BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2017-01-30 1:05 PM
in reply to: Rooster519

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN)

Originally posted by Rooster519  So here is where I would like some advice. How do you guys over come adversity during training, races, or whatever?? How do you keep your head up in that moment?

We all have to remember that volunteers are just that....volunteers that freely give their time so that we can enjoy a sport we are supposed to be having fun doing, regardless of our competitive ambitions (or lack of).  Also, treating volunteers, officials, or other athletes harshly and/or with disrespect in a sanctioned event can result in DQ for unsportsmanlike conduct.  At least you recognize that attitude is a choice.

As a side note....I wouldn't recommend taking 3 full days off prior to a short event like that.  Good luck in your next race!

2017-01-30 4:56 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by Rooster519  So here is where I would like some advice. How do you guys over come adversity during training, races, or whatever?? How do you keep your head up in that moment?

We all have to remember that volunteers are just that....volunteers that freely give their time so that we can enjoy a sport we are supposed to be having fun doing, regardless of our competitive ambitions (or lack of).  Also, treating volunteers, officials, or other athletes harshly and/or with disrespect in a sanctioned event can result in DQ for unsportsmanlike conduct.  At least you recognize that attitude is a choice.

As a side note....I wouldn't recommend taking 3 full days off prior to a short event like that.  Good luck in your next race!

Agreed, we do have to remember that they are just volunteers! I felt like a complete A$$, it's why I made sure to apologize. And yes, being DQ'd would have been horrible. I am grateful it did not happen.
Also, I normally don't take 3 days off for short races. I went back and looked at my log, it was only 2 days off, but still too much. The reason for the lengthy down time was a sore hamstring. Something was knotted up in there and I didn't want to stress it before the race. I did get it massaged on Friday and have another massage scheduled for later this week.
2017-01-30 5:08 PM
in reply to: #5208400

User image

Berlin, Berlin
Hi all,

I would like to partake in this please. I'm a first time triathlete based in Berlin Germany. My first race is in June, but I'm a strong & regular non-competitive swimmer & cyclist & have ridden a couple of European mountain ranges

I would love to get some guidance as I jump into Tri training

NAME: Ben

YOUR STORY:

FAMILY STATUS: married w/ 1 four year old boy

CURRENT TRAINING: for a triathlon in june

THIS YEAR'S RACES: see above

2016 RACES: no races but I cycled a lot, notably from Zurich to Milan over the Gotthard

WEIGHT LOSS: ---

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR GROUP MEMBER

I'm sociable & very motivated to get better
2017-01-30 10:44 PM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lowdon Hi all, I would like to partake in this please. I'm a first time triathlete based in Berlin Germany. My first race is in June, but I'm a strong & regular non-competitive swimmer & cyclist & have ridden a couple of European mountain ranges I would love to get some guidance as I jump into Tri training NAME: Ben YOUR STORY: FAMILY STATUS: married w/ 1 four year old boy CURRENT TRAINING: for a triathlon in june THIS YEAR'S RACES: see above 2016 RACES: no races but I cycled a lot, notably from Zurich to Milan over the Gotthard WEIGHT LOSS: --- WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR GROUP MEMBER I'm sociable & very motivated to get better

Welcome Ben!  Start firing away with questions

2017-01-31 4:30 AM

User image

Hi, I'd love to join the group!

NAME: Owen Hewett

YOUR STORY: I'm 19, just finished school and on a gap year before heading of to university. I ran a fair bit at school, but not very successfully; I was always doing too much other sport to commit to the training. Having started road cycling with my friends 4 or 5 years ago triathlon was the obvious next step, so I tried a few! I've done about 5 pool based sprints, but never training properly. I did an open water Olympic 2 years ago with 10 weeks of training but illness meant I didn't eat in the week before the event so the 2:45:00 doesn't feel like my best. At my heart I'm an injury struck runner, where shin splints scuppered my London Marathon training to the extent where I basically trained solely on the bike, resulting in an uncomfortable race experience. I've been away for the last 2 months travelling so haven't done any training over that period
So in summary, I always feel like I have the potential to be successful at some of the local triathlons, but my slow swimming and lack of stickability to train for any length of time has stopped me from fulfilling this potential. As a side note I have a long term ambition to complete an Ironman.

FAMILY STATUS: Living at home with my parents.

