Other Resources 2017 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page
 
 
of 13
 
 
2017-03-19 9:43 PM
in reply to: #5216272

User image

New user
142
10025
Gold member
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
This morning I ran the Irish double which is an 8k followed by a 5k. The 8k started out at 9:30 this morning. First mile clocked in at 7:25. Thinking ok, I'm feeling pretty good yet, lets see if I can hold this pace for another 4 miles. MIle splits went 7:23, 7:26, 7;26, 7:29. Not too bad and very happy with how I was able to maintain a constant pace for most of the race. My official time was 37:05. Nice!

At 11;30 the 5k went off and I'm already a bit sore. Warmed up and stretched the best I could. First mile 7:25. Good. Let's try to hold the pace for 2 more miles. 2nd mile 7:19. Not sure how that happened but I'll take it. 3rd mile was 7:29 and an official time of 23:08. About 2 minutes faster than last years irish double per race! Very happy with how I raced.

Next race is an indoor tri this coming Saturday. I tend to do rather well at this one mainly because the field is small, but an overall win is a win so I'm gunning for one.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Scott


2017-03-20 6:29 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image


424
100100100100
North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

This morning I ran the Irish double which is an 8k followed by a 5k. The 8k started out at 9:30 this morning. First mile clocked in at 7:25. Thinking ok, I'm feeling pretty good yet, lets see if I can hold this pace for another 4 miles. MIle splits went 7:23, 7:26, 7;26, 7:29. Not too bad and very happy with how I was able to maintain a constant pace for most of the race. My official time was 37:05. Nice!

At 11;30 the 5k went off and I'm already a bit sore. Warmed up and stretched the best I could. First mile 7:25. Good. Let's try to hold the pace for 2 more miles. 2nd mile 7:19. Not sure how that happened but I'll take it. 3rd mile was 7:29 and an official time of 23:08. About 2 minutes faster than last years irish double per race! Very happy with how I raced.

Next race is an indoor tri this coming Saturday. I tend to do rather well at this one mainly because the field is small, but an overall win is a win so I'm gunning for one.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Scott

Fantastic job, Scott! Two minutes off per race is awesome, especially for a 5K!
2017-03-20 7:28 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
557
5002525
Cleburne, Texas
Silver member
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99 This morning I ran the Irish double which is an 8k followed by a 5k...Very happy with how I raced...

Congrats on a great race and good luck this weekend!

2017-03-20 10:15 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image


255
1001002525
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
Outstanding!!! Impressive.....Congrats!!
2017-03-21 7:42 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image


450
1001001001002525
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
Wow thats awesome Scott!

Nate
2017-03-21 8:44 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
557
5002525
Cleburne, Texas
Silver member
Subject: BASE Performance

It's been announced that BASE Performance is sponsoring my next triathlon. They'll be supplying BASE Hydro and Electrolyte Salt on the bike and run then add their Amino on the run course. I've used Salt for a few years but never the Hydro or Amino. I can only find it in powder so not sure how they'll hand it out on the bike unless it's manufactured premixed in 24oz bottles just for races. Anyone have any experience with BASE?



2017-03-23 10:14 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image


450
1001001001002525
Subject: Goofy Challenge
Thinking about running the Goofy challenge in January. I have only done a half marathon so far. Have 2nd one next month. Maybe a full in November. I am at disney for a conference the week after so I would look super cool blinged out. Anyone ever do anything like this? Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Nate
2017-03-27 7:27 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image


424
100100100100
North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Longest brick during 70.3 training
Seems like this group has turned into a bit of a ghost town over the last month. Where's everybody at?! ;-)

I hit a bit of a tough stretch in the middle of the month where I only logged 1 workout in a span of 5 days, but I have since returned with a vengeance! I'm already ahead of my training totals for February (which also suffered from a similar gap in training) so I'm happy about that.

While I was on my bike trainer yesterday, I had some free time and my mind started thinking about my training plan for my first 70.3. We just barely started spring, so I haven't been doing much of anything for brick work. But I want to do more brick work this year to be better prepared for my races. I was hoping for some input for those of you that have done a 70.3 in the past (or are currently training for one).

