BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2017-03-06 6:08 AM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
Originally posted by Time2TriHard

Figured I'd post a race report for my half marathon yesterday
Ran my first half marathon today in a time of 1:38:01 today which earned me 122nd place and 16th in my age group. I started out to what felt like a pretty conservative pace at about 7:34 for the first 3. As we reached the trail and the groups started to thin I felt really good so I picked up my pace slightly and went with some of the ppl passing me. Over the course of the next ten miles all my splits were sub 7:30, most under 7:25 and the 13th I believe was a 7:14. Overall a very strong race with a negative split. A year ago my average pace from today would of been a 10k PR so that shows a lot of progress. The course was extremely flat so that was helpful to my time. My time was 2 minutes better than my A goal of 7:40 so I have no complaints about how the day went. Now time to switch focus toward short course triathlon training.

Awesome time for your first half! Congrats!

2017-03-06 1:35 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: February Totals
S: 9840.17 yards
B: 148.75 miles
R: 42.51 miles

Hi, all. Well, I was doing pretty well in February, until the 22nd when I came down with ick-itis and spent the next ten days in my recliner in front of the fireplace, with friends occasionally stopping by to check for a pulse and to bring me food. I'm still not over it, but I went out for a walk for the first time yesterday and managed to jog a mile, so I think I've managed to pull myself out of the grave. I'm slowly going to try to ease back into training this week.

With the recent Garmin group and challenges, I've started wearing my watch in the pool. To my surprise, it's maintaining an accurate lap count, which it didn't do when I first tried it last year. Anyway, I discovered that when I swim from the south end to the north, I can go pretty fast (for me), at about a 1:50 to 2:00/100 yard pace. However, when I swim north to south, my pace drops considerably, to 2:30-2:40/100 yards. I know; it's really weird. When I look at my swim graph, it looks like teeth; I can easily see which direction I was swimming. I have a new coach for this year, one that's local, and we've been trying to get together for some swim sessions, but with me being on death's door for the past few weeks, we've had to keep rescheduling. I'm hoping we can get together this coming weekend because I'd really like to see what's going on. If I can figure out where my form falls apart heading south, then I should be able to correct that and perhaps pick up some speed this year.

In other news, my triathlon club got word that we had the single biggest entry by any triathlon club ever in an Ironman event this past June at Cd'A 70.3, so this next race, they're giving us our own dedicated bike rack. Woohoo! That's pretty cool.
2017-03-06 2:29 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: February Totals

Pretty happy about only missing one workout (bike) this month out of my training schedule. However I missed several strength and core workouts. My goal is to keep up the training but get back in the gym and more core work. However, next week my wife and I are going fishing/kayaking in east Texas for a week so I'll be limited to only a few runs. No open water swimming with the alligators!

Swim: 10h 02m - 18.09 Mi
Bike: 19h 28m - 305.98 Mi
Run: 13h 37m - 84.52 Mi

2017-03-06 7:36 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Extreme Veteran
Where abouts in east Texas. I may be able to give you some colors / tips for some locations . What park, Martin Dies has some pretty good white bass fishing this time of year. I have my second kayak tournament this Saturday. My first I came in 13 of 64, but won the pitching contest which netted me a $700.00 NRS wader package.
2017-03-08 9:30 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Where abouts in east Texas. I may be able to give you some colors / tips for some locations . What park, Martin Dies has some pretty good white bass fishing this time of year. I have my second kayak tournament this Saturday. My first I came in 13 of 64, but won the pitching contest which netted me a $700.00 NRS wader package.

Wow! congrats! That's pretty cool. We're staying at Caddo Lake State Park and plan on fishing Big Cypress Bayou and Caddo Lake. Looking for blacks and whites (or anything we can find) depending on the area and weather. For blacks we're using Texas Rigs with worms and craws for soft plastic. Also, bladed jigs and lipless cranks like Rat-L-Trap's for the open areas. All of it is mostly dark colors and plan on working them real slow. For whites we mostly have crappie jigs (Roadrunners) some with blades and skirts.

Both of us fished most of our lives but kind of stopped or at least a major slow down when we had kids 20 yrs ago. We got a couple of Perception Sports 12.5' sit in kayaks for paddling/fishing and we're getting back into it again. Just had some friends limit out on whites on the Sabine River south east from Carthage with a guide. They were told the whites are almost done down there already.

2017-03-08 1:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I would suggest you get some Watermelon Green w/ Red Flak and Black w/ Blue Flak Worms (Zoom Baby Brush Hogs are usually really good during the spawn, which is upon us). We just use small silver rat-l-traps and simple silver spoons or what we call slabs in my area for the white bass.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2017-03-08 1:47 PM

2017-03-08 4:52 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete I would suggest you get some Watermelon Green w/ Red Flak and Black w/ Blue Flak Worms (Zoom Baby Brush Hogs are usually really good during the spawn, which is upon us). We just use small silver rat-l-traps and simple silver spoons or what we call slabs in my area for the white bass.

