BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-08-15 4:16 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Originally posted by jmhpsu93
Originally posted by firebert

Still working towards my late October Half Marathon.  Had an 800m repeat workout this weekend, haven't had one of those in for.ev.er.  Still going well, though I have old man hips and need to know when to take it easy and when to go 100%.

Did a 16 mile bike ride yesterday for the first time in a couple weeks.  Tried riding without using the aerobars so I can be used to that for any charity rides/gran fondo type stuff I do coming up.  It sucked!  Haha - for as hard as it was to get used to riding in aero this year, I'm finding it harder to go back to not riding in aero!

800 - 1200M repeats are awesome ways to get speed - just don't overdo it!Take care of that neck. I had a neck problem ( I know, I know...) a few years ago and it took a while to heal. You'll know when it's better (like when you can turn around in the car and have it not hurt).

It feels like it's taking forever.  I mean in reality it's been 3 months, but that feels like forever .  I'm getting there.  Actually 'graduated' PT a week early, so now I'm on my own...  Scary!  lol

2017-08-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: #5226151

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Kind of a rest week here. Yesterday I swam 1400m, but had to call it early because I had a cramp in one of my calves I just couldn't work out. I decided to rest the rest of the day after that.

Out for an hour run this morning. It felt great. Rest worked! Who knew?!?
2017-08-17 11:15 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Kind of a rest week here. Yesterday I swam 1400m, but had to call it early because I had a cramp in one of my calves I just couldn't work out. I decided to rest the rest of the day after that. Out for an hour run this morning. It felt great. Rest worked! Who knew?!?

Rest days have been working wonders for me.  Since stopping swimming and focusing on the bike and run, rather than adding workout days, I've adopted at least one extra rest day a week, sometimes two depending on how I'm feeling. I'm maintaining my run fitness and my bike is actually getting faster.  Took off my aerobars yesterday and adjusted my seat to a more road friendly location (as opposed to tri specific) and I felt like Superman out there.  

2017-08-18 10:43 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ran 4.5 miles today. This is my longest run this year I think. I was struggling towards the end but pushed through. Have masters practice tomorrow and might actually get out on the bike this weekend.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2017-08-18 11:02 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Ran 4.5 miles today. This is my longest run this year I think. I was struggling towards the end but pushed through. Have masters practice tomorrow and might actually get out on the bike this weekend. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Did the spin bike and my leg work and PT this morning.  My anniversary (16 years!  ) is today so we're going out to dinner.  This weekend is a long hike and a bike ride, and probably a swim mixed in somewhere.

Nice run, Nicole!

2017-08-18 11:52 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e Ran 4.5 miles today. This is my longest run this year I think. I was struggling towards the end but pushed through. Have masters practice tomorrow and might actually get out on the bike this weekend. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Did the spin bike and my leg work and PT this morning.  My anniversary (16 years!  ) is today so we're going out to dinner.  This weekend is a long hike and a bike ride, and probably a swim mixed in somewhere.

Nice run, Nicole!

Happy anniversary!!! Glad to see you are healing up well!

2017-08-18 1:37 PM
in reply to: #5226456

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Happy anniversary, Mike!!!

Rough 2:30 on the trainer today, followed by a 30' brick run. I really hate long rides on the trainer, but this town is crazy. It is move-in weekend for the university plus we are the point of longest totality for the eclipse this weekend, so people are pouring into the area to watch it. I opted for the trainer, as I didn't think riding on the roads today (or anytime this weekend) would be safe. I was nearly hit twice on my run, so I feel like the trainer was a good bet!
2017-08-19 11:48 AM
in reply to: #5226537

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Eight mile run with the pup this morning followed by a 30' high cadence spin. Now for the real workout of the week--the in-law invasion.
2017-08-21 8:31 AM
in reply to: #5226568

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2800yds in the pool this morning. A nice long set of 50ez/50hard, with plenty of rest.

Later this afternoon, sometime amongst the eclipse and all the craziness surrounding it, I'll squeeze in a 1:15 run with some speed work.

What's everyone got on tap for the day/week?
2017-08-21 3:22 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Slept through my alarm for swim practice Saturday (fail). I clearly needed the sleep though and felt amazing when I finally woke up at 7:45. I had some swim lessons Sunday so just went early and got a swim in. Just did 100s alternating with and without the pull buoy.

