BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2017-02-17 10:46 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Subject: RE: Cough and Cold...........
Recently had a similar experience Tony. I do an annual ice fishing trip in NH. I left on Friday before I could get a workout in and then missed my return due to snow. Lost 5 days of training. I was just starting to hit my training stride, and ate and drank enough to put about 5 pounds on.
In a couple weeks we have a cruise that will come 4 weeks before my first tri and 6 before my HM. I hope to get a little bike/run in. Will see

Nate

2017-02-20 7:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: New shoes
I'm glad I was persistent in my search for shoes for my bike. The store I worked with was extremely patient with me. They were able to get a pair of the Pearl Izumi Tri Fly's into the store for me to try. I'm glad I didn't purchase these on the internet without trying them on because I couldn't have lasted for a 10 mile ride in those shoes, never mind 56. I was hopeful, but they were very uncomfortable on my wide feet. I had tried a couple of Bontrager cycling shoes on in the store and they fit better than anything else, but I was hesitant to buy cycling shoes rather than tri-specific shoes. It turns out that Bontrager made a tri shoe and the store graciously agreed to get a pair in the store. I was thrilled when they fit better than anything else I had tried.

I would like introduce you to the Bontrager Hilo! Here's hoping I get many years of use out of these babies!

Edited by rjchilds8 2017-02-20 6:28 PM

Attachments
----------------
Resized_20170217_154257.jpeg (922KB - 5 downloads)
2017-02-21 9:58 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: RE: New shoes
Glad you got the shoes worked out. Picked up a new pair of running shoes this week and did my first run in them tonight. Man what a difference a week makes. I missed several days two weeks ago do to a guys trip. I got back and my TP called for a 4 mile run with 2 at tempo. It was the first real workout of my plan. I held my goal pace for about a mile and a half and then started to really struggle. Fast forward a week, 5 mile run with 3 mile tempo with same goal pace. Negative splits, and all under goal pace. I was really dreading this workout today because it was going to be a late one. I did a bike last night and didn't want to do an early morning workout because I wouldn't have enough recovery time, and we had planned to go out to dinner for my daughters birthday. I hate eating to close to a workout. Fortunately everything worked out well. Perhaps it was the new shoes...

Everyone join Monty's challenge group. I just figured it out on Sunday.

Lets finish February strong!
2017-02-22 2:25 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Subject: RE: New shoes
Originally posted by nrpoulin

Glad you got the shoes worked out. Picked up a new pair of running shoes this week and did my first run in them tonight. Man what a difference a week makes. I missed several days two weeks ago do to a guys trip. I got back and my TP called for a 4 mile run with 2 at tempo. It was the first real workout of my plan. I held my goal pace for about a mile and a half and then started to really struggle. Fast forward a week, 5 mile run with 3 mile tempo with same goal pace. Negative splits, and all under goal pace. I was really dreading this workout today because it was going to be a late one. I did a bike last night and didn't want to do an early morning workout because I wouldn't have enough recovery time, and we had planned to go out to dinner for my daughters birthday. I hate eating to close to a workout. Fortunately everything worked out well. Perhaps it was the new shoes...

Everyone join Monty's challenge group. I just figured it out on Sunday.

Lets finish February strong!

It was such a weight off my shoulders to find a pair that actually fit pretty well. I didn't want to even think about trying to ride any kind of distance with uncomfortable shoes and the resulting damage those sore/hurting feet would do to my run.

I've had a bit of an inconsistent effort in my training over the last few weeks. I had a really stressful week earlier in the month and I only did a half a workout in a 5-day span. In general, the number of days that I've been able to get in a workout has dropped from last month. Now I'm trying to get back on track and finish the month strong. I'm hoping the forecast for tomorrow is reasonably accurate because I would love to get outside for a bike ride instead of being on my trainer.
2017-02-24 1:38 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: Clipped in!
Well, I bit the bullet yesterday. After practicing clipping and unclipping from my pedals both in a doorway and then out in my driveway, I decided to take the plunge and venture out onto the road in my brand spanking new clipless pedals and shoes. I was a little nervous about it, but the day was just too nice to pass up and outdoor ride. 63 degrees and relatively sunny in late February in New England?! Oh, yeah, that'll do it!

Things went about as well as could be expected. As long as I knew that I was going to stop (stop signs, traffic lights, etc.), then I had no problem unclipping and being prepared to stop. I'm not sure what would have happened if something happened in front of me quickly, but I'm pretty sure I can guess that I would have gone down ... hard! But that didn't happen. I actually found that my biggest issue was getting clipped back into the pedal after a stop. I had one particular intersection where I stopped at a light and then had to get moving again immediately on an uphill. On a flat surface it wasn't too bad, but getting started uphill without being clipped in was a bit of a challenge. Any suggestions?

