BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-03-20 1:23 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by ceilidh

How did the racers do this weekend?

My experience was incredible, though not a race. There were a few fasties in shorty shorts running it but for most it was a march. When I joined my team they anticipated a 6 hour finish. I thought that sounded pretty good. As oft happens there was one person on the team who did not train. At. All. I wouldn't recommend that for any marathon but certainly not this one. 

So it turned in to a march. Which was a great opportunity to talk with the military and RWB people from all over the country (and one guy from Ireland). I got to shake hands (it was more of a hold hands for two seconds) with a Bataan survivor. 

There was a point at 22 miles in when we were going up a steep sandy arroyo (that's a river bed) for quite a while with no breeze. It got hot. I got light headed. I sat down a few times (so I wouldn't pass out and get DNFed) until it passed. Then I finished in a pain cave, trying to remind myself of what those marchers experienced 75 years ago.

(IMG_6132.JPG)

(IMG_6123.JPG)

(IMG_6141.JPG)

(IMG_6114.JPG)

(IMG_6135.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_6132.JPG (2203KB - 4 downloads)
IMG_6123.JPG (1633KB - 2 downloads)
IMG_6141.JPG (2131KB - 3 downloads)
IMG_6114.JPG (2316KB - 3 downloads)
IMG_6135.JPG (2184KB - 2 downloads)

2017-03-20 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It appears that rough conditions were the norm for racing Manatees this weekend.

TJ - Did you wear a pack for this one? IIRC, there was an event like this that you did last year with a heavy rucksack.

Janyne - Your weather looked miserable for your race, great job on a hard fought effort!

2017-03-20 2:07 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

It appears that rough conditions were the norm for racing Manatees this weekend.

TJ - Did you wear a pack for this one? IIRC, there was an event like this that you did last year with a heavy rucksack.

Janyne - Your weather looked miserable for your race, great job on a hard fought effort!

I wore only my hydration pack, not the 35 - 50 lbs that many of the marchers were wearing.

2017-03-20 2:26 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

My experience was incredible, though not a race. There were a few fasties in shorty shorts running it but for most it was a march. When I joined my team they anticipated a 6 hour finish. I thought that sounded pretty good. As oft happens there was one person on the team who did not train. At. All. I wouldn't recommend that for any marathon but certainly not this one. 

So it turned in to a march. Which was a great opportunity to talk with the military and RWB people from all over the country (and one guy from Ireland). I got to shake hands (it was more of a hold hands for two seconds) with a Bataan survivor. 

There was a point at 22 miles in when we were going up a steep sandy arroyo (that's a river bed) for quite a while with no breeze. It got hot. I got light headed. I sat down a few times (so I wouldn't pass out and get DNFed) until it passed. Then I finished in a pain cave, trying to remind myself of what those marchers experienced 75 years ago.

Wow, what a moving event, made even more like the march 75 years ago by the untrained teammate.  Way to smartly find ways to keep yourself together to not get DNFed and be able to finish.

2017-03-20 3:17 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow, congratulations! Sounds like an epic race made even more epic by your helpful team mate Glad you were smart and took the breaks you needed to make it through.  

2017-03-20 3:49 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Great pics! Looks like an awesome and tough event. Congrats on crossing that finish line.

2017-03-21 10:25 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Pennsylvania

Exciting news, of sorts!  Starting next week, hopefully, I can start 'running' again!  Why 'running', with quotes?  Because it will be on the Alter-G treadmill, inside, and with a good deal of body weight taken off to help my Achilles get used to running again without the extra stress and pounding.  

• Reduce gravity’s impact by selecting any weight between 20% and 100% of your body weight by 1% increments
  • Rehabilitate lower extremity injuries with less pain and less impact
  • Train without pain and reduce the stress to joints and muscles
    • Push your training sessions further and longer with less risk of injury.
    • Maintain and develop fitness while rehabilitating from injury or surgery.
    • Easily track progress during training and rehabilitation with precise unweighting.
    • Potentially return to competition sooner.

I will likely learn more about when I'll be getting scheduled for a session on it tomorrow at my next PT appointment.  I hope insurance helps pick up some of the tab, but I'm also glad to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

2017-03-21 11:59 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Exciting news, of sorts!  Starting next week, hopefully, I can start 'running' again!  Why 'running', with quotes?  Because it will be on the Alter-G treadmill, inside, and with a good deal of body weight taken off to help my Achilles get used to running again without the extra stress and pounding.  

• Reduce gravity’s impact by selecting any weight between 20% and 100% of your body weight by 1% increments
    • Easily track progress during training and rehabilitation with precise unweighting.

I will likely learn more about when I'll be getting scheduled for a session on it tomorrow at my next PT appointment.  I hope insurance helps pick up some of the tab, but I'm also glad to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

How cool is that!? I'm happy you see the light!