CURRENT TRAINING: Started my training this morning with an easy 6km!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Only race planned at the moment is an Open Water Olympic on the 5th May

2016 RACES: London Marathon in April 3:57:33, Bedford Super Sprint June ( 400m, 24km, 5km) : 1:13:30

WEIGHT LOSS: I did put on 10kg over the summer but im 176cm and 68kg so nothing drastic needed.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR GROUP MEMBER: Despite the fact I've done a few races I never really knew what I was doing so I'm still a relative beginner to the sport, but have a good fitness base to work with. I'll definitely take any help I can get!!
2017-01-31 7:15 AM
in reply to: owen.hewett

User image

Pro

Originally posted by owen.hewett Hi, I'd love to join the group! NAME: Owen Hewett YOUR STORY: I'm 19, just finished school and on a gap year before heading of to university. I ran a fair bit at school, but not very successfully; I was always doing too much other sport to commit to the training. Having started road cycling with my friends 4 or 5 years ago triathlon was the obvious next step, so I tried a few! I've done about 5 pool based sprints, but never training properly. I did an open water Olympic 2 years ago with 10 weeks of training but illness meant I didn't eat in the week before the event so the 2:45:00 doesn't feel like my best. At my heart I'm an injury struck runner, where shin splints scuppered my London Marathon training to the extent where I basically trained solely on the bike, resulting in an uncomfortable race experience. I've been away for the last 2 months travelling so haven't done any training over that period So in summary, I always feel like I have the potential to be successful at some of the local triathlons, but my slow swimming and lack of stickability to train for any length of time has stopped me from fulfilling this potential. As a side note I have a long term ambition to complete an Ironman. FAMILY STATUS: Living at home with my parents. CURRENT TRAINING: Started my training this morning with an easy 6km! THIS YEAR'S RACES: Only race planned at the moment is an Open Water Olympic on the 5th May 2016 RACES: London Marathon in April 3:57:33, Bedford Super Sprint June ( 400m, 24km, 5km) : 1:13:30 WEIGHT LOSS: I did put on 10kg over the summer but im 176cm and 68kg so nothing drastic needed. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR GROUP MEMBER: Despite the fact I've done a few races I never really knew what I was doing so I'm still a relative beginner to the sport, but have a good fitness base to work with. I'll definitely take any help I can get!!

Welcome to the group Owen!   I'm assuming you're in the U.K. ?   My wife is from Manchester

2017-01-31 11:14 AM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Things are starting to look up. I've gotten the bike trainer dug out of the garage, have received the IronFit Secrets book, have started on converting the full IM plan to the Half in excel (that's a huge process because I'm spreadsheet illiterate) and have been hitting my base building workouts. The scale is slowly moving in my favor as well. Now if I can just keep the momentum going and not get discouraged, I may be ready to start the HIM training plan for Boulder.

I hope everyone's training is going well.

Steve
2017-01-31 11:38 AM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Pro

Originally posted by stevesflyshop Things are starting to look up. I've gotten the bike trainer dug out of the garage, have received the IronFit Secrets book, have started on converting the full IM plan to the Half in excel (that's a huge process because I'm spreadsheet illiterate) and have been hitting my base building workouts. The scale is slowly moving in my favor as well. Now if I can just keep the momentum going and not get discouraged, I may be ready to start the HIM training plan for Boulder. I hope everyone's training is going well. Steve

As the book title says, "Relentless Forward Progress" !!

2017-01-31 4:26 PM

User image

Thanks!

Yep, based in Bedford, so a fair way from Manchester!
2017-02-01 4:03 PM

User image

So I had my first bike session in aggeeess early, a nice easy 26km.

It all went fine (the hills where fairly tough), but now it's the evening and my legs are aching like heck! Never had this from such a short ride, any tips?!

Owen
2017-02-02 9:54 AM

User image

, Virginia
Thanks for the advice on avoiding the so called low intensity base training. I was planning on building the 'base' for a few more weeks by just increasing the duration.

This week I ramped up intensity:

Monday Swim: 500 yard warm up followed by 5 x 100 all out swim free style. I swam as fast I could for 100 yard bursts with 1-2 minute rest in between. Technique started to fall off towards the end so I after 5 circuits of this I swam 500 yards easy and then did some kick exercises.

Tuesday Bike: 20 minutes warm up (16-17 mph). Then averaged 23-25 mph for 25 minutes. Then I would try and max out for short 1 minutes burst of 30 + mph for 10 minutes and then a cool down. Total time 1:15 minutes.

Wednesday Run: Lifted weights for about 15 minutes. 20 Minutes at 10 minute pace warm up. Then 3 x 400 at 7:30 pace with 9:00 pace in between intervals.

After these workouts I felt confident that I can continue to ramp it up on the run. Bike/Swim I'm already at a 10 on intensity so I would just work on duration at this level.

