Other Resources 2017 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 20

2017-08-03 11:32 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Spokane, Washington
Subject: July totals
S: 24,273.6 yards
B: 294.81 miles
R: 76.08 miles

I'm done with my long races for the year. I have just one triathlon left; a sprint tri on the 12th. And then I switch my focus to Burning Man for the next couple of months and take a break from training, so my numbers will really start to drop this month.

I've noticed our little group is winding down. Even Chris kind of checked out in May, saying he was really struggling with motivation this year. I haven't been as active on this site, myself, as I have been in the past. I'm more involved now with my local tri club, as well as a couple of women's triathlon Facebook groups. However, I know some of us are now in this group for the fourth year, and it's always fun to keep up with each other's progress, as well as hear about the newer triathletes' experiences.

2017-08-04 8:21 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Canada (Whistler) race report (really, really long!)
Originally posted by burner2

So, I slowed down a bit and walk/jogged, keeping an eye on my watch. I passed the 18 km distance sign, and then the 20 km distance sign! Only 1 km left! But why couldn’t I hear the finish line? I should be able to hear it by now. I picked up the pace. I had about 11 minutes left. And then I saw a 21 km distance sign. What? Where was the finish line? I was so confused. I should be at the finish line, but I couldn’t see anything but trees, and I couldn’t hear anyone. And then, a few minutes later…I saw…a distance sign for Ironman 70.3 20 km.

Me & Brain (simultaneously): Oh, FUUUU……..!
Me: But!
Brain: ….

I had been looking at distance markers for the FULL DISTANCE, not the 70.3 distance! Instead of finishing with seven minutes to spare, I had seven minutes to run 1 km. That’s a 12-minute mile, which is fast for me on a good day. On fresh legs.

I'm curious about the signage. Was 20 km the first time that they had actually posted a 70.3 distance sign? It would seem strange for them not to have had distance markers at every km of the 70.3 course. Do you think there were other markers and you just missed seeing them? I have my first 70.3 coming up in about a month and I'd really like to avoid any mistakes. I'm wary of the distance on my Garmin sometimes, too. I typically compare my Garmin to the distance markers on the course to get a sense of whether it is ahead of or behind the course markers.

I commend you for making the effort to finish even though it looked like it was after the 8:30 cut off. I'm sure I would have done the same thing. The records might say someone didn't finish, but in your mind you know that you completed the distance despite what the official timing says.
2017-08-04 10:58 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Spokane, Washington
Originally posted by rjchilds8
I'm curious about the signage. Was 20 km the first time that they had actually posted a 70.3 distance sign? It would seem strange for them not to have had distance markers at every km of the 70.3 course. Do you think there were other markers and you just missed seeing them? I have my first 70.3 coming up in about a month and I'd really like to avoid any mistakes. I'm wary of the distance on my Garmin sometimes, too. I typically compare my Garmin to the distance markers on the course to get a sense of whether it is ahead of or behind the course markers.

I don't remember the signs on the run that clearly, but I do remember on the bike the signs differentiated between the full and the 70.3. Those for the full just said "Ironman # km", while those for the 70.3 said "Ironman 70.3 # km", so it was very clear. The "70.3" was in bright, green letters and hard to miss. On the run, I remember seeing the distance marker signs and knowing some were for the full and some for the half just by the number (e.g., "40 km" was clearly for the full because the 70.3 run is only 21 km). And, for the first part of the run, the full and the half were on the same course, and they had distance marker signs every 2 km. I'm pretty sure those signs were all said "Ironman # km", rather than "Ironman 70.3 # km."

However, the half had an earlier turnaround point than the full, and that's when things got fuzzy. I remember seeing a 15 km sign, and then a 16 km sign not too far after that one. It seemed really odd at the time, but I just thought someone had placed it incorrectly. In hindsight, the 15 km sign was probably for the half, and the 16 km sign for the full, but it just didn't register with me. Now I know to actively look for the "70.3" designation on the distance signs and ignore anything else. Also, since both races were happening at the same time, it probably would have been wise for me to at least review the full course so that I was familiar with the differences. Had someone not caught me at the half turnaround point, I would have kept going because most of the runners at that point were the full distance athletes, and I was just following everybody else, not paying attention to the signs.

