BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-08-03 8:50 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by Hot Runner Chris, that Hydraquiver sounds great for long rides. The industrial park where I do training rides outdoors here has no place to fill or purchase water (can't drink the tap water here, remember; anyway, no tap, either), so I'm pretty much limited to how far I can ride on water that I can carry on my bike or in a small backpack that I use to carry shoes (I don't switch to bike shoes or clip in till I get to the industrial park). That's basically five bottles; with my bottle and bike setup, a max of 108 oz. On a really hot day, that's three hours max, sometimes even less. (Yes, I sweat that much!) Really no way to do a longer ride without splitting between indoors and out. I find Camelbacks really uncomfortable on the back, and have trouble drawing on the valve hard enough to get enough water, especially when riding hard. (I do have one for MTB rides.) They also have a tendency to grow mold really quickly here in the tropics, and are much harder to clean than bottles. Also harder to keep track of exactly how much you are drinking. I have to really keep on top of hydration in the conditions here or I will become horribly dehydrated. Normally I drink every 5-10 minutes and try to go through a bottle about every 45 minutes. I think I own at least 15 water bottles, between run and bike and "general use". Singapore races tend to give them as swag, so I accumulate quite a few. Sometimes I give them away as "hard worker" prizes for my track and XC runners!

I really like my single for running and like you mentioned, the cleanup is a breeze.  When I run in the woods, I carry a small first aid pouch, my phone, etc.  It all fits in there as well.  I also use it for easier MTB rides.  I think it would be a challenge to use it when riding in aero or even tucked in on the drops on the road bike.  You'd probably have to stop and switch stuff around mid ride, I would think.  I do use a bladder pack for the rougher stuff on the MTB.

For those that are so inclined: https://www.orangemud.com/ 

And no, I don't work for them, I just like their stuff.

2017-08-03 5:31 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hmmmm...Might work better for running than biking. I have a double waist pack that I like, but out of maybe eight I have bought, only two have really worked out. The others are too big in the smallest setting, and/or just don't hold the bottles in a comfortable place without too much jostling, chafing, or sloshing. Might be in the market for something different when my current one bites the dust (they don't last long here). Do you think the bottles would fall out of the hydra quiver in aero? I'm used to shifting things around--right now when I ride in the industrial park, I usually have an extra water bottle plus a pair of shoes in a small backpack, while riding in aero. Yes, it feels a bit awkward and is definitely not very aerodynamic!. But I don't have a good alternative.
2017-08-03 6:58 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 5-6

Robin - Boulder 70.3 on Saturday
Janyne - Lake Logan Half on Saturday
Ann-Marie - CNC Mountain ride on Saturday
Ann-Marie Lake Logan International on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Manatee Administrivia: Look for a new thread on Monday, August 7th.

Also, I'll try to post a longer list of Healing Up Manatees at the end of each month.

2017-08-03 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner Hmmmm...Might work better for running than biking. I have a double waist pack that I like, but out of maybe eight I have bought, only two have really worked out. The others are too big in the smallest setting, and/or just don't hold the bottles in a comfortable place without too much jostling, chafing, or sloshing. Might be in the market for something different when my current one bites the dust (they don't last long here). Do you think the bottles would fall out of the hydra quiver in aero? I'm used to shifting things around--right now when I ride in the industrial park, I usually have an extra water bottle plus a pair of shoes in a small backpack, while riding in aero. Yes, it feels a bit awkward and is definitely not very aerodynamic!. But I don't have a good alternative.

It is built for running, so no bottle issues there. As a matter of fact, I think it would hold the bottle(s) in aero without an issue(it holds fairly tightly). However, if the top on the bottle is loose or the mouthpiece is open, you might get cooled down pretty quick from the water flowing out of it onto your head  Depends on if your back is past parallel. I'll do a bottle/aero test with mine this weekend and let you know what I find.

In so far as the aero ride with a backpack goes, just think of the training wind resistance that is making you stronger. 

2017-08-03 7:14 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

August 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Also, I'll try to post a longer list of Healing Up Manatees at the end of each month.

Race well, everyone!

Might there be a manatee meetup at Lake Logan? I see different days for the races, so my guess is  "no".

2017-08-03 8:24 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Originally posted by cdban66

Racing Manatees!!!

