BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-02-26 5:51 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not at all tri-related, but I finally found a digital pic of Xiaoxue; attempting to attach. She was a beautiful kitty who met all of her life's many challenges with fluffy tail held high! Most cats are afraid of new experiences--this one never. I held her up with head out of her carrier to watch landing at the Vancouver airport and she seemed delighted; ditto for the whole ride to Oregon--looking out the car window the whole time. Once had to rescue her from a face-off with the neighbor's male cat, twice her size. She had show cat genes and the "love me, love my tail" attitude that goes with that, but the spirit of a street fighter.

How beautiful.

{{hugs}}

2017-02-26 6:03 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not at all tri-related, but I finally found a digital pic of Xiaoxue; attempting to attach. She was a beautiful kitty who met all of her life's many challenges with fluffy tail held high! Most cats are afraid of new experiences--this one never. I held her up with head out of her carrier to watch landing at the Vancouver airport and she seemed delighted; ditto for the whole ride to Oregon--looking out the car window the whole time. Once had to rescue her from a face-off with the neighbor's male cat, twice her size. She had show cat genes and the "love me, love my tail" attitude that goes with that, but the spirit of a street fighter.

She sounds like a fun cat! Sorry for you loss.

2017-02-26 9:19 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

What a beautiful adventure kitty!

2017-02-27 6:06 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
And in other news, our girls' 4 X 100m relay won the city championship as well. I apparently had very slow reflexes when I timed the other heat. (Results done by times, no heats/finals.; 12 teams total in two heats.) They didn't come in second by 0.4 seconds like I told them, they WON by 0.4 seconds. Official results delivered today--I stand corrected (and admit, my reflexes are awful)! Thank goodness we had a practice today so I could let them know.
2017-02-27 8:45 AM

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Not at all tri-related, but I finally found a digital pic of Xiaoxue; attempting to attach. She was a beautiful kitty who met all of her life's many challenges with fluffy tail held high! Most cats are afraid of new experiences--this one never. I held her up with head out of her carrier to watch landing at the Vancouver airport and she seemed delighted; ditto for the whole ride to Oregon--looking out the car window the whole time. Once had to rescue her from a face-off with the neighbor's male cat, twice her size. She had show cat genes and the "love me, love my tail" attitude that goes with that, but the spirit of a street fighter.

Aww, she was a beautiful cat! {{{hugs}}}
2017-02-27 9:38 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm sorry for the loss of your beautiful, sweet, adventurous kitty.  Thanks for sharing the pic of her and also of your track team - congrats to them!

2017-02-27 11:28 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Thank you all for the positive thoughts leading up to the race! It was AMAZING!!! 

Race report here if anyone wants to read about it.

My phone died 2 miles in so I only got a few pictures (they're in the RR), but it may have been for the best as I really needed to focus on getting through the wide variety of terrain. I was prepared mentally for the sand, but the rock/mountain climbing and "scrambling" was not on my radar so I had to mentally adapt and roll with it. 

I am only a little sore today, still babying blisters and an angry calf, but otherwise recovering nicely. 

2017-02-27 11:47 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Sorry to hear about all the sick/lost animals in the group. Not as much fun to read on a Monday morning as PR's and Podiums but hopefully we've reached the end of DL season, for 4 and 2 legged Mantee's! 2 things from my end.

1. Does anyone else have young kids? I have a 20 month old who is the worst sleeper on the planet. He consistently wakes up between 1 and 4 and is either wired and wants to watch Mickey Mouse, or is still exhausted and wants to come into bed with my wife and I only to take turns kicking/headbutting us. Last night with my pregnant wife not feeling well, I decided he was staying in his crib and from about 1 - 4 I alternated between holding his hand through the crib and telling him firmly that he can't see mommy or Mickey until the morning. I know I'm venting here but I'm completely exhausted and welcome any tips!

2. I watched the movie "Race" over the weekend. While I wouldn't say it's the best movie I've ever seen, after our group discussion on cadence I really appreciated the line that you're "not moving forward when you're in the air" (or something like that!). He was emphasizing that a fast cadence is what makes you faster, not longer strides, more height or anything else. Just thought I'd share.