I had an adventure with my bike tire. I'd figured out how to change it a couple weeks ago but put in another damaged tube so it went flat again. Finally got around to changing it again yesterday (good practice at least, and I was pretty quick this time!), but when it came to putting the tire back on the bike I COULD NOT get it. Last time it went on so easy but not so much this time. It was so frustrating. I eventually had to get a neighbor to come over and help me hold my bike and she actually figured out where the issue was (making me feel pretty dumb lol). But now I know!

Went on a two hour bike ride date yesterday afternoon so it was slow but good to be back on it. My sit bone is killing me today but hopefully I get used to it quick. Did some weightlifting this morning and have vball tonight, which I bike to everything now that it's fixed so hopefully just being on a bike for a few miles helps!
2017-08-22 7:10 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
First day of classes here...ugh. I know some professors get excited about the new semester, but I'm not one of them. I am going to have to figure out a whole new routine now! And...since my HIM is still 5 weeks away, I'm gonna be BUSY as all get out until it is over trying to work training around the first weeks of class, which are always super crazy.

Strength training this morning for the first time in two weeks. I'm happy to report I didn't have to bump down any of the weights, even after a break. Later this afternoon/evening I have a 45' ride/30' run brick on the schedule.

2017-08-22 3:13 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Pulled my hamstring just slightly last night at volleyball and felt it on my run this morning. Cut it short at 2 miles. My legs were tight leading into the run anyway and it started off really slow. I think all the biking I've been doing has them a little worn out. My sit bone also still hurts a lot. I can't wait until it adjusts!
2017-08-22 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
On the road again this week in Hartford. The weather here is gooey too.Got facet injections on Monday (actually better than it sounds...OK not really). Back is still pretty sore but improving by the hour. Pain management doc is optimistic on back to running soon. Took yesterday and today off to recover, back at it (get it??? ) at the hotel gym in the morning.Daughter starts swim practice next week so I'll be upping the swim volume. @Nicole - I promise I will do Masters sometime! I saw really big gains in my swim fitness practicing with the Canton team a couple of years ago.@Gretchen - good luck on balancing the work/training/life balance over the next couple of weeks, just need to figure out the routine, right?
2017-08-22 9:53 PM
in reply to: #5226649

User image

, California
Late Happy Anniversary to you Mike, congrats on 16 years.

Sorry to hear about the hamstring Nicole, especially following up your longest run yet. Smart move imo not pushing through it.

Gretchen killing it still as always I see. Good luck managing the transition back to school and training peaking at the same time. Remind me is this going to be your first HIM? If not do you have any goals for this one in relation to others you've done, i.e. is it a PR possible course?

Nicole, how is worlds prep going? Coming up quickly right!?

As for me I'm really enjoying the down time right now. Between not having the race specific training load, and the kids doctors appointments, it's just such a stress free "normal" life like I haven't experienced in about six months or even longer.

After almost three weeks post race and after a few days of no knee pain I tried to get back on the bike but my knee started hurting around 10-15 minutes in so I stopped. Very discouraging. A couple days later I tried a short run and it felt great. Took a day off and then did another run still short but harder and still no pain. This is encouraging. We will see on the next time out on the bike.

My next race, the popular (and expensive!) Malibu tri on September 16 is out the window. I was considering it anyway cause of the injury but now I have a conflict with my boy's first Taekwondo competition so the decision was made for me.

Anyone racing these next couple weeks?

-Matt

2017-08-23 7:49 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Late Happy Anniversary to you Mike, congrats on 16 years.

Sorry to hear about the hamstring Nicole, especially following up your longest run yet. Smart move imo not pushing through it.

Gretchen killing it still as always I see. Good luck managing the transition back to school and training peaking at the same time. Remind me is this going to be your first HIM? If not do you have any goals for this one in relation to others you've done, i.e. is it a PR possible course?

As for me I'm really enjoying the down time right now. Between not having the race specific training load, and the kids doctors appointments, it's just such a stress free "normal" life like I haven't experienced in about six months or even longer.

After almost three weeks post race and after a few days of no knee pain I tried to get back on the bike but my knee started hurting around 10-15 minutes in so I stopped. Very discouraging. A couple days later I tried a short run and it felt great. Took a day off and then did another run still short but harder and still no pain. This is encouraging. We will see on the next time out on the bike.

My next race, the popular (and expensive!) Malibu tri on September 16 is out the window. I was considering it anyway cause of the injury but now I have a conflict with my boy's first Taekwondo competition so the decision was made for me.

Anyone racing these next couple weeks?

