BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-02-23 1:24 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by ceilidh

Hi all. Tell me, is it worth buying bike shoes specifically for triathlons or just using my (expensive) regular ones. Bear in mind, speed is not really an issue with me.

I have tri shoes, but I use them for all my riding. I guess that may change if/when I start riding more than 60-70 miles, but for what I've done to date, they work nicely.  I like how airy -for lack of a better term, they are.  That allows my feet to dry quickly and it keeps my feet from getting too hot.  Being too hot is much more of an issue where I am than being to cold!  I don't know that they are enough of a time savor in transition than regular bike shoes, but YMMV!

2017-02-23 1:44 PM

Master
Northern IL

Hi all. Tell me, is it worth buying bike shoes specifically for triathlons or just using my (expensive) regular ones. Bear in mind, speed is not really an issue with me.

I've tried going with tri shoes, but was kind of meh on them. Never liked the feel as much as road shoes with socks. Closure system was velcro straps.

2017-02-23 7:22 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

I have tri shoes, but I use them for all my riding. I guess that may change if/when I start riding more than 60-70 miles, but for what I've done to date, they work nicely.  I like how airy -for lack of a better term, they are.  That allows my feet to dry quickly and it keeps my feet from getting too hot.  Being too hot is much more of an issue where I am than being to cold!  I don't know that they are enough of a time savor in transition than regular bike shoes, but YMMV!

I have tri shoes too, and wear them for all of my rides. I am not a fan of socks and I have never had any discomfort even on long distances, including my Ironman and the century rides I have done. They have one big valcro strap and a little valco tab to hold them open for T1.
2017-02-24 7:41 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Melon Presser

GO RACING MANATEES!!!

And we've still got an awfully long DL ... warm gentle healing {MELON PRESS} to all.

2017-02-24 8:18 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GO RACING MANATEES!!!

And we've still got an awfully long DL ... warm gentle healing {MELON PRESS} to all.

As Yanti mentioned, once again we have a longer DL than racers list.  We really need to put a stop to this!  I mean, the DL isn't even comprehensive because we have the Walking Wounded -- Ann-Marie, Mike, Yanti, Melanie -- who also need healing thoughts!

2017-02-24 8:23 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Speaking of healing thoughts, Zoe could use some,. As many of you know, Zoe was hit by a car on Tuesday afternoon.  I took her for a walk after work and when I bent down to pick up after her, she got away and ran into traffic.  She was at the veterinary hospital from Tuesday-Thursday and she was released last night. She is at home resting but it is clear that she is still quite painful. She woke up several times last night crying.  Her tail is dislocated/broken and very painful.  It is unclear if it will heal or not.  Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.  She can use all of the help and support that she can get.

2017-02-24 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Speaking of healing thoughts, Zoe could use some,. As many of you know, Zoe was hit by a car on Tuesday afternoon.  I took her for a walk after work and when I bent down to pick up after her, she got away and ran into traffic.  She was at the veterinary hospital from Tuesday-Thursday and she was released last night. She is at home resting but it is clear that she is still quite painful. She woke up several times last night crying.  Her tail is dislocated/broken and very painful.  It is unclear if it will heal or not.  Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.  She can use all of the help and support that she can get.

poor Zoe! This makes me sad. I will certainly keep sending her ( and you) healing thoughts!

2017-02-24 8:48 AM

User image

Zoe, and you and Kevin, has buckets healing thoughts headed your way from our furry kids and us as well!
2017-02-24 8:52 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Pennsylvania

GO RACING MANATEES!!!

Be speedy, manatees! And have fun out there, too!

Heal up DL-ers and the walking wounded!

2017-02-24 9:06 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatee!!!

February 25-26
Lisa - Antelope Canyon Ultra (Run) on Saturday

DL
Karen - under the weather
Janyne - recovering from stitches in right hand
Robin P - under the weather

2017-02-24 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatee!!!

February 25-26

DL

Go Lisa!!! I am jealous. Antelope Canyon looks like a beautiful venue!!! Float on top of the sand

DLers, heal up now ya' hear?