August 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Race well, everyone!

Might there be a manatee meetup at Lake Logan? I see different days for the races, so my guess is  "no".

Woo hoooo! Go, Manatees, gooooo!!

I swam yesterday! I plan to bike this weekend. Still lifting all the things. 8/12 can't come soon enough. My body is so done. I'm reminded daily of all my 45 years of life right now.

TGIF!!

2017-08-03 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

August 5-6

Go Manatees Go!!!

I hope that you all have great races
2017-08-03 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Yay does that mean that winter is nearly over for me????

I so hope so cause I am really struggling with it. My motivation for everything has gone. I really think that I need some sunshine, the last couple of weeks here has been really cold (for us) and wet and I am just so very over it. The maximum temp at our place the other day was 10*C (so 50) and the minimum was 2 (so 35). I know for many of you that isn't cold but for here it is. That on top of the sun not rising until after 7am for the last couple of months has just really gotten to me. I struggle with it every winter but it seems worse this year - maybe it isn't but it feels like it is now.

I do ok during the day at work and have actually been the most productive that I have been in a while, but outside of work I just cant seem to get myself to do anything. I drag myself up in the mornings in time to feed the dogs and go to work and then when I get home I basically make tea and then sit in front of the TV. I also eat A LOT of bad food.

It is starting to really depress me, which makes me eat worse, which means that I have put on even more weight which makes me feel even worse. I know that the remedy for most of it is to get up and run and I want to but I just cant seem to make myself do it.

Someone has suggested to me to take vitamin D tablets so I think that I will look into that. Maybe the long term solution is to move to the tropics where they get better sunlight during the winter, but I'm not sure that I could cope with the humidity and the dogs definitely wont cope so that option is out.

Sorry to whine because I know that many of you are facing far greater problems at the moment but i just need to get it out of my head and here is a safe place to do that.
2017-08-04 6:15 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Would it help to get a treadmill and run inside so you wouldn't have to go out into the cold and dark? And you could find videos of nice tropical scenery to "run" through.
2017-08-04 9:16 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Hot Runner Would it help to get a treadmill and run inside so you wouldn't have to go out into the cold and dark? And you could find videos of nice tropical scenery to "run" through.

Wish I had a pic of it. Stace Face and I both have the most incredible enormous panorama photo of a sunset she took. It's amazing.

Stace Face, it's not just you. Kingsley's depressed too. I mean yeah, it's been a horrific time for both of us, but it got really, really bad with the weather turning, and it's the coldest it's been. Remember that everyone everywhere else has heat and turns it on. Aussies tough it out with maybe a small fireplace or space heater. I mean he is in a very unKingsleylike way, totally down. No training at all. Nothing. Won't go. Doesn't want to. It's really sad. I want to bring my voodoo friend Michele to Perth, never mind just Jakarta! She's crazy busy. I mean, she is really really good and effective, so she should be. Kingsley and I are also strung out to the last penny with all our trying to save the world shyte (and my family, and and blah blah).

Yeah Karen ... I remember than Nuong Loc Wot the Foc stuff I didn't think it was that bad but then again I'm a crocodile. You were eating ice off the ground, I was stealing drinks off neighbor's bikes in T2. At long last I found a product that makes me barf. It's the *specific* Endura formula (all their other ones are fine) they use at Australian Ironmans now (of course). Apparently the high magnesium content makes a whole lotta people barf (this I noticed).

I have a nearly infinite supply now because nobody wants it. I'm making Oscar's guys train with it because if they can hold that down and race in heat, they are really good to go on any kind of nutrition/hydration in any conditions!

I'm still struggling. I probably will be for a while. You guys are like fresh air and a good smile. Thanks.

2017-08-04 9:37 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO FORTI!!!

GO NYNY!!!

GO GO HANDS-MARIE!!!

