flat, usually with a flat finish) or a 'climber's stage' (mostly mountains, usually with an uphill finish).  The sprint stage will have everyone finish basically at the same time.  The climber's stage will bust the peloton into groups.  

Because of the excessive TV coverage and excessive number of stages, the TdF is like the worst race to watch (followed closely by the Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a Espana).  Anyone looking to see the excitement of cycling on TV is better to watch one of the Spring Classics.  Paris-Roubaix is probably the most famous/most important.  It's one stage, there are climbs, there are cobbled sections (literally medieval cobblestone roads), the breakaway is much more likely to succeed.  Much more action. More attacks.  More breaking up of the peloton into groups. No one can make up time tomorrow on the time trial or the mountain stage - today is it. 

Also a side note - for any Americans wondering why there are not usually any American men anywhere near the top to root for...  We're like a decade behind Europe in terms of development.  For the men, it will come someday.  HOWEVER - the women.  Women's cycling is like a decade behind the men for everyone, US and Europe.  So although it's not level with the men, it is more level across countries.  The American women kick , especially Megan Guarnier, Mara Abbot (who just got edged out of the podium in the Olympics) and Coryn Rivera.  As do the Brits (Lizzie Deignan), and Dutch (Olympic Gold Medalist Anna Van Der Breggen).  The racing is similar, but the stage races are shorter and have fewer stages.  This has a lot to do with there being less advertising money to support.  If we all watch, there will be more money :D

Cool summary.  I "tape" (yes, I'm that old...) the entire TdF and watch it over the winter on the trainer, so like John says that equates to probably 80-100 hours of programming.  The spring classics are cool, like Paris-Nice, Paris-Roubaix, and the Criterium-du-Dauphine.  The Tour de California is also cool, because I can actually say "hey, I've been to that town!".  @#$#@! NBC Sports Network dropped a couple of these this year so I couldn't record them.

Anybody up for a TdF challenge?

2017-06-21 8:13 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

To supplement John's background on the stage races, here is a really good primer on bike racing in general:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=447964&posts=25#M4960751

This was a sticky in the old Peloton forum, before it got canned.

2017-06-21 9:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm taking advantage of jet lag by getting up super early! Okay, that is a lie. I always get up super early. Ha! Went back to master's swim this morning and nearly died. Not kidding, I think coach was trying to kill me. It was brutal, but I managed 1700yds before having to throw in the towel.

Later this afternoon, I'm off to the LBS to talk about power meters and installation with the tech I trust. My wife called last week and they told her they couldn't install a power tap hub on just any wheel. I was a little confused by that response, so I'm off to talk to someone face to face without the intermediary.

2017-06-21 10:23 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone!

Gretchen, welcome back! Sounds like everyone has been having some really good training. Juan, I am so excited for you! I can't believe how close your IM is! You definitely sound very ready! I am with you, too. Tapering sounds glorious

I have been off the grid b/c life is a bit crazy. I have been working out hard the last week though and feel awesome. I've also lost 5 lbs, so that helps. I am not drinking until July (except a glass of red wine here and there b/c you know, it's good for you and stuff!), which also helps. Here's a few highlights from my last week:
- Did 2 boot camps, a masters practice, a HIIT cycling class, 3 runs, played about 5 hours of volleyball and played some basketball with my niece, father and brothers
- I am currently awaiting one job offer with possibly a second to follow
- I am going back to school. Not sure if I told you all this yet, but it is almost for sure now. Was going to go to Morgan State but found an online program so am hoping to start that this fall. I want to be a registered dietitian. The idea of going back to school at age 32 (33 when I start) is very intimidating and overwhelming though, especially while working full time.

Keep up the great work, everyone!
2017-06-22 11:24 AM
in reply to: #5222740

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I really feel back in the swing of things this morning. I'm sure something will happen soon to crush that feeling!

