BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2017-04-16 12:29 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed

Originally posted by nrpoulin Manage to cracking the screen on my garmin. Anyone have experience with a repair?

Seems like I've watched videos on YouTube with people replacing screens. But I agree, call Garmin. My HR reading was messing up and I called them to help me troubleshoot if it was my watch or the monitor. They shipped me a free replacement HR monitor. 

The altimeter on mine is messing up again. Something that's very common with the 910XT it seems. Nothing like a 61,000 ft gain on a bike ride!!

2017-04-17 11:24 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

It's so humid today I think I'll count that run as a swim!

2017-04-17 8:13 PM

User image

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

It's so humid today I think I'll count that run as a swim!

Lol!!!!
2017-04-18 8:56 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Put in request to Garmin, will see what they say. Of course I have a race this weekend...

Nate
2017-04-18 12:51 PM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Put in request to Garmin, will see what they say. Of course I have a race this weekend...

Nate

Best of luck! Did you call or send a request in via email? I've found calling moves the process a little quicker....
2017-04-20 2:41 PM
in reply to: #5208205

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Shoes!
I'm making a gutsy move and buying new/different shoes 4.5 weeks from my race. I've have another bad experience with my current shoe. Pain only starts after about 1.5-2 hours of running and seems like it effects mostly my left side. The bottom of my foot has recovered but pain in my left calf is still there. Icing and stretching a lot. Don't think it's anything serious because this is the second time only with this shoe. Not going to risk running in them again. This will be my third $130+ pair this training cycle. No longer short on casual sneakers. ??

2017-04-20 8:01 PM
in reply to: #5218770

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Hey i meant to post my race report a few weeks ago but forgot so here goes...

The swim was in a 300m indoor swim. It was in a 50m pool and ive done all my training in a 25yd pool. I didnt realize how big a difference the length of the pool would make. I was gassed after like 1.5 laps even though ive swam the overall distance several times prior. After the 1st lap i seriously questioned if i could finish the swim. I reverted to swimming with my head above water cause due to panicing i was having trouble breathing.

After i finished the dreadful swim i came to my other big dissappointment. Pre race i had safety pinned my bib across my jersey zipper. After struggling getting the jersey on for a minute i unpinned one side, put it on then repinned the bib.

The bike was about 13 miles. It went pretty well for my lack of biking so far this season. I averaged about 18.5 mph for the bike. It was good enough for 19th of 80 people even though my bike is pretty low end for a road bike.

Transition 2 was pretty uneventful but i was feeling pretty tired at that point and my legs were pretty dead.

The run was a pretty flat course just over 3 miles around the Purdue campus. I had a pretty solid but unspectacular run. I ran about a 22 minute and 25 second run, which was good enough for 9th on the run.

Overall i finished in 1:14:50 and 19th overall (2nd of 4 in my ag). Still got a lot of progress to make but i was okay with how it went. The 1st transition miatake alone prolly cost me 2 places and over a minute. Just need to take it as a learning experience and opportunity to improve.

2017-04-20 8:03 PM
in reply to: #5218790

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
My bad out of 90 people
2017-04-20 9:49 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Shoes!

I'm making a gutsy move and buying new/different shoes 4.5 weeks from my race. I've have another bad experience with my current shoe. Pain only starts after about 1.5-2 hours of running and seems like it effects mostly my left side. The bottom of my foot has recovered but pain in my left calf is still there. Icing and stretching a lot. Don't think it's anything serious because this is the second time only with this shoe. Not going to risk running in them again. This will be my third $130+ pair this training cycle. No longer short on casual sneakers. ??

I might be in the same boat, Monty. I bought new running shoes at the start of the season, but lately I find myself going back to the old pair I was wearing last year. The new shoes are probably a half size too small. They are fine for shorter runs, but anything over 5 miles and it causes issues with my toes. They get crammed into the front of the shoe and I get blisters or the skin around the nails gets squished and then gets painful. I'm 99% certain I will just use those as casual shoes and got back to my running store and get a better fitting pair. I might even get the same shoe, just in a half size bigger! Good luck!
2017-04-20 9:51 PM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

Originally posted by Time2TriHard

Hey i meant to post my race report a few weeks ago but forgot so here goes...

Other than your struggle on the swim and the snafu in T1, it sounds like it was a really good race. The beauty of it is that it gives you something to work on and to keep you focused. Nice job!
2017-04-20 10:09 PM
in reply to: #5218791

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Yeah i really got to work on the swim. Im pretty competitive in the other areas but just not a good swimmer. Id like to get a swim coach but have had trouble finding one in the area

2017-04-21 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Time2TriHard Hey i meant to post my race report a few weeks ago but forgot so here goes...  