2017-08-04 10:08 AM

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by jmkizer Manatee Administrivia: Look for a new thread on Monday, August 7th.
Yay does that mean that winter is nearly over for me???? I so hope so cause I am really struggling with it. My motivation for everything has gone. I really think that I need some sunshine, the last couple of weeks here has been really cold (for us) and wet and I am just so very over it. The maximum temp at our place the other day was 10*C (so 50) and the minimum was 2 (so 35). I know for many of you that isn't cold but for here it is. That on top of the sun not rising until after 7am for the last couple of months has just really gotten to me. I struggle with it every winter but it seems worse this year - maybe it isn't but it feels like it is now. I do ok during the day at work and have actually been the most productive that I have been in a while, but outside of work I just cant seem to get myself to do anything. I drag myself up in the mornings in time to feed the dogs and go to work and then when I get home I basically make tea and then sit in front of the TV. I also eat A LOT of bad food. It is starting to really depress me, which makes me eat worse, which means that I have put on even more weight which makes me feel even worse. I know that the remedy for most of it is to get up and run and I want to but I just cant seem to make myself do it. Someone has suggested to me to take vitamin D tablets so I think that I will look into that. Maybe the long term solution is to move to the tropics where they get better sunlight during the winter, but I'm not sure that I could cope with the humidity and the dogs definitely wont cope so that option is out. Sorry to whine because I know that many of you are facing far greater problems at the moment but i just need to get it out of my head and here is a safe place to do that.

Stacey, if you can, invest in a light therapy light.  I struggle every winter as well, but it gets me though.  I have a small desktop model.  I turn it on when I come in the morning, it stays on for an hour.  Even if I only get 15 minutes of sitting at my desk in that hour, it makes a world of difference.  More energy, less depression.  Totally worth the $200 I spent.

And with respect to getting out and running: Yanti used to always say just get dressed to run.  If you still don't want to go, then don't.  Just make the commitment to get ready to go and see how you feel.  It always gets me out the door!  Sending sunshine your way!

2017-08-04 10:16 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by jmkizer Manatee Administrivia: Look for a new thread on Monday, August 7th.
Yay does that mean that winter is nearly over for me???? I so hope so cause I am really struggling with it. My motivation for everything has gone. I really think that I need some sunshine, the last couple of weeks here has been really cold (for us) and wet and I am just so very over it. The maximum temp at our place the other day was 10*C (so 50) and the minimum was 2 (so 35). I know for many of you that isn't cold but for here it is. That on top of the sun not rising until after 7am for the last couple of months has just really gotten to me. I struggle with it every winter but it seems worse this year - maybe it isn't but it feels like it is now. I do ok during the day at work and have actually been the most productive that I have been in a while, but outside of work I just cant seem to get myself to do anything. I drag myself up in the mornings in time to feed the dogs and go to work and then when I get home I basically make tea and then sit in front of the TV. I also eat A LOT of bad food. It is starting to really depress me, which makes me eat worse, which means that I have put on even more weight which makes me feel even worse. I know that the remedy for most of it is to get up and run and I want to but I just cant seem to make myself do it. Someone has suggested to me to take vitamin D tablets so I think that I will look into that. Maybe the long term solution is to move to the tropics where they get better sunlight during the winter, but I'm not sure that I could cope with the humidity and the dogs definitely wont cope so that option is out. Sorry to whine because I know that many of you are facing far greater problems at the moment but i just need to get it out of my head and here is a safe place to do that.

Stacey, if you can, invest in a light therapy light.  I struggle every winter as well, but it gets me though.  I have a small desktop model.  I turn it on when I come in the morning, it stays on for an hour.  Even if I only get 15 minutes of sitting at my desk in that hour, it makes a world of difference.  More energy, less depression.  Totally worth the $200 I spent.

And with respect to getting out and running: Yanti used to always say just get dressed to run.  If you still don't want to go, then don't.  Just make the commitment to get ready to go and see how you feel.  It always gets me out the door!  Sending sunshine your way!

I really needed to see this today. Thank you. {MELON PRESS}

2017-08-04 12:15 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by IronOx

I really needed to see this today. Thank you. {MELON PRESS}

You are most welcome!  It has helped me numerous times, glad it has come back to help you! <3

2017-08-04 6:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
That would be this one Yanti. It's the sunrise over the bay in my home town. It used to hang on the wall in front of my very nice treadmill, but unfortunately it fell off the wall last year and I have had to move it

Edited by StaceyK 2017-08-04 6:31 PM

(IMG_2194.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2194.JPG (2079KB - 16 downloads)
2017-08-04 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Nice pic! One other idea to shame yourself into training (not you, Yanti, you probably need the sleep more!)--Sleep in your running clothes. That way you can start the workout sooner. For me, there's something about taking them off and putting on something else without actually running in them first that seems wrong. Not sure this would work for others, or that anyone you sleep with would approve, but it has worked for me in the past.