2017-02-24 1:20 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by Rileyvb91
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I ran 4 miles this weekend with my girlfriend, we're going to kick this year! Adjusting my diet last week and relaxing more during my workouts has really helped a ton. I just need to run easy everyday so that running becomes natural I've noticed when I go to the pool I see a lot of older triathletes, pretty obvious from swim caps and tattoos, really don't have good form. I see a lot of people just swim lap after lap. I'm curious where my other manatees put their swim focus on? I personally put swimming drills into all of my intervals to enforce good form, twisting kick and catch up really help me. I also swim back and breast every workout unless I'm doing OWS. I found really practicing good form lead meto some great times last year without putting in too much effort!

I'm so glad to hear you've found some reasons for feeling 'off' and are back on your way to regular training and feeling good.  Amazing how diet and stress can affect us!

As far as your swimming question, when I first started masters our coach had us doing a fair amount of drills to help with form and feeling the water - sculling, catch-up, fist, etc. which helped me improve a fair amount since I was never formally taught swim strokes beyond very basic freestyle and backstroke. (I spent a lot of my childhood in pools, oceans, lakes, etc. and was/am very confident in the water and had decent enough swimming skills, just nothing technical)  

Nowadays we have a new masters coach and he's been emphasizing other aspects of freestyle and we next to never do drills.  He emphasizes stroke rate, breathing, and good body position.  I don't know if I really answered your question or not.  Is there any way for you to take a few lessons with a coach who could help you with any form flaws and teach you drills, etc. to improve them?

That's awesome! I personally can't afford a coach so I went and studied proper swim form coupled with the kinesiology course I took in the fall to become a better swimmer. I find that those two drills really helps sets a good form for me so that when I'm doing freestyle I can focus on good arm movements, high elbows during the pull and recovery phase, making an s shape during my pull, never crossing the midline, taking good long strokes and pulling my arms with my back. I used to be such a slow swimmer but putting such an emphasis on form and having that routine has done wonders for me. I hope to be a competitive masters swimmer next winter if I chose not to be lazy and go that route
I'm another adult onset swimmer and have very slowly gone from around 2:00/100 to closer to 1:40/100. I've taken a couple private lessons over the years but I rarely drill when I swim solo which is 99% of my swims. I've found more time in the pool, watching a lot of online videos and picking out the good and bad of what people around me are doing has helped. I'm not sure I'll ever be a front pack swimmer but I enjoy the technique challenge and like others, I try and focus on no more than 2 things at a time when I swim. My next goal is to get someone to video me so all of you can tell me how uncoordinated and ridiculous I look!

This has been almost my exact story.  ^^^

2017-02-24 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

GO RACING MANATEES!!!

As Yanti mentioned, once again we have a longer DL than racers list.  We really need to put a stop to this!  I mean, the DL isn't even comprehensive because we have the Walking Wounded -- Ann-Marie, Mike, Yanti, Melanie -- who also need healing thoughts!

It's like a M*A*S*H unit around here. 

For your 20-somethings, that's short for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital.  There was a rather famous TV show  from the mid-70s to the early 80s, that you pretty much had to watch live in order to see it.  On network TV. 

2017-02-24 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Racing Manatee!!!

February 25-26

DL

Go Lisa!  How cool!!  Remember, RR or it didn't happen.    Have a great race!  Show those antelope how it's done.

DLers - get better (including our canine pod-mate Zoe).

Tri-shoes.  I use them through HIM (never done an IM, but imagine I might switch to my roadies for that - long time on the bike - but might not).  I have the Specialized S-works (said in the Sean Connery SNL Jeopardy, "I'll take 'swords' for a thousand" voice) "Pope shoes" from a few years back and really like them.  Not as stiff-soled as my road shoes but comfortable for long rides, and I have the hang of them for quick transitions in shorter ones.  And I don't like socks on the bike leg...

Hope y'all have a great weekend!  Any epic - or merely fun - stuff planned? 