Overall, I felt pretty good. I clipped out and then back in a few times on flat, straight stretches to get some practice. With my old toes clips, I think I took my right foot out nearly 100% of the time, but I felt like I needed to practice getting my left foot out a few times too. One thing I noticed was that it was very hard for me to get my foot out at the top of my pedal stroke. It was much easier at the bottom of the stroke. Is that just something that I will develop over time? Or do other people have problems getting unclipped at the top of their pedal stroke?

One other thing I thought of as I was riding. How do people dismount during a race? Do you get unclipped and still try to pull off the flying dismount? Do you leave your shoes clipped in and just take your feet out for the flying dismount? I'm curious to hear what other do during a race.

Randy
2017-02-26 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Clipped in!

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Well, I bit the bullet yesterday. After practicing clipping and unclipping from my pedals both in a doorway and then out in my driveway, I decided to take the plunge and venture out onto the road in my brand spanking new clipless pedals and shoes. I was a little nervous about it, but the day was just too nice to pass up and outdoor ride. 63 degrees and relatively sunny in late February in New England?! Oh, yeah, that'll do it! Things went about as well as could be expected. As long as I knew that I was going to stop (stop signs, traffic lights, etc.), then I had no problem unclipping and being prepared to stop. I'm not sure what would have happened if something happened in front of me quickly, but I'm pretty sure I can guess that I would have gone down ... hard! But that didn't happen. I actually found that my biggest issue was getting clipped back into the pedal after a stop. I had one particular intersection where I stopped at a light and then had to get moving again immediately on an uphill. On a flat surface it wasn't too bad, but getting started uphill without being clipped in was a bit of a challenge. Any suggestions? Overall, I felt pretty good. I clipped out and then back in a few times on flat, straight stretches to get some practice. With my old toes clips, I think I took my right foot out nearly 100% of the time, but I felt like I needed to practice getting my left foot out a few times too. One thing I noticed was that it was very hard for me to get my foot out at the top of my pedal stroke. It was much easier at the bottom of the stroke. Is that just something that I will develop over time? Or do other people have problems getting unclipped at the top of their pedal stroke? One other thing I thought of as I was riding. How do people dismount during a race? Do you get unclipped and still try to pull off the flying dismount? Do you leave your shoes clipped in and just take your feet out for the flying dismount? I'm curious to hear what other do during a race. Randy

You'll progress to where you are only unclipping one shoe when stopping. For me I always unclip my left shoe when coming up to a stop. The right stays clipped in. When it is time to go, just use the right leg for a couple of revolutions to get momentum going again, then clip the left back in while coasting. I'll also say that this is where a lot of people fall early on...1 foot clipped and 1 unclipped. Even when sitting still if you forget you are still clipped in on the right side and you lean just a little, it doesn't take much to send your center of gravity over to that clipped side and then you fall.

Flying dismount is leaving your shoes clipped in and just pulling your feet out of the shoe. That is why a tri specific shoe with just Velcro straps is needed.

Edited by Dominion 2017-02-26 11:11 AM

2017-02-26 1:14 PM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Bike drills
I've started doing a video series that involves different drill. One disc has us spinning in a low gear as fast as we can for a minute without bouncing, ensuring our form is good. I do that a few times with a 2 minute recovery and then it has me do single leg drills for 2 minutes on each leg. Wow is that hard after about 45 seconds! Anyone else do any type of of efficiency drills on the trainer? It's too early to tell if it's helping me but I'm gonna do the video about once a week. The other video I'm doing has me going 10 minutes about 50-60 rpms in the highest gear on the bike with 5 minute recoveries keeping my HR in zone 3 and down to zone 1 in the recovery period. I've done this one a few times already and it really helps watching these videos to pass the time.

For those in the garmin challenges, it looks to be an fun week competing in all three disciplines!

Scott
2017-02-26 5:40 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Clipped in!
Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by rjchilds8 On a flat surface it wasn't too bad, but getting started uphill without being clipped in was a bit of a challenge.

You'll progress to where you are only unclipping one shoe when stopping. For me I always unclip my left shoe when coming up to a stop. The right stays clipped in. When it is time to go, just use the right leg for a couple of revolutions to get momentum going again, then clip the left back in while coasting. I'll also say that this is where a lot of people fall early on...1 foot clipped and 1 unclipped. Even when sitting still if you forget you are still clipped in on the right side and you lean just a little, it doesn't take much to send your center of gravity over to that clipped side and then you fall.