Yanti, I don't know about a drink that makes people throw up--not sure we need that in our sport. It can be puke-inducing enough already!

2017-08-04 7:58 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

August 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, Janyne and Hands!!!

Thanks everyone!
2017-08-05 3:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Nice pic! One other idea to shame yourself into training (not you, Yanti, you probably need the sleep more!)--Sleep in your running clothes. That way you can start the workout sooner. For me, there's something about taking them off and putting on something else without actually running in them first that seems wrong. Not sure this would work for others, or that anyone you sleep with would approve, but it has worked for me in the past.

Yanti, I don't know about a drink that makes people throw up--not sure we need that in our sport. It can be puke-inducing enough already!
Or have your mum book and pay for your flights to Disney, that certainly scares the shyte out of you!

Yep flights for the Dopey Challenge booked and paid for today - it just got very very real.

Edited by StaceyK 2017-08-05 3:58 AM
2017-08-05 8:04 PM

User image

Race was delayed by 30 minutes because traffic was so bad no one could get to the Rez. I was there because we know parking and traffic can be bad race mornings, so we got there at 5 even though transition didn't open until 5:30. We still had to sit in traffic!

My swim went well. It was very congested and I found myself swimming around people so I couldn't get kicked again.

I got out of the water, got my bike, and was starving. I wanted to eat everything in my bento box. I usually wait at least 20 minutes into the bike before I eat, but I couldn't wait. When breakfast is at 3:45 and your pre-race snack is 60 minutes before what your start time should have been, ya get hungry when you have to wait 30 more minutes. I started cramping at about mile 10. Continued to eat, drink, and take BASE Salt. There was a head wind, I was hungry, but I was having a blast!! I willed away the cramping refocusing, telling others they were doing awesome, and thanking the volunteers and police officers working. Oh, and talking to a lot of cows and horses. I of course had to talk to Winston the pig who lives in a house on the course. He comes when you call him!

Got off the bike, had to use the litter box, and got ready for the run.

About 5 minutes into the run the cramping returned in my left leg, from calf to my glutes and quads. I refused to walk so I did my ignore mode. Walked the first aid station, ate a GU, took some BASE Salt, and Gatorade. I had my Sippy Cup (That's what my coach and I call my hand held water bottle) so I could drink throughout when needed. Started to run and my right leg cramped. Tried to ignore. It went away with more base salt. Few minutes later, the left cramped again. By the time I got to mile 3.8 both were cramping. Three of my training buddies who weren't racing were there and they gave me encouragement but all the sudden I was on the ground. I got up, fell again, and the next thing I know I was in a police car.

So, I had my first Did Not Fail. I was so embarrassed at the time, but no longer. I didn't stop because I couldn't take it. My body made me stop. There will be more races.

So if I ran only 3.8 miles, why do my legs feel worse now then they did after IM Boulder?

Edited by fortissimo 2017-08-05 8:06 PM
2017-08-06 12:11 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Oh, ouch! I feel your pain with the cramping. That is exactly what I was afraid would happen to me in the final three miles of CDA 70.3. Even in the last 100 or 200m to the finish line, I wasn't entirely sure I wouldn't end up on the ground or in a police car. (I guess, being a downhill finish, I could have rolled the final bit if allowed to, if it came to that!) Hope you can get to the bottom of what caused the cramping--I still haven't. The usual suspects (heat, dehydration, electrolytes) don't seem to be true in my case as it has only happened in cool races, never with training or racing in the tropics. Guessing in your case it might be something fuel-related--low blood sugar, maybe? Or overcooking the bike leg, given the limited amount of fuel in the system? Was it hot/humid?

No shame--some days, the body just says, "No!" for whatever reason. You kept going until it just refused. That even happens (quite often, actually) to the pros at Kona. On a normal day, we'd just call in sick, or bag the planned workout or hike or whatever, and rest up on the couch. I think we all have those days--it's just that for athletes, sometimes they unfortunately coincide with a race.
2017-08-06 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by fortissimo

Race was delayed by 30 minutes because traffic was so bad no one could get to the Rez. I was there because we know parking and traffic can be bad race mornings, so we got there at 5 even though transition didn't open until 5:30. We still had to sit in traffic!

