BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-06-16 8:51 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

June 17-18
Ann-Marie - Mack Cycle Trilogy Series Triathlon on Sunday

Disabled List
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Safe travels to Lisa!

Congrats to Blanda on getting a swim in! 

Wait, what, how can I be the only one racing?!  And my race is more like hanging out with my sister for a bit! Oh well, GO ME (and sis)!!

Feel better Tom S and Mike.

Congrats to Lisa and Blanda and their 2 totally different, but still big, things 

2017-06-16 8:55 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

June 17-18

Disabled List
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Safe travels to Lisa!

Wait, what, how can I be the only one racing?!  And my race is more like hanging out with my sister for a bit! Oh well, GO ME (and sis)!!

Congrats to Lisa and Blanda and their 2 totally different, but still big, things 

Good luck Anne-Marie! Representing the manatees on your own this week!
2017-06-16 10:37 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Racing Manatees!!!

June 17-18

Disabled List
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Safe travels to Lisa!

Go Hands-Marie! Way to represent

2017-06-16 10:40 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I don't post too often but can I ask what happened to BT? Back 5-8 year ago when I was on this was a super active and great site, met some real life friends but now when I post no one responds, this site is bunked. Are there any good triathlon facebook groups that could serve better?

Riley, a few days ago I invited you to The Triathlon Collective on Facebook. I'm not sure that it's what you are looking for or not.  If anyone else wants and invitation, let me know. Ben and Yanti both post semi-regularlly and I read along when I can. I particularly enjoy the pictures of Fred's dog. Too bad Fred gets in them so often!  (ha! just kidding!)

I'm gonna tell Fred!!!

That's OK, Kingsley just insulted him in the FIRST LINE of a post. Well done!

2017-06-16 11:14 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I don't post too often but can I ask what happened to BT? Back 5-8 year ago when I was on this was a super active and great site, met some real life friends but now when I post no one responds, this site is bunked. Are there any good triathlon facebook groups that could serve better?

Riley, a few days ago I invited you to The Triathlon Collective on Facebook. I'm not sure that it's what you are looking for or not.  If anyone else wants and invitation, let me know. Ben and Yanti both post semi-regularlly and I read along when I can. I particularly enjoy the pictures of Fred's dog. Too bad Fred gets in them so often!  (ha! just kidding!)

I'm gonna tell Fred!!!

That's OK, Kingsley just insulted him in the FIRST LINE of a post. Well done!

That's like half the reasons for joining though!

2017-06-16 11:54 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hi.

P.O.L. post. I am alive. Just taking care of the cottage business with groundskeeping duties and housecleaner duties. (ick), hubbie with recovering rotator cuff2 surgery and driving my mom to her classes 3 x week. This coming week I fully intend to get back to some me-time and training time.

2017-06-16 11:55 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by awm007

Racing Manatees!!!

June 17-18

Disabled List
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Safe travels to Lisa!

Good luck Anne-Marie! Representing the manatees on your own this week!
Thanks for being there for us this week. Have a good race with your sister!

2017-06-16 12:48 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
Good Luck Ann-Marie

I did my first OWS in Lake Huron today. 54 F (F is for frickin cold, even in a wet suit). I was able to persevere for 16 minutes. I took about the same about of time in the shower to warm back to near normal body temp.
2017-06-16 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

June 17-18

Disabled List
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Safe travels to Lisa!

Go Hands & sister!!!

Get better Tom and Mike.

I am excited that I took over a minute off of my 1000 yards from the last time we timed it. Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble blow-drying their hair the day after a hard swim

2017-06-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

Racing Manatees!!!

June 17-18

Disabled List
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Safe travels to Lisa!

Go Hands & sister!!!

Get better Tom and Mike.

I am excited that I took over a minute off of my 1000 yards from the last time we timed it. Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble blow-drying their hair the day after a hard swim

Lol, with my upped swim volume my arms, shoulders and back are always sore.  Maybe we should just shave our heads!!

And, thanks!

Actually, thank you all for the Goes!! 

2017-06-16 3:05 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Good Luck Ann-Marie I did my first OWS in Lake Huron today. 54 F (F is for frickin cold, even in a wet suit). I was able to persevere for 16 minutes. I took about the same about of time in the shower to warm back to near normal body temp.

Holy Moly, I cannot comprehend that water temperature!! 