Flying dismount is leaving your shoes clipped in and just pulling your feet out of the shoe. That is why a tri specific shoe with just Velcro straps is needed.

That's what I did, too. I don't think I worded that question very well. One shoe was clipped in (my left) and one was unclipped. I found it hard to get started going uphill with only the one foot clipped in, I think because I tried to press down on the unclipped side and my foot just wanted to slip off the pedal. I'm probably going to have to do some one legged drills to get stronger for that kind of restart. Hopefully I shouldn't face that situation in a race. It will also help to become more adept at getting clipped in. For my first ride, it took a lot of concentration and getting used to in order to know where to position my foot to clip back in. I'm sure it will become more second nature the more I do it.

2017-02-26 8:10 PM

Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
The weather up here has been unusually warm for this time of year. Last weekend did a 8 k Sunday run with the lcoal tri club then Monday a 6 k fun run. First day in a few weeks I ve felt good after fitting a cold for a few weeks. Nagging knee pain after slipping someplace . Taking it easy maybe just some swimming and a yoga class or two.
2017-02-27 3:30 PM

User image

Subject: Registered!
Just completed my registration for a 4.30 Sprint.....same event that I did for my first sprint in the spring of 2015; hope to improve my times this time around! A week later in April this time around so hopefully the weather will be nicer than 2 years ago. My oldest son is also doing this event (he completed it last year-I was registered but my dad's illness needed my presence in Alabama).......

Edited by 2NewKnees 2017-02-27 3:33 PM
2017-02-27 8:44 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Registered!
Bill, you'll knock your 2015 time out the park.

Well I finally got back at it after a week off due to a pulled / strained muscle in my back while kayak fishing of all things. So I hit the pool today for the first time in I don't know how long. Did 4 x 250 for 1000, and could tell it's been a while. Have a few irons near the fire and I'll post when / if I actually put them in.

Sorry y'all for the absence I hope to be a lot more regular from here on

2017-02-28 7:41 AM
in reply to: Racerboy000

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Racerboy000 The weather up here has been unusually warm for this time of year. Last weekend did a 8 k Sunday run with the lcoal tri club then Monday a 6 k fun run. First day in a few weeks I ve felt good after fitting a cold for a few weeks. Nagging knee pain after slipping someplace . Taking it easy maybe just some swimming and a yoga class or two.

I think we're going to break temp records here in north Texas as well. We did get a little rain yesterday which was much needed! I have one forecast showing rain in the morning and one showing rain in the afternoon. I guess I'l just get the bike out and see which one is right!

2017-02-28 9:13 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Originally posted by Racerboy000 The weather up here has been unusually warm for this time of year. Last weekend did a 8 k Sunday run with the lcoal tri club then Monday a 6 k fun run. First day in a few weeks I ve felt good after fitting a cold for a few weeks. Nagging knee pain after slipping someplace . Taking it easy maybe just some swimming and a yoga class or two.

I think we're going to break temp records here in north Texas as well. We did get a little rain yesterday which was much needed! I have one forecast showing rain in the morning and one showing rain in the afternoon. I guess I'l just get the bike out and see which one is right!

That seems to be the theme in a lot of places. We've also been having warmer weather here in Massachusetts as well. Although, many days are still in the 40s or low 50s. 40 degree days are outside my comfort zone for riding outside. Even the low 50s are days I'll most likely opt for the trainer. I did get outside for a ride on Thursday last week when we had temps in the low to mid 60s! Most winters up here we have daily highs in the 30s, 20s, or even lower, in February. It was only 2 winters ago that we had the third highest snow total ever recorded for our area. January 2015 saw 46.5 inches of show followed up by 53.4 in February. That's a whopping 99.9 inches of snow in two months! So it's nice to have a chance to ride outside over the last couple of February's. Who knows how many times that will happen?!
2017-02-28 12:56 PM
in reply to: #5208205

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
I went to ride my bike outdoors last week and in the process of trading out the training tire with the road tire popped the inner tube. I have a half marathon coming up this Saturday so hoping for some good conditions this weekend
2017-02-28 5:24 PM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Time2TriHard I went to ride my bike outdoors last week and in the process of trading out the training tire with the road tire popped the inner tube. I have a half marathon coming up this Saturday so hoping for some good conditions this weekend

Have a great race!!  Let us know how it turns out. 

2017-02-28 10:31 PM
in reply to: #5214650

User image

New user
February numbers :

Total Swim 5825.00 yards 2h 29m 11s
Total Bike 144.75 miles 8h 22m 22s
Total Run 12.15 miles 1h 41m 18s
Total Strength 1h 11m

Not quite what I was wanting for swim but better than a goose egg I had last month. Bike was right where I want it to be and hope to duplicate it in march. Run, was down mostly because of sore feet and trying to figure out why they hurt. Strength training was down bu t better than non at all. Hope everyone had a good month! Btw, still no idea what's going on with the feet, both ache almost all day. They're better since I've gotten some insole inserts for my work shoes.