For the run, would you recommend that I go faster at the same distance or keep the speed, but for longer distance?

2017-02-02 10:43 AM
in reply to: TriathlonnDad

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriathlonnDad Thanks for the advice on avoiding the so called low intensity base training. I was planning on building the 'base' for a few more weeks by just increasing the duration. This week I ramped up intensity: Monday Swim: 500 yard warm up followed by 5 x 100 all out swim free style. I swam as fast I could for 100 yard bursts with 1-2 minute rest in between. Technique started to fall off towards the end so I after 5 circuits of this I swam 500 yards easy and then did some kick exercises. Tuesday Bike: 20 minutes warm up (16-17 mph). Then averaged 23-25 mph for 25 minutes. Then I would try and max out for short 1 minutes burst of 30 + mph for 10 minutes and then a cool down. Total time 1:15 minutes. Wednesday Run: Lifted weights for about 15 minutes. 20 Minutes at 10 minute pace warm up. Then 3 x 400 at 7:30 pace with 9:00 pace in between intervals. After these workouts I felt confident that I can continue to ramp it up on the run. Bike/Swim I'm already at a 10 on intensity so I would just work on duration at this level. For the run, would you recommend that I go faster at the same distance or keep the speed, but for longer distance?

I would recommend increasing the number of reps before you start increasing intensity or distance.

It's important to keep in mind that you don't want to have intense sessions everyday.  Just like doing long, slow workouts every single day for weeks on end is an inefficient way to get fitter, doing intensity work every single workout every single day is too much for your body.  Intensity work is beneficial only so long as you include adequate recovery workouts/days in between those workouts.  This is where following a well thought out training plan (rather than ad-hoc workouts) is most effective.    Make sense?

2017-02-02 10:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by owen.hewett So I had my first bike session in aggeeess early, a nice easy 26km. It all went fine (the hills where fairly tough), but now it's the evening and my legs are aching like heck! Never had this from such a short ride, any tips?! Owen

If you haven't been on the bike in ages then its normal to feel it after your first ride back...just ease back into it and your legs will start being able to handle it again.

Edited by Birkierunner 2017-02-02 10:51 AM
2017-02-05 10:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ventura, California

NAME: Robert

YOUR STORY: No real sports background, just started running in 2014(age 44), first tri Sept 15'(oly 3:29) 1rst marathon Oct 15' (5:45) 2nd marathon Feb 16' (5:09) 2nd tri July 16 (sprint 1:59) 3rd tri Aug 16 (oly long course 1m/34m/10m 4:46) 4th tri Oct 16' (oly 2:44)

FAMILY STATUS: single

CURRENT TRAINING: Behind Schedule, Pool 1-2x week Speed Secrets Workout program, 2,200-4,000 yard workouts. Have trainer road but loathe indoor training, only pumping about 145 20min FTP. Running is fairly consistent at 1-2x week, 1 short 3.5 mile, and one longish 7-8 miler. 9:45-10:20 average pace. Good thing is weather is warming up so more outdoor bike rides, last few outdoor rides I suffered painful frozen toes!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Ironman 70.3 St George May 6th (paid), Auburn CA International May 21 (USAT Oly Nats Qualifier, 33% Top AG) Pasadena 10 mile Trail Running Challenge April 2nd (paid), I have a few repeats of last years races I plan on attending, so probably another 10-12 races for 2017. I would be ecstatic to finish top 10 at St George, but mostly hoping to crack 5:30 and I definitely want that AG spot to USAT Oly Nats! I think coming off of St George 70.3 and in 2 weeks taper going into a olympic distance will put me in a prime spot for a podium finish!

Training this year has been off to a weak start, 51 miles of running, 59 miles on the bike, and 14,432 yards swimming. Well my swim game is on point, lol

2016 RACES: Total of 10 races, 1 marathon, 1 duathlon, 3 triathlon, 10k, 5k, 1/2 marathon, 60m bike race, 9 mile mountain trail race. Total training 580 miles of running, 1,100 miles of biking, and about 18 miles of swimming

WEIGHT LOSS: winter of 2013 260lbs to summer of 2015 170lbs, 90lb weight loss. Been stagnant at 170lb-20% body fat. Working on a informal forum board for weight loss, my focus being specifically on Body Fat, goal is 10-12% by May. I will be happy for 15% at this point.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR GROUP MEMBER:  I like to communicate, I like to be held responsible. I am currently in a training funk and having a hard time with motivation even though I have lots to motivate me. My father just passed Nov 30th so that completely put December and most of January's training in the proverbial shitter, so I know I need to get off the pot and get cracking. I got lots of reasons why training for me is difficult, but so does everyone else. So I want to have some guidance, some motivation and a little old kick in the arse to get this years training cracking.

