BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2017-01-15 9:23 PM
in reply to: Racerboy000

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
That is awesome to hear about the weight loss Eric. Sounds like you have a solid schedule put together for the upcoming season. I myself am prepping for my first half marathon in a month and a half so hopefully I can join that club of half marathon finisher. Keep up the hard work man!

2017-01-16 7:10 AM
in reply to: Dominion

ooh you guys have been busy, I did my first run since august (shame on me) on Wednesday. average pace 5:38min/km. I was pretty soar the next 2 days which was to be expected.
I couldn't do the planned swim last week as I was on call and over the weekend there was a snow storm so no bike ride either.
Tomorrow I will hit the pool, unfortunately it is overcrowded making any sort of set or interval workout nearly impossible.

my first triathlon is about 24 weeks away and I'm thinking of doing the 20weeks run focused program and removing 1 bike ride. For the moment I cannot possibly fit 2 bike rides in my schedule. During school vacations I can bike to work which means in July and August I could switch to bike focused program to catch up a bit for my 'A' race beginning September. is this a sound plan?
2017-01-16 12:18 PM
in reply to: Racerboy000

User image

Subject: Gear setup
Celebrated my 40th birthday this weekend and missed a couple workouts (Friday and Saturday). So hard to start when you can't be consistent! Anyway I got a Garmin Edge cycle computer. This is a big upgrade from my Strava Catseye. I tried to mount it yesterday but couldn't event with the mounting accessories.

Standard mount on the Stem doesn't work because of the waist between the headset and stem.
The "out front mount doesn't work without moving my aerobars out significantly wider. I can't mount directly to the areobars because of the diameter of the bars is too small and can mount outside the areobars because the base bar has an oblong shape.

I see there are a number of after market mounting accessories. Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to keep my areobottle if possible.

Thanks
Nate
2017-01-16 3:33 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

Subject: RE: Gear setup
maybe not the most convenient place but on the top bar? I have seen it before but I wouldn't put it there if you look constantly at it
http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2014/03/25/1395779546335-1...
2017-01-16 6:36 PM
in reply to: bertjeivens

User image

Extreme Veteran
I know you said you tried it on the stem, but just making sure you tried it with the black plastic bands. It is really tight with them, but usually you can stretch them enough. Just making sure.
2017-01-16 8:00 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

I was thinking that perhaps I could build up the step enough such that the mounting disk would project out a bit so the disk and the garmin can mate to mount. Otherwise the wast on the stem prevents the garmin from touching.

Nate

2017-01-17 12:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Hi Chris,
I hope this group would be a good fit for me but please redirect me to another if not . If you think the mentor program is not the right place for me now, please let me know.

I started running in 2008 as a way to lose weight and later on moved into triathlons. I completed numerous 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons, 1 marathon and several sprint triathlons. I got healthy and lost weight. During a bike training ride in 2012, I crashed and shattered my ankle completely. After surgery with 8 screws and a metal plate implant, it took me a year and a half to be able to run a mile again. It was a slow road back. I got back to running, completed a sprint in 2015 to get me over the fear of biking again. Completed the NYC half marathon in 2016 but caused further damage to my ankle.
I had ankle surgery 13 months ago to remove the 8 screws and plate as well as the bone spurs I developed and cleaned out the arthritis I also developed.

I can't run anymore and find it difficult to walk any distance. I am at the point where my doctor and PT can't do anything else. I am not allowed to do a high impact activity EVER per doctors orders. Doc thinks swimming may help loosen my ankle so I can walk a couple of miles. My PT wants me to sign up for a summer bike ride or race, to motivate me to get on my bike.

Here I am after giving up on everything because I couldn't do what I love most, run.
I want to swim and bike and eventually walk to get back in shape and lose the weight I gained sitting on my butt. I don't plan on doing a triathlon but hope to do a summer bike event.