I'll PM you. Check your inbox.

2017-03-08 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Time2TriHard Thank you! I honestly had doubts if I could even make 1:40 because in training runs it seemed pretty tough to maintain a pace under 8 minutes. It was crazy how easy it seemed to run sub 7:30 minute miles yesterday.

Great race! Great time!

2017-03-09 11:56 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Subject: Crank arm length
At my bike fitting about a week ago, the fitter suggested that I might benefit from a shorter crank arm. I believe my current bike has a length of 175 mm and he suggested dropping down to 170. I'm just curious if anybody else in this group has switched to a shorter crank arm. If so, did you find that it affected your pedal stroke at all? Were you able to use bigger gears? Were you forced to use a smaller gear? Was there any effect on your hill climbing? I'm considering making the change after browsing through some articles online, but I was curious if anyone in this group had actually gone through this kind of change on their bike.
2017-03-10 9:45 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: RE: Crank arm length
Originally posted by rjchilds8
At my bike fitting about a week ago, the fitter suggested that I might benefit from a shorter crank arm. I believe my current bike has a length of 175 mm and he suggested dropping down to 170. I'm just curious if anybody else in this group has switched to a shorter crank arm. If so, did you find that it affected your pedal stroke at all? Were you able to use bigger gears? Were you forced to use a smaller gear? Was there any effect on your hill climbing? I'm considering making the change after browsing through some articles online, but I was curious if anyone in this group had actually gone through this kind of change on their bike.

I switched from 175mm to 155mm on my mountain bike four years ago because I have limited range of motion in my left knee, and the shorter crank arm put less stress on my knee. Since then, I've increased my range of motion so I can now use 175mm crank arms without any issues. Honestly, other than range of motion, I haven't noticed any difference. No difference in gears, and maybe just a little easier for hill climbing just because there's less stress on my knee.

I'm curious why your fitter suggested the shorter crank arm and what benefit you might get out of only 5mm?
2017-03-10 10:25 AM

User image

Originally posted by burner2

Originally posted by rjchilds8
bike.

I switched from 175mm to 155mm on my mountain bike four years ago because I have limited range of motion in my left knee, and the shorter crank arm put less stress on my knee. Since then, I've increased my range of motion so I can now use 175mm crank arms without any issues. Honestly, other than range of motion, I haven't noticed any difference. No difference in gears, and maybe just a little easier for hill climbing just because there's less stress on my knee.

I'm still pretty much a bike newbie....but I'm curious as to how the change in crank length (shorter?) helped with your ROM issues with your left knee? Due to my knee replacements my left knee has less ROM than my right; it affects my foot placement on the pedal and I find my right leg works harder than my left.....thought I'd ask in view of your remarks on ROM issues.......

2017-03-10 1:20 PM

User image

Originally posted by 2NewKnees

I'm still pretty much a bike newbie....but I'm curious as to how the change in crank length (shorter?) helped with your ROM issues with your left knee? Due to my knee replacements my left knee has less ROM than my right; it affects my foot placement on the pedal and I find my right leg works harder than my left.....thought I'd ask in view of your remarks on ROM issues.......

Looks like we've got a bunch of gimps in this group! Same issue for me. I tore my ACL when I was about 20 and I've had 2 surgeries on that knee. After the 2nd one, I lost some of the range of motion in that knee. It hasn't caused issues per se, but it is something that I become aware of when I'm on the bike. I wish I could remember exactly what the fitter said, but I know one of the issues had to do with the shorter crank arm putting a little less stress on that knee. I believe he was also saying that it would give me a little more clearance at the top of the stroke, which would put less stress on my quads and/or hips.

I found several articles that discuss the benefits including this from Cycling Weekly:

“With shorter cranks, the rider’s torso can be positioned lower because the shorter crank keeps the hip open. This has the knock-on effect of preventing unhelpful and inefficient pedalling adaptations due to hip impingement.”

“Hip flexor angles can be eased and this can have a positive effect on the rider’s ability to breath better, as the diaphragm is not as affected. Lower back angle can be achieved."

“Some research has shown a decrease in the riders’ blood pressure, and this can have a positive effect on physiology. Short cranks can also protect riders with knee issues.”