2017-06-16 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by JBacarella Good Luck Ann-Marie I did my first OWS in Lake Huron today. 54 F (F is for frickin cold, even in a wet suit). I was able to persevere for 16 minutes. I took about the same about of time in the shower to warm back to near normal body temp.

Holy Moly, I cannot comprehend that water temperature!! 

When I did Oceanside it was in the low 60's and that was bad enough. I had a neoprene cap and a wetsuit.

2017-06-16 4:13 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Originally posted by JBacarella

Good Luck Ann-Marie

I did my first OWS in Lake Huron today. 54 F (F is for frickin cold, even in a wet suit). I was able to persevere for 16 minutes. I took about the same about of time in the shower to warm back to near normal body temp.

The water temp for my 106 West Half was 50-53 depending on where you were in the lake and it hurt so bad! I got kicked in the calf and seriously thought my calf was going to shatter like glass. The 60 degree water in Oceanside felt like a warm bath in comparison, haha!
2017-06-16 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Quick note.  I'm very actively working to suppress the race bug I started to feel the last few days.  Hoping it passes... 

Been a couple years (!) since I've raced a tri (at least one that had a swim - Austin remains weird in every way), but the hassle:fun ratio seems to be tilting back to throwing in. 

Balancing the fun of racing with the fun of trying to improve (NOT the same things for me) and keeping everything else on track will be, ummmmm... interesting.  If I can't suppress the bug, that is. 

That is all.

Matt

Dont suppress it - JUST DO EEEEEITTTTT (Isn't that the Manatees creed?)

Seriously, we are low on racers...

Ha!  We'll see...  Actually did a continuous ~2,300 OWS yesterday and feel OK today, so the shoulder is there.  Also rode outside yesterday for the training ride outside in two or so years (James, you know why, sadly - sorry to hear about that).  Amazing the motivation a flat on the trainer provides... 

Might just succumb to the bug after all - but I'm traveling a TON the next couple months (two weeks in Spain then 2 weeks in MA then here 2 weeks and a week in San Diego - great, but not so great for training) and the fall, so I'm gonna play it by ear.

Good luck Anne-Marie!  Hope you have a great hang-out-y race. 

As for cold water, I was in Copenhagen a couple weeks back and decided to hop into the harbor in the middle of a run.  Not as bad as a winter dip in MA, but a whole lot colder than Barton Springs here!  (It was totally worth it, though!)

Leaving for Barcelona and Madrid Sunday, so I'll see you all on Strava.    When work calls... bring the family. Ha!

Matt

2017-06-17 4:06 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

June 17-18

Disabled List
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Safe travels to Lisa!

Good luck Ann-Marie,

Have a great weekend everybody! I'm good and did a nice 6k run this morning and indoor turbo yesterday so training again. So happy about that!
2017-06-17 5:18 AM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

Master
Good luck, Ann Marie!!

Swim motivation- Def a plus to swimming. I have put myself on a short break from hilly biking and running to rest the hammy, especially. Got in another swim today! Even took a couple minutes off my time from Wednesday's 1500 meters.

Happy Father's Day, Dads!!!

2017-06-17 8:46 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats! Enjoy the recovery benefits.... I know my body tends to become an achy mess if I can't get in the pool regularly.
2017-06-17 12:28 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by fortissimo
The water temp for my 106 West Half was 50-53 depending on where you were in the lake and it hurt so bad! I got kicked in the calf and seriously thought my calf was going to shatter like glass. The 60 degree water in Oceanside felt like a warm bath in comparison, haha!

I didn't realize so many of us had done Oceanside. It was in the high 50s when I did it and and my feet didn't un-numb until the 2nd half of the bike. Just as well because I had a huge and fairly deep cut in the sole of my foot from the swim exit ramp. That was fun on the run :P

I've been doing light training, slowly getting back into it as I cough less and have a little strength (and am getting some sleep sometimes). I don't wanna log it because I feel like I'm going to jinx myself ... as most of the longer-time Manatees know I've spent most of the last 8 years pretty ill and/or beat-up.

I never did stop coaching although I probably should have. Gotta roll in the ducats somehow.

2017-06-17 1:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by fortissimo

I didn't realize so many of us had done Oceanside. It was in the high 50s when I did it and and my feet didn't un-numb until the 2nd half of the bike. Just as well because I had a huge and fairly deep cut in the sole of my foot from the swim exit ramp. That was fun on the run :P

I've been doing light training, slowly getting back into it as I cough less and have a little strength (and am getting some sleep sometimes). I don't wanna log it because I feel like I'm going to jinx myself ... as most of the longer-time Manatees know I've spent most of the last 8 years pretty ill and/or beat-up.

