BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-02-26 7:22 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Had a huge PR at my 10k this morning -- my new 10k PR pace is the same as my old 5k PR race!  I'll get a race report up shortly, but wanted to let DQ know that I did have a couple beers to celebrate

Awesome, Nicole.  Congratulations!!!

2017-02-26 2:54 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Berlin, Berlin

NAME:  Hi, I’m Ben. A 43 y/o londoner living in Berlin, Germany. I’m 6’3 & 200lbs

STORY:  I've always been active & have done a lot of sports in the past (mainly rugby, martial arts & cycling), but after having my kid I got verrry inactive. This on top of my desk job meant that last year I really messed up my back & was pretty immobile during H2 2016. I spent the end of the year swimming, stretching religiously morning/ night & doing pilates on my own & now I’m back in good pretty shape again.  

So, solid footing, but 2017 is the year I get my core strength up & back into shape. Having had a few months taste of what feeling really old & decrepit is all about, I want to get back into my groove

FAMILY STATUS:  Married (17 years) with 1 small lovable, but feral 4 y/o boy

CURRENT TRAINING:  I’m currently training for my first triathlon in June, so training 7 times per week (following one of BT’s plans). 

— 2x swim (1-2km on average)
— 2x cycle (20-40km avg)
— 3x run (my running is my Achilles heel!)
— 1x yoga pilates per week too (it is free with work, so why not! ??  

Running is my weak spot & I haven’t really run since I was in my teens. In the last few weeks though I’ve got myself up to 5.5km at a time, but I’m still running/ jogging/ running/ walking. I’m on it & it it is slow progress, but I’m really starting to get a lot of satisfaction from it

2016 RACES:  
I didn’t take part in any ‘races’, but clocked up lots of miles both swimming & cycling. I also cycled from Zurich to Milan over the alps (gotthard pass! 300km). 
I swim all year round & always outside in one of the local Berlin lakes during April-october. 

— 2017: I have an Olympic Tri booked in June (my first)- The Berlin triathlon) & a 300km cycle trip up the west coast of Norway. I’m wondering if I should try to do a sprint before the Olympic so that I can see how it all works & get a bit better prepared psychologically. What do you think?

My other 2017 goal is also to improve my swimming technique. Currently I’m a strong swimmer & am a bit like someone who was born in the water but has never actually seen anyone else ever swim before. I’ve got a swim-course booked in march to try and get that changed!

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE:  
Stout, wine & rum! (To be fair I’m English, so I will drink anything though)

WEIGHT LOSS:  
I could do with losing about 10kg, but it’s nothing that lots of regular exercise won’t probably fix. I’m much more interested in building up my core strength & stamina again & having some fun at the same time

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER:
I’m motivated, positive, like to support others in their goals & enjoy being part of a community. I’m looking for general guidance about health, nutrition & making sure I don't over do it. Also looking to be part of an active group as it is pretty quiet for Tri training in Berlin. 

2017-02-26 4:25 PM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Last week was an interesting one for me, tapering is hard!

Over all I did 2 swims, 3 bikes and 5 runs for a total of 7 hours 40 minutes. Which is about half what I had been doing, and about where I was aiming. I would have liked a 3rd swim, but unfortunately when I went to the pool Friday the lanes were all taken for a local schools swim sports day. So no swim for me.

I also spent some time Sunday getting the bike race ready. New tires, new bar tape installed, drive train cleaned and lubed, followed by a short test ride. All good to go.

This week, I'm again not to sure how to arrange my training.

Monday/Tuesday is a normal day, Wednesday I'm travelling down to Taupo (about 3 hour drive) and race day is Saturday.

Wednesday I want to do a long pool swim before traveling, taking advantage of a morning without work.
Once in Taupo I want at least 1 decent swim in the lake, and I want to go for a bike over part of the course, to check out the hill so I'm not surprised on race day, that should take an hour or so.

I also want to do a short workout of each discipline on Friday. I'm thinking 20 min swim, 30 bike and 10-15 run. Just to shake the legs out.

at the moment I'm looking at
M 20 min run
T 20 min run
W 60 min swim (laps) / travel to Taupo / 60 min bike
T 30 min swim (OWS) / 20 min run
F 20 min swim (OWS) / 30 min bike / 10 min run
S Ironman

What do you guys think? Am I doing to much the week of the race? What should I take out?