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/are-shorter-cranks...
2017-03-10 3:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by 2NewKnees

With shorter crank arms, when your knee is at the high part of the pedal stroke, it's not quite as sharp an angle as with the longer crank arms. When I first started riding four years ago, the angle with the 175mm crank arms was too steep for me to even be able to pedal. I tried to get 145mm crank arms, but 155mm was the shortest we could find to fit my bike. And it is a lot easier to pedal with the shorter crank arms. However, it's a HUGE expense (cost me nearly $300 to modify my mountain bike) because your entire drive train has to be replaced, possibly even including your gear shifters. My bike fitter recommended I shorten the crank arms on my tri bike from 175mm to 170mm because of how I place my left foot on the pedal, but frankly, spending $300 to shorten them 5mm is not worth it to me. It is different when you're talking 20-30mm, but 5mm isn't enough of a difference for me to fork out that kind of money. I really don't think it's enough to affect my foot placement.
2017-03-11 6:30 AM

User image

Originally posted by burner2

With shorter crank arms, when your knee is at the high part of the pedal stroke, it's not quite as sharp an angle as with the longer crank arms. When I first started riding four years ago, the angle with the 175mm crank arms was too steep for me to even be able to pedal. I tried to get 145mm crank arms, but 155mm was the shortest we could find to fit my bike. And it is a lot easier to pedal with the shorter crank arms. However, it's a HUGE expense (cost me nearly $300 to modify my mountain bike) because your entire drive train has to be replaced, possibly even including your gear shifters. My bike fitter recommended I shorten the crank arms on my tri bike from 175mm to 170mm because of how I place my left foot on the pedal, but frankly, spending $300 to shorten them 5mm is not worth it to me. It is different when you're talking 20-30mm, but 5mm isn't enough of a difference for me to fork out that kind of money. I really don't think it's enough to affect my foot placement.

Wow, not sure I'd be doing it if it cost that much money. I got the work order from my LBS and it's only going to cost me $125. They aren't having to change any other parts, so I'm not sure what happened in your situation but the only part on the work order is the crankset itself. The description of the part says that it is a 9-speed crankset and my bike is an 8-speed. So they are supposed to confirm that there are no issues with compatibility of the part. I won't do it if they start having to add more parts and driving the price up. At the time of my fitting, the guy said there shouldn't be any issues, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he was right.
2017-03-11 3:23 PM

User image

Appreciate the insight on the crank lengths! After doing some reading I've come to the conclusion I'll need to get my cheap butt down to our local bike shop and spring for a fitting......no sense "chasing parts" that might not pan out.....I've even looked at some new model bikes during my research today....but a new ride can wait I suppose...
2017-03-12 12:51 PM

User image

Subject: First 5K of the year
I had my first 5K of the year today. I was not happy when the weather turned cold for this weekend. Temp was in the 12-14 degree range, with forecasted wind speeds of 14 mph. I bundled up enough so that my only real issue was that my running gloves were kinda thin and my hands cold for the first half of the race. I figured I was headed for a slow time given that I was all bundled up and I haven't really done any 5K pace type of running. I was shocked to find out that my official time was only 6 seconds off a PR! Obviously, I was very happy with my time of 24:23. I negative split each mile going 8:01, 7:55, 7:44 (and 6:37 pace over the last 0.11, LOL). I wasn't planning on any kind of record setting performance, so I started in the middle of the pack instead of closer to the front. Who knows how many seconds I lost being stuck back in all of that slower moving traffic? ;-) I've got my next 5K in about a month, maybe I'll actually work in a little 5K pace work and actually go for a PR this time.

2017-03-12 1:05 PM
in reply to: #5208205

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Nice work! It went from 70 here Thursday to around 30 yesterday so I definitely understand the struggle. I been reading lately that most of your training should be slow in that z1 and z2 heart rate so maybe not training at race pace didn't hurt you as much as you thought.
2017-03-13 6:57 AM

User image

Originally posted by Time2TriHard

Nice work! It went from 70 here Thursday to around 30 yesterday so I definitely understand the struggle. I been reading lately that most of your training should be slow in that z1 and z2 heart rate so maybe not training at race pace didn't hurt you as much as you thought.

I don't train by HR zone. I go more by feel and estimate an RPE for my runs. I tend to do most of my running in a range of 4-6 for RPE. But I usually do a few 5K time trial runs at a hard pace when I know I have a race coming up, but I didn't do that this year. I've been almost all longer runs (5-7 miles), usually at a comfortable pace. So it was a nice surprise to be able to turn it on for the race. I've got another 5K in a month. I'm not sure I'll bother changing my training routine based on yesterday's result.
2017-03-14 11:31 AM

User image

New user
Watford
Subject: To 70.3 or not to 70.3
Hi all,

I'm considering entering my first 70.3 at the end of August. This, allowing for holiday, will give me about 3 months to train. During that 3 months I already have a couple of 10k races, an Sprint and Oly Tri booked in.

I'm 46 (and 9 months) and whilst I've done two oly's and a half dozen sprints I'm still apprehensive of the distance. I think I'll be OK on the swim provided I can arrange some open water training, and the run should be OK (I did a half marathon last year), but I only have a very cheap road bike and (if you have seen my previous post) only just progressed to clipless pedals.

