BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-02-20 4:45 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Originally posted by lisac957

Happy Monday, gang. I knocked out my 24-mile run Saturday on mostly gravel, but ended up tweaking my left calf and getting a cluster of blisters on my right big toe. Didn't do the 10-mile follow up yesterday as I could barely hobble around, mostly because of my calf. I know it was the right decision to rest yesterday, but still feeling a little deflated. 

Ouch, those blisters are the worst. Great running!

2017-02-20 6:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by melbo55

So, Tapiriik users...I just signed up for the service to move only my TrainerRoad rides, the only workout type that doesn't already auto-load.  It's 'queuing' as we speak, and it has been for at least 20 minutes already.  Why is it taking so long? Does it always take this long?  I changed the setting so it doesn't look for any workouts that happened prior to yesterday and still it spins and spins and spins...  

Trying the same thing, and the same thing is happening.

Also, anyone know how to sign up for the $2 a year?  There seems to be no link to do so, unless I'm missing something obvious (would not be the first time)
M

Well, well... Asking the Google works again.  (It's under "Automatic Synchronization" rather than a pay here kind of link).

Once I found that and forked over SEVERAL of my hard earned fun-strips, the Queuing circle of death kept spinning - but it gave me a time to completion (58 minutes in this case, for synching my bike rides over the last two months to BT).  So, that's one point of comparison for you...

Matt

I manually import my TR rides - been doing it for years.  When you use the Tapriik thingy, what information comes over?  Just minutes and distance, or do you get the HR and power numbers, too?

Glad you found the Tapiriik link Matt. I looked for it Friday, but could not find it as I had already paid. It's not the most user friendly website. For instance, to log back in to your account, you have to click as though you are trying to set up a new device. Not intuitive at all.

Mike: As far as what comes over - pretty much everything you would want. Just about everything that isn't treadmill or exercise bike based on my BT training log came over from my watch's website (movescount) -> Strava -> BT (via Tapiriik). For instance, yesterday's run came with time of day, distance, duration ,pace, heart rate min max and average, and calories - all automatically. It doesn't come immediately, but I don't mind waiting the hour or so for it to show up.

Edited by awm007 2017-02-20 6:45 AM
2017-02-20 9:32 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Details of my semi-triumphant return to activity are in my blog for anyone that's interested.  Cliff Notes version :

15 bike, 12 min TM walk, 5 reps of stairs, pathetic attempt at stretching, floated in the pool, got roped into a political conversation in the sauna (WTF???).  Then jacked up my back trying to get out the car.  LOL

I feel pretty good today, though my left leg muscles are doing their old "not firing right so my knee hurts" thing.  Been there, so I know what to do. 

It's supposed to be 70* here today, so we're going to walk around Fells Point in B-more for a bit.  Happy Sunday!

Wooo, hooo, congrats on the comeback!  Sounds like it went well minus the political convo and the effort of getting out of the car.

Oooooooh, Fells Point, I love Fells Point!  You are reminding me that my sister and I are overdue for an Inner Harbor/Fells Point trip.  We used go at least once a year but we've fallen off that pattern and I think it's been 2 years since we've been there.  Must. Plan. Excursion!

Keep up the gradual return to activity and remember to be patient!

2017-02-21 9:12 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Smithtown, New York
I ran 4 miles this weekend with my girlfriend, we're going to kick this year! Adjusting my diet last week and relaxing more during my workouts has really helped a ton. I just need to run easy everyday so that running becomes natural