All advice is much appreciated.
2017-02-26 4:27 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Had a huge PR at my 10k this morning -- my new 10k PR pace is the same as my old 5k PR race!  I'll get a race report up shortly, but wanted to let DQ know that I did have a couple beers to celebrate

Congratulations on the PR. Great job!
2017-02-26 7:43 PM
in reply to: #5214451

User image

, California
Ben - Welcome! Good to have another on board.

Brick today - 1 hr ride / 20 min run. Felt good. Week 2 is in the books, 22 weeks to go.

-Matt
2017-02-26 8:41 PM
in reply to: #5214500

User image

, Vermont
Ben, welcome to the group!!! You've come to a good place!!
Awesome bike over the pass! I haven't done it but have heard about it.

2017-02-27 8:40 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome Ben!

Nicole, congrats on the PR!

I wasted my weekend The weather was so nice, so I went out Friday for HH and my whole weekend spiraled from there. It was fun, but I feel like I did nothing productive. Masters practice was cancelled due to an indoor tri at the gym, so they did an hour swim on Saturday evening, which I definitely did not make. Need to get back into a groove now.
2017-02-27 8:42 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh and happy belated bday, DQ! Sounds like you had a good one! Way to go, making it to the pool on your off day!

Also, Matt I think you are crazy for those cold OWS, but it's awesome you are getting out there.
2017-02-27 10:54 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Hi Guys, Last week was an interesting one for me, tapering is hard! Over all I did 2 swims, 3 bikes and 5 runs for a total of 7 hours 40 minutes. Which is about half what I had been doing, and about where I was aiming. I would have liked a 3rd swim, but unfortunately when I went to the pool Friday the lanes were all taken for a local schools swim sports day. So no swim for me. I also spent some time Sunday getting the bike race ready. New tires, new bar tape installed, drive train cleaned and lubed, followed by a short test ride. All good to go. This week, I'm again not to sure how to arrange my training. Monday/Tuesday is a normal day, Wednesday I'm travelling down to Taupo (about 3 hour drive) and race day is Saturday. Wednesday I want to do a long pool swim before traveling, taking advantage of a morning without work. Once in Taupo I want at least 1 decent swim in the lake, and I want to go for a bike over part of the course, to check out the hill so I'm not surprised on race day, that should take an hour or so. I also want to do a short workout of each discipline on Friday. I'm thinking 20 min swim, 30 bike and 10-15 run. Just to shake the legs out. at the moment I'm looking at M 20 min run T 20 min run W 60 min swim (laps) / travel to Taupo / 60 min bike T 30 min swim (OWS) / 20 min run F 20 min swim (OWS) / 30 min bike / 10 min run S Ironman What do you guys think? Am I doing to much the week of the race? What should I take out? All advice is much appreciated.

That actually looks pretty spot on - the only thing I might change is make your runs a little longer M/T and take Thursday totally off.  The hay's in the barn so to speak - there isn't much you can do to help or hurt the race Saturday at this point.

2017-02-27 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Race report: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=546160&posts=1#M5214548

It's long-winded (as per usual), but I'm super happy with how the race went, both mentally and physically

X

2017-02-27 2:07 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

That actually looks pretty spot on - the only thing I might change is make your runs a little longer M/T and take Thursday totally off.  The hay's in the barn so to speak - there isn't much you can do to help or hurt the race Saturday at this point.

Thanks for the feedback,

It's too late to change Mondays run, but I'm going to take your advice and run a bit longer tonight, say 30 minutes, and drop the run from Thursday. I'm still leaning towards swimming Thursday tho, more for acclimatizing, practicing sighting etc. than training reasons.

Or am I over thinking the need to swim the course before race day?

2017-02-27 2:41 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by aviatrix802 ^^^. John!! Yes for recommendations!! I'll have to get my beer map out, but definitely hit Switchback brewery tap room not far from downtown. A friend owns Farmhouse Tap and Grill just off Church Street - local farm to table fare and an amazing beer list. Vermont Pub and Brewery is decent - they usually have Maple Beer this time of year made with sap and their Burley Irish Ale is tasty. Magic Hat's Brewery isn't far but I don't like their beer so I haven't been. Otter Creek Brewing is a bit down the roads, also decent. Here in Essex there's a little Tap room for First Republic Brewing and in Waterbury there is, of course, Heady Topper. Stowe - go to Von Trapp Family Lodge (yes, the Sound of Music family) - they make beer and it's gooood. There are lots of great restaurants in Burlington. For delicious Italian go to Trattoria Delia, for amazing local pizza almost next door to it is.. ..blanking... shoot, I'll have to get back to you on that one. Leunig's on Church Street is always tasty but you may need reservations. Is your plan to stay right in Burlington or are you going to venture outside of it? Ack, sorry so long

Thanks Jenn!

