General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Training advice - basically from scratch Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-24 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Looking for Training advice - basically from scratch
Good day all.

I have had a rough last 5 years or so. The time off from physical activity has been a lot more than on.

2016 was the worst by far with two surgeries. One for stones and the second for torn shoulder labrum (which had plagued me a couple years). I also got salmonella poisoning in the DR and followed that with severe infection where I was on IV antibiotics for almost 4 months.

Basically I've been a de facto Charlie Brown.

I was an ok athlete prior to all my bad luck. Very good swimmer, ok biker and average runner. But now I am at zero. And I am carrying a lot of extra weight due to inactivity. Sitting at 245lbs and 6'3" and now aged 45.

I was wondering if anyone had training suggestions for a plan to get me:

1. Back to a shape that isn't a pear.
2. Get to a sprint in ok shape by June and maybe an Oly by end of summer.

My diet has to change and I am working on that. But I am weak and fat.

The couch to sprint plan seems a bit too slow for me. Running 10 min is fairly easy, albeit slowly. Cycling is also slow but I can get through 20km before the weather turned ice age. Swimming is a bit tough right now as I still have some pains on recovery portion of my stroke, but physio is taking care of working out that issue.

Your experience with plans including weights and or training off the couch or at an older age would be great - thanks very much.

2016-12-25 1:33 PM
in reply to: slow triathlete

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: Looking for Training advice - basically from scratch

Well howdy and Merry Christmas to ya. I have good news for you. I started getting fit at 43 at about 260lbs with zero athletic background whatsoever, other then I swam alot as a kid and knew how to ride a bike. I have got down to 170lbs and still have room to lose more fat. 

My first bit of advice is regardless of training plan, nutrition must come first, not second. I went to a plant based diet and lost 90lbs in roughly 1.5 years. Each person is different in regards to food choices, but between cutting out meat and dairy was huge for me, 3 years now and I am still getting stronger and faster.

You can go lift weights, run all day and bike all night and if you don't reign in the diet you wont lose a pound. 

I personally have not used a 'plan' since I started training for triathlon. I did my first one Sept 15, Oly in 3.29, my last race was Oct 16, Oly 2:46 at age 46!

I ride the bike when I can, I swim when I can, and I run when I can. I try to get in 3 of each per week but it down not always work out that way. This new year I am starting a structured swim workout series called 'Speed Secrets' which is 3 workouts per week which I am already behind on. Life just gets in the way which is exactly why I do not subscribe to a training plan.

In try to squeeze in a little yoga and body weight exercises now and again, I need to really get that incorporated into a more structured weekly activity. Personally the strength will come from training. Also in your case, trying to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time is very difficult to do and may result in disappointment.

So I would say, get on the diet to lose the fat, and just start training to build the endurance. Just get out there and start running biking and swimming, try doing each sport 2-3 times a week and then start ramping up as you get closer to your race. Oh ya, just sign up for the race already. Once you sign up, the training begins. I just signed up for my first Ironman 70.3 that is on May 6th. I only have 4 months to train and I am off to a slow start.

Oh ya, get a indoor trainer for your bike, doesn't have to be fancy. I got a used one for $25 and pair that up with a heart rate, cadence and speed sensors and use 'Trainer Road' app. Indoor training is something new for me but I have already gotten in a few good workouts. Better then racking the bike for the winter.

Good luck to you and your future Triathlon success!

2016-12-26 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Welcome back. Hang in there, it takes time! I was out twice as well; one for stones and one for back surgery; but always managed to bounce back so hang in there.

I have a free sprint plan on my new website if you want to check it out. Might be a little easy since it's for first timers, but could be a good place to start. Shoot me any questions I'll be happy to help as well!

Just take it easy though. Mentally its easy to fall back into the "I use to be able to do this" and risk repeating injury. Slow and steady, and in no time you'll be feeling great again.
2016-12-26 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

Welcome.
IMHO, it is far better to build durability and resilience to both injury and the blahs thru consistency. So, start off slowly, but consistently. Think tiny steps

Often suggested is something called the Barry P running plan, which has you run consistently day in, and day out. But, you will need to build up to it, so again, imho, a couch-to goal plan is ideal. (couch to sprint, or couch to 5km etc...) Even if it is lots of walking, maintain some daily activity, and curbing your desire to fulfill your appetite is key Others will have suggestions on portion-control .

One thing that will help - joining a group to help with accountability. The mentor groups are starting up here shortly...

Good luck on your journey to Health!
2016-12-26 10:18 PM
in reply to: #5208073

User image

Veteran
The Nation's Frosty Capital
Good luck on your journey. Consistently doing my workouts over months and years has made all the difference. Each day is a new day and needs a recommittment to your health and your goals.

I wish you the best in your make over.
2016-12-28 3:08 PM
in reply to: #5208137

User image

If you'd like I'll send you a free PDF version of my book which is full of great tips for you. Just send me an email itri2008@gmail.

Here's the book I am referring to
https://www.amazon.com/Six-Word-Lessons-Successful-Triathletes-Essen...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Training advice - basically from scratch Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie looking for training schedule advice

Started by bilwil
Views: 789 Posts: 3

2010-09-11 9:04 PM Chaderbox

Looking for run training advice to take it to the next level

Started by StevenK
Views: 1433 Posts: 17

2010-09-02 1:45 PM tcovert

Looking for some winter coaching/training advice

Started by GoFaster
Views: 950 Posts: 5

2009-09-22 10:18 PM Steve-

Newbie looking for training advice

Started by mwade
Views: 767 Posts: 4

2009-09-12 6:32 PM tmac70

Looking for training plan advice

Started by rsqdvr
Views: 1039 Posts: 2

2008-12-28 11:18 PM TriAya
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Free Triathlon Online Mentoring Open Now

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.