BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-05-19 8:17 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by jmkizer

Question for the group: Last fall I decided to get a smart trainer *or* power.  I went with power.  My "dumb" trainer was acting up last night. Kevin has a Wahoo Kickr that he is willing to share but I think that you need to calibrate these trainers to each user? With a smart trainer does it matter as much how "tight" you set the resistance on the wheel when you mount your bike?  Since the Kickr does power and the PowerTap does power, would I need to get them in sync or what? ETA: Would calibration just be a spin down between riders?

TL;DR - Can you/should you calibrate Wahoo Kickr Snap between two riders? What smart trainer do you have and would you recommend it?

Resistance changes should be more predictable by going through the calibration process, but would think you could get by without since you have the powermeter on the bike. You'd know what you're putting out because of that. I'm guessing you would prefer things to be more predictable though. The cal wouldn't necessarily stay the same every time, so you may have to relearn how much to tweak the settings each ride.

2017-05-19 8:25 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Question for the group: Last fall I decided to get a smart trainer *or* power.  I went with power.  My "dumb" trainer was acting up last night. Kevin has a Wahoo Kickr that he is willing to share but I think that you need to calibrate these trainers to each user? With a smart trainer does it matter as much how "tight" you set the resistance on the wheel when you mount your bike?  Since the Kickr does power and the PowerTap does power, would I need to get them in sync or what? ETA: Would calibration just be a spin down between riders?

TL;DR - Can you/should you calibrate Wahoo Kickr Snap between two riders? What smart trainer do you have and would you recommend it?

As you know, I recently got a smart trainer and have been going through growing pains getting it all set up, somtake this with a grain of salt- you have to calibrate the trainer for each bike. You do that-at least for Tracx trainers, by spinning up to a certain mph and then letting the tire slow on its own. The app you do that in will tell you if the tire needs more or less resistance.  So, I'd think as you move your bikes on and off, you'd have to recalibrate to make sure the resistance is right. 

OK, so a spin down when we change bikes. 

2017-05-19 8:26 AM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Rileyvb91

Originally posted by TXTriRook Checking back in, glad to see/hear everyone's doing well! I just read a great article on Zone 3 running which describes me to a tea. I really struggle with running below Z3 because it feels like I need to basically walk/speedwalk to keep the HR where it needs to be. I'm sure I'm not alone so happy reading! https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/training-in-the-grey-zone-how-to-...

Thanks for the link!

Was a great read! I've been doing a lot of easy running and it sure has payed off

It is a good read. Gives some nice reasons for why we go faster and easier. It's not simply trying to create as much stress, but to trigger adaptations. The easy days need to be easy enough even if things would feel fine going faster. The hard days are more by design and are quite a bit faster. The table in the link jumps past Z3 for these, going all the way to Z4/5. That looks much like what I've been doing. The slowest hard days I do are still at least 1:30/mi faster than the fastest easy days. It's generally more like 1:45-2:00/mi faster. Yesterday's intervals had even bigger gaps as they push up into Z5.

2017-05-19 9:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

As you know, I recently got a smart trainer and have been going through growing pains getting it all set up, somtake this with a grain of salt- you have to calibrate the trainer for each bike. You do that-at least for Tracx trainers, by spinning up to a certain mph and then letting the tire slow on its own. The app you do that in will tell you if the tire needs more or less resistance.  So, I'd think as you move your bikes on and off, you'd have to recalibrate to make sure the resistance is right. 

OK, so a spin down when we change bikes. 

Proof of live here! Had an International distance race about 3 weeks ago, went home and packed to immediately go to Orlando for a week for conference and Disney/Universal. I've been digging out ever since and am way behind on the forum.

To answer your question, I have the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine smart trainer (https://www.kurtkinetic.com/trainers-products/kinetic-road-machine-smart) ~$400. I rather like it. I don't calibrate it every time but I will if it's been a while since my last ride. I used to think it didn't matter that much, but the other day I ignored it's message to tighten my roller and found that it was badly over-estimating my speed and power. Not I do it about once a week.

I rather like it. It has several programs of varying intensity and length and syncs automatically or manually with Strava. The price wasn't too terrible and support has been good when I've had issues (e.g., after taking out of storage for a few months).

Edited by awm007 2017-05-19 9:29 AM
2017-05-19 10:21 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TXTriRook Checking back in, glad to see/hear everyone's doing well! I just read a great article on Zone 3 running which describes me to a tea. I really struggle with running below Z3 because it feels like I need to basically walk/speedwalk to keep the HR where it needs to be. I'm sure I'm not alone so happy reading! https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/training-in-the-grey-zone-how-to-...

Thanks for the link!