I've noticed when I go to the pool I see a lot of older triathletes, pretty obvious from swim caps and tattoos, really don't have good form. I see a lot of people just swim lap after lap. I'm curious where my other manatees put their swim focus on? I personally put swimming drills into all of my intervals to enforce good form, twisting kick and catch up really help me. I also swim back and breast every workout unless I'm doing OWS. I found really practicing good form lead meto some great times last year without putting in too much effort!
2017-02-21 9:24 AM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I ran 4 miles this weekend with my girlfriend, we're going to kick this year! Adjusting my diet last week and relaxing more during my workouts has really helped a ton. I just need to run easy everyday so that running becomes natural I've noticed when I go to the pool I see a lot of older triathletes, pretty obvious from swim caps and tattoos, really don't have good form. I see a lot of people just swim lap after lap. I'm curious where my other manatees put their swim focus on? I personally put swimming drills into all of my intervals to enforce good form, twisting kick and catch up really help me. I also swim back and breast every workout unless I'm doing OWS. I found really practicing good form lead meto some great times last year without putting in too much effort!

I'm so glad to hear you've found some reasons for feeling 'off' and are back on your way to regular training and feeling good.  Amazing how diet and stress can affect us!

As far as your swimming question, when I first started masters our coach had us doing a fair amount of drills to help with form and feeling the water - sculling, catch-up, fist, etc. which helped me improve a fair amount since I was never formally taught swim strokes beyond very basic freestyle and backstroke. (I spent a lot of my childhood in pools, oceans, lakes, etc. and was/am very confident in the water and had decent enough swimming skills, just nothing technical)  

Nowadays we have a new masters coach and he's been emphasizing other aspects of freestyle and we next to never do drills.  He emphasizes stroke rate, breathing, and good body position.  I don't know if I really answered your question or not.  Is there any way for you to take a few lessons with a coach who could help you with any form flaws and teach you drills, etc. to improve them?

2017-02-21 9:44 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I ran 4 miles this weekend with my girlfriend, we're going to kick this year! Adjusting my diet last week and relaxing more during my workouts has really helped a ton. I just need to run easy everyday so that running becomes natural I've noticed when I go to the pool I see a lot of older triathletes, pretty obvious from swim caps and tattoos, really don't have good form. I see a lot of people just swim lap after lap. I'm curious where my other manatees put their swim focus on? I personally put swimming drills into all of my intervals to enforce good form, twisting kick and catch up really help me. I also swim back and breast every workout unless I'm doing OWS. I found really practicing good form lead meto some great times last year without putting in too much effort!

I'm so glad to hear you've found some reasons for feeling 'off' and are back on your way to regular training and feeling good.  Amazing how diet and stress can affect us!

As far as your swimming question, when I first started masters our coach had us doing a fair amount of drills to help with form and feeling the water - sculling, catch-up, fist, etc. which helped me improve a fair amount since I was never formally taught swim strokes beyond very basic freestyle and backstroke. (I spent a lot of my childhood in pools, oceans, lakes, etc. and was/am very confident in the water and had decent enough swimming skills, just nothing technical)  

Nowadays we have a new masters coach and he's been emphasizing other aspects of freestyle and we next to never do drills.  He emphasizes stroke rate, breathing, and good body position.  I don't know if I really answered your question or not.  Is there any way for you to take a few lessons with a coach who could help you with any form flaws and teach you drills, etc. to improve them?

Agreed - congrats on feeling better. I never really appreciated the importance of nutrition until I started doing triathlon - it's amazing what a difference a gel can make on a long run. The same is true outside of training too. A big meal and I usually don't feel like doing much of anything the next day or so. Knowing I have a long run or ride coming up is very motivating to eat well before it, otherwise it'll be terrible.

On swimming, I'm relatively new to this and don't consider myself a strong swimmer. However, I was able to go from swimming no more than 25 yards at a time to being about the middle of the pack in races in about a years time. If you have access to a coach, then absolutely do that! Being cheap and busy, I only did a couple of lessons with a "coach" (just a more experienced triathlete that had swam competively in high school). I found a copy of Total Immersion Swimming (and videos that are pretty much all online) and did a lot of drill focused workouts. The workouts I was doing had a warm-up, then 6 x 50 drills, then some work sets, then 6 x 50 more drills, then a cooldown. The drills take forever, are difficult, and generally terrible but they do help. Just this AM I did a fist drill and realized immediately that I wasn't getting enough hip rotation on my right side to get much power in my right arm.

