BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-12-07 9:47 AM
in reply to: EHouse20

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Good luck in your race, Eric.  I've had some really good results in cold weather races, which I don't understand because I HATE cold weather (not sure why I continue to live in the mid-Atlantic LOL).

Got in 75' on the trainer yesterday, and then 30' of dreadmill plus some core/strength work and PT.  I start light jogging in a few weeks - fingers crossed.  I've already been doing some short jogs on the TM for a few seconds at a time, no difference in how my back feels for now.

2017-12-07 10:51 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, BDASers.  Or whatever we are in plural. 

The posting is up for the mentor groups again - you all still in for next year?  I think Gretchen was the official "Mentor" last year, and DQ was in the past couple before that.

2017-12-08 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

2600 SCY in the pool this morning at 5:45 AM - hadn't done that in forever.  My longest swim of the year, too, and I felt like I could've gone longer.  Back was a little stiff throughout but I expected that in the early morning.  Going to hammer a lunch trainer session if my day goes well.  Big swim meet for my daughter down in Virginia this weekend so no working out for me.

Happy Friday!

2017-12-08 8:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

2600 SCY in the pool this morning at 5:45 AM - hadn't done that in forever.  My longest swim of the year, too, and I felt like I could've gone longer.  Back was a little stiff throughout but I expected that in the early morning.  Going to hammer a lunch trainer session if my day goes well.  Big swim meet for my daughter down in Virginia this weekend so no working out for me.

Happy Friday!

Mike! Was that you in the lane closest to the door this morning?! Shoot! I was at practice! Showed up late with no cap and goggles, lol, but luckily found some in the closet.
2017-12-08 8:15 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Masters this morning...was a bit tipsy last night so it was rough getting out of bed, but I made it. Did a lot of drills and 12 fast 100s.

HAPPY FRIDAY!
2017-12-08 8:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

The posting is up for the mentor groups again - you all still in for next year?  I think Gretchen was the official "Mentor" last year, and DQ was in the past couple before that.

In!

2017-12-08 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e

Happy Friday!

Mike! Was that you in the lane closest to the door this morning?! Shoot! I was at practice! Showed up late with no cap and goggles, lol, but luckily found some in the closet.

Yup - that was me - I was trying to see if I could physically survive a 6 AM 3K-ish workout before I joined Masters, maybe as early as next week.

2017-12-08 12:41 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Happy Friday!

Yup - that was me - I was trying to see if I could physically survive a 6 AM 3K-ish workout before I joined Masters, maybe as early as next week.

That's so awesome! Way to go! Looking forward to finally meeting you and swimming together! Do you want to be added to the facebook group?
2017-12-09 1:45 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to boot camp this morning. It was rough for some reason. Also grabbed my bib for the 5 mile race I'm doing next weekend, as well as the sweet premium and ended up buying some new running shoes, as mine are a little worse for wear these days.
2017-12-11 8:51 AM

Nashville, Tennessee
Good Monday morning BDAS'rs.

So Saturday was interesting, that's for sure. It ended up being a cold morning as I was expecting (37 with cloud cover to be exact.) Everyone there was in good spirits though as the Half-Marathon and 5K started the Christmas Parade in town. I wasn't real sure what to expect of myself as I really just started this journey around a month ago. I've been running twice a week but mostly on the treadmill since it's early morning. So I ended up finishing in 31:04, which is by no means fast...ha but my mile pace was 9:43 which I was pretty happy with as I was trying to break 10 min avg. I have a long way to go when it comes to running but it was nice to get out there and give myself a benchmark and a time to work from.

Anyways, enough about me...how was everyone else's weekend? Any of you get big snow like they were saying? Look forward to hearing from everyone and also definitely put me down for the group next year.

Hope everyone has a great Monday.
2017-12-12 6:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Nice race, Eric.  I bet you'll start to see some gains through consistent running, even if it's just a couple of days a week.  Now if you really want to measure your progress, race once a month. 

This weekend was a swim meet for my daughter down at George Mason University (like a 75-minute drive each way), and yes, Eric, in the snow on Saturday.  We got about 4 inches at the house, but the ground was so warm it was gone pretty much by the next morning.  We did make a little snowman, though: 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2017-12-12 1:09 PM

2017-12-12 6:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in a couple of 45'-ish trainer sessions so far this week - first time I've done back-to-back days on the trainer in quite a while.  Felt pretty good considering it was 5:30 in the morning. 

This "off-season" (as if I actually had an "on-season"...) I'm going to work hard on the trainer, shooting for 4-5 hours a week, while still getting in a couple of swims and starting a couch-to-5K program to get me running again.

2017-12-12 6:49 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Happy Friday!

That's so awesome! Way to go! Looking forward to finally meeting you and swimming together! Do you want to be added to the facebook group?

