BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2017-03-19 9:43 PM
in reply to: #5216272

User image

New user
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
This morning I ran the Irish double which is an 8k followed by a 5k. The 8k started out at 9:30 this morning. First mile clocked in at 7:25. Thinking ok, I'm feeling pretty good yet, lets see if I can hold this pace for another 4 miles. MIle splits went 7:23, 7:26, 7;26, 7:29. Not too bad and very happy with how I was able to maintain a constant pace for most of the race. My official time was 37:05. Nice!

At 11;30 the 5k went off and I'm already a bit sore. Warmed up and stretched the best I could. First mile 7:25. Good. Let's try to hold the pace for 2 more miles. 2nd mile 7:19. Not sure how that happened but I'll take it. 3rd mile was 7:29 and an official time of 23:08. About 2 minutes faster than last years irish double per race! Very happy with how I raced.

Next race is an indoor tri this coming Saturday. I tend to do rather well at this one mainly because the field is small, but an overall win is a win so I'm gunning for one.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Scott

2017-03-20 6:29 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

This morning I ran the Irish double which is an 8k followed by a 5k. The 8k started out at 9:30 this morning. First mile clocked in at 7:25. Thinking ok, I'm feeling pretty good yet, lets see if I can hold this pace for another 4 miles. MIle splits went 7:23, 7:26, 7;26, 7:29. Not too bad and very happy with how I was able to maintain a constant pace for most of the race. My official time was 37:05. Nice!

At 11;30 the 5k went off and I'm already a bit sore. Warmed up and stretched the best I could. First mile 7:25. Good. Let's try to hold the pace for 2 more miles. 2nd mile 7:19. Not sure how that happened but I'll take it. 3rd mile was 7:29 and an official time of 23:08. About 2 minutes faster than last years irish double per race! Very happy with how I raced.

Next race is an indoor tri this coming Saturday. I tend to do rather well at this one mainly because the field is small, but an overall win is a win so I'm gunning for one.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Scott

Fantastic job, Scott! Two minutes off per race is awesome, especially for a 5K!
2017-03-20 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99 This morning I ran the Irish double which is an 8k followed by a 5k...Very happy with how I raced...

Congrats on a great race and good luck this weekend!

2017-03-20 10:15 AM

User image

Outstanding!!! Impressive.....Congrats!!
2017-03-21 7:42 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Wow thats awesome Scott!

Nate
2017-03-21 8:44 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: BASE Performance

It's been announced that BASE Performance is sponsoring my next triathlon. They'll be supplying BASE Hydro and Electrolyte Salt on the bike and run then add their Amino on the run course. I've used Salt for a few years but never the Hydro or Amino. I can only find it in powder so not sure how they'll hand it out on the bike unless it's manufactured premixed in 24oz bottles just for races. Anyone have any experience with BASE?

2017-03-23 10:14 PM

User image

Subject: Goofy Challenge
Thinking about running the Goofy challenge in January. I have only done a half marathon so far. Have 2nd one next month. Maybe a full in November. I am at disney for a conference the week after so I would look super cool blinged out. Anyone ever do anything like this? Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Nate
2017-03-27 7:27 AM

User image

Subject: Longest brick during 70.3 training
Seems like this group has turned into a bit of a ghost town over the last month. Where's everybody at?! ;-)

I hit a bit of a tough stretch in the middle of the month where I only logged 1 workout in a span of 5 days, but I have since returned with a vengeance! I'm already ahead of my training totals for February (which also suffered from a similar gap in training) so I'm happy about that.

While I was on my bike trainer yesterday, I had some free time and my mind started thinking about my training plan for my first 70.3. We just barely started spring, so I haven't been doing much of anything for brick work. But I want to do more brick work this year to be better prepared for my races. I was hoping for some input for those of you that have done a 70.3 in the past (or are currently training for one).

My past races are only sprints and Olympics and I've never done more than 3 miles on a brick run. I was curious if those of you that have done a 70.3 could share what you've done as your longest brick run during your training for that race distance. Did you vary your brick run distance depending on the distance of your bike workout that was part of that same brick? I'm just wondering approximately where I should cap the brick distances, keeping in mind that this will be my first attempt at a 70.3.