We're hopefully getting out for our anniversary dinner tomorrow (multiple reasons we didn't go on Wednesday, the actual day), so that should be fun.  Sushi, baby!  Then back to more structured training next week, which I've missed this week (though enjoyed taking it easy after last weekend's somewhat challenging race - RR coming soon).

M

2017-02-24 4:23 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

GO RACING MANATEES!!!

For your 20-somethings, that's short for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital.  There was a rather famous TV show  from the mid-70s to the early 80s, that you pretty much had to watch live in order to see it.  On network TV. 

Go Lisa! And heal up Manatees on the DL. Special healing thoughts to Zoe.

I'm traveling currently in Greenville SC - excited to get a long run in on their greenway here tomorrow.
2017-02-24 5:01 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatee!!!

February 25-26

DL

Have a great race Lisa!

Heal up, feel better, stop hurting ... all the injured, sick, otherwise not well Manatees!

Special healing vibes to Zoe!!

2017-02-24 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatee!!!

February 25-26

DL

Go Lisa

And heal up everyone, including Zoe and all our other "walking wounded" who are working there way through various PT sessions each week.
2017-02-24 5:05 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Or you could move to Australia where you can currently watch 2 episodes every night of the year on free to air TV - yes that still exists.
2017-02-24 6:28 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My dad is addicted to MASH--drives my mom nuts. It's on our cable at home and (though it's not free), you get two episodes a week year-round.

I think getting better here. Last night was the first night in three weeks that I haven't awakened coughing/wheezing/gagging. I did wake up once but that is normal--probably the cats knocking around in the apartment. Did a strength session Thursday and felt okay. Still probably not up to running outside--my lungs are a bit twitchy after coughing for that long. Going to try an easy trainer ride and swim today.

Sad and happy news here--My 18 year (and 9 day) old odd-eyed white Angora kitty from China, Xiaoxue (Little Snow), who had lived with my parents since I left China when she was 5, died Thursday. Not unexpected--I could see when I was home at Christmas that she'd lost a lot of weight and guessed she didn't have much longer. XX was a real trooper--she lived for five years in China, including through the SARS epidemic, when the govt. was talking about hunting down and slaughtering pet cats (we had a plan to hide them in a basement storage unit), a four countries in one day odyssey to the States, being handled by probably every security agent at Tokyo Narita ("She looks like Hello Kitty!") and offered free tuna sushi, being driven over the US border, integrating with a hostile territorial kitty at her new home, and becoming Mom's best buddy for the rest of her life. RIP my Little Snow.

Happy--We had our league track and field championships yesterday and our kids kicked some serious butt. Had several of my middle distance runners in the top five (out of a huge field), some great sprinting, championships for both boys and girls in discus (first ever for our school), and, in the last event of the evening as the light was fading, our boys 4 X 100m relay team beat the long-time city champions by almost three seconds to take the title! Three of the boys are also students in my class. Definitely not taking all the credit (especially for sprinters and discus!) but very proud of them and their work ethic!

(20170224_180851.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20170224_180851.jpg (3204KB - 4 downloads)
2017-02-25 5:01 AM

User image

Racing Manatee!!!

February 25-26

DL

Good luck Lisa

DL'ers get better soon!
2017-02-25 5:21 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Hot Runner My dad is addicted to MASH--drives my mom nuts. It's on our cable at home and (though it's not free), you get two episodes a week year-round. I think getting better here. Last night was the first night in three weeks that I haven't awakened coughing/wheezing/gagging. I did wake up once but that is normal--probably the cats knocking around in the apartment. Did a strength session Thursday and felt okay. Still probably not up to running outside--my lungs are a bit twitchy after coughing for that long. Going to try an easy trainer ride and swim today. Sad and happy news here--My 18 year (and 9 day) old odd-eyed white Angora kitty from China, Xiaoxue (Little Snow), who had lived with my parents since I left China when she was 5, died Thursday. Not unexpected--I could see when I was home at Christmas that she'd lost a lot of weight and guessed she didn't have much longer. XX was a real trooper--she lived for five years in China, including through the SARS epidemic, when the govt. was talking about hunting down and slaughtering pet cats (we had a plan to hide them in a basement storage unit), a four countries in one day odyssey to the States, being handled by probably every security agent at Tokyo Narita ("She looks like Hello Kitty!") and offered free tuna sushi, being driven over the US border, integrating with a hostile territorial kitty at her new home, and becoming Mom's best buddy for the rest of her life. RIP my Little Snow. Happy--We had our league track and field championships yesterday and our kids kicked some serious butt. Had several of my middle distance runners in the top five (out of a huge field), some great sprinting, championships for both boys and girls in discus (first ever for our school), and, in the last event of the evening as the light was fading, our boys 4 X 100m relay team beat the long-time city champions by almost three seconds to take the title! Three of the boys are also students in my class. Definitely not taking all the credit (especially for sprinters and discus!) but very proud of them and their work ethic!