Sure thing - I'll look you guys up and request membership.

I'm not sure why they (the Merritt) doesn't combine the Canton and Towson Masters swim teams.  It's even more complicated for Canton, because those swimmers are all over at the MAC in Harbor East now, but still use the same FB group.  Not sure what's going to happen come January.

2017-12-12 8:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Happy Friday!

I'm not sure why they (the Merritt) doesn't combine the Canton and Towson Masters swim teams.  It's even more complicated for Canton, because those swimmers are all over at the MAC in Harbor East now, but still use the same FB group.  Not sure what's going to happen come January.

Actually my understanding is the previous Canton masters team is staying at the MAC and the Towson team is expanding to Canton. I might be coaching some when the Canton pool opens. I'm supposed to talk to the aquatics manager sometime this month. So the Canton and Towson teams obvi would practice separately (although you can really go to either as long as you pay for a pass), but compete together at meets!
2017-12-12 8:25 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Good job, Eric! It's definitely great to have a baseline, and those cold mornings are tough, especially when you are used to running indoors/on a dreadmill.

I studied all weekend, but not enough. I had my final yesterday but felt terribly unprepared. I guess I will find out in a week...

Saw the Lion King (Broadway version) on Sunday evening. It was amazing. Highly recommended for anyone who has the opportunity. The costumes were incredible.

Missed swim practice yesterday b/c of my final, but made it to volleyball so at least got some kind of workout in. Slept in this morning b/c I got home around 11 or so, so hope to get back into a groove starting tomorrow.

Oh and I was down to 155.6 this morning (forgot to weigh in yesterday). I guess stress can be somewhat good sometimes? lol
2017-12-12 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Happy Friday!

Actually my understanding is the previous Canton masters team is staying at the MAC and the Towson team is expanding to Canton. I might be coaching some when the Canton pool opens. I'm supposed to talk to the aquatics manager sometime this month. So the Canton and Towson teams obvi would practice separately (although you can really go to either as long as you pay for a pass), but compete together at meets!

That makes sense.  I'll be there Friday morning, if not swimming with the team at least getting some yards in.

2017-12-12 4:44 PM

User image

Expert

Got my paper done at 11:20pm last night, so did not get a workout in, but I did manage to make it to boot camp this morning. Going to go for a run tomorrow morning, maybe swimming Friday and boot camp Saturday.

Yea on finishing up that paper. Damn those profs and their work! Glad you got it done!
2017-12-12 4:45 PM

User image

Expert

I threw our BDAS hat into the ring yesterday morning. Hopefully they will take us again! We were 8th in line!
2017-12-12 4:46 PM

User image

Expert

Good luck in your race, Eric.  I've had some really good results in cold weather races, which I don't understand because I HATE cold weather (not sure why I continue to live in the mid-Atlantic LOL).

Got in 75' on the trainer yesterday, and then 30' of dreadmill plus some core/strength work and PT.  I start light jogging in a few weeks - fingers crossed.  I've already been doing some short jogs on the TM for a few seconds at a time, no difference in how my back feels for now.

So glad your back feel better! I will be keeping my fingers crossed!

DQ
2017-12-12 4:52 PM

User image

Expert
Finally made it to the gym today and swam 600 yards and did 45 minutes of aqua aerobics - which believe it or not is quite the workout for me. I was glad to be done.

Celebrating with some steak for dinner. No beer though - trying to lose that spare tire I call a beer belly!

Prost!
2017-12-13 4:05 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi all!

Sorry to have dropped off the face of the planet. My world kind of did a flip (still waiting for the flop). My 6yo nephew died on Nov 3 and my brother and his wife are charged with murder. My parents have custody of my brother's three remaining minor children. (Yes, if you live in the Midwest, it is that case you saw on the news.). Oh yeah...plus I spent a month in Egypt working on a children's cemetery (hard!). Training has been nil for the last five weeks. But, my foot still hurts. Looks like I'm off to the doctor...again. I don't know what my goals will be or how much time I'll have to devote to my training, but I'm in for next year (and thanks to Mike and Dave for getting us set up!).

2017-12-14 6:50 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

OMG - wow.

Sorry your life is all upside down, Gretchen.  Good luck with the doctor.

2017-12-14 8:34 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Happy Friday!

That makes sense.  I'll be there Friday morning, if not swimming with the team at least getting some yards in.

Awesome! 95% chance I am going tomorrow morning so I will look for you!
2017-12-14 8:38 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh my gosh, Gretchen! That is horrible! I'm so sorry for your loss. That must all be so hard on your family. Good luck at the doctor, and with everything with your family.
2017-12-14 8:48 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to boot camp yesterday morning. Going to masters tomorrow morning and have a 5 mile race on Saturday. Hopefully it's not too cold!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38408 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.