2017-03-21 3:06 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

TJ, that event sounds humbling...completely humbling in both the difficulty of the terrain and the emotions of running marching with so many military members.  AMAZING.

Mel, I hope the insurance covers the Alter G for you!  That sounds really good!

Janyne, you are one tough cookie to finish.  I know some who DNF'd the marathon cause of the weather.

2017-03-21 4:56 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

What an amazing experience! So glad you toughed it out.

2017-03-21 4:58 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

How cool is that!? I'm happy you see the light!

x2 on that. What a great device.

2017-03-22 5:28 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Happy for you, but just sayin', that girl looks way too happy for someone on a dreadmill!
2017-03-22 9:29 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Happy for you, but just sayin', that girl looks way too happy for someone on a dreadmill!

It must be photo shopped!

2017-03-22 11:06 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Happy for you, but just sayin', that girl looks way too happy for someone on a dreadmill!

I thought that myself!  Very obviously NOT a picture of me - I'd be sweaty, disheveled, probably not smiling, and gasping for air.  I guess in this circumstance I can make myself tolerate a treadmill.  Some running > no running.  I hope they have fans...I forget if they do or not (I got to demo the Alter-G a few years ago).

2017-03-24 8:02 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Any racers this weekend?

2017-03-24 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've heard good things about the Alter-G.  I have also heard that it's super sweaty so dress appropriately :-D

2017-03-24 9:12 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Janyne, you are one tough cookie to finish.  I know some who DNF'd the marathon cause of the weather.

38, rain, sleet, 25mph wind, offshore gale warning.  Who would thing that would be challenging? 

Seriously, I thought they said that 2000 people registered. My results say 1222 finished.  While I really wanted to be at least two minutes faster, I'm OK with how I did. I've done a lot of races with two or three laps on the run and I've never had an issue with it.  I've always been, "Woo hoo!  Already half way done!"  On this course, we passed my hotel at about mile 12.  I was like, I could just stop now.  Then at about mile 16 we passed a first aid station with heat.  I eyed that sucker a few seconds too long. 

2017-03-24 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

What an event, TJ!  So impressive!  I talked you up at the Shamrock expo.  There was a table for the "Bantaan Death March" in Maryland (or some other east coast location but I think MD).  I said that I knew someone who was partipating in the New Mexico one and they were impressed.  Good work!

2017-03-24 9:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

What an event, TJ!  So impressive!  I talked you up at the Shamrock expo.  There was a table for the "Bantaan Death March" in Maryland (or some other east coast location but I think MD).  I said that I knew someone who was partipating in the New Mexico one and they were impressed.  Good work!

Funny, I was talking about you as well. I talked with RWB people from all over the country and one couple was from Virginia Beach. I told them I have a friend doing the Shamrock and we talked about that for a bit.

Edited by rrrunner 2017-03-24 9:35 AM
2017-03-24 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

March 25-26
Tom A - ORRRC Splash n Dash #3 on Sunday

Disabled List
Chris - under the weather
Robin P - recovering from Mhos surgery

Reminder:  Please post your races or events in your training blog -- either in the dashboard info at the top (use the Edit Dashboard option) or as races on the right.  It is super awesome if you can add your stuff to races! (I'm looking' at you, Riley!)

2017-03-24 11:32 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

I've heard good things about the Alter-G.  I have also heard that it's super sweaty so dress appropriately :-D

A friend of mine came back well from a hip fracture using these.

2017-03-24 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

38, rain, sleet, 25mph wind, offshore gale warning.  Who would thing that would be challenging? 

Seriously, I thought they said that 2000 people registered. My results say 1222 finished.  While I really wanted to be at least two minutes faster, I'm OK with how I did. I've done a lot of races with two or three laps on the run and I've never had an issue with it.  I've always been, "Woo hoo!  Already half way done!"  On this course, we passed my hotel at about mile 12.  I was like, I could just stop now.  Then at about mile 16 we passed a first aid station with heat.  I eyed that sucker a few seconds too long. 

I would have curled up in the aid station with heat and not moved. But I am a wuss and you are badass!

2017-03-24 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

That doesn't sound the least bit challenging

2017-03-24 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

March 25-26

Disabled List

Reminder:  Please post your races or events in your training blog -- either in the dashboard info at the top (use the Edit Dashboard option) or as races on the right.  It is super awesome if you can add your stuff to races! (I'm looking' at you, Riley!)

Have a great race Tom!

Feel better Cris and Robin.

2017-03-24 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

March 25-26

Disabled List

Go TOM!!!!!!!!!

Heal up Chris and Robin.

Hands it's great to see your improvements too!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102