General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-30 8:42 AM

Subject: Hello
I'm from the UK and have signed up for my first triathlon in July 300m swim / 17km cycle / 3km run. I am 45 and slightly wobbly around the middle!

I am not experienced at all in swimming or cycling. I have run numerous half marathons and 4 full marathons but gave up running 12 months ago as fell out with it. I am in training presently for the Brighton marathon in April but was keen to keep my mojo going. I am 3 weeks in to a 16 week marathon training plan which incorporates 3 x 4-6 mile runs per week and a long run at the weekend (up to 12 miles presently). My fitness levels have dipped but I did complete 3 rounds of insanity at the beginning of this year and have exercised on and off so I am hoping that my fitness levels will improve again.

My plan is to have a private swimming lesson - I can swim but very much in a head out of the water type of way with no swim hat or goggles. I'm hoping that if I have this I can gain good technique and also some advice on the best hat and goggles.

I am going to buy myself a bike and have a fairly healthy budget but I am really worried about cleats.

My main concern is laying my equipment out, transition and not wearing the right outfit (I don't even really know if you can wear the same outfit to swim, cycle & run in).

2017-01-02 2:13 PM
in reply to: FionaO

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Hello

Hi FionaO, and welcome!  Wow, you have an impressive running portfolio!

Planning on some private swimming lessons sounds like a very smart plan - one on one help from a knowledgeable teacher will surely get you in the direction you need to be swim-wise.  Goggles tend to be an individual preference - some brands/styles are made for smaller faces while others fit most, plus some offer more or less peripheral visibility.  It would be advisable to go to a store that allows you to try them on, that way you'll know they fit before you buy them. A general rule is put the goggles to your face without the strap around your head to test the seal.  Facial features may cause one brand to fit better than another (think deep eye sockets or a wide nose).

Bike - sounds like you have a good plan there, too.  Clipless pedals aren't as scary as many folks make them out to be, just be sure to practice getting in and out of them in a safe area before heading out to the road. 

Typically during a race people wear one outfit, a tri suit.  This can be one piece or two piece depending on your preference.  They are made to swim, bike, and run in without changing clothes.  

There are many helpful people and threads around here to help you answer your questions and provide support.  Good luck, and above all, have fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello hello :)

Started by abrandel
Views: 1514 Posts: 5

2011-07-07 8:53 AM tylerhatcher

Hello hello

Started by malraid
Views: 1495 Posts: 5

2010-12-06 2:18 PM malraid

Hello Hello