I have participated in previous mentor programs when training.
2017-01-17 1:24 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tracy, I for one and some freaking excited to she you back on BT and back at. I can tell everyone that this lady truly has been through a lot and always pushed through, which is what she's doing. Again, I can't express how excited I am to see you back. Question, you still running all over the place with those athletic kids?
2017-01-17 2:14 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Tracy, I for one and some freaking excited to she you back on BT and back at. I can tell everyone that this lady truly has been through a lot and always pushed through, which is what she's doing. Again, I can't express how excited I am to see you back. Question, you still running all over the place with those athletic kids?

Hey Todd. Great to see you on BT as well. Yes, I am still running all over with my boys but my oldest will be graduating high school this year.
I am back pursuing my masters degree as well. I have a full plate as usual.
2017-01-17 8:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

We're up to 18 now by my count, so I am closing the group. I think this is going to be a fun and active group this year. We have many new members who are already active and asking questions and interacting. We have a few that haven't been heard from since their introductory post but hopefully they will stay engaged and contribute as well. There are still a few former members who may show up and they of course are always welcome. This is the list as I have it. Hopefully I didn't miss anyone. If I did just let me know.  And welcome to our latest members racerboy000 - Eric, and Lovey - Tracy!

Dominion - Chris

Tony Abbott - Tony

scottjjmtri99- Scott

rjchilds8 - Randy

nrpoulin - Nate

Roys - Roy

Time2TriHard - Kurtis

joshwennes - Josh

emsley05- Emily

balm426 - Matt

HuntingTriathlete - Todd

2NewKnees - Bill

Geoff29610 - Geoff

mistercdub - Carl

bertjeivens - Bert

trei - Todd in Wisconsin

racerboy000 - Eric

Lovey - Tracy

Edited by Dominion 2017-01-17 8:24 AM
2017-01-17 9:39 AM

User image

Tracy....great to see you again!!! You hang in there and do as much as you can. I certainly appreciate the fact you are not to do high impact activities with your ankle. I in the same boat as you with my knee replacements. I did do a couple sprints in 2015 and walked the 5K portions of the events....perhaps that's an option for you.....

If not, I've done a little research on Aqua/Bike events....2 legs of a Tri for those that can't or choose not to run. I've been considering doing more research on those type events.

Regardless....welcome!!!!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2017-01-17 9:40 AM

2017-01-17 9:43 AM

Chesterfield, Virginia
Hey everyone,

I am excited to be apart of this group and thank you for your feedback thus far and your continued feedback. This will be my third week of training for my sprint at the end of April. You can check out my training log. I just did run-swim-bike friday-saturday-sunday and used yesterday as my rest day. My right calf cramped during mile 8 on the bike. Do you think because I am early on in my training I am over-training? That last thing I want to do is over-train and end up injured.

My proposed daily plan for the next few weeks.....Swim-Bike-Run-Rest-Swim-Bike-Run-Rest. Should I take more rest days or try to combine two into one day? Any feedback would help...most of you are way more experienced than I am.

Again, any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Geoff
2017-01-17 10:08 AM
in reply to: Geoff29610

User image

Sunday was a good day, hit 30 mins on the spin bike and 30 mins on the treadmill. Felt great after and still do. I missed yesterday thanks to a pretty intense ice storm(which shut down basically everything in the area including my job), but not for lack of trying. At 5:30 am I tried going to my gym(20 minute drive), got over half way there and couldn't make it up a curvy hill and was about a foot and a half away from sliding down a 75-100 foot ravine and was stuck right there. After about 15 minutes of waiting, a sand truck came by and dumped a bunch of sand next to me so I was able to spread that at my tires and get moving again, promptly right back home. Today the roads are still not good, so the gym will come after work. The plan is another 30 min spin and 30 min run!
2017-01-17 12:03 PM
in reply to: #5208205

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
Geoff, I think doing that training plan should be managable for you. To avoid over training just be careful to not increase your mileage more than 10% per week. Also be careful not to do two intense workouts on back to back days.
2017-01-17 12:06 PM
in reply to: #5210521