Good job on hanging in there! And good race!

Sorry but I laughed a little over the bib number. I did that at the house before a bike ride once. 

2017-04-21 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: from 140.6 to 70.3

After four months of training for a Full 140.6 mile triathlon and only a little over four weeks away from race day I've decided to drop down to the Half 70.3 distance. I've really struggled with motivation although my volume of training has been on target. But coming off a rough night shift run unable to sleep and having to buy new shoes due to some leg and foot pain I just can't push myself at the volume needed right now. It's bittersweet. 

2017-04-22 5:17 PM

User image

Subject: RE: from 140.6 to 70.3

After four months of training for a Full 140.6 mile triathlon and only a little over four weeks away from race day I've decided to drop down to the Half 70.3 distance. I've really struggled with motivation although my volume of training has been on target. But coming off a rough night shift run unable to sleep and having to buy new shoes due to some leg and foot pain I just can't push myself at the volume needed right now. It's bittersweet. 

Sorry to hear that Monty. Good luck!
2017-04-22 7:29 PM
in reply to: #5218797

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Still early in the season, no reason to burn yourself out. Keep up the hard work and youll crush the 70.3
2017-04-24 1:32 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
I seem to be in the same boat with others concerning shoes. I have two pair I bought last year, and I alternated between them, but I was never really happy with either pair. The first, which is my second pair of Hokas, were just kind of stiff and uncomfortable, and the insert in one of them kept sliding up the back of the shoe, no matter what I did. The second pair, Sauconys, were great, but not very high quality. The backs broke down really fast, and now whenever I wear them, I have to use a screwdriver to pull the padding back into place so it doesn't cause blisters. Since I live so far away from civilization, I haven't had an opportunity to go shoe shopping yet this year, so I usually revert to my first pair of Hokas, now three years old and probably more than 1,000 miles on them, but still comfortable, despite looking like a dog's chew toys. Hopefully, next weekend, after the Lilac Century Ride, I'll have a chance to hit up REI or Runner's Soul.

So, training's going well. In addition to the Lilac Century Ride, which will be my fourth time participating, but my first at the fifty-mile distance, I have the Bloomsday 12K Run coming up the following weekend. It's one of the top ten running races in the US, with about 50,000 people participating. I'm hoping to cut a few minutes off my time last year, and I'm pretty sure I can. And then I've got the Troika Tri coming up after that. I'm in a new age group this year and have decided to level up to the Olympic distance. It'll be interesting. I've always done really well at the Sprint distance, but the longer distances not so much.

Wasn't there someone in this group competing in Ironman Texas?

2017-04-24 8:21 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I did Ironman Texas last year. My cousin runs the fire station in The Woodlands and always works the race but he took off to be with his kids so I didn't get any info from him. It's sad to hear. I don't know if they've found or released cause of death but it would be interesting to know. Also, it sounds like the volunteer group did a really good job at getting to him and getting out of the water. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/23/texas-athlete-dies-during-swimming-portion-ironman-competition.html

2017-04-24 8:45 PM

User image

Subject: HM race report
here is my report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

The forecast called for thunderstorms and wind speed of 15 mph with gusts to 26. Fortunately that did happen. It was cool and drizzling when the gun went off but no thunder and lightening.

My plan was based off a 8:20 pace. I missed a few workouts and tri training and all, I had trouble hitting splits in some workouts and missed others. I adjusted my expectations down. I tapered for two weeks per my plan. My seed time from last year put me in coral A and I went out at 8:10 and settled into an 8:20. I had wanted to go out slower but I was afraid to get into a windy area and have no one to draft off. I felt pretty comfortable at 8:20 and ran that pace for the first 7 miles. My right foot went numb/burning at mile 5. The course was nice and meandered along the bay and thru tidal wetlands. There wasn't much wind and I cut good tangents on the roads. In the back of my mind I always thought I wouldn't be able to hold this pace for 13.1. I hit the 10k and My split was 51:26 (8:17 pace). Mile 8 and 9 i slowed to an 8:30 pace. This area opened up and we hit the first really strong wind. I held myself back to draft on someone who seemed to want to take the wind. I didn't feel winded by my legs felt heavier and less responsive. I decided to walk thru water at mile 9, and drank two gatorades. After mile 10 we were off road on some gravel roads and sandy trails. a few rolling hills. I really struggled during this 4 miles with splits of 8:55, 9:03, 9:11, and 9:40. I opened it up for the last 0.1 for a 1:52:45 chip time. I beat my revised goal time but I think that is part of my problem. I think I set my expectations and preformed to them, and talked myself out of the race at mile 9 when I decided to walk thru the water station.