2017-02-27 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by lisac957

Thank you all for the positive thoughts leading up to the race! It was AMAZING!!! 

My phone died 2 miles in so I only got a few pictures (they're in the RR), but it may have been for the best as I really needed to focus on getting through the wide variety of terrain. I was prepared mentally for the sand, but the rock/mountain climbing and "scrambling" was not on my radar so I had to mentally adapt and roll with it. 

I am only a little sore today, still babying blisters and an angry calf, but otherwise recovering nicely. 

Congratulations! 

2017-02-27 12:49 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

LOVED your report, thank you so much for writing it!  Fast healing on the blisters and calf, now relish your success! 

2017-02-27 1:18 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by TXTriRook Sorry to hear about all the sick/lost animals in the group. Not as much fun to read on a Monday morning as PR's and Podiums but hopefully we've reached the end of DL season, for 4 and 2 legged Mantee's! 2 things from my end. 1. Does anyone else have young kids? I have a 20 month old who is the worst sleeper on the planet. He consistently wakes up between 1 and 4 and is either wired and wants to watch Mickey Mouse, or is still exhausted and wants to come into bed with my wife and I only to take turns kicking/headbutting us. Last night with my pregnant wife not feeling well, I decided he was staying in his crib and from about 1 - 4 I alternated between holding his hand through the crib and telling him firmly that he can't see mommy or Mickey until the morning. I know I'm venting here but I'm completely exhausted and welcome any tips! 2. I watched the movie "Race" over the weekend. While I wouldn't say it's the best movie I've ever seen, after our group discussion on cadence I really appreciated the line that you're "not moving forward when you're in the air" (or something like that!). He was emphasizing that a fast cadence is what makes you faster, not longer strides, more height or anything else. Just thought I'd share.

I don't have small children, but I did about 25 years ago

When DS1 was a toddler he was diagnosed with a sleeping disorder that sounds much like what you are dealing with. The doctor's solution was much what you did, make him stay in his bed and gradually let him get used to not having you help him through it.  It's tough, especially when you want to get some sleep but it's best for everyone in the long run. YMMV. {{hugs}}

2017-02-27 3:25 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by awm007
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GO RACING MANATEES!!!

And we've still got an awfully long DL ... warm gentle healing {MELON PRESS} to all.

As Yanti mentioned, once again we have a longer DL than racers list.  We really need to put a stop to this!  I mean, the DL isn't even comprehensive because we have the Walking Wounded -- Ann-Marie, Mike, Yanti, Melanie -- who also need healing thoughts!

It's like a M*A*S*H unit around here. 

For your 20-somethings, that's short for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital.  There was a rather famous TV show  from the mid-70s to the early 80s, that you pretty much had to watch live in order to see it.  On network TV. 

Go Lisa! And heal up Manatees on the DL. Special healing thoughts to Zoe. I'm traveling currently in Greenville SC - excited to get a long run in on their greenway here tomorrow.
That is where my half marathon is happening today.... if I was well enough to do it! The Swamp Rabbit Trail

Wow - I caught the tail end of that half marathon when I went out for my run on the Swam Rabbit! Had no idea we could have had a manatee meet up!
2017-02-27 6:01 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Smithtown, New York
I went to Boston over the weekend for a couple parties with my girlfriend and family, had some nice rest and did some good balancing exercises yesterday

Thanks to 3 days rest I was able to lead my client to a bunch of medicine ball squats and throws, and I was able to bang out a solid 54' ride bricked with a 1.3 mile run. I feel good for another solid week!

Friday I have a job interview as a personal trainer with an alumni from my exercise science program so I gotta say la vita e' bella!
2017-02-27 8:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Lisa - congrats!  That's awesome and super impressive.  

OK, rant mode on (briefly).  My Garmin 920 still won't accurately count yards in OWS.  This is my second unit (they replaced first after a bunch of test swim files convinced them), but is no better.  Argh.

Aaaannnnddd... after a great start with Tapiriik, just today it decided to duplicate 90 odd workouts in Trianing Peaks and also on my BT log.  I deleted the TP ones, as that interface is fairly easy to work with (as in, to chat with family as I click and delete), but not BT - ugh.  Just a PSA of sorts to watch for random duplications with it (not all workouts and over a date range, but not all within that range - weird).  All were treadmill or trainer rides, though not all of my mill runs or trainer rides...