MY LIMITER: Have torn left medial meniscus tear. Refused surgery due to both mistrust of surgeon and fear of making things worse. Biggest issue is mild pain during cold winter months after running. Swimming and biking present no pains. Did have a major pain/swelling/inflammation during a cold half marathon in Iowa in 2015 which caused me to limp from mile 9 to finish line where I collapsed in intense pain. My knee was the size of a softball(still pulled off a 2:13) That may have actually been the root point of the tear itself. So I have been fairly conservative on my running. I would love to be able to ramp up to 8 minute miles but fear actually accelerating the tearing. I know at some point I will have to have the surgery as X-Rays confirm narrowing of the knee joint and MRI confirms tearing.

SO Boom, that is my story! 

Edited by rjcalhoun 2017-02-05 10:31 PM
2017-02-06 5:16 PM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

Pro

Originally posted by rjcalhoun

NAME: Robert

YOUR STORY: No real sports background, just started running in 2014(age 44), first tri Sept 15'(oly 3:29) 1rst marathon Oct 15' (5:45) 2nd marathon Feb 16' (5:09) 2nd tri July 16 (sprint 1:59) 3rd tri Aug 16 (oly long course 1m/34m/10m 4:46) 4th tri Oct 16' (oly 2:44)

FAMILY STATUS: single

CURRENT TRAINING: Behind Schedule, Pool 1-2x week Speed Secrets Workout program, 2,200-4,000 yard workouts. Have trainer road but loathe indoor training, only pumping about 145 20min FTP. Running is fairly consistent at 1-2x week, 1 short 3.5 mile, and one longish 7-8 miler. 9:45-10:20 average pace. Good thing is weather is warming up so more outdoor bike rides, last few outdoor rides I suffered painful frozen toes!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Ironman 70.3 St George May 6th (paid), Auburn CA International May 21 (USAT Oly Nats Qualifier, 33% Top AG) Pasadena 10 mile Trail Running Challenge April 2nd (paid), I have a few repeats of last years races I plan on attending, so probably another 10-12 races for 2017. I would be ecstatic to finish top 10 at St George, but mostly hoping to crack 5:30 and I definitely want that AG spot to USAT Oly Nats! I think coming off of St George 70.3 and in 2 weeks taper going into a olympic distance will put me in a prime spot for a podium finish!

Training this year has been off to a weak start, 51 miles of running, 59 miles on the bike, and 14,432 yards swimming. Well my swim game is on point, lol

2016 RACES: Total of 10 races, 1 marathon, 1 duathlon, 3 triathlon, 10k, 5k, 1/2 marathon, 60m bike race, 9 mile mountain trail race. Total training 580 miles of running, 1,100 miles of biking, and about 18 miles of swimming

WEIGHT LOSS: winter of 2013 260lbs to summer of 2015 170lbs, 90lb weight loss. Been stagnant at 170lb-20% body fat. Working on a informal forum board for weight loss, my focus being specifically on Body Fat, goal is 10-12% by May. I will be happy for 15% at this point.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR GROUP MEMBER:  I like to communicate, I like to be held responsible. I am currently in a training funk and having a hard time with motivation even though I have lots to motivate me. My father just passed Nov 30th so that completely put December and most of January's training in the proverbial shitter, so I know I need to get off the pot and get cracking. I got lots of reasons why training for me is difficult, but so does everyone else. So I want to have some guidance, some motivation and a little old kick in the arse to get this years training cracking.

MY LIMITER: Have torn left medial meniscus tear. Refused surgery due to both mistrust of surgeon and fear of making things worse. Biggest issue is mild pain during cold winter months after running. Swimming and biking present no pains. Did have a major pain/swelling/inflammation during a cold half marathon in Iowa in 2015 which caused me to limp from mile 9 to finish line where I collapsed in intense pain. My knee was the size of a softball(still pulled off a 2:13) That may have actually been the root point of the tear itself. So I have been fairly conservative on my running. I would love to be able to ramp up to 8 minute miles but fear actually accelerating the tearing. I know at some point I will have to have the surgery as X-Rays confirm narrowing of the knee joint and MRI confirms tearing.

SO Boom, that is my story! 

Welcome to the group Robert!

2017-02-09 8:13 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
I'm hoping there's still room left to join!