Thanks! Hope everyone's training is going well!

Randy
2017-03-27 10:43 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Longest brick during 70.3 training

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Seems like this group has turned into a bit of a ghost town over the last month. Where's everybody at?! ;-) I hit a bit of a tough stretch in the middle of the month where I only logged 1 workout in a span of 5 days, but I have since returned with a vengeance! I'm already ahead of my training totals for February (which also suffered from a similar gap in training) so I'm happy about that. While I was on my bike trainer yesterday, I had some free time and my mind started thinking about my training plan for my first 70.3. We just barely started spring, so I haven't been doing much of anything for brick work. But I want to do more brick work this year to be better prepared for my races. I was hoping for some input for those of you that have done a 70.3 in the past (or are currently training for one). My past races are only sprints and Olympics and I've never done more than 3 miles on a brick run. I was curious if those of you that have done a 70.3 could share what you've done as your longest brick run during your training for that race distance. Did you vary your brick run distance depending on the distance of your bike workout that was part of that same brick? I'm just wondering approximately where I should cap the brick distances, keeping in mind that this will be my first attempt at a 70.3. Thanks! Hope everyone's training is going well! Randy

I would highly recommend using a training plan with all of that included. I've used a BT workout plans for all of my races including my half and full marathons. Yes, even the free ones. Take some time reading about the plans and find one that works for you. Let me know if you have any questions because I've done just about all of them in the 70.3 category in some fashion. 

To address your question. I only do a 30-60 minute run after my bike. And it's always an easy, easy run. Most of the time these are done on the end of long rides where my legs are going to be tired. Sometimes I'll do a run/bike/run just so my legs will be more stressed for the last run. It's hard to say what an overall time for a brick would be because it depending on your plan and what week of the plan you're in. If you have an aggressive plan where you're riding a three hour workout (56 miles ) in the last couple of months then your brick would be around 3:15 or 3:30 hrs total. For me the key is to run (easy) until you feel your "running legs". After 110 miles on the bike it takes me 40 minutes at least for me to get my land legs back, lol.

Another thing to consider is a swim/bike brick. I've found that after a long OWS my neck is tired from constantly sighting and from the stress of the race. Then, especially if you have a TT bike, you're having to hold your head up to see in aero position. My neck is spent towards the end of my bike in a race. 

2017-03-27 12:38 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Goofy Challenge
Originally posted by nrpoulin

Thinking about running the Goofy challenge in January. I have only done a half marathon so far. Have 2nd one next month. Maybe a full in November. I am at disney for a conference the week after so I would look super cool blinged out. Anyone ever do anything like this? Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Nate

Go for it Nate!!
2017-03-27 1:31 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Originally posted by rjchilds8
I was curious if those of you that have done a 70.3 could share what you've done as your longest brick run during your training for that race distance. Did you vary your brick run distance depending on the distance of your bike workout that was part of that same brick? I'm just wondering approximately where I should cap the brick distances, keeping in mind that this will be my first attempt at a 70.3.

My brick runs after a long ride (50-70 miles) have been only about 30 minutes, and as Monty said, just a slow, easy run to get my stride back.

I'm finally recovered from the plague and back training hard. Most of my winter weight gain is gone, thankfully. I'm heading off to an annual conference in San Francisco later this week. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some training it at the hotel facilities, but these conferences are pretty jam packed with lots of partying in the evenings, so we'll see.

I went on my first longish outside bike ride of the year on Saturday. It felt good to be outside, despite the rain and wind. However, for some reason, transitioning from the trainer to outside seems to cause back issues, so I'm dealing with that right now. I think it's the hills that do it, so I need to ease into it perhaps a bit more slowly, which might be difficult with me living on a mountain. But, it didn't stop me from an 8.6 mile run yesterday, also my longest of the year.