Was a great read! I've been doing a lot of easy running and it sure has payed off

It is a good read. Gives some nice reasons for why we go faster and easier. It's not simply trying to create as much stress, but to trigger adaptations. The easy days need to be easy enough even if things would feel fine going faster. The hard days are more by design and are quite a bit faster. The table in the link jumps past Z3 for these, going all the way to Z4/5. That looks much like what I've been doing. The slowest hard days I do are still at least 1:30/mi faster than the fastest easy days. It's generally more like 1:45-2:00/mi faster. Yesterday's intervals had even bigger gaps as they push up into Z5.

What are your Z4/5 vs Z2 paces? Maybe I just need more practice but I find if I can run around 7 min/mile in Zone 4 running 8:45 - 9 to stay in Z2 feels like a fast walk/so unnatural to me.
2017-05-19 12:02 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Thanks for the link!

What are your Z4/5 vs Z2 paces? Maybe I just need more practice but I find if I can run around 7 min/mile in Zone 4 running 8:45 - 9 to stay in Z2 feels like a fast walk/so unnatural to me.

I use zones less, looking more at what I'm trying to stress, though it still works out close for these purposes. Currently, easier runs are something like 8:15-8:40, really wanting to stay behind 8:00. Threshold work has been around 6:15-6:30. VO2max should be under 6, and have been going 5:35-5:45 for those.

I've had trouble with going too fast in the past too. It helps to understand & remember that I'm not trying to push every aspect of running all the time, it's not just creating a larger amount of stress, but applying stress to various aspects to build up something bigger. For example, if you note the part about energy sources changing as intensity increases, you can't stress that lower energy source by going harder as the body will start to utilize something else. You have to do more to work that part more. Harder would apply more stress in general, but would change where it's targeted.

For much of the easy running, I'll finish feeling really good. Often like I hardly did anything. This is where trust & confidence come in. Not towards powering through everything, but in the plan. I don't need to (and it's better not to) beat myself up everyday, or that often at all.

With that little extra effort I've liked the feeling of opening things up a little more in how my stride feels more full and that effort makes it feel like I did something, but I've liked continuing to get faster even more. The hard days for really moving along have become much more predictable and go a lot better. Progress has also been very nice too.

2017-05-19 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 20-21
Robin NC - Save the Manatee Run
Janyne -  Save the Manatee dog walk
Melanie - Got the Nerve? Triathlon on Saturday
Mike - Church Creek Time Trial on Saturday
Robin K - Erie half marathon on Sunday (maybe, pending ankle)

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Robin K - ankle
Tom S. - shoulder

Welcome, Blanda!

2017-05-19 1:24 PM

User image

I use zones less, looking more at what I'm trying to stress, though it still works out close for these purposes. Currently, easier runs are something like 8:15-8:40, really wanting to stay behind 8:00. Threshold work has been around 6:15-6:30. VO2max should be under 6, and have been going 5:35-5:45 for those.

I've had trouble with going too fast in the past too. It helps to understand & remember that I'm not trying to push every aspect of running all the time, it's not just creating a larger amount of stress, but applying stress to various aspects to build up something bigger. For example, if you note the part about energy sources changing as intensity increases, you can't stress that lower energy source by going harder as the body will start to utilize something else. You have to do more to work that part more. Harder would apply more stress in general, but would change where it's targeted.

For much of the easy running, I'll finish feeling really good. Often like I hardly did anything. This is where trust & confidence come in. Not towards powering through everything, but in the plan. I don't need to (and it's better not to) beat myself up everyday, or that often at all.

With that little extra effort I've liked the feeling of opening things up a little more in how my stride feels more full and that effort makes it feel like I did something, but I've liked continuing to get faster even more. The hard days for really moving along have become much more predictable and go a lot better. Progress has also been very nice too.

Great feedback, thank you! Progress is something I've been lacking but looking for.
2017-05-19 2:34 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

May 20-21

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Robin K - ankle
Tom S. - shoulder

Welcome, Blanda!

Go racers!  Go manatee savers!  Go me!

Heal up, DLers!

2017-05-19 3:15 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook What are your Z4/5 vs Z2 paces? Maybe I just need more practice but I find if I can run around 7 min/mile in Zone 4 running 8:45 - 9 to stay in Z2 feels like a fast walk/so unnatural to me.

Great feedback, thank you! Progress is something I've been lacking but looking for.

Oh, and the paces I listed are based on VDOT tables, so not random or necessarily best efforts of the day. They don't quite match right up as I think my profile is a little steeper than what's in their model.

Edited by brigby1 2017-05-19 3:16 PM
2017-05-19 3:58 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois

Racing Manatees!!!