NAME: Scott

YOUR STORY: I'll be 45 in April and I'm a total newby/beginner in triathlon, but I love a good challenge and really enjoy racing. I'm a US expat living in Lierskogen, Norway for the past 10 years. I'm primarily a cyclist and runner, and have been delaying a start in triathlon due to the swimming. As I've gotten older (wiser?) I've come to realize that without solid "unchangeable" goals, I can cheat myself on trainging and diet, etc. So, for the past few years I've set goals and stuck to them as best I can. I've ridden bikes my whole life but had never really ridden longer than a Century (160km). So in 2014, I signed up for Styrkeprøven, which is the "The Great Trial of Strength" and is long-distance bike race from Trondheim to Oslo, Norway. It is 520 km (ca 340 mi) and we finished in 18 hrs 30 min. Trial of Strength, in my opinion, is a bit of a misnomer. Trial of Persistence, or Endurance would be more accurate but maybe not the most catchy name. In 2015, I chose to run my first full marathon and did that in 3:44:24. In 2016 I focused on dropping my half mary time and that went good too. But, again, back to that swimming. I've wanted to do triathlon for the longest time, and just always seemed to find reasons to stay in my comfort zones. This year I wanted a new type of challenge. Just a marathon or a bike race was getting a little stale. So, triathlon seemed the most natural evolution. So I stopped making excuses and have joined the master's group at my local swim club, and low and behold, there was zero reason to be scared/intimidated. The club has welcomed me and there's even a couple of coaches there to give tips. Oh yeah, I like the training too! fantastic full-body stuff with zero impact...why did I wait so long??

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a Norwegian with two very active kids (10 yrs old and 6 yrs old). My wife and I work our training schedules around theirs. Both kids are in sports and most of our evenings and quite a few weekends are dedicated to that. We have become quite adept at squeezing in 30 minutes of training here and an hour there...

CURRENT TRAINING: Getting about 4-5 training blocks a week right now. 40 min - 1 hour each. As the spring comes and we get more daylight, my hours will go up with longer runs and rides (back outside!). I nordic ski in the winter as a great alternative to runing/cycling, but our winter this year has been disappointing. Pool training is where I'm currently most concerned/focused. I'm up to 1000 m with intervals per block and have been able to knock out 2 swimming trainings a week so far this year. Really trying to focus on smoothness and breathing. I think it's getting better but hard to tell after only about a month of "real" swimming. The coach who's keeping an eye on me is offering pointers and says I am getting smoother...but I don't feel like I am!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I will do a sprint in June in Horten, Norway. After the summer break, I have a few options, another sprint or an olympic. But I really want to do a half IM in Tønsberg at the end of August. But that 1900m swim leg has me nervous...

My other race this year will again be the Oslo Marathon; my goal is under 3:25. One of my bucket list items is to run Boston.

2016 RACES: No triathlons; Oslo Half Marathon - 1:44:50

WEIGHT LOSS: Happy at around 80-81kg. Sitting at 83ish kg right now.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR GROUP MEMBER: I'm coachable, and social. Forums are a great place for me to socialize because of the time zone differences between the US and Norway.