My past races are only sprints and Olympics and I've never done more than 3 miles on a brick run. I was curious if those of you that have done a 70.3 could share what you've done as your longest brick run during your training for that race distance. Did you vary your brick run distance depending on the distance of your bike workout that was part of that same brick? I'm just wondering approximately where I should cap the brick distances, keeping in mind that this will be my first attempt at a 70.3.

Thanks! Hope everyone's training is going well!

Randy
2017-03-27 10:43 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
557
5002525
Cleburne, Texas
Silver member
Subject: RE: Longest brick during 70.3 training

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Seems like this group has turned into a bit of a ghost town over the last month. Where's everybody at?! ;-) I hit a bit of a tough stretch in the middle of the month where I only logged 1 workout in a span of 5 days, but I have since returned with a vengeance! I'm already ahead of my training totals for February (which also suffered from a similar gap in training) so I'm happy about that. While I was on my bike trainer yesterday, I had some free time and my mind started thinking about my training plan for my first 70.3. We just barely started spring, so I haven't been doing much of anything for brick work. But I want to do more brick work this year to be better prepared for my races. I was hoping for some input for those of you that have done a 70.3 in the past (or are currently training for one). My past races are only sprints and Olympics and I've never done more than 3 miles on a brick run. I was curious if those of you that have done a 70.3 could share what you've done as your longest brick run during your training for that race distance. Did you vary your brick run distance depending on the distance of your bike workout that was part of that same brick? I'm just wondering approximately where I should cap the brick distances, keeping in mind that this will be my first attempt at a 70.3. Thanks! Hope everyone's training is going well! Randy

I would highly recommend using a training plan with all of that included. I've used a BT workout plans for all of my races including my half and full marathons. Yes, even the free ones. Take some time reading about the plans and find one that works for you. Let me know if you have any questions because I've done just about all of them in the 70.3 category in some fashion. 

To address your question. I only do a 30-60 minute run after my bike. And it's always an easy, easy run. Most of the time these are done on the end of long rides where my legs are going to be tired. Sometimes I'll do a run/bike/run just so my legs will be more stressed for the last run. It's hard to say what an overall time for a brick would be because it depending on your plan and what week of the plan you're in. If you have an aggressive plan where you're riding a three hour workout (56 miles ) in the last couple of months then your brick would be around 3:15 or 3:30 hrs total. For me the key is to run (easy) until you feel your "running legs". After 110 miles on the bike it takes me 40 minutes at least for me to get my land legs back, lol.

Another thing to consider is a swim/bike brick. I've found that after a long OWS my neck is tired from constantly sighting and from the stress of the race. Then, especially if you have a TT bike, you're having to hold your head up to see in aero position. My neck is spent towards the end of my bike in a race. 

2017-03-27 12:38 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image


255
1001002525
Subject: RE: Goofy Challenge
Originally posted by nrpoulin

Thinking about running the Goofy challenge in January. I have only done a half marathon so far. Have 2nd one next month. Maybe a full in November. I am at disney for a conference the week after so I would look super cool blinged out. Anyone ever do anything like this? Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Nate


Go for it Nate!!
2017-03-27 1:31 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image


194
100252525
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Longest brick during 70.3 training
Originally posted by rjchilds8
I was curious if those of you that have done a 70.3 could share what you've done as your longest brick run during your training for that race distance. Did you vary your brick run distance depending on the distance of your bike workout that was part of that same brick? I'm just wondering approximately where I should cap the brick distances, keeping in mind that this will be my first attempt at a 70.3.

My brick runs after a long ride (50-70 miles) have been only about 30 minutes, and as Monty said, just a slow, easy run to get my stride back.

I'm finally recovered from the plague and back training hard. Most of my winter weight gain is gone, thankfully. I'm heading off to an annual conference in San Francisco later this week. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some training it at the hotel facilities, but these conferences are pretty jam packed with lots of partying in the evenings, so we'll see.

I went on my first longish outside bike ride of the year on Saturday. It felt good to be outside, despite the rain and wind. However, for some reason, transitioning from the trainer to outside seems to cause back issues, so I'm dealing with that right now. I think it's the hills that do it, so I need to ease into it perhaps a bit more slowly, which might be difficult with me living on a mountain. But, it didn't stop me from an 8.6 mile run yesterday, also my longest of the year.

