BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-03-27 11:38 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Happy Monday everyone! I've clearly missed a lot of group chatter but from what I gathered, I agree I would get a new helmet vs a used one if nothing else for the stench/sweat factor. As for coming to Worlds, that sounds awesome! I hope to be there one day myself. I went for my 1st outdoor ride of 2017 and after about 44 miles my neck/back are still killing me! I ride my roadie on my trainer and clearly forgot what a difference being in aero makes. The plan is to put my tri bike on the trainer so I can start getting used to the position.

2017-03-27 12:15 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Happy Monday everyone! I've clearly missed a lot of group chatter but from what I gathered, I agree I would get a new helmet vs a used one if nothing else for the stench/sweat factor. As for coming to Worlds, that sounds awesome! I hope to be there one day myself. I went for my 1st outdoor ride of 2017 and after about 44 miles my neck/back are still killing me! I ride my roadie on my trainer and clearly forgot what a difference being in aero makes. The plan is to put my tri bike on the trainer so I can start getting used to the position.

haha - that's EXACTLY how I realized that perhaps it might be time for a new helmet. 3 hours in aero made for a painful weekend. I hope practice and a new helmet make a big difference.
2017-03-27 12:16 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I am meeting with Coach Scott tomorrow to discuss how he plans to get me to Chattanooga ready to race. I saw him briefly on Friday but tomorrow we'll figure out what training while being semi-transient looks like. I think I'll take the tri bike with me, and use the roadie when I'm home. That means it'll also be the one I use for Lubbock.  Friday I asked him about joining masters (I saw one at CSUB) or a gym. He asked would I have pool access for more than just the masters classes. What?! Swim more than three times a week?!  

2017-03-27 1:02 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

I am meeting with Coach Scott tomorrow to discuss how he plans to get me to Chattanooga ready to race. I saw him briefly on Friday but tomorrow we'll figure out what training while being semi-transient looks like. I think I'll take the tri bike with me, and use the roadie when I'm home. That means it'll also be the one I use for Lubbock.  Friday I asked him about joining masters (I saw one at CSUB) or a gym. He asked would I have pool access for more than just the masters classes. What?! Swim more than three times a week?!  

I'm sure that the meeting will go well. It's not his first rodeo and he'll get you ready.  About the masters/gym thing, he may have been asking if you can use the masters time and do a Coach Scott workout. There may be some city pools that have lap swimming as well.

What I would do is see if you can get a day pass or something for masters a few times and also see if you can get a guest pass to the gym. It could be that one works out better for you than the other in terms of times, commute, pool quality, etc.

2017-03-27 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

No way!  Run and or bike more than 3x ok, but swim ...not happening!  Perhaps that's why swimming is the weakest link for me

2017-03-27 1:08 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook Happy Monday everyone! I've clearly missed a lot of group chatter but from what I gathered, I agree I would get a new helmet vs a used one if nothing else for the stench/sweat factor. As for coming to Worlds, that sounds awesome! I hope to be there one day myself. I went for my 1st outdoor ride of 2017 and after about 44 miles my neck/back are still killing me! I ride my roadie on my trainer and clearly forgot what a difference being in aero makes. The plan is to put my tri bike on the trainer so I can start getting used to the position.

I'm glad you clarified that you've been riding the trainer, b/c when it first appeared to me that you went from 0 to 44 I was even more depressed about my first ride in way too long to mention!!

2017-03-27 1:18 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

No way!  Run and or bike more than 3x ok, but swim ...not happening!  Perhaps that's why swimming is the weakest link for me

I was in the 2-3 swims a week category but Jackie is more in the 3x/week camp.

2017-03-27 1:22 PM

User image

Master

Hi all!  Late to the party on the helmet question, but I wouldn't ever want a used one simply because no way to know if it has invisible damage to it.    I think you decided on a non-aero type, but on the question of training with it--yes.  I find that I hold my head a bit differently with the aero helmet, so if I don't train in it, my neck and shoulders are screaming on race day.

I have just finished a 13 day stretch with no day off--between work, training and taking courses.  Thank goodness that is over and this is a recovery week!  

Jim, I hope your wife's surgery went well.