I'm back.  We stayed in South Burlington basically across the street from Magic Hat.  Were going to go because it was right there but opted to just go downtown instead after seeing 4 other breweries.  We went to Zero Gravity first (where I tried what is now my first barrel aged IPA), then Queen City across the street, then Switchback which was having a 'mardis gras dog party', then out to Shelburne to go to Fiddlehead.  We had dinner at the Vermont Pub and Brewery.  From there it just turned into a pub crawl.  The Archives is one of my new favorite spots anywhere - for the uninitiated, they converted the former printing house for the local paper into a bar/arcade.  The place is gorgeous - old industrial/wood.  Love it.  Then they have a phenomenal tap selection (tried both Hill Farmsteads on tap as well as a couple others).  They make beautiful and tasty cocktails.  AND they have a large collection of old school arcade games.  And they all work.  I played Spy Hunter for the first time since probably 1985.  

Also had drunk 2am pizza by the slice at what may be the place you are blanking on the name of.  And I have no idea what it was called I wasn't in any shape to pay any attention haha.

Anyone visiting New England owes it to themselves to check out Burlington.  It's pretty much beer mecca.  Half the bars downtown have cans of Focal Banger and Heady Topper.  It's almost as easy to get as like a bud light or something.  Also did I mention Hill Farmstead on tap?  Seriously the only way I thought I would ever get to try Hill Farmstead was to make the trek into the middle of nowhere VT and find the farm...

2017-02-27 2:43 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Qua17 Today's my birthday and I still got my workout in - a 30 minute run and a 30 mile bike.

Happy belated birthday Dave!

2017-02-28 11:28 AM

User image

Expert

Thanks Nicole! Congrats on the PR! What was your time? More importantly, what kind of beers did you guzzle down?
2017-02-28 11:36 AM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by lowdon

NAME:  Hi, I’m Ben. A 43 y/o londoner living in Berlin, Germany. I’m 6’3 & 200lbs

STORY:  I've always been active & have done a lot of sports in the past (mainly rugby, martial arts & cycling), but after having my kid I got verrry inactive. This on top of my desk job meant that last year I really messed up my back & was pretty immobile during H2 2016. I spent the end of the year swimming, stretching religiously morning/ night & doing pilates on my own & now I’m back in good pretty shape again.  

So, solid footing, but 2017 is the year I get my core strength up & back into shape. Having had a few months taste of what feeling really old & decrepit is all about, I want to get back into my groove

FAMILY STATUS:  Married (17 years) with 1 small lovable, but feral 4 y/o boy

CURRENT TRAINING:  I’m currently training for my first triathlon in June, so training 7 times per week (following one of BT’s plans). 

— 2x swim (1-2km on average)
— 2x cycle (20-40km avg)
— 3x run (my running is my Achilles heel!)
— 1x yoga pilates per week too (it is free with work, so why not! ?? 

Running is my weak spot & I haven’t really run since I was in my teens. In the last few weeks though I’ve got myself up to 5.5km at a time, but I’m still running/ jogging/ running/ walking. I’m on it & it it is slow progress, but I’m really starting to get a lot of satisfaction from it

2016 RACES:  
I didn’t take part in any ‘races’, but clocked up lots of miles both swimming & cycling. I also cycled from Zurich to Milan over the alps (gotthard pass! 300km). 
I swim all year round & always outside in one of the local Berlin lakes during April-october. 

— 2017: I have an Olympic Tri booked in June (my first)- The Berlin triathlon) & a 300km cycle trip up the west coast of Norway. I’m wondering if I should try to do a sprint before the Olympic so that I can see how it all works & get a bit better prepared psychologically. What do you think?

My other 2017 goal is also to improve my swimming technique. Currently I’m a strong swimmer & am a bit like someone who was born in the water but has never actually seen anyone else ever swim before. I’ve got a swim-course booked in march to try and get that changed!