Well, on looking at those last two paragraphs, all I can think is that it's good to live in the first world.   

Matt

ETA - being compulsive and a data hawg, I just deleted all the doubles in BT.  Couldn't help myself!  Will advise on any future shenanigans around this...
M

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2017-02-27 9:14 PM
2017-02-27 9:21 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Matt, what is your 920 doing on the swim? Is it counting too many laps or not enough? Or does it have strange numbers?

My 910 didn't accurately count my laps because I don't push off the wall hard enough for it to register a new lap. It often under-counted. My 920 is more accurate but still will either under count. More often than not, however, it will over count if I'm doing some drills, such as 1-armed fly or sculling. It's weird.

This is my second 920. The altitude thingy broke on my first one. It said my last race was at something like 30,000-42000 feet and it was 200 degrees (I cant exactly remember the temp). It gave the Garmin rep a real chuckle when he had me give him the readings.
2017-02-27 9:24 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Has anyone read the article with some of the new IM rules? Am I reading this correctly that we can now take our phones on the course with us as long as we don't take selfies, listen to music, or make phone calls?

"With athlete safety in mind, we've amended the rule prohibiting the use of communication devices. The rule now prohibits athletes from using communication devices in any unsafe or distractive manner. We understand and appreciate how technology is evolving the sport of triathlon, however, the use of technology in any distractive manner is grounds for disqualification.  For example, a “distractive manner” could include, but is not limited to, making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, and taking photographs.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2017/02/know-the-rul...

2017-02-27 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by TXTriRook Sorry to hear about all the sick/lost animals in the group. Not as much fun to read on a Monday morning as PR's and Podiums but hopefully we've reached the end of DL season, for 4 and 2 legged Mantee's! 2 things from my end. 1. Does anyone else have young kids? I have a 20 month old who is the worst sleeper on the planet. He consistently wakes up between 1 and 4 and is either wired and wants to watch Mickey Mouse, or is still exhausted and wants to come into bed with my wife and I only to take turns kicking/headbutting us. Last night with my pregnant wife not feeling well, I decided he was staying in his crib and from about 1 - 4 I alternated between holding his hand through the crib and telling him firmly that he can't see mommy or Mickey until the morning. I know I'm venting here but I'm completely exhausted and welcome any tips! 2. I watched the movie "Race" over the weekend. While I wouldn't say it's the best movie I've ever seen, after our group discussion on cadence I really appreciated the line that you're "not moving forward when you're in the air" (or something like that!). He was emphasizing that a fast cadence is what makes you faster, not longer strides, more height or anything else. Just thought I'd share.

I don't have small children, but I did about 25 years ago

When DS1 was a toddler he was diagnosed with a sleeping disorder that sounds much like what you are dealing with. The doctor's solution was much what you did, make him stay in his bed and gradually let him get used to not having you help him through it.  It's tough, especially when you want to get some sleep but it's best for everyone in the long run. YMMV. {{hugs}}

So not my personal experience because I don't have kids but apparently my sister used to sleep in 3 hour segments during the night, with large gaps in between (until she was about 4). My mum's solution (at the Drs suggestion) was to put a night light in our room and leave quiet toys in her bed. When she woke up she was allowed to play quietly but she was not allowed out of bed, and if she woke the rest of us up (3 kids under 4) then she got in trouble. She would play and then lay down and go back to sleep when she was ready.

Edited by StaceyK 2017-02-27 9:31 PM
2017-02-28 5:34 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
LOL that is still my sleep pattern sometimes now! (Particularly with jet lag, PMS, or if I'm not training really hard.) My adult solution is a bedside light and book. Think I read somewhere it's better just to sit up and do something quiet (but not anything involving screens) until you feel sleepy again, rather than lie there and "count sheep" or stress that you're not sleeping. Also don't keep looking at a clock or watch and thinking, "OMG, I'm still not asleep and I have to get up in XXX."