I'm not worried about time just a finsih.

Oh, and one final thing it starts at 6:00pm in the UK so the majority will be in the dark!!!

So what do you think - too soon for a 70.3 should I wait for next year or just go for it in August.
2017-03-14 8:22 PM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Subject: RE: To 70.3 or not to 70.3
Originally posted by TonyAbbott

Hi all,

I'm considering entering my first 70.3 at the end of August. This, allowing for holiday, will give me about 3 months to train. During that 3 months I already have a couple of 10k races, an Sprint and Oly Tri booked in.

I'm 46 (and 9 months) and whilst I've done two oly's and a half dozen sprints I'm still apprehensive of the distance. I think I'll be OK on the swim provided I can arrange some open water training, and the run should be OK (I did a half marathon last year), but I only have a very cheap road bike and (if you have seen my previous post) only just progressed to clipless pedals.

I'm not worried about time just a finsih.

Oh, and one final thing it starts at 6:00pm in the UK so the majority will be in the dark!!!

So what do you think - too soon for a 70.3 should I wait for next year or just go for it in August.

I don't understand your math. There's 5+ months until the end of August. Are you saying that you're going to be taking 2 months worth of vacation between now and then? If so, I'm very jealous!

It's a little tough to gauge without knowing your current fitness level. I'm also training for my first 70.3, which is set for September 3rd. I took some down time at the end of last year and mostly only ran. I didn't swim at all from mid-September until the end of the year and only logged 6 bike rides from October through December. But come January 1st, I jumped back in full force. How long have you been training so far? I understand you just want to finish and not care about time. But if you don't adequately prepare, then a DNF becomes a possibility. I don't mean to discourage you, only to say that you need to be realistic. Maybe I'm the lone member that thinks it sounds like 70.3 might be a reach, especially if your training is going to be interrupted a lot by vacations. I'm curious to hear what others on this group think.
2017-03-15 1:00 AM
in reply to: #5215665

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Heat shouldn't be a factor since it's in the dark. Personally if I thought I could finish the swim, I wouldn't be too concerned with a DNF but then again that's my weakness. You can always take walk breaks on the run. I do agree it would probably be tough if your not training consistently though.

2017-03-15 3:30 AM

User image

New user
Watford
Thanks very much for the feedback - Sorry I didnt explain my timmings very well.

The race is on 12th Aug and I get back from holiday on 17th April so that gives me about 17 weeks of training. As I said I do have some races booked in which I could use as training prep.

I have done 2 Olympic distance races and 6 sprints over the past couple of years. To give a rough idea of fitness level my long run this weekend will be around 14km and I normally turbo for around 1 hour 40 mins.

I think I'll be able to do around 8-10 hours training a week, provided I can get the family on board.

So what do you think????????
2017-03-15 12:38 PM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Originally posted by TonyAbbott

Thanks very much for the feedback - Sorry I didnt explain my timings very well.

The race is on 12th Aug and I get back from holiday on 17th April so that gives me about 17 weeks of training. As I said I do have some races booked in which I could use as training prep.

I have done 2 Olympic distance races and 6 sprints over the past couple of years. To give a rough idea of fitness level my long run this weekend will be around 14km and I normally turbo for around 1 hour 40 mins.

I think I'll be able to do around 8-10 hours training a week, provided I can get the family on board.

So what do you think????????

Well, that sounds like you've got a really good base from which to build your run and bike training. If you were able to maintain those levels through mid-April and then build from there, then I'd think you'd be able to finish, especially if you aren't trying for time and just want to cross the finish line. If you don't train at all, it's hard to know how much that will set you back and what your starting point will be.

I'm like you in that I don't have a ton of time to train. I'm sure that my weekly training would top out at 12 hours and most of it will be more like the 8-10 hours per week that you mentioned. I've read through some 70.3 training plans and read plenty of articles and it seems like a lot of them want you to train 15+ hours a week, but I just don't have that kind of time.

I think if you approach the race as just one to complete and are able to exercise some discipline in pacing yourself right, then I don't see a reason why you couldn't be ready. Thoughts from others?
2017-03-19 1:06 PM
in reply to: #5215921

User image

Go for it Tony. Keep your base out. Most plans are about 20 weeks so you may have to shave some. Your not starting from zero and you may be ablegally to get a couple runs in on vacation. Maybe find a 10k or half where your vacation is to have that time blocked.
2017-03-19 8:15 PM
in reply to: #5216252

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Summer's here!
I put off my run today until I had a nap after work this morning. I later regretted it. Temps hit a little over 80*F towards the end of my run and 86*F for a high. From running season right into melting season!
I hope everyone had a good weekend of training! It's a new week. Hit those goals!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41845 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38981 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."