My swim went well. It was very congested and I found myself swimming around people so I couldn't get kicked again.

I got out of the water, got my bike, and was starving. I wanted to eat everything in my bento box. I usually wait at least 20 minutes into the bike before I eat, but I couldn't wait. When breakfast is at 3:45 and your pre-race snack is 60 minutes before what your start time should have been, ya get hungry when you have to wait 30 more minutes. I started cramping at about mile 10. Continued to eat, drink, and take BASE Salt. There was a head wind, I was hungry, but I was having a blast!! I willed away the cramping refocusing, telling others they were doing awesome, and thanking the volunteers and police officers working. Oh, and talking to a lot of cows and horses. I of course had to talk to Winston the pig who lives in a house on the course. He comes when you call him!

Got off the bike, had to use the litter box, and got ready for the run.

About 5 minutes into the run the cramping returned in my left leg, from calf to my glutes and quads. I refused to walk so I did my ignore mode. Walked the first aid station, ate a GU, took some BASE Salt, and Gatorade. I had my Sippy Cup (That's what my coach and I call my hand held water bottle) so I could drink throughout when needed. Started to run and my right leg cramped. Tried to ignore. It went away with more base salt. Few minutes later, the left cramped again. By the time I got to mile 3.8 both were cramping. Three of my training buddies who weren't racing were there and they gave me encouragement but all the sudden I was on the ground. I got up, fell again, and the next thing I know I was in a police car.

So, I had my first Did Not Fail. I was so embarrassed at the time, but no longer. I didn't stop because I couldn't take it. My body made me stop. There will be more races.

So if I ran only 3.8 miles, why do my legs feel worse now then they did after IM Boulder?

Oh bugger Robin.

But as Karen said absolutely no shame in not crossing the line. You went until your body wouldn't go any more. Good on you for pushing yourself as far as you did, riding and running with cramp like that would have been very tough.

2017-08-06 2:47 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Hot Runner Nice pic! One other idea to shame yourself into training (not you, Yanti, you probably need the sleep more!)--Sleep in your running clothes. That way you can start the workout sooner. For me, there's something about taking them off and putting on something else without actually running in them first that seems wrong. Not sure this would work for others, or that anyone you sleep with would approve, but it has worked for me in the past. Yanti, I don't know about a drink that makes people throw up--not sure we need that in our sport. It can be puke-inducing enough already!

Hahaha ... I just told a guy today to sleep with his timing chip on for Ironman. (If any of my athletes ever actually saw what I do or perhaps what I don't do before an Ironman they'd fire me like two days ago! Stace Face has attested to this!)

This is what young Albert (the 17yo whiz kid who got 4th OA at Bintan in his 2nd tri ever) had to say about Endura Plus magnesium (pineapple flavor) ...

(08.06 Albert.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
08.06 Albert.jpg (81KB - 14 downloads)
2017-08-06 2:51 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by fortissimo Race was delayed by 30 minutes because traffic was so bad no one could get to the Rez. I was there because we know parking and traffic can be bad race mornings, so we got there at 5 even though transition didn't open until 5:30. We still had to sit in traffic! My swim went well. It was very congested and I found myself swimming around people so I couldn't get kicked again. I got out of the water, got my bike, and was starving. I wanted to eat everything in my bento box. I usually wait at least 20 minutes into the bike before I eat, but I couldn't wait. When breakfast is at 3:45 and your pre-race snack is 60 minutes before what your start time should have been, ya get hungry when you have to wait 30 more minutes. I started cramping at about mile 10. Continued to eat, drink, and take BASE Salt. There was a head wind, I was hungry, but I was having a blast!! I willed away the cramping refocusing, telling others they were doing awesome, and thanking the volunteers and police officers working. Oh, and talking to a lot of cows and horses. I of course had to talk to Winston the pig who lives in a house on the course. He comes when you call him! Got off the bike, had to use the litter box, and got ready for the run. About 5 minutes into the run the cramping returned in my left leg, from calf to my glutes and quads. I refused to walk so I did my ignore mode. Walked the first aid station, ate a GU, took some BASE Salt, and Gatorade. I had my Sippy Cup (That's what my coach and I call my hand held water bottle) so I could drink throughout when needed. Started to run and my right leg cramped. Tried to ignore. It went away with more base salt. Few minutes later, the left cramped again. By the time I got to mile 3.8 both were cramping. Three of my training buddies who weren't racing were there and they gave me encouragement but all the sudden I was on the ground. I got up, fell again, and the next thing I know I was in a police car. So, I had my first Did Not Fail. I was so embarrassed at the time, but no longer. I didn't stop because I couldn't take it. My body made me stop. There will be more races. So if I ran only 3.8 miles, why do my legs feel worse now then they did after IM Boulder?

