BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-03-26 2:22 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by ligersandtions

3:25 ride followed by 30 minute run this morning....one week and one day out from Galveston 70.3 and all three disciplines have actually come together at the same time.  I'm feeling really prepared and excited about this race!  And I'm hoping the flat I got last weekend means that I should be in the clear for a bit

Heading over to a friend's for a birthday party tonight....think I'm going to bring a milk stout from Gigantic Brewing Company (even though it's not really stout weather right now!); already had a Nelson Sauvin single hopped Saison this afternoon after my ride / run / walking my dogs because I wanted something light and refreshing for a warm spring afternoon.  Cheers!

You sound strong Nicole!! I guess you're looking forward to race day, all the best!

Juan

2017-03-26 2:24 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by firebert

Question for the group - what's everyone's go-to electrolyte replacement drink?  I always used Nuun, but they've now switched from sorbitol to stevia to sweeten them all.  Stevia is probably better for you (plant based instead of sugar alcohol) but I can't get past the taste.  I HATE it.  I need something new...  Salt tabs maybe? 

Matt, I tried today "mapple water" for my 3h-on-the-trainer-ride, and worked pretty well, that salty maple syrup flavor, so will use it again - love the concept of DIY sports drinks (kind of a home-brew or home made wine), thanks for the hint.

Juan
2017-03-26 2:26 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Qua17

SOrry for being away for a couple of weeks. I am still struggling with my emotions as I continue to try to get over getting fired last year for unfair reasons. WHen I feel the way I've been feeling - I tend to bury my head in the sand and disconnect. I wanted you guys to know because I feel bad about not being a more active member of the group, which I love and rely on so much. Yet, even when I'm not posting, I'm still thinking about your guys and praying that you are training well and enjoying some tasty beers as rewards.

Yesterday I went out and did what I thought were three substandard miles - in terms of time. I need to run fifteen minute miles for the race (actually a little faster if I don't want to have the race closing down around me) and these three miles were around 16:30. So I stopped with the goal of going out on the course today with all the other runners who will be there doing their last long runs. My coach assures me that everything will be fine and that my current times are more a reflection of my fatigue than my current fitness level. Right now, I need the confidence to know that I can do the race and that I will only get faster after my taper which starts next Friday (my coach is a big fan of the two week taper). WHat does the group think?

Dave, you're gonna crash it! Fatigue at the end of the training for a long race is mixed with the excitement of race day. I have always made a much better time at any race than training on my own, so fully convinced you are going to reach the finish line on time!!

Juan
2017-03-26 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ligersandtions

3:25 ride followed by 30 minute run this morning....one week and one day out from Galveston 70.3 and all three disciplines have actually come together at the same time.  I'm feeling really prepared and excited about this race!  And I'm hoping the flat I got last weekend means that I should be in the clear for a bit

Heading over to a friend's for a birthday party tonight....think I'm going to bring a milk stout from Gigantic Brewing Company (even though it's not really stout weather right now!); already had a Nelson Sauvin single hopped Saison this afternoon after my ride / run / walking my dogs because I wanted something light and refreshing for a warm spring afternoon.  Cheers!

Glad to hear things are coming together for you at the perfect time right before Galveston 70.3. I hope you crush it! As for the the Nelson Sauvin saison - what did you think? I've brewed a lot with Nelson and really like it as a hop.

I'm a big fan of the Nelson Sauvin hop.  I'd never (knowingly) had it before until I went to a barrel aged beer fest earlier this year, and one of my favorites was a sour saison dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin hops, and have sought it out since then.  

2017-03-26 7:25 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Today I ran half of the Boston Mary route to prepare for the race in 22 days. The first part was pretty easy (lots on down hill) and I averaged 15:02, which is right on the cusp of the time limit. I'm hoping everyone is right who tells me that the race day crowds and the taper will give me the extra time I need to finish under the time limit. I'm not gonna lie - I want the medal for my wall
2017-03-26 7:27 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

SOrry for being away for a couple of weeks. I am still struggling with my emotions as I continue to try to get over getting fired last year for unfair reasons. WHen I feel the way I've been feeling - I tend to bury my head in the sand and disconnect. I wanted you guys to know because I feel bad about not being a more active member of the group, which I love and rely on so much. Yet, even when I'm not posting, I'm still thinking about your guys and praying that you are training well and enjoying some tasty beers as rewards.