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE:  
Stout, wine & rum! (To be fair I’m English, so I will drink anything though)

WEIGHT LOSS:  
I could do with losing about 10kg, but it’s nothing that lots of regular exercise won’t probably fix. I’m much more interested in building up my core strength & stamina again & having some fun at the same time

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER:
I’m motivated, positive, like to support others in their goals & enjoy being part of a community. I’m looking for general guidance about health, nutrition & making sure I don't over do it. Also looking to be part of an active group as it is pretty quiet for Tri training in Berlin. 

Ben - SO GLAD TO HAVE YOU! This is a great group with a lot of knowledge/experience. Feel free to rely on us as you get ready for Berlin this year (How cool is that!!!) I'm really jealous of the bike trip in Norway - taking a cruise there has always been a dream of mine.

Dave
2017-02-28 11:39 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by aviatrix802 ^^^. John!! Yes for recommendations!! I'll have to get my beer map out, but definitely hit Switchback brewery tap room not far from downtown. A friend owns Farmhouse Tap and Grill just off Church Street - local farm to table fare and an amazing beer list. Vermont Pub and Brewery is decent - they usually have Maple Beer this time of year made with sap and their Burley Irish Ale is tasty. Magic Hat's Brewery isn't far but I don't like their beer so I haven't been. Otter Creek Brewing is a bit down the roads, also decent. Here in Essex there's a little Tap room for First Republic Brewing and in Waterbury there is, of course, Heady Topper. Stowe - go to Von Trapp Family Lodge (yes, the Sound of Music family) - they make beer and it's gooood. There are lots of great restaurants in Burlington. For delicious Italian go to Trattoria Delia, for amazing local pizza almost next door to it is.. ..blanking... shoot, I'll have to get back to you on that one. Leunig's on Church Street is always tasty but you may need reservations. Is your plan to stay right in Burlington or are you going to venture outside of it? Ack, sorry so long

Thanks Jenn!

I'm back.  We stayed in South Burlington basically across the street from Magic Hat.  Were going to go because it was right there but opted to just go downtown instead after seeing 4 other breweries.  We went to Zero Gravity first (where I tried what is now my first barrel aged IPA), then Queen City across the street, then Switchback which was having a 'mardis gras dog party', then out to Shelburne to go to Fiddlehead.  We had dinner at the Vermont Pub and Brewery.  From there it just turned into a pub crawl.  The Archives is one of my new favorite spots anywhere - for the uninitiated, they converted the former printing house for the local paper into a bar/arcade.  The place is gorgeous - old industrial/wood.  Love it.  Then they have a phenomenal tap selection (tried both Hill Farmsteads on tap as well as a couple others).  They make beautiful and tasty cocktails.  AND they have a large collection of old school arcade games.  And they all work.  I played Spy Hunter for the first time since probably 1985.  

Also had drunk 2am pizza by the slice at what may be the place you are blanking on the name of.  And I have no idea what it was called I wasn't in any shape to pay any attention haha.

Anyone visiting New England owes it to themselves to check out Burlington.  It's pretty much beer mecca.  Half the bars downtown have cans of Focal Banger and Heady Topper.  It's almost as easy to get as like a bud light or something.  Also did I mention Hill Farmstead on tap?  Seriously the only way I thought I would ever get to try Hill Farmstead was to make the trek into the middle of nowhere VT and find the farm...

John - Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had an absolute blast - from what you can remember Burlington is an amazing place - perhaps we should head up there sometime for a race with Jenn then go out for beers later.

WHat do you say Jenn?

2017-02-28 1:03 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Qua17

Thanks Nicole! Congrats on the PR! What was your time? More importantly, what kind of beers did you guzzle down?

Time was 45:53 -- a 7:23/mile pace

And for the important stuff, I had (shared) two IPA's (back to back to compare flavor profiles) and two milk stouts (one brewed with cacao nibs and one with cinnamon and chilis) from one of our local breweries. 

Houston's beer scene has come a long way in the five years I've lived here....and people are starting to attempt some NEIPA style beers, which is really exciting because I can't get to Trillium or Treehouse on any regular basis!

2017-02-28 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by firebert

Thanks Jenn!

Sounds like a seriously awesome trip!

2017-02-28 2:55 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

And for the important stuff, I had (shared) two IPA's (back to back to compare flavor profiles) and two milk stouts (one brewed with cacao nibs and one with cinnamon and chilis) from one of our local breweries. 