May 20-21

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Robin K - ankle
Tom S. - shoulder

Welcome, Blanda!

Good luck Racers!!! Have a great weekend.

2017-05-19 10:53 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

May 20-21

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Robin K - ankle
Tom S. - shoulder

Welcome, Blanda!

Good luck racers!!

My race has been cancelled because of flooding. It's been snowing and raining since Wednesday night here in the Denver area. The town my race was supposed to be closed the trails because of severe flooding. I guess they didn't want to require wet suits and lifeguards. As for my ankle, well, I'm about over ankles at this point.
2017-05-20 3:06 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

May 20-21

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Robin K - ankle
Tom S. - shoulder

Welcome, Blanda!

Good luck racers, stay safe and have fun!

Speedy recovery fellow DL's
2017-05-20 6:50 AM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

Master
Thank you for the welcome! I will def log my workouts. I hope all of you on the injured list heal up real quick to get back to training and racing.

I still haven't gotten back in the water to swim. I pinky swear next week. I'll have two months to train for the Guam National Olympic Tri.

Tomorrow morning I'll be "racing" our Guam National Mountain Bike race. Racing in quotes because I'll be focusing on not getting hurt while my husband is deployed.

It's a short but tough and technical one with a couple sketchy descents. Limbs over podium in this one.

Hope you're all having a super weekend! Happy training and speedy healing!
2017-05-20 6:54 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Originally posted by Blanda

Thank you for the welcome! I will def log my workouts. I hope all of you on the injured list heal up real quick to get back to training and racing.

I still haven't gotten back in the water to swim. I pinky swear next week. I'll have two months to train for the Guam National Olympic Tri.

Tomorrow morning I'll be "racing" our Guam National Mountain Bike race. Racing in quotes because I'll be focusing on not getting hurt while my husband is deployed.

It's a short but tough and technical one with a couple sketchy descents. Limbs over podium in this one.

Hope you're all having a super weekend! Happy training and speedy healing!

Good luck tomorrow and stay safe
2017-05-20 7:32 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not a race this weekend (I'm not racing until June 25) but I just entered one of my bucket list races--Challenge Wanaka (the half) in New Zealand. It's advertised as "World's Most Beautiful Triathlon" and that might be true. We visited Wanaka years ago (before I got into tri) and I did some running around the lake. Ever since I started thinking about my first HIM, I have been waiting/hoping for this race to fall during our Tet break at school. (Both are usually sometime in February, but Tet follows the lunar calendar, so it varies by 3-4 weeks year to year, plus the length of our break varies.) This year, it works out....I'm off from February 10-20, and the race is on the 17th, so assuming I book my flights early (it gets booked up early out of/into Vietnam) it looks doable to get there and back and even enjoy the trip without crazy travel heroics. Yeah!

2017-05-21 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Blanda Thank you for the welcome! I will def log my workouts. I hope all of you on the injured list heal up real quick to get back to training and racing. I still haven't gotten back in the water to swim. I pinky swear next week. I'll have two months to train for the Guam National Olympic Tri. Tomorrow morning I'll be "racing" our Guam National Mountain Bike race. Racing in quotes because I'll be focusing on not getting hurt while my husband is deployed. It's a short but tough and technical one with a couple sketchy descents. Limbs over podium in this one. Hope you're all having a super weekend! Happy training and speedy healing!

I can't wait to hear about it!

2017-05-21 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Talk to me about budget-friendly rear-mounted hydration. I'm looking to add a bottle behind the saddle but don't want to break the bank doing so (or lose the bottle on the course). Thanks!

2017-05-21 10:04 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not a race this weekend (I'm not racing until June 25) but I just entered one of my bucket list races--Challenge Wanaka (the half) in New Zealand. It's advertised as "World's Most Beautiful Triathlon" and that might be true. We visited Wanaka years ago (before I got into tri) and I did some running around the lake. Ever since I started thinking about my first HIM, I have been waiting/hoping for this race to fall during our Tet break at school. (Both are usually sometime in February, but Tet follows the lunar calendar, so it varies by 3-4 weeks year to year, plus the length of our break varies.) This year, it works out....I'm off from February 10-20, and the race is on the 17th, so assuming I book my flights early (it gets booked up early out of/into Vietnam) it looks doable to get there and back and even enjoy the trip without crazy travel heroics. Yeah!

It's nice that the planets aligned for you!

2017-05-21 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Talk to me about budget-friendly rear-mounted hydration. I'm looking to add a bottle behind the saddle but don't want to break the bank doing so (or lose the bottle on the course). Thanks!

i have 2 cages mounted off the back, but I don't really like them too much as being short it can be hard to get my legs over!! I do have the cages tilted to make it easier.  