-Matt

This will be my second HIM. I did one last summer that totally sucked big monkey butt due to poor nutrition on the bike (and maybe undertraining on the run). It was terrible. It was awful. It was not everything I wanted it to be, so I'm doing another one. I remember thinking about this time last year (5 weeks out) that I wasn't enjoying the training and was ALWAYS exhausted. This year, I'm not having that issue. I am enjoying the training, even the long runs and rides, and when I come home from a workout, I don't feel so tired that I can't do anything the rest of the day. In fact, Saturday I realized that even after an 8 mile run, I still felt strong and ready to go further (good thing, last I checked a HM is 13.1!!).

Goals:
1.) finish
2.) enjoy having my family at the race. It is the first time my wife will be at a race
3.) pace on the bike so I can stay strong on the run
4.) run more than the last 100ft to the finish line (i.e., be able to run throughout the whole course, not just the first two miles and the last 100'!)

PR is possible, the bike is supposed to be pancake flat (in Indianapolis) and the run is slightly uphill on the way out, downhill on the way back.
2017-08-23 7:53 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1800 terrible meters in the pool this morning. My allergies are acting up and I couldn't hardly breathe at all. I had to stop to cough stuff up (TMI?) virtually at the end of every 50. I finally switched to backstroke so I could breathe and cough without having to worry about inhaling as much water. Things got better after that, but it was still not a swim to write home about. Later today, 1:15 trainer ride. One of the concessions I've made to balancing life/training/work is trainer rides during the week (yuck!!). At least now I can watch my power meter numbers jump around to entertain myself!

Yesterday afternoon I had one of those magical runs. The temp was perfect, no humidity to speak of. I had just finished 45' on the trainer and was all warmed up. I couldn't find my HRM, so I just ran on feel. It was glorious and reminds me why I love to run (sometimes!). Juxtapose that with Monday's run that was so hot and humid I couldn't keep my HR in Z2 even when walking. Win some, lose some.

2017-08-23 8:44 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

On the road again this week in Hartford. The weather here is gooey too.Got facet injections on Monday (actually better than it sounds...OK not really). Back is still pretty sore but improving by the hour. Pain management doc is optimistic on back to running soon. Took yesterday and today off to recover, back at it (get it??? ) at the hotel gym in the morning.Daughter starts swim practice next week so I'll be upping the swim volume. @Nicole - I promise I will do Masters sometime! I saw really big gains in my swim fitness practicing with the Canton team a couple of years ago.@Gretchen - good luck on balancing the work/training/life balance over the next couple of weeks, just need to figure out the routine, right?

First - How do you bold sections of text when you quote someone? I've wanted to do it but have not yet figured it out.

Second - Let me know! I'm currently only going Saturdays but hope to start going Mondays again soon as well, at least when my volleyball doesn't overlap. You will see so many gains. Our coach is super knowledgeable! Make sure when you go you tell them I encouraged it. I keep telling them I have people coming (not you, but other people I've met) and no one has come yet, so I need to get credit for something!
2017-08-23 8:50 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to my weekly boot camp at my gym this morning and CRUSHED IT. I'm usually dead by the end of her boot camps. And don't get me wrong, my legs and arms are beat, but I felt really good throughout the workout. No hammy issues either.

My sit bone also felt much better this morning. I think I'm going to run tomorrow morning and bike Friday morning (figure 8s around Patterson Park...Mike knows my pain I think). Swim Saturday. Feeling much more confident about my upcoming tris. Even though I haven't been doing as much of the swim/bike/run as I should, I feel like my strength will help me catch up fast and hold on in my races.
2017-08-23 12:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Tavo2311 

Prep is mostly good -- thanks for asking! 

The good: completely pain-free after my crash (took about six weeks for my ribs to be completely pain-free, but was fully back in the swing of things about 10 days after), replacement bike is on its way and should be ready to ride next week, fitness seems to be right about where I want it to be

The bad: it's August in Houston, which means that it's miserably hot and humid....makes running slow, keeping cool/hydrated on the bike a challenge, and just recently has resulted in 85+ degree water at the pool, so makes pushing efforts an exercise in futility....all of this means that I think my fitness is good, but really haven't been able to confirm anything!  Also bad is that I haven't been on my Argon since July and am still hoping to race on it (in 16 days!), and there's a hurricane predicted to make landfall this weekend, so my four hour and two hour rides will probably be on the trainer.

At this point, I'm hoping Chattanooga is hot, but less humid, and that the water temperature is no higher than 82F!  I'm really looking forward to the race....and then will decide if I want to do another 70.3, a 70.3 as a relay, or start in on a run focus for the off season. 

2017-08-24 7:34 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning troops!

Up for 1800yds with masters class before my 8am (*groan*) class. I'm trying to look at the bright side that at least I'll be done for the day by 9:30 and can work on my research. On tap for later is a 1:15 run with speed work and some strength training.