Would I think my taper was to long also. Probably shorten to 7-10 days. Increase my last long run from 6 miles to 10 but move it up in the week (instead of Sunday). I think more mental toughness and finishing hard runs are needed. I also have to get my orthotic fixed.
2017-04-24 9:53 PM

User image

Subject: RE: HM race report
Originally posted by nrpoulin

here is my report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Nice job, Nate! Believe me, after running my first half in near hurricane conditions, I know what that's like! Keep up the good work and it'll all fall into place.
2017-04-24 10:02 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: History repeats itself again
Well, this couldn't have happened at a more inopportune time. My wife "volunteered" my time as an assistant coach on my son's baseball team. On Saturday morning, we had the first practice of the season. We started with some light stretching exercises and as I was reaching for my toes, the head coach (I'm sure to the kids) said "who can reach their toes?". I guess I took that as a challenge, despite the 40 degree temperature and early morning time, and couldn't help but try to actually reach my toes. That was all it took. I wrenched my back and I've been on the disabled list ever since. Well, at least in terms of running.

I've been in pretty bad pain ever since. I was supposed to run 11 miles on Saturday as my final long run before my half marathon in less than 2 weeks. But I couldn't even make 2 tenths of a mile and I had to to turn back. Just for the heck of it, I tested myself with a bike ride on Sunday. Surprisingly, the bike didn't bother my back and I logged a 32-mile ride. I really want to get some running workouts in between now and my half, but I'll settle on bike rides if I have to.

It just burns that last year I suffered an ankle sprain only a week before my first ever half marathon. Now, attempting my second HM and hoping for a possible PR, I have this setback and am missing key workouts. Based on how I feel today, I think my back injury is only minor and I'll be healed up before my race. But I'm going to have to lower my expectations. Given that it's less than 2 weeks before the race, a PR is out of the question. That's just how my luck goes!

R.
2017-04-25 7:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: History repeats itself again

Good job, Nate! Congrats!   Edit: And nice ranking, btw!!

Yikes, Randy! Stay positive, you might surprise yourself. There's not a log gained or lost in the last two weeks. If you don't have any get some back stretches/exercises. Maybe even see a chiropractor. 

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2017-04-25 7:36 AM

2017-04-26 12:21 PM

User image

Yikes, Randy! Stay positive, you might surprise yourself. There's not a log gained or lost in the last two weeks. If you don't have any get some back stretches/exercises. Maybe even see a chiropractor. 

It has been a tough few days. Things are slowly improving. I threw caution to the wind last night and went out for a "run". I use that term loosely because I wasn't exactly burning it up out there. I managed to grind out 4.3 miles. There was some discomfort and dull pain in my lower back, but for the most part I was able to handle it. I did have two instances while running up a steeper hill that I got a sharp, shooting pain in the lower left quadrant of my back that literally stopped me in my tracks. As long as I took it easy and stayed as vertical as possible, the hill wasn't an issue. But when I tried to lean into it, that's when I got that sharp pain.

The good news was that I was no worse for the wear this morning. While I don't see much improvement, my condition certainly didn't worsen since yesterday. So despite feeling the pain/discomfort, it doesn't seem to have aggravated the original injury. In fact, my back seems to hurt the most after prolonged periods of sitting. Unfortunately, I have a desk job, which means that is unavoidable.
2017-04-26 6:08 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by rjchilds8

It has been a tough few days.

Hang in there, Bro!

Our weather here is OUT OF CONTROL! We had T-storms and hail this morning followed by 35-40 mph north winds all day. 30 mph winds expected until Friday then severe T-storms expected all weekend. And, I just started the first of seven 12 hr days at work. I'm sure glad I dropped to the 70.3 because I'm not sure when I can get in bikes and runs. 

2017-04-27 7:01 AM

User image

Randy sorry to hear about your back. That really sucks. Hope it starts feeling better soon. I like to do the "cobra snake" stretch. Kinda like the upper pushup position but your legs and pelvis stay on the ground. Typically helps when I tweak something.

Nate
2017-04-27 10:13 AM
in reply to: #5208205

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
If you put your hands on your hips, is the pain on the bony structure where your thumb is? Or is the pain coming from the muscular structure that runs parralel with the spine? If the pain is worse after prolonged sitting, posture could certainly be a cause for the pain.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41579 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38743 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."