General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for events! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-29 10:04 AM

User image

Subject: Looking for events!
Hey all,

I'm looking for some quality events in 2017. Beginner triathlons(never done one), or running(half marathon max). I'm in NE IA, with easy access to SW WI and SE MN. Anything you guys recommend? I'm not on an unlimited budget, and traveling an extended distance is possible.

Thanks!

2016-12-30 1:50 PM
in reply to: joshwennes

User image

Decorah, Iowa
Subject: RE: Looking for events!
Great question -
I'm starting to set my summer training schedule as well. I'll be doing Trinona, in Winona, MN again this year. www.trinona.com in June. They run both the Olympic and Sprint distances.
I'm also thinking about the Accel Triathlon (http://acceltriathlon.com/) in Waterloo in July.
2016-12-30 3:32 PM
in reply to: kate-iowa

User image

Originally posted by kate-iowa

Great question -
I'm starting to set my summer training schedule as well. I'll be doing Trinona, in Winona, MN again this year. www.trinona.com in June. They run both the Olympic and Sprint distances.
I'm also thinking about the Accel Triathlon (http://acceltriathlon.com/) in Waterloo in July.

I've considered Trinona! I think I'm going to do the sprint at Rochesterfest(MN), I hear it's a really good beginner. Before that, I'm planning on doing a sprint in West Union, IA, if that goes extremely well, I may bump Rochester up to an Olympic. We will see.
2016-12-30 4:22 PM

User image

Originally posted by kate-iowa

Great question -

After seeing the events you posted I got curious and see your profile says you're in Decorah! Me too!!! Hahaha, sorry, couldn't help it!
2016-12-31 3:53 PM

User image

Decorah, Iowa
I did the same It is a small world and there are a lot of triathletes in our little town!

I did the Lifetime tri series in Minnesota last year. They are a bit expensive, but I have family in the Cities, so that cuts down on costs. I'm like you, don't want to travel too far or pay too much!
2016-12-31 3:54 PM

User image

Decorah, Iowa
I've heard great things about the West Union tri. Well run, etc. I haven't done it though.

2017-01-02 10:53 AM

User image

Yeah I'm excited for West Union. I just started training today, sans swimming. I'll have a pool membership in a couple of weeks and can try not to drown. Definitely will be my weak point, haven't been swimming for years and never have competitively.
2017-01-03 4:55 PM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
I have already started scheduling my year...may have started in October LOL. My big race will be Racine 70.3 followed up by the full Quad Cities Marathon. I know the Quad Cities Triathlon is June 17th (sprint only). There is an indoor one in Muscatine IA the end of this month. There is also the TribyKnight in May, near Waverly Iowa. Dewitt Triathlon again this year, but they haven't released the date for that one yet. I know there is more that's just all I can think of right now.
2017-01-04 8:59 AM
in reply to: Rooster519

User image

I've considered TribyKnight but I think I'll hold off on that this year.
2017-01-04 11:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'm in Iowa City. The Pigman Sprint in Palo (Cedar Rapids) is one of my favorite races, and it's a great one for beginners. It's on June 4th. Extremely well run, good crowds, good post-race food.

There's the Accel Triathlon in Cedar Falls in July. They have sprint and olympic distances. I was signed up for this one last year, but the race was cancelled due to storms that rolled in that morning. It was going to be a small race.

Camp Courageous in August is another great beginner's race, held in the Monticello area. I haven't seen anything about a date or location for this year. The park that it's been held in the last few years is having the lake dredged, so they announced at last year's race it would be at Camp Courageous. Sprint only.

Edited by KatoRx 2017-01-04 11:17 AM
2017-01-04 12:06 PM
in reply to: KatoRx

User image

Thanks! I've heard of Pigman and heard it was a good one.....I think I'm putting that on my next year list!

2017-05-29 6:20 AM

Hello Josh!

Let me introduce you to Racemappr ( https://racemappr.com/), a platform where you can discover thousand of UK and German race events including triathlon, running, swimming, cycling and OCR races. I hope it would be helpful for you!

Also, I have picked out just some of the triathlon events in and around London during the summer 2017 that would be the perfect place to race. https://racemappr.com/posts/list-of-the-triathlon-events-during-summ...

Good luck with searching!
Valeriia
2017-05-30 12:42 PM

Des Moines has one in September. Sprint and an Olympic.
It just got bought by the outfit that puts on Escape from Alcatraz. They've bought a bunch of them to turn them into a "series". Not sure if it's a different race producer than it used to be. It'll likely feel kinda 'big time".

Beyond that...all I can offer is "Go Hawks."
Or Panthers. I root for them too. Just not the Cyclones.
2017-05-30 1:05 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Oviedo, Florida
You can usually find local races on TriFind.com

--
Dave
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for events! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2012 events

Started by flip18436572
Views: 2195 Posts: 11

2012-04-12 2:02 PM CycloneVM

Looking for a place to stay

Started by Triforjeanne
Views: 1627 Posts: 1

2011-02-01 4:50 PM Triforjeanne

Newton YMCA Sprint Event

Started by flip18436572
Views: 1868 Posts: 3

2010-03-11 5:12 PM flip18436572

2010 Triathlon Events??? Where/When

Started by flip18436572
Views: 2047 Posts: 4

2009-11-14 7:59 AM flip18436572
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.
date : October 4, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
I was filled with anticipation for this event, as it was the first in what I hoped would be many triathlons, and I had no idea how I'd do.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.
date : November 27, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Know that base training is not a component of training that is going to necessarily make you faster, but it will make you stronger and give you more endurance to last through the longer races.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.