2017-02-09 10:45 AM
in reply to: flyor64

User image

Pro

Originally posted by flyor64 I'm hoping there's still room left to join! NAME: Scott YOUR STORY: I'll be 45 in April and I'm a total newby/beginner in triathlon, but I love a good challenge and really enjoy racing. I'm a US expat living in Lierskogen, Norway for the past 10 years. I'm primarily a cyclist and runner, and have been delaying a start in triathlon due to the swimming. As I've gotten older (wiser?) I've come to realize that without solid "unchangeable" goals, I can cheat myself on trainging and diet, etc. So, for the past few years I've set goals and stuck to them as best I can. I've ridden bikes my whole life but had never really ridden longer than a Century (160km). So in 2014, I signed up for Styrkeprøven, which is the "The Great Trial of Strength" and is long-distance bike race from Trondheim to Oslo, Norway. It is 520 km (ca 340 mi) and we finished in 18 hrs 30 min. Trial of Strength, in my opinion, is a bit of a misnomer. Trial of Persistence, or Endurance would be more accurate but maybe not the most catchy name. In 2015, I chose to run my first full marathon and did that in 3:44:24. In 2016 I focused on dropping my half mary time and that went good too. But, again, back to that swimming. I've wanted to do triathlon for the longest time, and just always seemed to find reasons to stay in my comfort zones. This year I wanted a new type of challenge. Just a marathon or a bike race was getting a little stale. So, triathlon seemed the most natural evolution. So I stopped making excuses and have joined the master's group at my local swim club, and low and behold, there was zero reason to be scared/intimidated. The club has welcomed me and there's even a couple of coaches there to give tips. Oh yeah, I like the training too! fantastic full-body stuff with zero impact...why did I wait so long?? FAMILY STATUS: Married to a Norwegian with two very active kids (10 yrs old and 6 yrs old). My wife and I work our training schedules around theirs. Both kids are in sports and most of our evenings and quite a few weekends are dedicated to that. We have become quite adept at squeezing in 30 minutes of training here and an hour there... CURRENT TRAINING: Getting about 4-5 training blocks a week right now. 40 min - 1 hour each. As the spring comes and we get more daylight, my hours will go up with longer runs and rides (back outside!). I nordic ski in the winter as a great alternative to runing/cycling, but our winter this year has been disappointing. Pool training is where I'm currently most concerned/focused. I'm up to 1000 m with intervals per block and have been able to knock out 2 swimming trainings a week so far this year. Really trying to focus on smoothness and breathing. I think it's getting better but hard to tell after only about a month of "real" swimming. The coach who's keeping an eye on me is offering pointers and says I am getting smoother...but I don't feel like I am! THIS YEAR'S RACES: I will do a sprint in June in Horten, Norway. After the summer break, I have a few options, another sprint or an olympic. But I really want to do a half IM in Tønsberg at the end of August. But that 1900m swim leg has me nervous... My other race this year will again be the Oslo Marathon; my goal is under 3:25. One of my bucket list items is to run Boston. 2016 RACES: No triathlons; Oslo Half Marathon - 1:44:50 WEIGHT LOSS: Happy at around 80-81kg. Sitting at 83ish kg right now. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR GROUP MEMBER: I'm coachable, and social. Forums are a great place for me to socialize because of the time zone differences between the US and Norway.

Plenty of room Scott!  I've raced Nordic going on 40 years now and its what got me into endurance sports.  I hope to race the Norwegian Birkebeiner (Birkebeinerrennet) one of these years and I did the Swedish Vasaloppet 90km ski race back in 2006.  Squeezing training time into a family schedule is something I'm also very familiar with so hopefully our group can help you out.  Welcome!

2017-02-09 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I had a quick question on using a recumbent bike for training. At our gym, there is 1 upright stationary bike that always seems to be in use, but 5 recumbent bikes that have 1 or 2 people using them. On the days when I have brick workouts, I try to use the gym bike and then hop on the treadmill. I've been fortunate for the most part that I've gotten to use the standard upright bike, but recently it seems there is someone on it on the days I need to do a brick. Last week I used the recumbent, and dialed the resistance in so that I was in my heart rate Zone 2, and then did my 15 minute run on the treadmill afterwards. My question is whether using the recumbent bike is going to have negative effects as my training progresses. Right now I feel that any biking is better than what I was doing, but as the fitness level returns, I don't want to sabotage my biking by using a recumbent. I will say I liked being able to watch some Netflix while grinding out the miles.

I hope everyone is having a great week training.

Steve
2017-02-09 7:56 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by stevesflyshop I had a quick question on using a recumbent bike for training. At our gym, there is 1 upright stationary bike that always seems to be in use, but 5 recumbent bikes that have 1 or 2 people using them. On the days when I have brick workouts, I try to use the gym bike and then hop on the treadmill. I've been fortunate for the most part that I've gotten to use the standard upright bike, but recently it seems there is someone on it on the days I need to do a brick. Last week I used the recumbent, and dialed the resistance in so that I was in my heart rate Zone 2, and then did my 15 minute run on the treadmill afterwards. My question is whether using the recumbent bike is going to have negative effects as my training progresses. Right now I feel that any biking is better than what I was doing, but as the fitness level returns, I don't want to sabotage my biking by using a recumbent. I will say I liked being able to watch some Netflix while grinding out the miles. I hope everyone is having a great week training. Steve

Specificity trumps everything else.  I would not want to see a large percentage of your bike training to occur on the recumbent...its just too different from a TT bike.  But, if that is your only alternative for a "bike-like" workout then you have no choice.  Get a trainer and do your bike training at home on the bike you will race on.

2017-02-10 12:24 AM
in reply to: #5208400

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
That was kind of my thought but I wasn't sure. I do have my bike on a trainer at home but with the weather and lack of daylight I've been doing my brick workouts at the gym. Hopefully the weather continuestation to improve and daylight savings time can't get here soon enough. Thanks for the input.
2017-02-10 3:07 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Plenty of room Scott! I've raced Nordic going on 40 years now and its what got me into endurance sports. I hope to race the Norwegian Birkebeiner (Birkebeinerrennet) one of these years and I did the Swedish Vasaloppet 90km ski race back in 2006. Squeezing training time into a family schedule is something I'm also very familiar with so hopefully our group can help you out. Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome! If you make it over here for the "rennet" let me if you need any help with logistics, etc. I have colleagues from that area that may also know of some places to stay, etc. I'm sure you're aware that any of the three Birkens are extremely popular and hotels, hostels, camp sites can fill up fast. Probably similar to vasaloppet.