I don't recall if I posted in this group about a weird issue at my pool. I just recently started wearing my Garmin when swimming, and I discovered that I swim way slower in one direction than in the other, and there's a huge difference in stroke count (18 in one direction versus 23 in the other). Well, last night I finally had the pool to myself and was able to do some experimenting. The only swim lane is on the far left side of the pool, and there's where I always swim. However, since I had the pool to myself last night, I checked out the middle and far right sides of the pool, and discovered it takes about 19 strokes to swim either direction when I'm in the middle of the pool, and then 23 versus 18 when swimming in the far right side. It must have a circular current around the edge of the pool. The funny thing is I've been swimming at this pool for four years now, and I've never noticed a current before, although it felt like I swam faster in one direction than the other, but I always thought it was just in my mind. It wasn't until I saw the Garmin graph that I started questioning my assumptions. Anyway, interesting observation.

I hope y'all are having fun training!

2017-03-27 1:53 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

I would highly recommend using a training plan with all of that included. I've used a BT workout plans for all of my races including my half and full marathons. Yes, even the free ones. Take some time reading about the plans and find one that works for you. Let me know if you have any questions because I've done just about all of them in the 70.3 category in some fashion. 

To address your question. I only do a 30-60 minute run after my bike. And it's always an easy, easy run. Most of the time these are done on the end of long rides where my legs are going to be tired. Sometimes I'll do a run/bike/run just so my legs will be more stressed for the last run. It's hard to say what an overall time for a brick would be because it depending on your plan and what week of the plan you're in. If you have an aggressive plan where you're riding a three hour workout (56 miles ) in the last couple of months then your brick would be around 3:15 or 3:30 hrs total. For me the key is to run (easy) until you feel your "running legs". After 110 miles on the bike it takes me 40 minutes at least for me to get my land legs back, lol.

Another thing to consider is a swim/bike brick. I've found that after a long OWS my neck is tired from constantly sighting and from the stress of the race. Then, especially if you have a TT bike, you're having to hold your head up to see in aero position. My neck is spent towards the end of my bike in a race. 

I have reviewed some of the training plans that I could find online for free. I haven't pored over the workouts in details, but I've skimmed through them. I get the idea of following a training plan, but so many of them look like they require more of a time commitment then I am able to give. Plus, I find it hard to believe that these plans are generic enough to be the right kind of plan for everyone. The plan doesn't know my current fitness level, my limitations, my time restrictions, my goals, what injuries I've had in the past that might affect me, etc., etc. There are so many variables that go into "me" and my training. I'm not saying that nobody should use a plan, just that they should follow one that fits them, their body, and their personality.

I haven't seen any plans that really fit me, so I'm going my own way. I have a general plan mapped out with certain goals that have to be met each month. I adapt my week's training plan based on where I am at relative to my monthly goals and obviously the race distance. I've never biked the kind of distance needed for a 70.3, so it's going to be new territory. My gut feeling was that I would not go over 6 miles of running as part of any brick workout. I've completed a half marathon and am planning another one in early May. I feel like my run fitness will be primed by September for my 70.3. The key, obviously, is doing it after 56 miles on the bike and I felt like I would need to do some key bike/run brick workouts to make sure I had my body prepared on race day. I guess I'll play it by ear, but my initial plan was not to exceed 40/6 for a brick workout. I am also considering one or two swim/bike bricks, although I didn't do any last year and it didn't seem to hurt. For my two Olys last year, I never really had any neck pain after the swim and I have a road bike so maybe I'm not in an aero position as much as you are. Anyway, not criticizing anyone else's training, just saying what I believe works for me. I'm open to hearing feedback on where other people cap their brick workouts and opinions on 40/6.
2017-03-27 7:58 PM
in reply to: #5216278

User image

Sorry I haven't been on much but following on Garmin.

Ran into a hiccups due to vacation and then a tough work week with my wife out of town that prevented me from rinning or swimming most of the week. When she got back I did almost 19 miles of running in a weekend. Felt okay but having trouble now with tempo runs, can't hold my pace for the distance. A little annoying and a blow to my confidence coming upto my first couple races. But I could be in a worse place. I know others a experiencing the same. Don't think our sponsors will drop us, and I'm still the coolest tri dad in the my house.

Month I have no experience with BASE.

Casa is your pool in the Bermuda triangle? Ask other at your pool. Try to free time to see if it a Garmin thing. No other thoughts.