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Also be sure to get enough carbohydrates and fluids in your diet. Carbs are the primary source of energy while doing aerobic exercise.
2017-01-17 8:58 PM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Difference in bikes (training vs. racing)
As I was doing my bike workout on the trainer tonight, a question popped into my head. I keep my old/cheap road bike on my trainer for the winter months. It saves wear and tear on my newer bike and its wheels. But I started to wonder if I should be worried about the different geometry and fit between the two bikes. Does it matter if I train on one bike during the winter months, but then train and race on a different bike during the warmer months? Do I have to worry about differences in geometry having a negative impact (whether in potential for injury or possibly using slightly different allocation of muscles)? Or won't it make a difference an bike fitness is bike fitness, regardless of any other factors?

2017-01-17 9:35 PM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I everyone! Good looking group, Chris. 

Better late than never, I guess. My name's Monty. I'm returning to The Dominon's group for another season.

My background is swimming, into my early 30's. I started running for weight loss in my 40's. That 10 year gap was a killer! I started running local 5 and 10K's and did well in both, considering. Someone mentioned triathlon to me and a light turned on. I can do that! I want to try that!

In my first sprint I used my old mountain bike. The fat tires wouldn't fit in the rack they used so I tossed it on the ground at the end. During the race a guy FLEW by me on the bike and said, "Hang in there". Needless to say, my bonus check made the last payment on a new road bike. I had no idea what I was doing.

Fast forward 4-5 years. Now, my wife and I have an empty nest. We camp, fish, backpack, mtn bike, kayak, etc. I've got a few 70.3 mile tri's under my belt and finished my first full 140.6 in May 2016 at Ironman Texas right before I turned 50!

I've already started a training plan for the inaugural 140.6 mile Tri Fort Worth in May. Afterwards I plan on bridging over and doing the 70.3 Ironman Buffalo Spings in July. Then I plan on taking a break through the summer and finishing the season with an Olympic or two in the fall.

Although I mainly focus on long course I keep coming back to The Dominom because I always gain something from this group. 

2017-01-17 11:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Thanks for letting me be part of the group. Today was a slow but good start. I am easing into it.

Short walks and build up slowly with recovery time. I do 30 minutes.

Waiting on my new swimsuit, should be here tomorrow. Current one is worn out and the last time I tried wearing it at this stage, it did not end well at the pool. Yep, you can imagine.
I plan to do Swim Zero to 1 mile plan but will likely repeat each week so I don't overdo it.

http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html

Edited by Lovey 2017-01-18 1:37 AM
2017-01-18 2:03 AM

User image

New user
Watford
Hi all,

I've just started my second week training after Christmas, so I'm very much in the build phase.

I bought myself a very cheap Turbo over Christmas to try and improve my bike whilst the weather here in the UK is still poor.
So far I've been on it each weekend for about an hour and half - seems good but it's not the most comfortable training I've ever done. Certain parts, I won't go into details as it's a family audience tend to go quite numb after riding for 30 mins. I hope that this will get better the more I train.

All in all the turbo seems to be a success and for only £60. Last year I didn't start training on the bike until April other than spinning in the gym which isnt the same.

I'm very much in the base/build phase and I assume this should be working up to longer runs and cycles? I'm trying to add time to each session on a weekly basis - not too much just small increments.
Is that correct or should I worry less about time and more about technique. I'm thinking of trying to schedule both. So one day a long session and the next shorter and more technical.
I'm also doing weights/core twice a week in the gym.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments very welcome.

Thanks - Tony.

Edited by TonyAbbott 2017-01-18 2:04 AM
2017-01-18 6:40 AM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Was able to rig something to mount my new garmin. I think it will work for now. May decide to change my areo bottle to move computer forward, but figured I would try this for a while.