I'll just jump in with some questions then

Wetsuits are not easy to find deals over here, but our "big" bike shop carries a pretty good selection. I wasn't considering any of the high-end stuff. From what I've read a entry level suit is fine. So, I've been looking a couple of options:

- Zoot Force 3.0 (1.0 also available for a bit cheaper) I'm more or less in between a MT or ML on their sizing chart.
- Zone 3 Vision (Advance also available for a bit cheaper) same here, in between two sizes..

So, my questions are general in nature and any advice/tips are appreciated.

- I've read about wetsuits, but other than scuba, I have 0 experience. Do I err on the "snug" side of a MT or a bit "roomier" side of the ML?

- I order online, but drive down to the shop, and try it on before buying. That's a plus I assume. Any tips for what I should be looking for when I try it on? I've heard a lot about wetsuits feeling restrictive to the chest and shoulders. Thoughts there?

- the pool I swim at allows wetsuits so I had intended to try it out there before my first sprint (I may not get too many open water chances before the race), but I don't want to swim too many times in the pool with it. It's warm (31c) and chlorine is bad for neoprene so I've heard. So, how many swims should I look to do with the dang thing?

- and finally, entry-level vs mid-levels vs high-end? It's my experience in cycling that I always end up eventually buying the higher end shoes, bibs, saddles, etc. due to fit, comfort, weight, etc. I have the same concern here. If I buy a Zoot for $200, am I only delaying the inevitable purchase of the $400+ suit??

2017-02-10 5:06 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by flyor64
Originally posted by Birkierunner Plenty of room Scott! I've raced Nordic going on 40 years now and its what got me into endurance sports. I hope to race the Norwegian Birkebeiner (Birkebeinerrennet) one of these years and I did the Swedish Vasaloppet 90km ski race back in 2006. Squeezing training time into a family schedule is something I'm also very familiar with so hopefully our group can help you out. Welcome!
Thanks for the warm welcome! If you make it over here for the "rennet" let me if you need any help with logistics, etc. I have colleagues from that area that may also know of some places to stay, etc. I'm sure you're aware that any of the three Birkens are extremely popular and hotels, hostels, camp sites can fill up fast. Probably similar to vasaloppet. I'll just jump in with some questions then Wetsuits are not easy to find deals over here, but our "big" bike shop carries a pretty good selection. I wasn't considering any of the high-end stuff. From what I've read a entry level suit is fine. So, I've been looking a couple of options: - Zoot Force 3.0 (1.0 also available for a bit cheaper) I'm more or less in between a MT or ML on their sizing chart. - Zone 3 Vision (Advance also available for a bit cheaper) same here, in between two sizes.. So, my questions are general in nature and any advice/tips are appreciated. - I've read about wetsuits, but other than scuba, I have 0 experience. Do I err on the "snug" side of a MT or a bit "roomier" side of the ML? - I order online, but drive down to the shop, and try it on before buying. That's a plus I assume. Any tips for what I should be looking for when I try it on? I've heard a lot about wetsuits feeling restrictive to the chest and shoulders. Thoughts there? - the pool I swim at allows wetsuits so I had intended to try it out there before my first sprint (I may not get too many open water chances before the race), but I don't want to swim too many times in the pool with it. It's warm (31c) and chlorine is bad for neoprene so I've heard. So, how many swims should I look to do with the dang thing? - and finally, entry-level vs mid-levels vs high-end? It's my experience in cycling that I always end up eventually buying the higher end shoes, bibs, saddles, etc. due to fit, comfort, weight, etc. I have the same concern here. If I buy a Zoot for $200, am I only delaying the inevitable purchase of the $400+ suit??

If I ever do the rennet I would be planning a couple years ahead of time to get my logistics planned out and would appreciate any help.

Wetsuits....I'm assuming that you're going to be racing triathlon for a few years so my advice is to NOT skimp on quality.  Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the brands you mentioned.  I have raced in the Blue Seventy Helix most of my triathlon career.   I would lean towards the snug side because if you get a size too big then it can fill up with too much water.  If you lose any more body weight due to increased training that would only get worse.  