I have since cut the drills down a bit (more like 6 x 25) but also I try to really think about different parts of form during the warm up and work sets. One lap I might focus on hand entry. The next, head position during breathing, etc.

Again, no doubt you'd be far better off with a proper coach, but unless you have a fast and smooth stroke that's second nature, focusing on drills and form is probably your best bang for your buck (or time). At the very least, you'll get a lot more out of that than just zoning out and slogging up and down the lane.

2017-02-21 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Glad you are feeling better!  I don't read your post as asking whether you should get a coach or work on your form, but rather a statement that your focus on good form has helped you get good at swimming. If that's wrong - get a coach 

I swim with a masters' group and we do drills every workout.  My form still needs work! I grew up in the water, but not swimming laps, so I am quite comfortable, just a bit slow!!  But now I am following my own advice and am taking private lessons.  Since i am on run and bike lock down, getting better at swimming has become something I have the time to try to do.  Before, I just accepted my crappy swim times and used my bike and run to make up places in races - probably not the smartest plan.  Hopefully, this down time will help me become a marginally better swimmer, so I have less work to do when I am able to get back to it!  At least that thought is what's helping to keep me from going completely stir crazy

2017-02-21 12:05 PM

User image

Smithtown, New York

That's awesome! I personally can't afford a coach so I went and studied proper swim form coupled with the kinesiology course I took in the fall to become a better swimmer. I find that those two drills really helps sets a good form for me so that when I'm doing freestyle I can focus on good arm movements, high elbows during the pull and recovery phase, making an s shape during my pull, never crossing the midline, taking good long strokes and pulling my arms with my back. I used to be such a slow swimmer but putting such an emphasis on form and having that routine has done wonders for me. I hope to be a competitive masters swimmer next winter if I chose not to be lazy and go that route
2017-02-21 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Rileyvb91

I ran 4 miles this weekend with my girlfriend, we're going to kick this year! Adjusting my diet last week and relaxing more during my workouts has really helped a ton. I just need to run easy everyday so that running becomes natural

I've noticed when I go to the pool I see a lot of older triathletes, pretty obvious from swim caps and tattoos, really don't have good form. I see a lot of people just swim lap after lap. I'm curious where my other manatees put their swim focus on? I personally put swimming drills into all of my intervals to enforce good form, twisting kick and catch up really help me. I also swim back and breast every workout unless I'm doing OWS. I found really practicing good form lead meto some great times last year without putting in too much effort!

I'm pretty sure you are talking about me, horrible form and grinding out ( on the few occasions I get in the pool) lap after lap. My swim options are very limited, because I do not have a public pool easily available. 95% of my swimming is done in the open water in Lake Huron. Since I am limited, I don't do drills, it is more important for me to get in distance. For races swimming is the plastic chocolate coating that I have to eat to get to the ice cream and fudge in my drumstick.
2017-02-21 1:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Double Post

Edited by JBacarella 2017-02-21 1:48 PM
2017-02-21 1:52 PM

User image

Originally posted by Rileyvb91

That's awesome! I personally can't afford a coach so I went and studied proper swim form coupled with the kinesiology course I took in the fall to become a better swimmer. I find that those two drills really helps sets a good form for me so that when I'm doing freestyle I can focus on good arm movements, high elbows during the pull and recovery phase, making an s shape during my pull, never crossing the midline, taking good long strokes and pulling my arms with my back. I used to be such a slow swimmer but putting such an emphasis on form and having that routine has done wonders for me. I hope to be a competitive masters swimmer next winter if I chose not to be lazy and go that route

I'm another adult onset swimmer and have very slowly gone from around 2:00/100 to closer to 1:40/100. I've taken a couple private lessons over the years but I rarely drill when I swim solo which is 99% of my swims. I've found more time in the pool, watching a lot of online videos and picking out the good and bad of what people around me are doing has helped. I'm not sure I'll ever be a front pack swimmer but I enjoy the technique challenge and like others, I try and focus on no more than 2 things at a time when I swim. My next goal is to get someone to video me so all of you can tell me how uncoordinated and ridiculous I look!