(WIN_20170117_23_51_01_Pro.jpg)

(WIN_20170117_23_50_52_Pro.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
WIN_20170117_23_51_01_Pro.jpg (1685KB - 5 downloads)
WIN_20170117_23_50_52_Pro.jpg (1768KB - 3 downloads)
2017-01-18 8:23 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Last night after work I hit a 30 minute spin bike and 30 minute treadmill run. Felt great. Today I was considering biking then lifting but convinced myself I needed the cardio more. Hit another 30 minute spin bike and 30 minute treadmill run. Again, awesome feeling. My run isn't at normal pace yet, hitting 2.9 miles in the 30 minutes. The bike is surprising me. in the 30 minutes I was on(spin bike, so may not be 100% accurate), I hit a little over 12 miles. I was really happy with that. Once the weather turns, we'll see what I can do on an actual bike trail. The weather sounds like it might get to the mid 40's this weekend and I might try and find a stretch of trail that is workable and actually run outside(so excited at that possibility!).

2017-01-18 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by nrpoulin

Was able to rig something to mount my new garmin. I think it will work for now. May decide to change my areo bottle to move computer forward, but figured I would try this for a while.

That is exactly what I was checking to see if you had tried, but never do a good job of explaining. When I had my TT bike I basically did the same thing.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2017-01-18 1:33 PM
2017-01-18 8:55 PM
in reply to: Lovey

Originally posted by Lovey

Hi Chris,
I hope this group would be a good fit for me but please redirect me to another if not . If you think the mentor program is not the right place for me now, please let me know.

I started running in 2008 as a way to lose weight and later on moved into triathlons. I completed numerous 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons, 1 marathon and several sprint triathlons. I got healthy and lost weight. During a bike training ride in 2012, I crashed and shattered my ankle completely. After surgery with 8 screws and a metal plate implant, it took me a year and a half to be able to run a mile again. It was a slow road back. I got back to running, completed a sprint in 2015 to get me over the fear of biking again. Completed the NYC half marathon in 2016 but caused further damage to my ankle.
I had ankle surgery 13 months ago to remove the 8 screws and plate as well as the bone spurs I developed and cleaned out the arthritis I also developed.

I can't run anymore and find it difficult to walk any distance. I am at the point where my doctor and PT can't do anything else. I am not allowed to do a high impact activity EVER per doctors orders. Doc thinks swimming may help loosen my ankle so I can walk a couple of miles. My PT wants me to sign up for a summer bike ride or race, to motivate me to get on my bike.

Here I am after giving up on everything because I couldn't do what I love most, run.
I want to swim and bike and eventually walk to get back in shape and lose the weight I gained sitting on my butt. I don't plan on doing a triathlon but hope to do a summer bike event.

I have participated in previous mentor programs when training.

Hi Tracy,

Welcome to the group! Sorry you have had some setbacks but glad you are continuing to move forward! First let me say that I have zero triathlon experience. I am still over 300 lbs so I have done significant research into minimizing impact for the "run" portion. I read one thread from another Clydesdale that suggested racewalking as an alternative to the run. Done correctly, there is no impact. The world record race walk for a marathon was about a 7:30 pace per mile. Not sure it would work but may be worth looking into if you want to get back to triathlons. I also liked the suggestion for participating in aquabike as a transition activity. Hope your training goes well and look forward to hearing about your progress!

Carl
2017-01-18 9:06 PM

Hi All,

Just checking in. I am really impressed with the workouts posted! Way to go. I have been continuing to work on improving my fitness and today was able to sign up at a gym that will allow me to begin my swim training! My first time in the pool will be tomorrow morning. So far all is going well and I think I will be targeting 3 sprints this year. One each in June (Motor City),July (Sanford Lake) and August (South Haven). I also have a 5 or 10 K planned for September and likely one for October.

Keep up the great work all!
2017-01-18 9:16 PM

Spinning is working out nice for my aerobic ability, as a bonus I am working hard to be able to hold the aero position on my tt bike.
This morning I spun for 30 mins while watching a movie then went for a 3 k run. It's a little difficult to do my workouts before a night shift and still get enough rest to go to work.

Thanks for having me
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41234 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38372 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."