General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Integration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-28 9:47 AM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Subject: Weight Integration
I'm sure we have all been where I am at. So, I figured rather than stressing about it any longer I would just ask. I want to incorporate some strength/weight training into my workouts. The problem I am having is that I need something very structured. Yes, I can structure one myself but I'm hoping somebody may already have one. I have access to the Y but prefer to do most of my stuff at home as I do own a bowflex. I'm looking for something triathlon specific. I've always enjoyed things like the beach body programs but feel like they aren't specific enough for what we do. Any ideas?

2016-12-29 6:51 AM
in reply to: Rooster519

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Weight Integration

Originally posted by Rooster519 I'm looking for something triathlon specific.

Swim, bike, and run.

There is no substitute for the actual thing itself.  If you had framed your question around wanting an overall strength program for x, y, or z reason I might have a different response but if you qualified it with triathlon specific.  Swim more, bike more, and run more.  You can't get more specific than that if you want to become a better triathlete.

2016-12-29 9:03 AM

User image

Originally posted by Rooster519

I'm sure we have all been where I am at. So, I figured rather than stressing about it any longer I would just ask. I want to incorporate some strength/weight training into my workouts. The problem I am having is that I need something very structured. Yes, I can structure one myself but I'm hoping somebody may already have one. I have access to the Y but prefer to do most of my stuff at home as I do own a bowflex. I'm looking for something triathlon specific. I've always enjoyed things like the beach body programs but feel like they aren't specific enough for what we do. Any ideas?

So, I'm in a similar boat, but I am new to the tri sport. I figured I'd share what I have found here and other places and what I will be incorporating. I come from a year solid of weight lifting 5-7 days per week and started running late in the game. I'm hitting triathlons this year but will keep my weight training on point. I plan on hitting the weights 3-4 days per week. I will be staying with heavier weights and 3 sets of 10-15 reps. I know some people say that low weight and high reps helps create muscular endurance, but I've seen enough legitimate research saying that's not the case. Besides, our endurance will come from bike, swim and run. I plan on hitting all the major muscle groups through the week(hammys, quads, calves, glutes, abs, chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders, lats and traps). I will group them to create the 3-4 days. If you'd like more info on how I plan on designing it, let me know, I can share. I will be doing this in conjunction with my tri training. Hopefully this helps somewhat!
2016-12-29 9:14 AM
in reply to: joshwennes

User image

Davenort, Iowa
That's exactly what I'm looking for. It's been years since I've done any weight training at all. My current tri plan has me running 4 days a week, swimming and biking 3 days a week. Not sure I can add much more of those in there. Just looking for something to help build some extra muscle to help develop speed and power.
2016-12-29 9:34 AM

User image

Originally posted by Rooster519

That's exactly what I'm looking for. It's been years since I've done any weight training at all. My current tri plan has me running 4 days a week, swimming and biking 3 days a week. Not sure I can add much more of those in there. Just looking for something to help build some extra muscle to help develop speed and power.

So, I guess, for me as a personal trainer, I'd want to know how much time you'd have to apply to lifting, what your training distance is already and what your familiarity is with lifting. Then, a resistance training program could be designed.
2016-12-29 9:44 AM
in reply to: joshwennes

User image

Davenort, Iowa
There won't be a lot of time. I would like to say realistically I can add about an hour 3 days a week, much more than that would be too much of a time constraint. As for the training distances, I'm getting about 6 miles in the pool, 50 miles on the bike and about 15 running. The endurance side of it I should have covered. Like I said, it's been a long time since I've done any weight lifting, so I know I will start slow to ensure proper form is utilized. I appreciate your help.

2016-12-29 9:48 AM

User image

I'm going to shoot you a private message here with what I come up with.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Integration Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

core integration

Started by mad-dog
Views: 1379 Posts: 8

2013-01-13 6:12 AM odpaul7

Triathlon integration with MapMy[fill in the blank] websites

Started by tb1000
Views: 795 Posts: 3

2012-09-04 11:26 PM bcraht

weight training and gaining weight

Started by mjrizon
Views: 2480 Posts: 4

2013-11-12 1:26 AM ultralifeshop

Weight Loss vs Weight Training

Started by Clintjc1
Views: 3468 Posts: 20

2014-08-08 3:22 PM capp16

New bike thoughts....bike Weight vs body weight Pages: 1 2

Started by KathyG
Views: 2600 Posts: 34

2006-04-27 5:02 PM ChuckyFinster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Standing Lunges strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?