2017-02-21 2:07 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Karen - I hope that you are continuing to improve.  Sorry about the setback that your class trip caused.  :-(

McMatt - Did you get Tapiriik working? I’ve had good luck with Tapiriik but, as with so many things, YMMV.

Riley - I hope that you’re still on the road to wellness and that your energy levels are starting to return to normal.  

TJ - Kevin has Zwift set up.  I think that he had to get a lot of parts (dongles, etc.).  Nothing all that expensive but several parts to get things working.  He also used it as an excuse to get another computer. I’m pretty sure that the thinks that I did not notice that part!

Ann-Marie - Funny that you should mention InstantPot.  I emailed Melanie a think about Hungry Girl starting to offer InstantPot recipes.  I’m very intrigued but I have not yet convinced myself that I need another kitchen appliance. (TJ, I forgot that you have one as well!).  I’m afraid that 6-quarts will be too big for my small household.  

Melanie - Tapiriik takes a long time the first time because it’s gathering a lot of data.  It usually within a few minutes otherwise.

Robin - Congrats (again) on the new training partner!

Mike - Welcome back to training :-D I hope that the car didn’t cause any serious setback.

2017-02-21 3:20 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Karen - I hope that you are continuing to improve.  Sorry about the setback that your class trip caused.  :-(

McMatt - Did you get Tapiriik working? I’ve had good luck with Tapiriik but, as with so many things, YMMV.

Riley - I hope that you’re still on the road to wellness and that your energy levels are starting to return to normal.  

TJ - Kevin has Zwift set up.  I think that he had to get a lot of parts (dongles, etc.).  Nothing all that expensive but several parts to get things working.  He also used it as an excuse to get another computer. I’m pretty sure that the thinks that I did not notice that part!

Ann-Marie - Funny that you should mention InstantPot.  I emailed Melanie a think about Hungry Girl starting to offer InstantPot recipes.  I’m very intrigued but I have not yet convinced myself that I need another kitchen appliance. (TJ, I forgot that you have one as well!).  I’m afraid that 6-quarts will be too big for my small household.  

Melanie - Tapiriik takes a long time the first time because it’s gathering a lot of data.  It usually within a few minutes otherwise.

Mike - Welcome back to training :-D I hope that the car didn’t cause any serious setback.

instapot does have a 5 quart version   I decided to get one, we'll see how often I use it...

2017-02-21 3:56 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

I am starting to feel more human. Yesterday and today I tackled the stairs at Chimney Rock State Park. Lots of stairs. 829  one way. The beast went with me. She probably did 100 total stairs (mostly down) or less. I got a good arm workout carrying her.

2017-02-21 6:03 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Still not feeling that great. I think I am improving a bit day to day but it has been slow--asthma makes the process more difficult. Normally just a minor issue--occasionally I'll start wheezing and need an inhaler if I'm doing a long ride or race when field burning or other pollution is going on, but even a minor cold and it becomes 100% worse. Still not up to training--it's a pretty simple call in my case. If I'm having asthma issues half the night, or when at work, I'm not going to attempt a workout. I've had to go back to work even though my voice is still pretty much shot--just can't leave the kiddos to a rotating parade of subs. I felt like not much was getting done academically and I was getting some complaints about the behavior of a few of my "high-maintenance" kids--they don't deal well with subs and the resulting change in structure/routine. Bored out of my skull at this point. Not much to life but work, taking various meds, and attempting to get some sleep. Anyone with asthma will understand the latter--it's a lot worse when you lie down, Ugh.