2017-03-27 2:03 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Re: swimming. I've completed four Ironman swims and they've all been within 2 minutes of each other. I'm consistent if nothing else, LOL! The first two IMs, I was in the pool three days a week religiously. Doing drills, intervals, long swims, the whole sha-bang. The 3rd Ironman, maybe 1-2 times per week with mostly "just swim"s, and the last one? Less than once per week and just swim 500s steady. Still the same race time. So my philosophy is that as long as you shoot for 1x per week and are satisfied with your times (<----- this is the kicker) - you're good 

2017-03-27 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmkizer

I was in the 2-3 swims a week category but Jackie is more in the 3x/week camp.

I also swam 2-3 times per week on a short swim season. Unless you are competing on a high level, that is all you need. You are generally better off using the time on the bike. It's the longest leg of the event and more time can be gained there. Just make sure you can swim the distance comfortably.
2017-03-27 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Interestingly the Masters group has a tri-specific price, maybe to go with the tri specific group. I guess I'll see how often he thinks he'll have me doing his specific workouts or going more than 3X (ick).

Choo is a downriver swim. As Janyne mentioned in her RR they limit the flow but I'll still take that over going against waves.

2017-03-27 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

For those that are interested in seeing how far we've come in 50 years, SC Featured is running the Legacy of 261. This features the story of Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to run the Boston Marathon.  I find the topic of women's rights to be quite interesting, probably since I have 2 daughters and a wife that is a role model of the highest order.

2017-03-27 3:20 PM

User image

Originally posted by TXTriRook Happy Monday everyone! I've clearly missed a lot of group chatter but from what I gathered, I agree I would get a new helmet vs a used one if nothing else for the stench/sweat factor. As for coming to Worlds, that sounds awesome! I hope to be there one day myself. I went for my 1st outdoor ride of 2017 and after about 44 miles my neck/back are still killing me! I ride my roadie on my trainer and clearly forgot what a difference being in aero makes. The plan is to put my tri bike on the trainer so I can start getting used to the position.

I'm glad you clarified that you've been riding the trainer, b/c when it first appeared to me that you went from 0 to 44 I was even more depressed about my first ride in way too long to mention!!

The last 11 (it's an 11 mile loop) was more of a painful slog than a ride. It was just too perfect of a day, I was trying out new shoes and I told myself I had 1 more in me which is what got it done. I have been spinning and trainer riding though so don't feel too bad! Once I get my trainer setup in my new house I plan on doing some rides with my helmet on. I'm sure it'll be painfully uncomfortable but after the way I felt all day Sunday my back/neck clearly needs some strengthening.
2017-03-27 3:32 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cdban66

For those that are interested in seeing how far we've come in 50 years, SC Featured is running the Legacy of 261. This features the story of Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to run the Boston Marathon.  I find the topic of women's rights to be quite interesting, probably since I have 2 daughters and a wife that is a role model of the highest order.

Thanks, Chris, I will definitely check this out.  It's both depressing to think how women were (and sometimes still are) viewed as second class citizens for so many centuries but refreshing to realize how far women's independence and rights have come in the last century (partially due to the bicycle, interestingly).  It also amazes me how even in the past 40 years or so we've come from being banned from running because we are too dainty and fragile (and our uteruses might fly out) to being the gender who takes the majority (in half marathons and under) in running races today while moving very close to being 50/50 in marathon participation with men.

2017-03-27 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Interestingly the Masters group has a tri-specific price, maybe to go with the tri specific group. I guess I'll see how often he thinks he'll have me doing his specific workouts or going more than 3X (ick).

Choo is a downriver swim. As Janyne mentioned in her RR they limit the flow but I'll still take that over going against waves.

They do their best to have no current in your favor, however, you know for sure that you won't be going *against* it which is a big plus :-D

2017-03-27 10:16 PM

Master
Northern IL

As much as I'd like to make sure the swim isn't overlooked, I haven't seen numbers come up here that will really make a substantial difference. If one has never swam before maybe, but it would also flatten out soon too. Not much different than figuring between running a couple miles 2 or 3 times would make a big difference. Maybe some, but really not likely to revolutionize things there.

What would is to swim at least 2-3x as much as what anyone has really mentioned (probably more still), and to do so for a good period of time (eg more months than weeks). Going into an IM training build having never done that would probably be too much though. Something better left to off season. Awhile back Rapp said something to the effect of someone who is able to bike and run a bunch is likely also able to keep their arms moving for long enough too. So with this, it's a bit more eh, make sure you can cover the distance ok. And, if you're going through the trouble to pay for a coach, then do what the coach is saying. 