Randy since you asked I think those brick workouts will be great for you especially with all the cramp issues you have had in the past. Did that pickle juice stuff help? My impression is nutrition and electrolytes are more challenging for a 70.3, but I don't have a frame of reference.

Signed up for Disney Goofy challenge in January. Found a friend to share the pain with.

Time to get on the bike
2017-03-27 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by nrpoulin ...My impression is nutrition and electrolytes are more challenging for a 70.3...

I would like to second this. Without the right nutrition/hydration in place no workout plan will matter.

2017-03-27 9:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin ...My impression is nutrition and electrolytes are more challenging for a 70.3...

I would like to second this. Without the right nutrition/hydration in place no workout plan will matter.

I never ended up using the pickle juice in a race. I had actually used it to try to help with cramps I was getting in the arches of my feet when I went to the pool. I tried for at least a month to drink some before going to the pool, but it never seemed to help. I'm pretty much convinced that it's going to happen regardless of circumstances. It happens to me even at the sprint distance. My hope is that enough brick workouts will train my body to better handle the transition and maybe avoid the calf cramps.

But I agree that I'm going to have to nail my nutrition. I've got paragraphs from no fewer than a dozen articles I've found on the topic and I've somewhat averaged the advice across those articles and come up with a plan to take in enough carbs and electrolytes (focusing on sodium and potassium) to properly fuel myself. Obviously, I'll be testing that plan in training and in my Oly in July to see how well it is working. But I've at least mapped out how much to take in each hour as a starting point and I'll tweak it from there depending on how effective that plan is.

I had at least 5 free 70.3 training plans that I had downloaded off the internet. I went through them tonight and they are all over the map with the distances in the brick workouts. I think the max was a 3 hour bike ride followed by approximately 8-9 miles of running depending on your pace. The shortest I believe was a 2 or 2.5 hour bike followed by a 7 mile run. So there is a fairly broad range of distances across the various plans. My plan of 40/6 would be closer to 2.5 hours at a little under race pace on the bike, so it falls at the lower end of the spectrum. I'll see how my body is responding to the training load. If I seem to be handling things OK, then I will consider at least increasing the run to 7, possibly extending both bike and run to maybe 45/7 or 45/8.
2017-03-28 12:10 PM
in reply to: #5216955

User image

Seems pretty solid. I need to research salt tabs and electrolyte solutions. Not sure if I will need during a marathon. I can drop 2 lbs of water in a 10 mile run, so I'm thinking yes. I use GU and roctane with lutes but don't know if that's enough

2017-03-28 1:17 PM
in reply to: #5216994

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Ive never used it by co workers have said positive things about an anti cramping cream/spray called phuel. Currently its only sold on their website but it may be worth a shot if you cramp a lot.
2017-03-28 1:51 PM

User image

Seems pretty solid. I need to research salt tabs and electrolyte solutions. Not sure if I will need during a marathon. I can drop 2 lbs of water in a 10 mile run, so I'm thinking yes. I use GU and roctane with lutes but don't know if that's enough

I don't have the white residue of salt from sweat when I workout, but I know that I sweat quite a bit during exercise. So I'm thinking that the volume of sweat means that I'm losing more electrolytes than average. Right now, I have set an initial plan of taking in about 32 oz of water (16 oz mixed with Gatorade Endurance, 16 oz with Nuun tablets) per hour plus one gel and a few chomps. All of this will deliver about 320 calories, 75g of carbs, and about 1400 mg of electrolytes (~1000 sodium, ~400 potassium). With the exception of the carb total, these numbers all seem to fit into the average of the dozen or so articles I've reviewed on fueling strategies. The electrolyte total is more towards the upper end, but that was by design. I can reduce that carb number by drinking more of my water/Nuun tablet mix and less of the Gatorade Endurance. The Nuun tablets don't have any carbs, they are all electrolytes. I'll lose some calories, but also won't be taking in the extra carbs. Almost every article agreed on 30-60 g of carbs per hour and at least one article said the body couldn't absorb much more than 60 g per hour, so any extra is essentially useless.

