BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2017-01-06 2:41 PM
in reply to: mistercdub

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

Originally posted by mistercdub Hi Chris, I would like to join the group and think you and this group will be great for me. I live in the Metro Detroit area, in my late 50's, married with one adult child. In January of 2016, I weighed somewhere in excess of 450 lbs. I am not sure how much over as my scale only goes to 450. Today I am at 339 and looking to continue my weight loss. I have always wanted to compete in a triathlon but have never been ready. I completed a 5K last September but walked a majority of it. My goal for this year is to compete in a Super Sprint in June followed by Sprints in July and August. Unfortunately the season is limited in Michigan. I like to swim and bike. The run will be my struggle. My plan is to join a fitness facility by my office and begin swim and elliptical workouts. I have a stationary bike at home and will use that until the weather permits outdoor riding. I have started filling out my training log so you will be able to see my progress. I am hoping to drop below 300 before moving from the elliptical to the run to limit joint impact. My target to get there is end of March. Think that is more than enough info for now but am really looking forward to being part of this group! Thanks for being a Mentor and investing in our Success! Have a great day! Carl

Hi Carl. You're in!

It looks like you are doing amazing things in your life.

I think your plan of staying on the elliptical for a while longer is the way to go. Stay consistent with the 30 minute bike workouts and try to swim at least 2x per week once you join your fitness facility. Keep us posted on your progress and feel free to jump in with any topics or questions.

2017-01-06 2:43 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: A-Race

I've decided my "A" race for 2017 will be Toughman SC on September 30th, the 70.3 distance. So if anyone is looking for a late season half ironman in the southeast give this one some consideration. It would be great to meet a few folks in person and do a race together.

Anyone else have their key races nailed down? What are your plans for 2017?

2017-01-06 11:04 PM

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Subject: RE: A-Race
Carl sounds like your are making an amazing transformation! Keep up the hard work!
2017-01-07 1:24 PM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

Thanks! Looking forward to what is in store this year!
2017-01-07 3:03 PM

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
I agree it would be pretty cool to do a race together but 70.3 is probably a bit too far for me this year. I seen a few of yall live in Georgia and I'm about 3 hours from the northern GA line, so maybe it'd be possible to meet up at some point. Not sure how far chattanooga would be for you guys but it looks like they have a sprint and olympic race in late June I'm considering doing.
2017-01-07 5:19 PM

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Unfortunately didn't get a chance to get my long run in today. Worked most of the daylight hours and by the time I got off the gym was closed. Going to get it in tomorrow though which should be fine because I get my wisdom teeth out Monday so will have to take time off due to that anyways.

2017-01-07 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Time2TriHard Unfortunately didn't get a chance to get my long run in today. Worked most of the daylight hours and by the time I got off the gym was closed. Going to get it in tomorrow though which should be fine because I get my wisdom teeth out Monday so will have to take time off due to that anyways.

Unfortunately it was the same with me. Temps in the 30's and drizzling rain and wind. No thanks.

2017-01-07 6:35 PM

Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by Time2TriHard Unfortunately didn't get a chance to get my long run in today. Worked most of the daylight hours and by the time I got off the gym was closed. Going to get it in tomorrow though which should be fine because I get my wisdom teeth out Monday so will have to take time off due to that anyways.

Unfortunately it was the same with me. Temps in the 30's and drizzling rain and wind. No thanks.

Could be worse. We have single digit temps and wind chills below zero. 30's sound good!
2017-01-07 6:46 PM
in reply to: mistercdub

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
haha yea i could handle the 30's. its below 20 here today with below 10 wind chill! Us southerners dont handle the cold that well.
2017-01-08 12:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was right there with y'all on the cold and time limitations, but can proudly say that for the first time in a long time I forced myself to do 30 minutes on the trainer (I hate trainers) to make sure I did something. Small accomplishment but one none the less. Now tomorrow it's try to get in a cold run and then off to the lake for some kayaking and fingers crossed a few nice bass!
2017-01-08 12:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
edited to deleted double post

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2017-01-08 12:08 AM

2017-01-08 8:07 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete I was right there with y'all on the cold and time limitations, but can proudly say that for the first time in a long time I forced myself to do 30 minutes on the trainer (I hate trainers) to make sure I did something. Small accomplishment but one none the less. Now tomorrow it's try to get in a cold run and then off to the lake for some kayaking and fingers crossed a few nice bass!

Awesome! Kayak fishing, my other hobby! I hope to get more use out of mine this year, only had it out twice all of 2016.