I never did stop coaching although I probably should have. Gotta roll in the ducats somehow.

The air temp was only 45 and it was windy on race morning. I was so before the race I cried. Actually, I was crying because a guy yelled at me when I asked to borrow his bike pump and I didn't stop crying until I got in the water, haha. I warmed up a bit in the water but when I got out, I froze! I still had goose bumps at the end of the race and it was in the low 70s at that point.

I want to do this race again next year. I loved it! Well, not the screaming dude, but every thing else!

Edited by fortissimo 2017-06-17 2:05 PM
2017-06-18 6:23 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Congrats! Enjoy the recovery benefits.... I know my body tends to become an achy mess if I can't get in the pool regularly.

I do love how good my limbs feel after a swim!

Jayne, I'd love to be added to The Triathlon Collective on FB!

Oh my gosh, I had a hard time with Japan's 71F water, and I had a wetsuit on! I don't think I could handle any colder than that!

Matt, how do I find you on Strava? Who else is on there?

It's funny how getting two swims in has me looking forward to next month's Olympic Tri when a few weeks ago I wasn't sure I'd do it. I just hope my hamstring will feel good enough to get some running in before then.

Hope it's a great Sunday!
2017-06-19 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Blanda
Originally posted by Hot Runner Congrats! Enjoy the recovery benefits.... I know my body tends to become an achy mess if I can't get in the pool regularly.
I do love how good my limbs feel after a swim! Jayne, I'd love to be added to The Triathlon Collective on FB! Oh my gosh, I had a hard time with Japan's 71F water, and I had a wetsuit on! I don't think I could handle any colder than that! Matt, how do I find you on Strava? Who else is on there? It's funny how getting two swims in has me looking forward to next month's Olympic Tri when a few weeks ago I wasn't sure I'd do it. I just hope my hamstring will feel good enough to get some running in before then. Hope it's a great Sunday!

Blanda, you should be a part of the Manatee group on Strava now. A bunch of us are in there and if we've missed anyone, please let me or Janyne know and we'll be happy to add you.

2017-06-19 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Congrats! Enjoy the recovery benefits.... I know my body tends to become an achy mess if I can't get in the pool regularly.
I do love how good my limbs feel after a swim! Jayne, I'd love to be added to The Triathlon Collective on FB! Oh my gosh, I had a hard time with Japan's 71F water, and I had a wetsuit on! I don't think I could handle any colder than that! Matt, how do I find you on Strava? Who else is on there? It's funny how getting two swims in has me looking forward to next month's Olympic Tri when a few weeks ago I wasn't sure I'd do it. I just hope my hamstring will feel good enough to get some running in before then. Hope it's a great Sunday!

Blanda, I sent you a friend request on Faceobok and once we have that taken care of, I'll add you -- unless Yanti beats me to it!

We were remiss!  When you joined us, we didn't tell you that we have a Strava group -- https://www.strava.com/clubs/manatees.  Request to join and Chris or I will approve you. From there, you can see all of the Manatess on Strava and follow to your heart's content.

2017-06-19 9:28 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Blanda, you should be a part of the Manatee group on Strava now. A bunch of us are in there and if we've missed anyone, please let me or Janyne know and we'll be happy to add you.

Or else Chris will beat me to it and you'll be added like magic!

2017-06-19 10:24 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

I've barely swam the last few weeks and I feel like swimming in the puddle outside my house. Everything hurts just a little bit more without a few swims to loosen the body back up. My in laws are coming in today to help out with the kiddos so fingers crossed I can get back in there. I have a local Olympic tri in a few weeks with a trip to the beach in between so I need to get some miles in or else 1,500 may be extremely ugly.
2017-06-19 10:40 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook
I've barely swam the last few weeks and I feel like swimming in the puddle outside my house. Everything hurts just a little bit more without a few swims to loosen the body back up. My in laws are coming in today to help out with the kiddos so fingers crossed I can get back in there. I have a local Olympic tri in a few weeks with a trip to the beach in between so I need to get some miles in or else 1,500 may be extremely ugly.

Hope you make it to the pool ...or your puddle!

As much as I complain to myself about swimming, I do recognize that it is a good recovery for the bike and run. Plus, the more I swim the less i dislike it - at least to a point! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102