I wouldn't use the wetsuit in the pool more than one time just to make totally sure it fits and to see how your shoulder area feels with a snug fitted wetsuit.  Make sure to thoroughly rinse the suit after being in the pool.

I have to get on my soapbox here and say that I'm not a fan of people going to a local shop to try something on and then leaving and ordering online. I don't mind paying a little more at a local shop because the in-person service they provide (short-term and long-term) is worth it to me. The staff are more willing to go the extra mile for you if your are a regular paying customer.  Getting off soapbox now

2017-02-10 8:16 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud

I have to get on my soapbox here and say that I'm not a fan of people going to a local shop to try something on and then leaving and ordering online. I don't mind paying a little more at a local shop because the in-person service they provide (short-term and long-term) is worth it to me. The staff are more willing to go the extra mile for you if your are a regular paying customer.  Getting off soapbox now

I couldn't agree more and I should've been more clear. I would order online and pickup from the same shop! (and get a 5% discount though my company ) It's Norway's biggest online bikeshop, but they also have an "LBS" that is an hour's drive from my house. I can then try it on in the shop and exchange for a different size if needed...instead of having it shipped to the house, try it on, and then ship back, etc. I am also not a fan of "trying in the shop" and buying online to save a buck...

Thanks for the tips by the way! I can get my hands on a bluesevently wetsuits at a shop in Oslo. I wouldn't get the discount but they do have a couple models available. There I'd be better off waiting for a sale, if they ever do one!!

2017-02-14 5:31 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Subject: RE: Standard cut-off times
I'm planning my first triathlon and due to scheduling issues and being late to sign up for a targeted tri (no idea it would fill up in less than a week), I'm now considering a half-IM distance race called Challenge of Norway. 1900m swim, 90km ride, and 21,1km run. As mentioned previously, I'm most concerned about the swim, but I'm training for it, and it is mandatory wetsuit, so I feel like I'll be fine by the time August gets here. But, I've been reading the handbook and the cut-off times have me a bit concerned:

Swim: 1:10 into the race
Ride: 4:10 into the race
Run: 7:30 into the race

I assume I won't need 1:10 for the swim, but I honestly don't know that for fact. But if I use that as a starting point, then that means I have 3 hours for the bike, and that's where I am concerned a bit. I can maintain 30 km/hr on group rides, etc. But I've never had to hold that pace by myself (no draft) after having swum 1900m. Is 3 hrs for the bike leg normal? Am I overreacting to this? I don't have a tri-bike, and don't intend to buy one (yet). Clip-ons was the only thing I was really considering for my road bike for this race.

Conversely I can't understand how the race organizers only give 3 hrs for the bike, but give 3:20 for the half mary??

2017-02-14 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Standard cut-off times

Originally posted by flyor64 I'm planning my first triathlon and due to scheduling issues and being late to sign up for a targeted tri (no idea it would fill up in less than a week), I'm now considering a half-IM distance race called Challenge of Norway. 1900m swim, 90km ride, and 21,1km run. As mentioned previously, I'm most concerned about the swim, but I'm training for it, and it is mandatory wetsuit, so I feel like I'll be fine by the time August gets here. But, I've been reading the handbook and the cut-off times have me a bit concerned: Swim: 1:10 into the race Ride: 4:10 into the race Run: 7:30 into the race I assume I won't need 1:10 for the swim, but I honestly don't know that for fact. But if I use that as a starting point, then that means I have 3 hours for the bike, and that's where I am concerned a bit. I can maintain 30 km/hr on group rides, etc. But I've never had to hold that pace by myself (no draft) after having swum 1900m. Is 3 hrs for the bike leg normal? Am I overreacting to this? I don't have a tri-bike, and don't intend to buy one (yet). Clip-ons was the only thing I was really considering for my road bike for this race. Conversely I can't understand how the race organizers only give 3 hrs for the bike, but give 3:20 for the half mary??

Ironman 70.3 Norway uses the following cutoffs: swim 1:10, swim+bike 5:30, swim+bike+run 8:30 which is typical for 70.3 events I think.  So, a 3 hour bike cutoff seems pretty stiff.  I qualified for the 70.3 World Championships at IM 70.3 Racine with a 2:22 bike split which was top 5 for my age group.  Maybe its a typo?  Its worth emailing the race director to clarify. 

I would highly recommend getting clip-on aerobars for your road bike.  I raced my first 2 IM with clip-ons on my road bike before I got my TT bike.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22

Started by Dominion
Views: 27703 Posts: 534

2017-12-27 3:42 PM Dominion

More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102

Started by cdban66
Views: 51867 Posts: 2530

2017-09-01 11:04 AM cdban66

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38376 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31