Scott

2017-03-01 7:11 AM

User image

Subject: Feb Totals
Swim 2h 39m 19s - 9000.00 Yd
BIKE6h 33m 18s - 117.99 Mi
RUN7h 31m 51s - 51.05 Mi

I am overall pretty happy with this volume. I missed two swims over the month, and I didn't really start workouts in the pool until this past week. My first race is a pool swim so not to worried but I do have a Olympic 4 weeks later with a HM in the middle so not much time to get the distance up. Will have to put the work in March

I didn't miss a bike workout this month and I am proud of that. I haven't biked outside yet. Despite the awesome weather I have pushed my rides to Monday and Wednesday due to my HM training plan and it wont be light enough for a while to get a bike in after work on these days. I am just spinning for now, but I will need to start putting some intervals in.

My run volume has been the only truly structured part of my training plan. That being said I only got about 70% of the volume I planned for. One tough long weekend, and a tough week at work decreased my volume. Fortunately no week was a complete wash.

March will start off hard was we drive to Florida this weekend and then head off on a Disney cruise on Monday.

Edited by nrpoulin 2017-03-01 7:27 AM
2017-03-01 7:27 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Swim: 2h 40m 24s - 7350 M
Bike: 5h 54m 12s - 96.12 Mi
Run: 5h 26m 23s - 35.98 Mi

My February totals were almost identical to my January totals. I did 50 meters less swimming, but that was in one less workout. I increased the total volume of each workout by about 350 meters. My bike total was only about 2 miles more than last month, but that volume was done in 2 fewer workouts. However, I did exceed my goal of lengthening my trainer session, adding nearly 15 minutes on average. My run total was only 1 mile more than January. Again, reaching that distance in 2 fewer workouts. I increased my average run length by about 1.5 miles per workout.

So good new/bad news. I had a really stressful week plus in the middle of the month where I really fell out of the rhythm I had started to get into with my training. I had two separate 4-day stretches where I only did 1 workout, so that obviously had an impact. I finished with a flourish, logging workouts on 7 of the last 9 days of the month. Here's hoping that March doesn't hold any surprises and I can be more consistent like I was in January.
2017-03-01 10:28 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Feb Totals
Here's what I accomplished in February.....

Swim.......8hrs 37mins........18375 yards
Bike.........5hrs 46mins........73.98 miles
Walk........7hrs 20mins........29.66 miles (walk vs run due to my knees)
Strength..7hrs 21 min

I did take off training yesterday; had a string of consecutive days (nearly 2 weeks) of training.....my old body said take it easy for a day!

Pool closed this am.....I have to get more consistent on the bike sessions....hopefully weather will break.....

Congrats to a great month of training for those who've posted their data! Amazing!!!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2017-03-01 10:29 AM
2017-03-05 9:33 AM
in reply to: #5208205

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Figured I'd post a race report for my half marathon yesterday
Ran my first half marathon today in a time of 1:38:01 today which earned me 122nd place and 16th in my age group. I started out to what felt like a pretty conservative pace at about 7:34 for the first 3. As we reached the trail and the groups started to thin I felt really good so I picked up my pace slightly and went with some of the ppl passing me. Over the course of the next ten miles all my splits were sub 7:30, most under 7:25 and the 13th I believe was a 7:14. Overall a very strong race with a negative split. A year ago my average pace from today would of been a 10k PR so that shows a lot of progress. The course was extremely flat so that was helpful to my time. My time was 2 minutes better than my A goal of 7:40 so I have no complaints about how the day went. Now time to switch focus toward short course triathlon training.
2017-03-05 9:49 AM
in reply to: #5215061

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Right on! Great race and great time! Congrats!

2017-03-05 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race and an even better strategy and execution
2017-03-05 3:13 PM
in reply to: #5215064

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Thank you! I honestly had doubts if I could even make 1:40 because in training runs it seemed pretty tough to maintain a pace under 8 minutes. It was crazy how easy it seemed to run sub 7:30 minute miles yesterday.
2017-03-05 7:29 PM

User image

Outstanding!!! Congrats!!
2017-03-05 11:51 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Checking in. I have been MIA for a little while. School, work and kids are drowning me. I have been walking most days though so I am not slacking. I got up to doing 2 mile walks with one of my friends early in the morning. I will update my log.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41287 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38441 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."