Yay! You remembered the correct mnemonic!

I'm sorry about the race 95% of the time cramping is a fitness issue (outracing current level of fitness) but that is definitely not the case with you. 

It's shyte happens. You responded with grace and not shyte. Unlike me and I'm STILL paying for some of my shoulda-quit race mistakes now.

2017-08-06 3:36 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by fortissimo Race was delayed by 30 minutes because traffic was so bad no one could get to the Rez. I was there because we know parking and traffic can be bad race mornings, so we got there at 5 even though transition didn't open until 5:30. We still had to sit in traffic! My swim went well. It was very congested and I found myself swimming around people so I couldn't get kicked again. I got out of the water, got my bike, and was starving. I wanted to eat everything in my bento box. I usually wait at least 20 minutes into the bike before I eat, but I couldn't wait. When breakfast is at 3:45 and your pre-race snack is 60 minutes before what your start time should have been, ya get hungry when you have to wait 30 more minutes. I started cramping at about mile 10. Continued to eat, drink, and take BASE Salt. There was a head wind, I was hungry, but I was having a blast!! I willed away the cramping refocusing, telling others they were doing awesome, and thanking the volunteers and police officers working. Oh, and talking to a lot of cows and horses. I of course had to talk to Winston the pig who lives in a house on the course. He comes when you call him! Got off the bike, had to use the litter box, and got ready for the run. About 5 minutes into the run the cramping returned in my left leg, from calf to my glutes and quads. I refused to walk so I did my ignore mode. Walked the first aid station, ate a GU, took some BASE Salt, and Gatorade. I had my Sippy Cup (That's what my coach and I call my hand held water bottle) so I could drink throughout when needed. Started to run and my right leg cramped. Tried to ignore. It went away with more base salt. Few minutes later, the left cramped again. By the time I got to mile 3.8 both were cramping. Three of my training buddies who weren't racing were there and they gave me encouragement but all the sudden I was on the ground. I got up, fell again, and the next thing I know I was in a police car. So, I had my first Did Not Fail. I was so embarrassed at the time, but no longer. I didn't stop because I couldn't take it. My body made me stop. There will be more races. So if I ran only 3.8 miles, why do my legs feel worse now then they did after IM Boulder?

Yay! You remembered the correct mnemonic!

I'm sorry about the race 95% of the time cramping is a fitness issue (outracing current level of fitness) but that is definitely not the case with you. 

It's shyte happens. You responded with grace and not shyte. Unlike me and I'm STILL paying for some of my shoulda-quit race mistakes now.

Aww, thanks Yanti! But trust me, after texting back and forth with one of my buddies, I guess I gave a fight. He accused me of being stubborn! I asked how I got in the police car so he told me the story of my "run" - He said that they saw me running and could tell something was wrong. They grabbed me and I fell to the ground. I got up and said I had to finish the race, but when I stood I fell again. He said the had to hold me on the ground so I wouldn't get up again. While they waited for medical another police officer arrived and they picked me up and put me in the car so I could cool off. I was told I tried to get out of the car because my husband would be mad if I didn't finish the race. (he would have killed me if I tried to finish, haha) My friends were talking to my husband on the phone throughout the time I was held captive, assuring him they would not let me escape.

And they have the nerve to accuse me of being stubborn! Was I channeling my inner Yanti?

2017-08-06 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This sounds to me more like heat exhaustion/heatstroke that led to the cramps, especially if you can't really remember the incident and were getting combative with them. Possibly low blood sugar, but most people wouldn't have the energy to put up much of a fight. Or possession by Yanti?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102