Yesterday I went out and did what I thought were three substandard miles - in terms of time. I need to run fifteen minute miles for the race (actually a little faster if I don't want to have the race closing down around me) and these three miles were around 16:30. So I stopped with the goal of going out on the course today with all the other runners who will be there doing their last long runs. My coach assures me that everything will be fine and that my current times are more a reflection of my fatigue than my current fitness level. Right now, I need the confidence to know that I can do the race and that I will only get faster after my taper which starts next Friday (my coach is a big fan of the two week taper). WHat does the group think?

Dave, you're gonna crash it! Fatigue at the end of the training for a long race is mixed with the excitement of race day. I have always made a much better time at any race than training on my own, so fully convinced you are going to reach the finish line on time!!

Juan

Thanks Juan!

2017-03-27 7:53 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Today I ran half of the Boston Mary route to prepare for the race in 22 days. The first part was pretty easy (lots on down hill) and I averaged 15:02, which is right on the cusp of the time limit. I'm hoping everyone is right who tells me that the race day crowds and the taper will give me the extra time I need to finish under the time limit. I'm not gonna lie - I want the medal for my wall

Race day adrenaline will carry you far and fast!! The biggest hurdle not going to fast! You will do great! We all have faith in you and will be cheering you on!!!
2017-03-27 7:59 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sorry to be a relative ghost on here lately. I am wrapping up a big project at work with an April 1 deadline (and it is no joke). So far I have about 250 pages of material to submit and will be creating another 75-100 this week. Big project. Needless to day, it has severely cut into my goofing off at work time!

I'm on week 4 of my HIM training plan for the Route 66 HIM on July 29. That means rest week!!!!! I'm so ready for a rest week already! I jumped into the plan right after getting over (maybe at the tail end) of my sinus infection, double ear infection, strep throat combo and I'm pretty tired. This week will be 70% of last week, which was about 11 hours. I haven't had a rest day in two weeks. I normally take every Sunday off and I had to make up long runs both of the last two Sundays due to working late and reorganizing workout schedules.

I'm using the Fink's "competitive" plan, which tops out at about 15 hours a week. I used the intermediate plan last year and it served me well. I just want to better my race experience and time this year.
2017-03-27 8:02 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Last year we did book reviews. Is anyone reading anything good lately?

I recently finished the Triathlon Training Bible (after three attempts!). It is a good, solid book with a lot of information in it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants to delve into creating their own training plan. Be prepared to sit a table with a pencil and paper to work it all out, though! It is complicated! I got all the way through to deciding my weekly training volume before I decided I didn't want to be the one responsible for breaking myself (I tend to overdo things when not reigned in by an appropriate plan). I opted for the Fink's Be Iron Fit plan again this year.
2017-03-27 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Last year we did book reviews. Is anyone reading anything good lately? I recently finished the Triathlon Training Bible (after three attempts!). It is a good, solid book with a lot of information in it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants to delve into creating their own training plan. Be prepared to sit a table with a pencil and paper to work it all out, though! It is complicated! I got all the way through to deciding my weekly training volume before I decided I didn't want to be the one responsible for breaking myself (I tend to overdo things when not reigned in by an appropriate plan). I opted for the Fink's Be Iron Fit plan again this year.

That is a great book - I go back to it often.  Like you said, really good information about how to create a training plan and why you do it that way.  It also gives some good direction on the strength training aspect of things.

Friel put out another book a couple of years ago Fast After 50.  I highly recommend for those approaching or over that age.  Some really good insight into the importance of maintaining intensity as we age.

Some other great ones:

Daniels Running Formula - totally changed how I approach running

Swim Speed Secrets - totally changed how I approach swimming

The Power Meter Handbook - a must read for anyone new to PMs

Ironfit Secrets - I liked the book, the training plan wouldn't match how my life works (TOTALLY concentrated on the weekends)

2017-03-27 9:24 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey all,

Kate, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother and father. I can't even imagine how difficult that must be. I can see both sides from what people have said. Let us know what you decide.