Houston's beer scene has come a long way in the five years I've lived here....and people are starting to attempt some NEIPA style beers, which is really exciting because I can't get to Trillium or Treehouse on any regular basis!

Smoking fast - nicely done and congrats on the PR!  The beers sound awesome.

2017-02-28 3:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida

I'm getting into 'training plan' mode and have a few questions.  My training plans the past two years have been cobbled together and usually involve thumbing through at least two books, an app, and checking the workout calendar to see what the heck I'm supposed to be doing.  This year I'm opting to modify one of the BT plans (16 week sprint bike focused) mostly for simplicity.

1. The plan has two doubles and two rest days.  I know I should have at least one rest day, but I'm not sure I can if I keep keep up my boot camp Thursday nights.  My best rest day would be long bike saturday morning and long run sunday afternoon, allowing ~32 hours or so in between.  Is this ok?  I'm just doing sprint distance here nothing crazy.  I think my longest bike is 2 hours and my longest run like 40 minutes.

2. How bad are back to back swim days?  The plan has swim/bike doubles Monday and Wednesday, but neither works.  So I've moved Monday's swim to Tuesday (previously an off day) and thinking of moving Wednesday's swim to Friday, then moving Friday's bike to Saturday morning (which was supposed to be the other off day).  Alternately I'd keep the swims Tuesday and Wednesday I'm just thinking that's a bad idea for a guy with bad shoulders.

3. The above still leaves me with one double on Thursday, a short run then boot camp.  The trouble with this is my short run is my speed day, and I'll be useless for anything involving legs at boot camp.  I -could- move Thursday's speed run to Wednesday, putting the short run/med bike on the same day for a double instead.

Or - does anyone use a book or something for Sprint/Oly training that has a good speed focused set up?  Even with the above shuffling I still have to put actual workouts in place - the BT plan pretty much just has number of minutes spelled out, and level of intensity for short v long days.

4. And, the above is assuming training up for and tapering for my first race, as opposed to my A race.  Is doing the first (and second) race, then repeating some portion of the plan ok?  How do you training plan for 3 races in 3 months?

Edited by firebert 2017-02-28 3:12 PM
2017-02-28 3:12 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Wow, Nicole, very impressive!!!

Did bodypump and Sprint (HIIT cycling) this morning. Heading to boot camp tomorrow morning.

I also have an interview tonight to be a mentor to a refugee youth. I'm excited to give something back while helping people who are disenfranchised. I've been talking about volunteering for ages but never pulled the trigger. Then I need to grocery shop and start cleaning b/c my house is a MESS!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

2017-02-28 3:13 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Wow, Nicole, very impressive!!! Did bodypump and Sprint (HIIT cycling) this morning. Heading to boot camp tomorrow morning. I also have an interview tonight to be a mentor to a refugee youth. I'm excited to give something back while helping people who are disenfranchised. I've been talking about volunteering for ages but never pulled the trigger. Then I need to grocery shop and start cleaning b/c my house is a MESS! Hope everyone is having a great week!

Sounds fantastic ON - good luck with the interview and good on you for giving back!

2017-02-28 4:11 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Lovely weather this weekend made for my first paddle-boarding excursion of the year with my open water swimming group. Everyone was excited to have a sunny beach and clean water conditions. Didn't quite get in as much running as I had hoped due to enjoying more than a few good beers. Highlights included a Stone IPA from their new Vermont brewery, a nice blend of east and west coast IPA styles.

Nicole: great job on your race!

John: Sounds like a fun trip

Dave: Keep it up, follow your trainer's plan and look forward the beer at the end of the race!

2017-02-28 5:28 PM

User image

Expert

I haven't run anywhere close to that fast since I was in high school and I was more in the 24 minute range. So kudos on you!

As for the beer - it sounds great! I brewed one with cocoa nibs and it gives the beer such an interesting flavor profile.

2017-02-28 5:30 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Wow, Nicole, very impressive!!!

Did bodypump and Sprint (HIIT cycling) this morning. Heading to boot camp tomorrow morning.

I also have an interview tonight to be a mentor to a refugee youth. I'm excited to give something back while helping people who are disenfranchised. I've been talking about volunteering for ages but never pulled the trigger. Then I need to grocery shop and start cleaning b/c my house is a MESS!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

So cool that you give back in such a way - what an amazing thing to do! And it doesn't hurt that your house is a little cleaner
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38713 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.