I still have time to tweak the plan, but that's what I've worked out as a starting point. Obviously, I'll then have to see how that works during training. But I've taken all of these products in smaller amounts during training runs or rides and I have not had any issues. So unless there is some kind of weird interaction between the products, then I should be fine.

I'm open to having people comment on my proposed plan, so feel free to tell me where I might be going wrong. ;-)
2017-03-28 1:54 PM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

Originally posted by Time2TriHard

Ive never used it by co workers have said positive things about an anti cramping cream/spray called phuel. Currently its only sold on their website but it may be worth a shot if you cramp a lot.

Thanks, but I'm really skeptical about products that claim to "solve" cramping. I bought into the pickle juice after my brother seemed to think it was working for him during his obstacle course races. But it did jack squat for me! I was curious about this "Hot Shot" product, but various posts I've read have given it mixed reviews. I think I'm better off focusing on training my body to be better prepared for the run off the bike. Better training and better pacing on race day are my current prescription.
2017-03-29 7:40 AM
in reply to: #5217001

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
I would be interested in checking out your sources because you're considerably over in everything I've read and do. I'm not saying my article is right and yours is wrong I'm just saying we're way off. But, the only way to know what works for you is to put it to the test.
One note about adding salt. I would insure all hydration and nutrition were in place and tested prior to adding an additional salt mixes. Make sure you're not over or under hydrating first.
Here's a good read:
http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/essential-knowledge/10-big...
2017-03-29 7:54 AM

User image

New user
Watford
Subject: ---
Hi all,

As I'm on holday for a couple of weeks I thought I'd take some benchmarking timings before I can, and then repeat the exercise when I get back. That way I can tell exactly how much fitness I lose through excessive eating and drinking.

Swim - I did 4 x 400m with 2 min rest between. timings were 7:35, 7:53, 8:01 & 7:49

Bike - On the Watt bike 30mins covered 19197 at around 1:33kpm.

Run - will be done tomorrow but I expect it to be 5k at 25:30.

Hope to do some running in Cape Town. Also just heard Ironman SA is on this weekend, so might catch some on TV.

Happy training all.

2017-03-29 12:43 PM

User image

I would be interested in checking out your sources because you're considerably over in everything I've read and do. I'm not saying my article is right and yours is wrong I'm just saying we're way off. But, the only way to know what works for you is to put it to the test.
One note about adding salt. I would insure all hydration and nutrition were in place and tested prior to adding an additional salt mixes. Make sure you're not over or under hydrating first.
Here's a good read:
http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/essential-knowledge/10-big...

Some of the articles don't include the link, so I can't say for sure where they came from. But numerous articles (for which I have the link) are from triathlon.competitor.com (Triathlete magazine's website). I'm attempting to attach a Word document with all of the paragraphs/bits of advice that I've grabbed from articles over the last couple years.

I scanned through the article from the link you provided. While it gives a lot of advice, it fails to give much in the way of raw numbers other than recommended fluid ounces to drink and grams of carbs. I was hoping you would share the numbers you are using for fluid volume, calories, carbs, and electrolytes on an hourly basis for your 70.3 racing.

Thanks!

Randy

Attachments
----------------
Triathlon Nutrition Plan.docx (25KB - 5 downloads)
2017-03-29 6:10 PM
in reply to: #5217040

User image

Definitely have more activity in the forum! Where do you guys buy all this stuff?
2017-03-29 7:48 PM

User image

Definitely have more activity in the forum! Where do you guys buy all this stuff?

I buy pretty much all of my nutrition stuff from Amazon. I've done some comparison shopping and their prices are pretty much the same as any other web site, but we have Amazon Prime so I get "free" 2-day shipping. I might be able to find products for $1 or $2 less, but when you add in the shipping it ends up being more, so I just stick with Amazon. I get my gels, chomps, Nuun tablets, and Gatorade Endurance all from one place, which makes shopping easy!
2017-03-29 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Randy, I'll put together some numbers and try to get them posted tomorrow sometime. I just went back on shift at work, the clothes dryer broke, training, wife time, blah, blah, blah...  LOL

I buy almost everything on Amazon. Being a prime member there's no shipping so it's usually cheapest online.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41239 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38374 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."