Other Resources The Political Joe » Markets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-28 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Markets
Back in Sept I convinced myself a market crash or sell-off was immanent regardless of who won the election. So I took 90% of my 401k money out of the market and put it in a Mason jar where it was safe. And then I watched as the market continue to grow like wildfire the right thru the election. There was no crash or sell off....just really good growth!

So now what? Will the market give back those gains?

My hope (dream/fantasy) is that when Trump starts cutting regulations and lowering corporate taxes there will be an economic boom! If nothing else, I think people are gonna want to see what effect 'the businessman' has on the markets.

So I'm back in the markets with just 25% in the hole. If the market tank short term I might double down, press the bets and go all in (excuse the poker metaphors).

So what do you think the markets with do with the Trumpster at the helm?

2016-12-28 2:41 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Markets
<<< Grabs popcorn and lawn chair...
2016-12-28 3:24 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

<<< Grabs popcorn and lawn chair...

So you think it will be interesting/fun to watch but you aren't willing to opine? :-) C'mon, put yourself out there.....

I am.....let's say cautiously optimistic. It's hard to predict what the collect mindset of the herd but if Trump starts cutting regulations it's just very hard to imaging that having anything but a positive affect on the markets/business.
2016-12-29 5:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

We thought long and hard about pulling out - then decided since we have 15 +/- years until we could even think of pulling out money from our 401k/403b, that we would stand put and ride any roller coaster and take advantage of any dollar-cost averaging buying opportunities that would present. 

Note that the "+/-" is heavily dependent on said market performance, however.  LOL

If we were, say, 5 years out?  I would've had a much different approach.

2016-12-29 3:55 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Here are my thoughts, which are purely hunch...but you asked. The surge to date is based purely on speculation as Trump hasn't taken office yet. So in my mind, this phase is pretty much over (since he is about to take office). Things go in waves and it will likely wane now that the initial excitement is over, and since it was not based on any actual, tangible economic change. The next phase will be dependent on whether or not his policies will actually move the economy. To me, this one will be a bit longer and more obvious. If I was you, I'd wait. I'm personally switching to a lower risk mix now that the initial wave is over, once things get a bit more clear, I'll probably go more high risk again assuming he will stimulate the economy, which I think he will.
2016-12-30 8:20 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
Tejas
I'm staying put. I don't think anyone can complain about returns during the obama admin. However, I feel a lot of his policies have led to an artificially inflated market; one that will see a pretty substantial correction within 2 years. I think this happens regardless of whether Trump is successful or not. I hope to see the muni market rebound and start seeing some bond issues in the 5% and up range again. My plan is to gradually reinvest dividends from higher yielding products and adding more munis to my portfolio as I near retirement. That plan has been somewhat stifled as muni yields have been so low for last several years.

So yeah, I plan to hold fast. I still have plenty of time to ride out some pretty significant lows in the market and am diversified enough to not really lose my nest egg no matter what happens.

2017-01-09 9:41 AM

User image

Pro

For the first time in 35 years I got out of the market in the weeks leading up to the election.  I felt like the market was overpriced as it was and that a Trump victory would bring about a pretty decent correction/buying opportunity. Obviously, that didn't happen.  I've missed out on a decent run-up that probably cost me near 6 figures in unrealized gains.  Leaving the market is not something I had ever done.....no matter how bleak it looked.  I invested even more in 08, for example, when everyone bailed.  I guess being within a few years of retirement and happy with what I have saved/made caused me to look at things differently. 

So now I find myself on the outside looking in waiting for an opportunity to get back in and take advantage of what may be some really good years under republican leadership that looks willing to lift regulations, lower taxes, and really grow the economy.  I'll likely still sit and wait for a correction to buy back in.....but I'll admit I'm getting antsy.

2017-01-09 10:38 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Left Brain

For the first time in 35 years I got out of the market in the weeks leading up to the election.  I felt like the market was overpriced as it was and that a Trump victory would bring about a pretty decent correction/buying opportunity. Obviously, that didn't happen.  I've missed out on a decent run-up that probably cost me near 6 figures in unrealized gains.  Leaving the market is not something I had ever done.....no matter how bleak it looked.  I invested even more in 08, for example, when everyone bailed.  I guess being within a few years of retirement and happy with what I have saved/made caused me to look at things differently. 

So now I find myself on the outside looking in waiting for an opportunity to get back in and take advantage of what may be some really good years under republican leadership that looks willing to lift regulations, lower taxes, and really grow the economy.  I'll likely still sit and wait for a correction to buy back in.....but I'll admit I'm getting antsy.

Your situation deserves a hard look at munis. Your impending retirement would warrant putting your $ in lower risk products. The muni does that, plus the dividends are income tax free. That makes a seemingly low 4.5% return actually go farther in most tax situations. Don't buy P.R. , Cali, Illinois or any municipality that is governed by democrats. Think Stockton, Cali. While it's rare for a bond to default, it does happen; just look up Puerto Rico bond default on Google. Find a broker that specializes in munis and try to buy B rated or better bonds.
2017-01-09 11:00 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Your situation deserves a hard look at munis. Your impending retirement would warrant putting your $ in lower risk products. The muni does that, plus the dividends are income tax free. That makes a seemingly low 4.5% return actually go farther in most tax situations. Don't buy P.R. , Cali, Illinois or any municipality that is governed by democrats. Think Stockton, Cali. While it's rare for a bond to default, it does happen; just look up Puerto Rico bond default on Google. Find a broker that specializes in munis and try to buy B rated or better bonds.

I will check that out.....thanks.  Admittedly, I'm in uncharted territory as I begin to seriously plan for my retirement in 3 years.  Saving the money and investing it was one thing.....getting ready to start realizing my retirement income is another.  I'm happy where I'm sitting......but my knowledge is weak on the next stage.

2017-01-12 11:46 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
http://www.wsj.com/articles/billionaire-george-soros-lost-nearly-1-...

Crap, I'm in the same boat as Soros....ok, not the some boat per se.

Oh well, sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
2017-01-25 10:10 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Dow cracks 20K today. Gold is down...

2017-01-25 12:11 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Dow cracks 20K today. Gold is down...

And of course the media headline is "Trump claims credit for market surge." as if it another bogus claim.

A line from "As Good as it Gets":

HH: So you're saying me accepting your help obligates me?

JN: Is there any other way to see it?
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Markets Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

More market manipulation

Started by JoshR
Views: 1325 Posts: 16

2013-12-23 4:11 PM rayd

Stock Market Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by Left Brain
Views: 12535 Posts: 151

2016-05-11 8:29 AM velocomp