2017-03-27 10:26 PM
in reply to: awm007

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by awm007
haha - that's EXACTLY how I realized that perhaps it might be time for a new helmet. 3 hours in aero made for a painful weekend. I hope practice and a new helmet make a big difference.

First time out tends to be the worst, maybe notably more so than later. Something to keep in mind is that the aero helmets can weigh a little more than road helmets. So if anyone gets both, make sure to check to be ok with that before the race!

2017-03-27 11:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Stupid as it might seem, maybe I will try out the aero helmet on the trainer. It's just a sprint; no matter how awful it is I should be done in 30-odd minutes (actually only an 18 km bike leg, so a little shorter than standard). Probably should put in a longer outdoor ride or two before the HIM.
2017-03-28 9:16 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner Stupid as it might seem, maybe I will try out the aero helmet on the trainer. It's just a sprint; no matter how awful it is I should be done in 30-odd minutes (actually only an 18 km bike leg, so a little shorter than standard). Probably should put in a longer outdoor ride or two before the HIM.

Funny, this popped up in some social media feed today:

(TriCooking.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
TriCooking.jpg (129KB - 3 downloads)
2017-03-29 5:49 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
With me in the kitchen, you might want a helmet! I do a lot of stir-fry and things sometimes go airborne.

That might be the same model I have--I remember checking the size chart online and seeing that color choice, which would've gone perfectly with one of my racing outfits (the one I wore at Worlds). Unfortunately, it was some ridiculous price new, and the one I "inherited" was plain boring white. I guess it's a bit cooler in hot conditions, if nothing else.
2017-03-29 9:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Hot Runner Stupid as it might seem, maybe I will try out the aero helmet on the trainer. It's just a sprint; no matter how awful it is I should be done in 30-odd minutes (actually only an 18 km bike leg, so a little shorter than standard). Probably should put in a longer outdoor ride or two before the HIM.

Funny, this popped up in some social media feed today:

With DS2 being a UCLA grad I might have to send that to him. He hates aero helmets so his reaction should be comical. I'll report back.

Edited by rrrunner 2017-03-29 9:41 AM

2017-03-29 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I met with Coach Scott last evening. It wasn't what I expected. I thought we'd be speaking generalities but he got down to details of what each week will look like. I gave him the travel weekends that I have already set but he knows there will be more.

Ironically, I tweaked my back just before leaving to go see him. So for two hours I worked really hard not to let on that I was hurting. (Not sure why I didn't want to let him know) I go see the chiro today so hopefully he'll set me straight.

2017-03-29 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I met with Coach Scott last evening. It wasn't what I expected. I thought we'd be speaking generalities but he got down to details of what each week will look like. I gave him the travel weekends that I have already set but he knows there will be more.

Ironically, I tweaked my back just before leaving to go see him. So for two hours I worked really hard not to let on that I was hurting. (Not sure why I didn't want to let him know) I go see the chiro today so hopefully he'll set me straight.

I hope that you are happy with how the meeting went and that your back issue is resolved quickly.

I met with Jackie last week and we went over the annual training plan stuff.  It sounds like was more general than what you discussed with Coach Scott.  What are my goals for the du next month, how many centuries will be planned before Lou, we decided to ditch masters and go with workouts that she writes for me (cannot do them at masters due to non standard pool size, plus swimming at the Y has been fine). I still need to decide if I am going to do Blue Ridge Breakaway or not.

2017-03-29 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I hope that you are happy with how the meeting went and that your back issue is resolved quickly.

I met with Jackie last week and we went over the annual training plan stuff.  It sounds like was more general than what you discussed with Coach Scott.  What are my goals for the du next month, how many centuries will be planned before Lou, we decided to ditch masters and go with workouts that she writes for me (cannot do them at masters due to non standard pool size, plus swimming at the Y has been fine). I still need to decide if I am going to do Blue Ridge Breakaway or not.

Oh... and the look on his face when I told him I'm hoping to get in to MCM! What?! It's a month after IMChoo, that's plenty of recovery/rebuild time! Right?!

2017-03-29 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh... and the look on his face when I told him I'm hoping to get in to MCM! What?! It's a month after IMChoo, that's plenty of recovery/rebuild time! Right?!

I guess it depends on what you want to get out of MCM ;-)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102