I don't recall if I posted in this group about a weird issue at my pool. I just recently started wearing my Garmin when swimming, and I discovered that I swim way slower in one direction than in the other, and there's a huge difference in stroke count (18 in one direction versus 23 in the other). Well, last night I finally had the pool to myself and was able to do some experimenting. The only swim lane is on the far left side of the pool, and there's where I always swim. However, since I had the pool to myself last night, I checked out the middle and far right sides of the pool, and discovered it takes about 19 strokes to swim either direction when I'm in the middle of the pool, and then 23 versus 18 when swimming in the far right side. It must have a circular current around the edge of the pool. The funny thing is I've been swimming at this pool for four years now, and I've never noticed a current before, although it felt like I swam faster in one direction than the other, but I always thought it was just in my mind. It wasn't until I saw the Garmin graph that I started questioning my assumptions. Anyway, interesting observation.

I hope y'all are having fun training!


2017-03-27 1:53 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image


424
100100100100
North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Longest brick during 70.3 training
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

I would highly recommend using a training plan with all of that included. I've used a BT workout plans for all of my races including my half and full marathons. Yes, even the free ones. Take some time reading about the plans and find one that works for you. Let me know if you have any questions because I've done just about all of them in the 70.3 category in some fashion. 

To address your question. I only do a 30-60 minute run after my bike. And it's always an easy, easy run. Most of the time these are done on the end of long rides where my legs are going to be tired. Sometimes I'll do a run/bike/run just so my legs will be more stressed for the last run. It's hard to say what an overall time for a brick would be because it depending on your plan and what week of the plan you're in. If you have an aggressive plan where you're riding a three hour workout (56 miles ) in the last couple of months then your brick would be around 3:15 or 3:30 hrs total. For me the key is to run (easy) until you feel your "running legs". After 110 miles on the bike it takes me 40 minutes at least for me to get my land legs back, lol.

Another thing to consider is a swim/bike brick. I've found that after a long OWS my neck is tired from constantly sighting and from the stress of the race. Then, especially if you have a TT bike, you're having to hold your head up to see in aero position. My neck is spent towards the end of my bike in a race. 



I have reviewed some of the training plans that I could find online for free. I haven't pored over the workouts in details, but I've skimmed through them. I get the idea of following a training plan, but so many of them look like they require more of a time commitment then I am able to give. Plus, I find it hard to believe that these plans are generic enough to be the right kind of plan for everyone. The plan doesn't know my current fitness level, my limitations, my time restrictions, my goals, what injuries I've had in the past that might affect me, etc., etc. There are so many variables that go into "me" and my training. I'm not saying that nobody should use a plan, just that they should follow one that fits them, their body, and their personality.

I haven't seen any plans that really fit me, so I'm going my own way. I have a general plan mapped out with certain goals that have to be met each month. I adapt my week's training plan based on where I am at relative to my monthly goals and obviously the race distance. I've never biked the kind of distance needed for a 70.3, so it's going to be new territory. My gut feeling was that I would not go over 6 miles of running as part of any brick workout. I've completed a half marathon and am planning another one in early May. I feel like my run fitness will be primed by September for my 70.3. The key, obviously, is doing it after 56 miles on the bike and I felt like I would need to do some key bike/run brick workouts to make sure I had my body prepared on race day. I guess I'll play it by ear, but my initial plan was not to exceed 40/6 for a brick workout. I am also considering one or two swim/bike bricks, although I didn't do any last year and it didn't seem to hurt. For my two Olys last year, I never really had any neck pain after the swim and I have a road bike so maybe I'm not in an aero position as much as you are. Anyway, not criticizing anyone else's training, just saying what I believe works for me. I'm open to hearing feedback on where other people cap their brick workouts and opinions on 40/6.
New Thread
Other Resources 2017 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Show Per page
 
 
of 13
 
 
RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 8879 Posts: 1013

2017-03-27 12:15 PM firebert

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by k9car363
Views: 7918 Posts: 398

2017-03-27 12:20 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 63 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 23 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out
 
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
 
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.
 
date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 0
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
 
date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."