My issue is I'd like between the aero bars hydration, but my bars are so narrow that the Profile design system didn't work! I've also tried a DIY system without luck. So, I'm still on the hunt!

2017-05-21 7:00 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

i have 2 cages mounted off the back, but I don't really like them too much as being short it can be hard to get my legs over!! I do have the cages tilted to make it easier.  

My issue is I'd like between the aero bars hydration, but my bars are so narrow that the Profile design system didn't work! I've also tried a DIY system without luck. So, I'm still on the hunt!

I have the same problem getting my leg over the water bottle in the back. I have a double XLab Gorilla cage and nothing falls out of it! I use it for my Mezzo Cage Pod that hold my tubes, CO2, and levers. The other cage sits empty for 70.3 races.

I have trouble gripping water bottles and always drop them. There for a get laughed at a lot with my Speedfil Hydration System mounted to my frame and my XLab torpedo mounted between my aerobars. Yes that means two straws but I don't care. I hold them together with a hair tie so they're no problem. We moved my seat forward so not the straws hit me in the nose when I'm in aero. It's a great reminder to drink more!

2017-05-21 7:27 PM
in reply to: #5220825

User image

Master
Well, I won the MTB national champs for the women. I hadn't planned on racing, but the course gave me no other option. You're pretty much flying down and climbing up. Not much in between. I detest walking my bike uphill so I my goal was to climb until started tipping over or I lost traction. Was able to stay on my bike for most of climbs.

Pretty satisfying. My fitness is much improved and I had been mountain biking quite a bit for race I did a couple weeks ago. My handling skills have been sharpened.

Great race even though I hadn't really wanted to do it. I had even deleted the email with all the reg info. Took a couple training partners to talk me into it.

Hope your weekend is going well and training has been solid!
2017-05-21 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Blanda Well, I won the MTB national champs for the women. I hadn't planned on racing, but the course gave me no other option. You're pretty much flying down and climbing up. Not much in between. I detest walking my bike uphill so I my goal was to climb until started tipping over or I lost traction. Was able to stay on my bike for most of climbs. Pretty satisfying. My fitness is much improved and I had been mountain biking quite a bit for race I did a couple weeks ago. My handling skills have been sharpened. Great race even though I hadn't really wanted to do it. I had even deleted the email with all the reg info. Took a couple training partners to talk me into it. Hope your weekend is going well and training has been solid!

Congratulations!

2017-05-21 9:57 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by fortissimo

I have the same problem getting my leg over the water bottle in the back. I have a double XLab Gorilla cage and nothing falls out of it! I use it for my Mezzo Cage Pod that hold my tubes, CO2, and levers. The other cage sits empty for 70.3 races. I have trouble gripping water bottles and always drop them. There for a get laughed at a lot with my Speedfil Hydration System mounted to my frame and my XLab torpedo mounted between my aerobars. Yes that means two straws but I don't care. I hold them together with a hair tie so they're no problem. We moved my seat forward so not the straws hit me in the nose when I'm in aero. It's a great reminder to drink more!

I'm not short and it was a little difficult to get on the bike with the double for me too. Saddle height will scale up or down with the individual.

Wish I had a suggestion, but it's been a few years since I've looked at something. Even since having the Dash saddle with the built in mount. I only used it for repairs storage. It was simple, it worked better than others, but was the opposite of budget friendly! 

2017-05-22 7:57 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by fortissimo

I have the same problem getting my leg over the water bottle in the back. I have a double XLab Gorilla cage and nothing falls out of it! I use it for my Mezzo Cage Pod that hold my tubes, CO2, and levers. The other cage sits empty for 70.3 races. I have trouble gripping water bottles and always drop them. There for a get laughed at a lot with my Speedfil Hydration System mounted to my frame and my XLab torpedo mounted between my aerobars. Yes that means two straws but I don't care. I hold them together with a hair tie so they're no problem. We moved my seat forward so not the straws hit me in the nose when I'm in aero. It's a great reminder to drink more!

I'm not short and it was a little difficult to get on the bike with the double for me too. Saddle height will scale up or down with the individual.

Wish I had a suggestion, but it's been a few years since I've looked at something. Even since having the Dash saddle with the built in mount. I only used it for repairs storage. It was simple, it worked better than others, but was the opposite of budget friendly! 

It appear height isn't the issue with the rear cages. I have to tip my bike over at an extreme angle to get my leg over the cages too. I do use Camelbak water bottles with the loops around the top. I am able to control them a little better, because I'm grabbing them by the loop instead of the bottle. Otherwise, I am the guy who always drops his bottle in traffic (I haven't hurt anyone yet, to my knowledge).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102