As for swimming--I haven't done anything in about three weeks now. But when I do train, I probably swim more than a lot of triathletes. Usually a workout is in the 2800-3500m range, which for me is 45-60 minutes of swimming (not counting recovery, etc.) It actually hasn't changed much from when I was coaching myself to having a coach. I generally swim 3X a week; occasionally 4 but one would be a recovery swim after a hard ride or run. I think it's useful as "free" cardio--I do see carryover to running from it--as well as aiding in recovery from riding and running. Plus I like to swim--I know that's unusual for a triathlete!

A workout usually includes a warmup, some drills focusing on my areas of weakness (bilateral breathing, rotation, and sets that focus on either strength, speed, or race pace endurance, and cool-down. Before I had the coach, I took a lot of my workouts from Sara McLarty's website, which usually has one workout focusing on technique, one on strength/speed, and one on endurance. I think nearly everyone would benefit from work on form. I've been swimming since I was a baby and doing freestyle since age 5 or 6, but there are still things I need to work on. Basically, my stroke seems to be efficient for long distances and open water, but there are aspects of my form (and probably strength as well) that hold me back from increasing my top-end speed. That causes a problem in a big wave, when I tend to get stuck behind people who are going to swim a much slower average pace. Guessing this is why my average speed/100m is usually faster in a longer swim, like HIM, than in a shorter one! The field gets more spread out in a longer event and it's often easier to get out in the clear. Some of it also is just me--I'm really a "slow twitch" type and can hold a pretty fast pace for a long time when fit. But finding that extra gear for a sprint, or getting out quickly on the swim is very difficult.
2017-02-21 6:25 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Still not feeling that great. I think I am improving a bit day to day but it has been slow--asthma makes the process more difficult. Normally just a minor issue--occasionally I'll start wheezing and need an inhaler if I'm doing a long ride or race when field burning or other pollution is going on, but even a minor cold and it becomes 100% worse. Still not up to training--it's a pretty simple call in my case. If I'm having asthma issues half the night, or when at work, I'm not going to attempt a workout. I've had to go back to work even though my voice is still pretty much shot--just can't leave the kiddos to a rotating parade of subs. I felt like not much was getting done academically and I was getting some complaints about the behavior of a few of my "high-maintenance" kids--they don't deal well with subs and the resulting change in structure/routine. Bored out of my skull at this point. Not much to life but work, taking various meds, and attempting to get some sleep. Anyone with asthma will understand the latter--it's a lot worse when you lie down, Ugh. As for swimming--I haven't done anything in about three weeks now. But when I do train, I probably swim more than a lot of triathletes. Usually a workout is in the 2800-3500m range, which for me is 45-60 minutes of swimming (not counting recovery, etc.) It actually hasn't changed much from when I was coaching myself to having a coach. I generally swim 3X a week; occasionally 4 but one would be a recovery swim after a hard ride or run. I think it's useful as "free" cardio--I do see carryover to running from it--as well as aiding in recovery from riding and running. Plus I like to swim--I know that's unusual for a triathlete! A workout usually includes a warmup, some drills focusing on my areas of weakness (bilateral breathing, rotation, and sets that focus on either strength, speed, or race pace endurance, and cool-down. Before I had the coach, I took a lot of my workouts from Sara McLarty's website, which usually has one workout focusing on technique, one on strength/speed, and one on endurance. I think nearly everyone would benefit from work on form. I've been swimming since I was a baby and doing freestyle since age 5 or 6, but there are still things I need to work on. Basically, my stroke seems to be efficient for long distances and open water, but there are aspects of my form (and probably strength as well) that hold me back from increasing my top-end speed. That causes a problem in a big wave, when I tend to get stuck behind people who are going to swim a much slower average pace. Guessing this is why my average speed/100m is usually faster in a longer swim, like HIM, than in a shorter one! The field gets more spread out in a longer event and it's often easier to get out in the clear. Some of it also is just me--I'm really a "slow twitch" type and can hold a pretty fast pace for a long time when fit. But finding that extra gear for a sprint, or getting out quickly on the swim is very difficult.