Nicole, sounds like you are ready for your race, which is awesome. Can't wait to hear how you do!

DQ, I agree with everyone else. You will have so many people cheering you on and pushing you!

I had a tough masters practice on Saturday. We were able to practice all our strokes, which is good since I will be doing more of the IM stuff in future meets. Had a football game yesterday and my team pulled out a tough win at the very end! Lots of fun, and we didn't have many ladies there so I did lots of running around.

I also just bought a wetsuit today. It's a Roka. I just got a pair of goggles from them and they are awesome so I decided to go for the wetsuit. Got it and got a two piece swimsuit for $200...not too shabby! Although I'm pretty sure my Garmin Vivoactive is donezo, so I could be buying a new watch soon as well...

2017-03-27 11:42 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey all,

Kate, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother and father. I can't even imagine how difficult that must be. I can see both sides from what people have said. Let us know what you decide.

Nicole, sounds like you are ready for your race, which is awesome. Can't wait to hear how you do!

DQ, I agree with everyone else. You will have so many people cheering you on and pushing you!

I had a tough masters practice on Saturday. We were able to practice all our strokes, which is good since I will be doing more of the IM stuff in future meets. Had a football game yesterday and my team pulled out a tough win at the very end! Lots of fun, and we didn't have many ladies there so I did lots of running around.

I also just bought a wetsuit today. It's a Roka. I just got a pair of goggles from them and they are awesome so I decided to go for the wetsuit. Got it and got a two piece swimsuit for $200...not too shabby! Although I'm pretty sure my Garmin Vivoactive is donezo, so I could be buying a new watch soon as well...

Even though I already have goggles, a wetsuit, swimsuit, and a watch, I'm totally jealous that you are getting new gear!!! My wife did say I could buy some new calf sleeves though!
2017-03-27 12:15 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Qua17 SOrry for being away for a couple of weeks. I am still struggling with my emotions as I continue to try to get over getting fired last year for unfair reasons. WHen I feel the way I've been feeling - I tend to bury my head in the sand and disconnect. I wanted you guys to know because I feel bad about not being a more active member of the group, which I love and rely on so much. Yet, even when I'm not posting, I'm still thinking about your guys and praying that you are training well and enjoying some tasty beers as rewards. Yesterday I went out and did what I thought were three substandard miles - in terms of time. I need to run fifteen minute miles for the race (actually a little faster if I don't want to have the race closing down around me) and these three miles were around 16:30. So I stopped with the goal of going out on the course today with all the other runners who will be there doing their last long runs. My coach assures me that everything will be fine and that my current times are more a reflection of my fatigue than my current fitness level. Right now, I need the confidence to know that I can do the race and that I will only get faster after my taper which starts next Friday (my coach is a big fan of the two week taper). WHat does the group think?
Dave, you're gonna crash it! Fatigue at the end of the training for a long race is mixed with the excitement of race day. I have always made a much better time at any race than training on my own, so fully convinced you are going to reach the finish line on time!! Juan

Right!  Trust your Coach and your experience.  And remember there is no 'cramming' for a race especially a marathon.  Stick to the plan and you will find the finish line!

2017-03-28 7:05 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Early morning brick (32 bike/11 run) this morning during recovery week. Later this afternoon I'll make up yesterday's short run (another 32 min). I just didn't get home early enough yesterday to get it in before the evening chores set in. Good news is that my project will be done today!! Barring discovery of any disastrous mistakes during a final review, I should be able to submit my dossier this afternoon. It is 321 pages long. To put that in perspective, my dissertation was 215 pages. It will be good to have this off my plate!!
2017-03-28 9:21 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Early morning brick (32 bike/11 run) this morning during recovery week. Later this afternoon I'll make up yesterday's short run (another 32 min). I just didn't get home early enough yesterday to get it in before the evening chores set in. Good news is that my project will be done today!! Barring discovery of any disastrous mistakes during a final review, I should be able to submit my dossier this afternoon. It is 321 pages long. To put that in perspective, my dissertation was 215 pages. It will be good to have this off my plate!!

I guess the feeling after clicking "submit" is even better than the relief after finishing a long run!