Short run this morning that I got to finish in a healthy rain due to a delayed start. Something about me heading out for a run suggests to my neighbor (82 year old lady) that I want to talk for 20 minutes. It was kind of fun to run in the rain after so long in the desert.

On tap later, trainer ride due to rain.
2017-06-22 12:48 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove I really feel back in the swing of things this morning. I'm sure something will happen soon to crush that feeling! Short run this morning that I got to finish in a healthy rain due to a delayed start. Something about me heading out for a run suggests to my neighbor (82 year old lady) that I want to talk for 20 minutes. It was kind of fun to run in the rain after so long in the desert. On tap later, trainer ride due to rain.

It's good to be home isn't it?  

I'm getting back into the swing of training post races myself, just in time to go on vacation and thrash the whole thing :lol: 

2017-06-22 11:26 PM
in reply to: #5222857

User image

, California
Gretchen I can totally relate to the rain after being in the desert feeling! I HATE rain, yet a few months without a drop when I was overseas and it was kind of refreshing after coming home.

Finished a tough brick this afternoon. 90 minute ride at very hard effort the whole way and 30 minute run at moderately hard... Just another Thursday at this point.

Since I have Friday as my rest day I'm now relaxing with some craft bourbon from OOLA distillery outside of Seattle, WA. Not bad at all.

-Matt
2017-06-23 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Happy Friday everyone.  This morning was a feeble attempt at TR's "Goddard" workout, a bunch of 30" sprints (which went fine), then 2 x 6' in the sweet spot (which didn't go so well).

Got off the bike and did the "plank ladder", which is basically 7 minutes of hell. 

We're going to see a couple of 'turn your brain off" kids' movies this weekend - Cars 3 and Captain Underpants.  Of course we're going to see them for my daughter.  Uh-huh.  

2017-06-23 11:34 PM
in reply to: #5222920

User image

, California
Mike my kids insisted on Captain Underpants recently but luckily the babysitter took them on a day they had no school and I was working. I escaped!

Anyone else have good plans for the weekend?

-Matt
2017-06-24 5:15 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Looks like the remnants of TS Cindy have made it a wet mess around here for the time being, so 90 minutes of Z2 work on the trainer today.
2017-06-24 5:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 Looks like the remnants of TS Cindy have made it a wet mess around here for the time being, so 90 minutes of Z2 work on the trainer today.

TS Cindy rolled through Texas on Thursday....didn't really hit us at all (to the point where I probably could have run outside Thursday morning, but wasn't sure how much standing water there would have been -- turns out not much!).  But we're getting a bunch of rain now (through next weekend).  Somehow, I managed a four hour ride this morning and only got sprinkled on a couple times....I apparently picked the right place to ride, as most people got rained out today.  Hoping to be lucky for my run tomorrow as well, but no big deal if it rains on me -- I'll be soaked with sweat regardless!

2017-06-25 6:01 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 Looks like the remnants of TS Cindy have made it a wet mess around here for the time being, so 90 minutes of Z2 work on the trainer today.

TS Cindy rolled through Texas on Thursday....didn't really hit us at all (to the point where I probably could have run outside Thursday morning, but wasn't sure how much standing water there would have been -- turns out not much!).  But we're getting a bunch of rain now (through next weekend).  Somehow, I managed a four hour ride this morning and only got sprinkled on a couple times....I apparently picked the right place to ride, as most people got rained out today.  Hoping to be lucky for my run tomorrow as well, but no big deal if it rains on me -- I'll be soaked with sweat regardless!

So the rain quickly exited the area yesterday morning and I said the heck with it and rode outside. It was beautiful weather but a little windy. Other than flatting in my driveway (yes, you read that right...), it was a great almost 30 miles.
2017-06-25 10:27 PM
in reply to: #5222994

User image

, California
Mike, a flat in the driveway!? Ooof.

Did 90 miles today. Well...89.3 but I'm in a rounding up mood! Week 19 in the books, a "recovery week" up next. Though at this point in the plan a recovery week is still pretty taxing.