I think this is something you'd need to be concerned about only if your race has both the full and the 70.3 on the same course at the same time. When I did the Cd'A course, it was only the 70.3 (the full is later this month), so there was no sign confusion. Also, the Cd'A course is pretty straight forward. The Whistler course, however, starts and ends with a series of confusing loops. When I checked it out, they had just begun marking the course, so I was able to familiarize myself with the start, but not the end. I still couldn't tell you how the course goes at the end. It was a series of confusing loops through the woods, parking lots, Olympic Village, and streets, that made no sense at all. I had no idea where I was those last 3 km. I could hear and see the finish line at 19 km marker, which is also another reason I believed I was closer to the finish line than I actually was. By the 20 km marker, I could no longer see or hear it.

I hope this helps!
2017-08-05 8:50 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Originally posted by burner2

I hope this helps!

For my 70.3, it's the only race that day so I shouldn't have any competing signs to worry about. The only thing I'll have to keep my eye on is that the run course is two loops, but the loops are different. The first one is an 8 mile loop and the second one is 5 miles, but they share some common terrain. But I've done other (shorter) races where there are multiple event distances on the same course, so I'm at least used to the fact that I'll have to be diligent about keeping an eye on the signs.
2017-08-11 9:37 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Great job Cass. Two 70.3 in one year is pretty impressive. Sorry to hear about the confusion with the course.

I have been on vacation for the last two weeks but have been able to put some solid run miles in. Randy what race are you doing?

Nate
2017-08-12 5:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Randy what race are you doing?

Nate

It's a small, non-Ironman branded race. The one I'm doing is called the Big George (http://www.adkracemgmt.com/race/lake-george-triathlon-festival-big-george-triathlon-half-iron-distance/#.WY-F6lWGOM-). They do a 2-day triathlon "festival" in Lake George, NY. There is an Olympic distance race on Saturday and then Sunday is the HIM. It's a pretty area on a great lake. I grew up only maybe 45 minutes from Lake George, so I'm familiar with the area. The bonus is that my tri club chose this weekend as the club weekend, so I will have some club members out on the course with me! And with the proximity to my family (Mom and my two brothers), I'll have my own cheering section.

2017-08-14 10:03 PM
in reply to: #5208205

User image

Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
Looks like a fun race. I will be rolling solo for my first 70.3. How is the training coming these last few weeks?

We just got back from vacation. Was able to log 30+ miles a week running but no bike a very little swim. Actually ran more than a HM on the last 3 Sunday's. Last year my longest run was a HM race. Gonna race an Oly this week and break my streak. My swim is way down, and I will have to put some good rides in the next few weeks. Hope i can piece it together.
2017-08-15 6:53 AM

User image

Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
Training has been going OK. I had a real set back in my training in June. In a 14-day period, I only did 2 non-swim workouts. The greatest damage was done to my bike and the effect was that it basically set me back over a month! I did a ride of a fraction over 42 miles on June 3rd (averaging 17.3 mph) and was feeling great about where my bike training was. After coming back from vacation, I attempted a long ride on June 25th and my legs absolutely locked up with cramps at the 47 mile mark. I wouldn't get through another long ride without cramps until July 22nd and I had to back way off my pace, finishing 45 1/2 miles, but only at 15.88 mph pace. I did complete 52.7 miles last weekend, but really had to nurse it for about the last 8 miles and came in at 15.68 mph. So I should be in good enough shape to finish, especially considering that literally the last 3 1/2 miles of that Lake George course are downhill at nearly 3% grade. But I'm not sure I'm going to be able to ride it as well as I was hoping. I'm aiming for 54-55 miles this coming weekend and then I'll start a 2-week taper.

In hindsight, I should have tried to do more during our vacation. I should have dragged my butt out of bed in the morning and done some running. It was a bit of a perfect storm of not doing much on vacation, also having a really poor diet while on vacation, and then being busy once we got back and missing workouts. If I had only missed roughly one week of training, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad. But basically going 2 weeks and doing almost nothing set me back a long way on the bike, which was going to be my biggest struggle. I'd already done the swim distance and I've done a couple HMs. But I'd never come close to doing 56 on the bike. I'll get there and it'll be very important for me to pace myself properly. I just don't know that I'll get the result I was hoping for on the bike.

Sounds like you're in a similar boat. At least you got in a good volume of running. Hopefully that helps you avoid the same fate that I suffered. Of course, I think you were in better shape on the bike that I was to begin with, so I'm sure you'll have a better shot at the 70.3 bike than me. Good luck, buddy!
New Thread
Other Resources 2017 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 20

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 17798 Posts: 1508

2017-08-19 11:48 AM drfoodlove

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 17102 Posts: 702

2017-08-19 3:16 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 25 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."