Juan
2017-03-28 9:24 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove Last year we did book reviews. Is anyone reading anything good lately? I recently finished the Triathlon Training Bible (after three attempts!). It is a good, solid book with a lot of information in it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants to delve into creating their own training plan. Be prepared to sit a table with a pencil and paper to work it all out, though! It is complicated! I got all the way through to deciding my weekly training volume before I decided I didn't want to be the one responsible for breaking myself (I tend to overdo things when not reigned in by an appropriate plan). I opted for the Fink's Be Iron Fit plan again this year.

That is a great book - I go back to it often.  Like you said, really good information about how to create a training plan and why you do it that way.  It also gives some good direction on the strength training aspect of things.

Friel put out another book a couple of years ago Fast After 50.  I highly recommend for those approaching or over that age.  Some really good insight into the importance of maintaining intensity as we age.

Some other great ones:

Daniels Running Formula - totally changed how I approach running

Swim Speed Secrets - totally changed how I approach swimming

The Power Meter Handbook - a must read for anyone new to PMs

Ironfit Secrets - I liked the book, the training plan wouldn't match how my life works (TOTALLY concentrated on the weekends)

I bought Friel's book may be too early in my tri-time, and found it too technical for my understanding at that time. I should give it a try. However I really like Finks approach, I have used it for 2 HIM (finished in 5.20 and 6.30) and now using it for my IM Austria. Makes my week easy and when I have time is really during weekends, when I do the looong bike rides and runs. A very pragmatic approach.

Juan

2017-03-28 10:57 AM
in reply to: #5216822

User image

, California
I got Friel's book for Christmas and while I took away a bunch of knowledge from it, it was too involved for me. I don't think that in depth of an approach is needed other than for the most serious among us. Not that I don't take my training plan seriously, but I think the book is geared toward those competing for the age group titles, which is definitely not me! Still as I said I did learn from it took away some valuable stuff, and who knows maybe may use it to create my own plans in the future.

-Matt
2017-03-28 11:54 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Tavo2311

I got Friel's book for Christmas and while I took away a bunch of knowledge from it, it was too involved for me. I don't think that in depth of an approach is needed other than for the most serious among us. Not that I don't take my training plan seriously, but I think the book is geared toward those competing for the age group titles, which is definitely not me! Still as I said I did learn from it took away some valuable stuff, and who knows maybe may use it to create my own plans in the future.

-Matt

It appeals to nerds too. Like me!
2017-03-28 7:46 PM

User image

Expert

Nice work on the brick and on the book!
2017-03-28 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
Hi All:

I've got my second to last long run tomorrow and my coach is blessedly splitting it up into 2 90 minute running sessions to help me continue to avoid injury. My back has been killing me so that's a move that makes it happy.

I've still got a ton of money left to raise so I thought I would put out the link again for my Boston Marathon fundraising page. All the money goes to Franciscan Children's Hospital that does some amazing work up here in my neck of the woods and saved my son's life twice (it's a long story). So, please give if you can.

https://give.franciscanchildrens.org/events/-/e118481

Thanks!

DQ
2017-03-29 7:15 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Qua17 Hi All: I've got my second to last long run tomorrow and my coach is blessedly splitting it up into 2 90 minute running sessions to help me continue to avoid injury. My back has been killing me so that's a move that makes it happy. I've still got a ton of money left to raise so I thought I would put out the link again for my Boston Marathon fundraising page. All the money goes to Franciscan Children's Hospital that does some amazing work up here in my neck of the woods and saved my son's life twice (it's a long story). So, please give if you can. https://give.franciscanchildrens.org/events/-/e118481Thanks! DQ

I'll bring mine with me in person on Saturday!    Can't wait!

Too bad no one else is close to the Boston area - Dave's got a fundraiser with Jack's Abby brewery for a tour and tasting party.  

And Dave - rock those last two long runs - you got this!

2017-03-29 8:10 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning Masters swim--2500m in just over an hour. Yesterday afternoon I managed a short run. You know you are in the thick of training when your training log starts using numbers to identify your runs for a day...Run #1, Run #2! I love it!!