-Matt
2017-06-26 12:13 PM
in reply to: #5223085

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Flat in the driveway?!? Man, I hope it was on the way in, rather than out!

After a week of cutting myself too much slack, I was up this morning for masters swim (2200m). Afterwards, some of us went out for breakfast (perk of no teaching summer!). Then I came Home and did a quick 3mile run on the hilly route followed by a quick 15 min of yoga. Now I realize I've been up for seven hours and haven't managed to do anything but workout and socialize!!
2017-06-26 12:54 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Flat in the driveway?!? Man, I hope it was on the way in, rather than out! After a week of cutting myself too much slack, I was up this morning for masters swim (2200m). Afterwards, some of us went out for breakfast (perk of no teaching summer!). Then I came Home and did a quick 3mile run on the hilly route followed by a quick 15 min of yoga. Now I realize I've been up for seven hours and haven't managed to do anything but workout and socialize!!

There is zero wrong with that!

2017-06-26 12:59 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

You guys...and your long rides...and IM training...  

Had my longest ride ever on Saturday - 22.6 miles (which apparently can be rounded up to 23!)  Was supposed to be a brick, however it was also supposed to be a 50 minute ride and it turned into more like 75 min...  Then a nice (though way harder than it should have been) 4 mile run yesterday.

Going to do a 10 mile ride today as it's the last time I'll be able to ride for the next 9 days.  Off to the Dutch Caribbean for vacation.  I've already researched, the only rental bikes I could find on Aruba are e-bikes and I don't think that'll be great for training.  So it's going to be a swim/run/gym vacation.  Great chance to practice OWS.  Going to need it to stay ahead of the ludicrous caloric consumption that is sure to happen!

2017-06-26 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Happy Friday everyone.  This morning was a feeble attempt at TR's "Goddard" workout, a bunch of 30" sprints (which went fine), then 2 x 6' in the sweet spot (which didn't go so well).

Got off the bike and did the "plank ladder", which is basically 7 minutes of hell. 

We're going to see a couple of 'turn your brain off" kids' movies this weekend - Cars 3 and Captain Underpants.  Of course we're going to see them for my daughter.  Uh-huh.  

We got in two movies this weekend - quick reviews (no spoilers...):

Wonder Woman:  emotionally and visually intense...great flick

Captain Underpants:  uh, I don't think "horrible" is a negative-enough term for this disaster

2017-06-26 4:22 PM
in reply to: #5223126

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
We saw Wonder Woman last week. I fell asleep during part of it (hey, jetlag sucks!), but my wife loved it too! We skipped Captain Underpants.

Power users! My LBS has a used powertap pro+ for cheap and I'm considering it. The Cycleops rep the owner called said I can use any ant+ computer, so does that mean I can use my 920 to get started?!? I read DCRainmaker and several other sites, but I'm just looking for someone to agree with me (assuming I'm correct in my reading of this situation). Thanks!
2017-06-26 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by drfoodlove We saw Wonder Woman last week. I fell asleep during part of it (hey, jetlag sucks!), but my wife loved it too! We skipped Captain Underpants.

Power users! My LBS has a used powertap pro+ for cheap and I'm considering it. The Cycleops rep the owner called said I can use any ant+ computer, so does that mean I can use my 920 to get started?!? I read DCRainmaker and several other sites, but I'm just looking for someone to agree with me (assuming I'm correct in my reading of this situation). Thanks!

Yep, your 920 will pair perfectly with the powertap.  In the end, you may find you want a separate bike computer so you don't have to look at your wrist, but it will work just fine.  Welcome to the dark side

2017-06-26 4:43 PM
in reply to: #5223149

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thanks Nicole!! I figure I'll eventually end up getting something else, but to get into his without spending a ton of cash would be nice. Just to see if I like the dark side!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38424 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.