2017-01-08 12:34 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts

I've decided my "A" race for 2017 will be Toughman SC on September 30th, the 70.3 distance. So if anyone is looking for a late season half ironman in the southeast give this one some consideration. It would be great to meet a few folks in person and do a race together.

I pretty much have my whole season mapped out! LOL My "A" race is my first attempt at the 70.3 distance. I've already signed up for the Big George in Lake George, NY on September 3rd.

I'm also planning on 2 sprints in mid- to late-June and then an Oly in early July. The only wrench in my plans is that the second sprint is the race my brothers and I are trying to all do together. The problem is that my younger brother will verbally commit to doing things and then back out, so my fear is that he won't train and then 3 weeks before the race will say he isn't ready. My older brother and I may do that race anyway, or we may decide to do a sprint later in the year. Anyway, 3 of 4 races are written in stone and one comes with an asterisk. ;-)
2017-01-08 7:16 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: Hey
Hey everyone I'm Nate.

I have been in this group with Chris for the last few years with Randy, Scott, and Tony

This will be my fourth season doing Triathlon. I try to to an event a month from April thru October to keep me motivated.

I ran cross country and track thru high school and college and continued running for about two years after college. I when I started med school I stopped running and really just played pickup basketball, soccer and ultimate frisbee for fitness activities. I then did a surgical residency and trauma fellowship during which I would periodically try to start running again but would stop after a month. After being in practice for a year and realizing I was 215 lbs @ 5'10" had borderline blood pressure, and cholesterol I decided it was do or die time. I started biking and swimming and slowly added running in. At some point I google triathlon to see if there were any of "those thing" near me and then I was hooked. In 2014 I did my first race, and quickly signed up for 3 more. Last season I did 5 races in the Setup Events NC triathlon series and took fourth for my age group which was my goal for the season. I am really a middle of the pack guy but planned races well to get points. I also completed my first half marathon. I am also proud to have gotten my wife into running and she did her first race and it was a half marathon and she crushed it. We have 3 kids ages 8, 4, and 2. They have a number of activities from gymnastics to Lacrosse. So with work and family training often times takes a back seat or is done in very off hours.

I have done very little since my HM in November and my wife has been traveling due to some medical issues her family is experiencing. My weight has creeped back up from 185 to 200. My wife likes the 21 day fix workouts which we are doing together right now on top of my tri training.

Goals for 2017 season is largely to stay healthy and fit, improve performance, log 1k miles running, and have fun!

Will post a race schedule and some thoughts on other post later.
2017-01-08 7:19 PM

User image

I created a google calendar for our local club and put this race on for everyone. I am hoping that Toughman revitalizes all the races that Ironman has abandoned.
2017-01-08 7:43 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Originally posted by rjchilds8

Welcome back Randy!

I can't wait to see what you can accomplish this year. What race are you doing for your half in September?

My original plan was to do the Timberman Half up in New Hampshire. Then I found out about a month ago that they had discontinued the race! I ended up choosing the Big George Triathlon in Lake George, NY. I had pretty much decided on it and then found out that my tri club was planning to make that the club event in 2017, so that sealed the deal for me. It's a beautiful area and my mother and brothers only live about 45 minutes away, so I'm hoping to have a decent cheering section at the finish line. :-)

Really puzzled at why they dropped that race. Seemed to have good community support and drew some big names.

2017-01-08 8:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

A few questions about equipment for people new to triathlon. My two cents

Swim - Jammers are nice but ultimately optional until you commit. Especially if your first event is a pool swim. I did feel the $20-30 investment was worth while and help correct some body position issues. Goggles are a must. I use Nike Remoras they are cheep and I like them better and they held up better than the more expensive PsyOps I tried. Will need a place to swim

Run - shoes

Bike - I used a friends bike for half of my first season, biked on a stationary at the gym. You need a helmet

overall - got thru the first season with a pair of tri shorts only. Would run and bike with a tee shirt. Used my tri short for the bike training when I would actually ride and still use them on the trainer. I like desoto tri shorts and bought last season version. Sun glasses are also a must in my opinion.

Randy you asked about pedals. I like my speed play zeros and have used the shimano SPD in the past. I have mid level specialized carbon bike shoes.

Although I like the desoto stuff I have trialed 1 piece kits and haven't liked them as much. Last year my tri group got kits and I used it but didn't like it as much. This year I plan to go back to tri shorts and I am going to put on a full zip bike top.

Edited by nrpoulin 2017-01-08 8:13 PM
2017-01-08 8:13 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin

I created a google calendar for our local club and put this race on for everyone. I am hoping that Toughman revitalizes all the races that Ironman has abandoned.