Let's see - in no order of importance...glad you're feeling better (keep taking it easy), sorry about the little kitty (sounds like a real trooper), and congratulations to your team and that is an AWESOME picture.

2017-02-25 5:21 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by tomsimper

Racing Manatee!!!

February 25-26

DL

Good luck Lisa DL'ers get better soon!

Good luck, Lisa!

2017-02-25 8:33 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by awm007

GO RACING MANATEES!!!

Go Lisa! And heal up Manatees on the DL. Special healing thoughts to Zoe. I'm traveling currently in Greenville SC - excited to get a long run in on their greenway here tomorrow.
That is where my half marathon is happening today.... if I was well enough to do it! The Swamp Rabbit Trail

2017-02-25 8:35 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner My dad is addicted to MASH--drives my mom nuts. It's on our cable at home and (though it's not free), you get two episodes a week year-round. I think getting better here. Last night was the first night in three weeks that I haven't awakened coughing/wheezing/gagging. I did wake up once but that is normal--probably the cats knocking around in the apartment. Did a strength session Thursday and felt okay. Still probably not up to running outside--my lungs are a bit twitchy after coughing for that long. Going to try an easy trainer ride and swim today. Sad and happy news here--My 18 year (and 9 day) old odd-eyed white Angora kitty from China, Xiaoxue (Little Snow), who had lived with my parents since I left China when she was 5, died Thursday. Not unexpected--I could see when I was home at Christmas that she'd lost a lot of weight and guessed she didn't have much longer. XX was a real trooper--she lived for five years in China, including through the SARS epidemic, when the govt. was talking about hunting down and slaughtering pet cats (we had a plan to hide them in a basement storage unit), a four countries in one day odyssey to the States, being handled by probably every security agent at Tokyo Narita ("She looks like Hello Kitty!") and offered free tuna sushi, being driven over the US border, integrating with a hostile territorial kitty at her new home, and becoming Mom's best buddy for the rest of her life. RIP my Little Snow. Happy--We had our league track and field championships yesterday and our kids kicked some serious butt. Had several of my middle distance runners in the top five (out of a huge field), some great sprinting, championships for both boys and girls in discus (first ever for our school), and, in the last event of the evening as the light was fading, our boys 4 X 100m relay team beat the long-time city champions by almost three seconds to take the title! Three of the boys are also students in my class. Definitely not taking all the credit (especially for sprinters and discus!) but very proud of them and their work ethic!
Expected or not, the loss is sad. Farewell Xiaoxue.  Congratulations on the great team accomplishments!

2017-02-26 2:40 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not at all tri-related, but I finally found a digital pic of Xiaoxue; attempting to attach. She was a beautiful kitty who met all of her life's many challenges with fluffy tail held high! Most cats are afraid of new experiences--this one never. I held her up with head out of her carrier to watch landing at the Vancouver airport and she seemed delighted; ditto for the whole ride to Oregon--looking out the car window the whole time. Once had to rescue her from a face-off with the neighbor's male cat, twice her size. She had show cat genes and the "love me, love my tail" attitude that goes with that, but the spirit of a street fighter.

(DSCN5329.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
DSCN5329.jpg (2617KB - 3 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102