I had some good news about my research site in Egypt. Yesterday we finally received security permission to go to our site, which has been withheld for the last 18 months. Of course, the permit expires tomorrow, so now we have to ask for an extension to actually get to go to the site and do any work, but this is as close as we have been in to being able to get to our site in 18 months. I'm stoked to get back to work there, but man 1.) there is a ton of stuff to get done before I go, and 2.) I need to rework my tri schedule! I don't know if a HIM is doable if I'm in Egypt for 2.5 months, not returning until late June. There is no possibility of either a swim or bike while there. Running is possible to the extent our military guards will allow, but it is all on a 1/3mile stretch of road in front of the house and on a good day you won't have a small boy riding a donkey beside you yelling at you in Arabic to speed up. There aren't many good running days.
2017-03-29 3:01 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend! I ended up in Atlantic City Friday when my friend's husband wasn't feeling well and needed someone to see Florida Georgia line with her. Imbibed a bit too much, and missed swim practice Saturday since I wasn't going to leave AC at 4am. Celebrated St Patrick a bit too much yesterday too...

Had a swim meet this afternoon. Decided I should swim hungover more often. Will post a race report tmrw, but highlights are I swam the 100 free in 1:05, dropping 6 seconds from the last meet. Swam the 100 back and 100 IM both in 1:15. Also did 2 relays. Feeling really good about it! Bummed tomorrow is Monday though.

1.05 and hangover... could I take swimming lessons from you?

Juan

We will do a lesson in May when I come to Valencia!

Speaking of, we are hoping to finalize our travel plans this week. It looks like there is a good chance I will be in Valencia from Sunday, May 7th-Saturday May 13th. Any chance you will be around that week? The other possibility is I will only be there from 5/10-5/13, but I think it's more likely that I will be there longer at this point. Again, I should know in the next couple of days.

My head office is in Valencia - that week will be in Bilbao (again not too far) from 10 to 13 for our annual convention, but will try to go for the weekend to Valencia and get that master class you Nicole-the flying swimmer!

Juan

It's official! I will be in Valencia from the evening of Sunday, May 7th- Saturday May 13th (am). Let me know if you are around at all from the 7-9!! It would be great to meet up for a workout and some wine...I mean beer, this is BDAS, not WDAS... (but really, we will drink some wine!)!
2017-03-29 3:17 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Hi All:

I've got my second to last long run tomorrow and my coach is blessedly splitting it up into 2 90 minute running sessions to help me continue to avoid injury. My back has been killing me so that's a move that makes it happy.

I've still got a ton of money left to raise so I thought I would put out the link again for my Boston Marathon fundraising page. All the money goes to Franciscan Children's Hospital that does some amazing work up here in my neck of the woods and saved my son's life twice (it's a long story). So, please give if you can.

https://give.franciscanchildrens.org/events/-/e118481

Thanks!

DQ

Thanks for the reminder! I just donated! Please let me know if it didn't go through b/c after I submitted it said page not found, but your amount seemed to go up the correct amount.

Good luck in your long run!
2017-03-29 7:03 PM

User image

Expert

Morning Masters swim--2500m in just over an hour. Yesterday afternoon I managed a short run. You know you are in the thick of training when your training log starts using numbers to identify your runs for a day...Run #1, Run #2! I love it!!

I had some good news about my research site in Egypt. Yesterday we finally received security permission to go to our site, which has been withheld for the last 18 months. Of course, the permit expires tomorrow, so now we have to ask for an extension to actually get to go to the site and do any work, but this is as close as we have been in to being able to get to our site in 18 months. I'm stoked to get back to work there, but man 1.) there is a ton of stuff to get done before I go, and 2.) I need to rework my tri schedule! I don't know if a HIM is doable if I'm in Egypt for 2.5 months, not returning until late June. There is no possibility of either a swim or bike while there. Running is possible to the extent our military guards will allow, but it is all on a 1/3mile stretch of road in front of the house and on a good day you won't have a small boy riding a donkey beside you yelling at you in Arabic to speed up. There aren't many good running days.

I'm glad to hear you are making progress on getting to go back to Egypt although I'm sorry that it makes a mess of your schedule.

However - I'd like to get a kid to yell at me in arabic as I do Boston - probably would need a special visa for that...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38739 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.