Welcome back, Nate! Now we are only missing Cassandra and Monty I believe from the "regulars"

So I can expect to see you in Greenwood on Sept. 30th?

2017-01-08 8:20 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Subject: Season schedule
Plotted this out last night. Haven't registered but this is my plan

4/9 Granite Falls Sprint
4/21 Flying Pirate Half Marathon
5/13 Beaverdam Olympic
6/24 Carolina Beach Double
7/9 Rev3 Olympic in Williamsburg
8/19 Washington Olympic
10/1 Sandling Beach 50
11/11 OBX Half Marathon

I would also like to do SwimRun NC or SwimRun VA. Need to find a partner for this
2017-01-08 9:20 PM

I'm considering doing the Chattanooga waterfront sprint tri as well. I was in Chattanooga last year at the same time as the race before I even considered a triathlon. It was such an awesome energy and pretty neat. The only thing that worries me is the open water swim in the river. I wish we would have went to the waterfront to see the start.

Emily
2017-01-09 6:54 AM

hello all,

I would like to join this group.

About me:
I'm Bert, 33 years old, currently residing in France. 3 Daughters (7 and 2yo twins) 1 wife 1 dog.

Sport:
When I moved to France in 2010 I started trail running. I have done a 32km +2500m race yearly until 2014. In 2015 I did a relay triathlon with colleagues and ever since I wanted to do a full triathlon. My first was planned for 2016 but due to circumstances I didn't get around to doing one and haven't trained since august (except a bit of swimming).

Goals:
Finishing evergreen endurance 58 on sept 10th: https://www.evergreen-endurance.com/en/races/evergreen-58/
1500m swim, 52km +1500m ride, 13km +860m run

prep race:
sprint July 2nd individual start
maybe something in august

I'm trying to put together a training schedule. The most difficult is to get biking in my schedule. Running and swimming I do during my lunch break but and I only have time to do biking in the weekend.

Cheers

Ps I thought I had already posted in this thread yesterday but cannot find a trace of the essay I wrote so must have done something wrong.

2017-01-09 7:59 AM

User image

New user
Watford
Hi Chris.

I shall make it a new year resolution to post more.

As for the racing in the UK or more specifically Watford, which is just North of London it's a bit sparse.
There are a couple of very large TRIs - one at Blenheim Palace (Sprint only), one at the Excel which is called the London Triathlon and is the biggest in the country and another at Windsor, which I haven't done as it;s the same time a Blenheim.

There used to be another in London for the ITU races in Hyde Park (where the Olympic event was), but due to garden work it was moved to Leeds (some brothers called Brownlee presumably don't like to travel to London )

I feel a bit more confident now, so I might try and find some smaller events and maybe even a Duatherlon. You can hide in the larger events as it's more about finishing rather than a great time.

I'm also experimenting with a more ad-hoc training plan. The last couple of years I've downloaded plans (12 week to Olympic distance etc) and followed them very closely. This year I'm going to try and be a bit less restricted and whilst I'll still follow the basic divisions of events and time I'm going to try and introduce more bespoke training, that hopefully will get me fitter and quicker. I even bought my first Turbo training two weeks ago.

I promise I'll try and post more.

Thanks and keep up the good work, even if you don't hear from me it is appreciated.

Cheers from the UK.

Tony.
2017-01-09 8:47 AM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Welcome back, Nate! Now we are only missing Cassandra and Monty I believe from the "regulars"

So I can expect to see you in Greenwood on Sept. 30th?

Sadly I will not be doing a 70.3 this year. Gonna keep with the shorter stuff. As part of planning this season I created a race calendar for regional races and shared it with my local group. A couple of them are doing half and full distance races this year. I decided to hold off this year.

Nate
2017-01-09 12:19 PM

User image

"A" Race??!!!

I hope to just do A race!!!!

No activities over the weekend both by plan and necessity....had to make an overnight road trip Saturday and Sunday....so, will have to make up for it this week. Hopefully my swim today is not an indication of how it will be; awfully sluggish this morning.....oh well, back at it tomorrow.
2017-01-09 4:39 PM
in reply to: #5208205

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Completed an 11 mile long run yesterday in a temp of 20 degrees. It was my longest run to date and went pretty well for the first 9 but legs got super tired for the last 2. Back was super sore afterward. Gonna need a couple days off to recover from my wisdom teeth surgery today. Hope everyone else's training is going well!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41444 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38614 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."