As for first world problems, here is the third world version:

1. I can't upload because my Internet connection has, for about the tenth time this year, mysteriously disconnected itself. I run diagnostics and it says everything is fine, but it isn't. (Actually, this always seems to happen just before/during a long trainer ride.)

2. OWS would involve typhoid or similar, whether my Garmin would count it or not.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-02-28 5:38 AM
2017-02-28 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Once again, Big Congratulations!

2017-02-28 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I went to Boston over the weekend for a couple parties with my girlfriend and family, had some nice rest and did some good balancing exercises yesterday Thanks to 3 days rest I was able to lead my client to a bunch of medicine ball squats and throws, and I was able to bang out a solid 54' ride bricked with a 1.3 mile run. I feel good for another solid week! Friday I have a job interview as a personal trainer with an alumni from my exercise science program so I gotta say la vita e' bella!

Good stuff there!  I'm sure that the interview will go well :-D 

(edited to fix error.  One handed typing is for the birds!)

Edited by jmkizer 2017-02-28 7:15 AM
2017-02-28 7:23 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Lisa - congrats!  That's awesome and super impressive.  

OK, rant mode on (briefly).  My Garmin 920 still won't accurately count yards in OWS.  This is my second unit (they replaced first after a bunch of test swim files convinced them), but is no better.  Argh.

Aaaannnnddd... after a great start with Tapiriik, just today it decided to duplicate 90 odd workouts in Trianing Peaks and also on my BT log.  I deleted the TP ones, as that interface is fairly easy to work with (as in, to chat with family as I click and delete), but not BT - ugh.  Just a PSA of sorts to watch for random duplications with it (not all workouts and over a date range, but not all within that range - weird).  All were treadmill or trainer rides, though not all of my mill runs or trainer rides...

Well, on looking at those last two paragraphs, all I can think is that it's good to live in the first world.   

Matt

ETA - being compulsive and a data hawg, I just deleted all the doubles in BT.  Couldn't help myself!  Will advise on any future shenanigans around this...
M

Matt, double check the Tapiriik settings.  For me, I only have stuff in Garmin checked because I want Garmin >> Random Site.  I guess for you, Trainer Road >> BT.  Is BT going anywhere?  Is TR going anywhere else?  Was it only old stuff where you had maybe done a manual import?

2017-02-28 7:48 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook  2. I watched the movie "Race" over the weekend. While I wouldn't say it's the best movie I've ever seen, after our group discussion on cadence I really appreciated the line that you're "not moving forward when you're in the air" (or something like that!). He was emphasizing that a fast cadence is what makes you faster, not longer strides, more height or anything else. Just thought I'd share.

Was this the Jesse Owens one? Had a few hits for the name. Careful with those points as they're either off or start going too far. All fast runners are still moving forward when in the air. Owens being a champion long jumper too would especially disprove that as he clearly goes somewhere after reaching the launching block. It's that you stop going any faster once contact with the ground is gone because there is nothing to push against.

Faster cadence can be quite helpful, but it's not everything. The fastest steps taken will be in some knee, kick, cone, or square foot speed drills. But these also won't be anywhere near the fastest speed the athlete will reach because they aren't really getting anywhere with the steps. Keep working to be able to handle faster cadence, but still go with what gives the best output as there are several things working together.

2017-02-28 8:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Smithtown, New York

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I went to Boston over the weekend for a couple parties with my girlfriend and family, had some nice rest and did some good balancing exercises yesterday Thanks to 3 days rest I was able to lead my client to a bunch of medicine ball squats and throws, and I was able to bang out a solid 54' ride bricked with a 1.3 mile run. I feel good for another solid week! Friday I have a job interview as a personal trainer with an alumni from my exercise science program so I gotta say la vita e' bella!

I sure hope so too! My teache has been saying I've done an excellent job training my client at school, it's coming very naturally. One day soon I would love to start coaching for tri's and running as well as doing either PT or strength and conditioning!
2017-02-28 9:09 AM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Pennsylvania

Oooh, Boston, fun city!  It sounds like it was a nice change for you, too.  Good luck with your interview on Friday!

2017-02-28 9:10 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Picking up the Mary S/Foxy Tom/Chris slack...wouldn't that be one winged typing? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102