What are you doing today to advance your goals?
2017-08-24 9:00 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Morning everyone! Went on a run this morning and felt AWESOME. Longest run yet (just under 6 miles), felt strong and hit the same pace I've been hitting on my shorter runs. This means 2 things. The shorter runs have set me up well so far, but I need to work on my speed!

Gretchen, to answer your question about how I am advancing my goals today, I already got the run in but plan on fueling myself well for my body to recover. Eating some afghan food for lunch (pretty clean/healthy/simple food) and having a good salad for dinner.

2017-08-24 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by jmhpsu93 On the road again this week in Hartford. The weather here is gooey too.Got facet injections on Monday (actually better than it sounds...OK not really). Back is still pretty sore but improving by the hour. Pain management doc is optimistic on back to running soon. Took yesterday and today off to recover, back at it (get it??? ) at the hotel gym in the morning.Daughter starts swim practice next week so I'll be upping the swim volume. @Nicole - I promise I will do Masters sometime! I saw really big gains in my swim fitness practicing with the Canton team a couple of years ago.@Gretchen - good luck on balancing the work/training/life balance over the next couple of weeks, just need to figure out the routine, right?
First - How do you bold sections of text when you quote someone? I've wanted to do it but have not yet figured it out. Second - Let me know! I'm currently only going Saturdays but hope to start going Mondays again soon as well, at least when my volleyball doesn't overlap. You will see so many gains. Our coach is super knowledgeable! Make sure when you go you tell them I encouraged it. I keep telling them I have people coming (not you, but other people I've met) and no one has come yet, so I need to get credit for something!

So you would hit the Quote button, then highlight the text you want to bold, then click on the B and I font thingys (technical term...) above everything.  You can also delete any text from the quote if it's too big, just watch the / quote parameters, you need equal numbers (old HTML stuff).

2017-08-24 3:25 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by ligersandtions

The bad: it's August in Houston, which means that it's miserably hot and humid....makes running slow, keeping cool/hydrated on the bike a challenge, and just recently has resulted in 85+ degree water at the pool, so makes pushing efforts an exercise in futility....all of this means that I think my fitness is good, but really haven't been able to confirm anything!  Also bad is that I haven't been on my Argon since July and am still hoping to race on it (in 16 days!), and there's a hurricane predicted to make landfall this weekend, so my four hour and two hour rides will probably be on the trainer.

At this point, I'm hoping Chattanooga is hot, but less humid, and that the water temperature is no higher than 82F!  I'm really looking forward to the race....and then will decide if I want to do another 70.3, a 70.3 as a relay, or start in on a run focus for the off season. 

Take care this weekend, Nicole, that thing is sounding nastier every time I see an update on it.

2017-08-25 12:25 AM
in reply to: #5226776

User image

, California
That's right Gretchen I'm sorry I forgot last year's race. I'm glad you are feeling like this year's race is gonna be a much better experience.

Nicole definitely stay safe down there. Not sure exactly where you are and the hurricane in relation, but err on the side of caution.

Back to being discouraged for me. Tried an easy trainer ride again and ten minutes in stopped cause of the knee. Went to swim tonight instead. Keep telling myself to be thankful this didn't happen BEFORE the big race and that I have nothing too crucial to be training for so it's ok. Being positive is hard though when it's approaching a month since my last bike ride and that was my weak discipline to begin with.

-Matt
2017-08-25 6:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by Tavo2311That's right Gretchen I'm sorry I forgot last year's race. I'm glad you are feeling like this year's race is gonna be a much better experience. Nicole definitely stay safe down there. Not sure exactly where you are and the hurricane in relation, but err on the side of caution. Back to being discouraged for me. Tried an easy trainer ride again and ten minutes in stopped cause of the knee. Went to swim tonight instead. Keep telling myself to be thankful this didn't happen BEFORE the big race and that I have nothing too crucial to be training for so it's ok. Being positive is hard though when it's approaching a month since my last bike ride and that was my weak discipline to begin with. -Matt
Hey, Matt. Sorry you're dealing with the knee soreness without being able to figure out why. Been there. Have you tried getting another fitting? Sometimes our fitness gains change our muscle structure which changes our fit. Maybe try some yoga poses and additional stretching. I also do specific strength training work (recommended by my PT) to keep my hamstrings, glutes, and quads "in balance" whatever the heck that means. I still get some knee stiffness from time to time but I seem to be able to work through it. At least you can swim and run, right?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38697 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.