Sorry you are having a slow time recovering; hope it speeds up for you!

Sara McClarty is from whom I took my swim clinic and with whom I will be getting coaching.  SHe and her partner are really good, the jury is still out on how good their student is !

2017-02-21 8:14 PM

Master
Northern IL

Careful with taking polls on something like drills for swimming. The thought process here is really more like prescription based. Drills are to work on, or really emphasize a particular part of the stroke that needs it. Also remember that the drill has to be done well too.

They don't necessarily enforce good form, but help to get or advance some aspect of it. What's emphasized in the drill has to be incorporated into the stroke when actually swimming. That's where the enforcement comes in. And it's not always necessary to do a drill to get the idea. Most things do come with just swimming, but while putting an emphasis on one aspect of the swim during that session (more distracts too much). So the entire swim session should have an emphasis on form and swimming well. Don't know if you've caught some of the main forum threads, but things like swim fast can be very good for development. Something that tends to not be appreciated as much as it should is that everything is built on form. There isn't really just going for a swim like there is with running or biking. The entire sessions will have form front and center. It's never really put into the background.

Do consider coaching or lessons at times. I know it's not always affordable to keep up, but do try to keep an eye out for a deal or special. Maybe getting video somehow or other. Look for ways to get an outside perspective. Someone else's, seeing yourself somehow or other. Just trying to feel it completely on your own can be rather deceptive. I did like others with adult onset getting from 2'+/100 down to like 1:40 or so, but then after joining Masters I went all the way down to 1:12-116 or so per 100, leaving on 1:25-1:30. Not sprinting, but averaging that over 3,000-5,000 yd sets. On my own, just before signing up, I had done 20-25,000 yes per week over the summer with the same mindset and hardly moved from the 1:40ish/100. Masters started taking that right down with maybe half the volume. Do know that back in high school (while our teams weren't really that good) I still played in the #1 singles spot for tennis, handily lead everyone in the month long 3 pt competition in basketball, and was up for both team and conference MVP in soccer. Not to mention all kinds of other activities like some kayaking and XC skiing. I still very much needed that outside perspective to get a handle on what was really going on in swimming. The need to push doing it well is just so much greater than maybe anything else I've done.

2017-02-22 6:10 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

If you get a chance, stop by and see Janyne, she might appreciate some kind words.

2017-02-22 8:17 AM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Thanks for the heads up, Chris.
2017-02-22 9:00 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Originally posted by cdban66

If you get a chance, stop by and see Janyne, she might appreciate some kind words.

I just saw this. Sending Janyne, Kevin, and Zoe tons of hugs and positive thoughts!
2017-02-22 1:09 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cdban66

Thanks, Chris.  I'm so very sorry to read the news.

2017-02-23 9:08 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hi all. Tell me, is it worth buying bike shoes specifically for triathlons or just using my (expensive) regular ones. Bear in mind, speed is not really an issue with me.

2017-02-23 9:43 AM

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh

Hi all. Tell me, is it worth buying bike shoes specifically for triathlons or just using my (expensive) regular ones. Bear in mind, speed is not really an issue with me.

What's the closure system(?) like on your regular ones? I'm no expert but if you ask me as long as it doesn't take you a few minutes to get them on and off especially when you may be a little jittery mid-race I'd say there's no reason to buy another pair.
2017-02-23 10:34 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

My 2 cents - if you are going to be doing a lot of triathlons and planning on riding without socks, tri shoes might be a good idea but aren't mandatory.  I say this because my tri shoes get rather hogged up inside with water, mud, grass, etc from going sockless (which I usually do in Oly distance and under races) which I'd hate to do to my much more expensive road shoes. 

2017-02-23 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I never have. I have used my road shoes for all my tris. I wear socks and the closure is two velcro straps with one plastic thingamabob (gah, what is it called) like on ski boots ... not a big deal for me in transition. But then i am not shooting for the podium. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102