Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2017-01-22 10:53 AM
in reply to: rtptjd

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Women Ready to Tri - OPEN

Originally posted by rtptjd Thanks Nicole for your response. Right now I'm trying to come up with some kind of consistent training plan. I'm just getting started, with a goal of 3 bike rides per week, 2 swims, 2 runs, and strength training 2x/wk. I do have some flexibility in my schedule, which is good, but I'm having problems finding a "rest" day and still getting everything in! It appears I'm gonna have to get my happy carcass up out of bed before work a few mornings a week and train. Doable, most definitely, although I have to say it will be tough for me. Not really a "morning" type of person. I've learned in the past that once I get up and actually get MOVING I am much better. I think I'll just have to gut it out for the initial few weeks and it'll be a little easier. My training thus far has lacked organization: the week that's finishing up now, I biked 1 day, swam twice, and ran once. I find I end up doing whatever I think is easiest at the particular time or day--i.e. good weather I may go ride or run outdoors, if it's crappy I may go to the weight room or hit the treadmill, and if the pool isn't crowded I may swim. Oh yeah, I'm finding out now that approach just doesn't cut it. How I completed my first sprint in 2014 with "training" like this is beyond me. I realize I was very lucky to finish without being injured. I appreciate your offer of some training programs. I'm looking at lots of them right now and trying to come up with something that I believe will work for me--including those morning workouts. By all means if you (or anyone else!) have tips on how to get up early and get moving in the mornings, send 'em my way! Thanks again for your help. Becky P.S. Sorry, forgot to include my goals for 2017 season: finish 2 sprint tri's, one on 6/17/17 and the other undecided. Looking forward to 2018, I'd like to do at least one Olympic distance race!

Three bike sessions and 2-3 swim sessions per week is great!  Do you have a trainer, or is all of your riding outside?  Do you have a heart rate monitor or do you base your efforts on feel?

As for running, I am of the opinion that twice a week is just too little.  If you are willing to run 4-5 times a week, that would make a huge difference, I think!  Not all runs have to be long....and certainly should not be hard.  If you could manage to do two runs at 15 minutes, two at 30 minutes, and possibly one more run at 45 minutes, that would put you squarely in the "I'm going to race this sprint and finish strong!" category, versus "I hope I survive!"  The short runs could be immediately after biking or swimming, so it still feels like one training session and doesn't eat up your whole day.

Though I suspect morning training may become a necessity.  I know it did for me!  I train before work five days a week, and most days are double sessions, so I also train after work.  But I fully admit that I train a lot and that's not everyone's cup of tea. 

2017-01-22 8:26 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Decorah, Iowa
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by rtptjd Thanks Nicole for your response. Right now I'm trying to come up with some kind of consistent training plan. I'm just getting started, with a goal of 3 bike rides per week, 2 swims, 2 runs, and strength training 2x/wk. I do have some flexibility in my schedule, which is good, but I'm having problems finding a "rest" day and still getting everything in! It appears I'm gonna have to get my happy carcass up out of bed before work a few mornings a week and train. Doable, most definitely, although I have to say it will be tough for me. Not really a "morning" type of person. I've learned in the past that once I get up and actually get MOVING I am much better. I think I'll just have to gut it out for the initial few weeks and it'll be a little easier. My training thus far has lacked organization: the week that's finishing up now, I biked 1 day, swam twice, and ran once. I find I end up doing whatever I think is easiest at the particular time or day--i.e. good weather I may go ride or run outdoors, if it's crappy I may go to the weight room or hit the treadmill, and if the pool isn't crowded I may swim. Oh yeah, I'm finding out now that approach just doesn't cut it. How I completed my first sprint in 2014 with "training" like this is beyond me. I realize I was very lucky to finish without being injured. I appreciate your offer of some training programs. I'm looking at lots of them right now and trying to come up with something that I believe will work for me--including those morning workouts. By all means if you (or anyone else!) have tips on how to get up early and get moving in the mornings, send 'em my way! Thanks again for your help. Becky P.S. Sorry, forgot to include my goals for 2017 season: finish 2 sprint tri's, one on 6/17/17 and the other undecided. Looking forward to 2018, I'd like to do at least one Olympic distance race!

Three bike sessions and 2-3 swim sessions per week is great!  Do you have a trainer, or is all of your riding outside?  Do you have a heart rate monitor or do you base your efforts on feel?

As for running, I am of the opinion that twice a week is just too little.  If you are willing to run 4-5 times a week, that would make a huge difference, I think!  Not all runs have to be long....and certainly should not be hard.  If you could manage to do two runs at 15 minutes, two at 30 minutes, and possibly one more run at 45 minutes, that would put you squarely in the "I'm going to race this sprint and finish strong!" category, versus "I hope I survive!"  The short runs could be immediately after biking or swimming, so it still feels like one training session and doesn't eat up your whole day.

Though I suspect morning training may become a necessity.  I know it did for me!  I train before work five days a week, and most days are double sessions, so I also train after work.  But I fully admit that I train a lot and that's not everyone's cup of tea. 

I'm with you on the getting up in the morning - it is really hard for me too. What I'm doing right now is scheduled my group training (Masters swim practice) or Spin class (which I pay a lot for!) for the earliest morning workouts. Having people that I'm accountable to - or a class that I've paid a lot for helps.

I'm finding though, I'm a better lunch-time or after-work athlete. My mind is usually spinning with my to-do list in the morning.
2017-01-23 12:19 PM
in reply to: kate-iowa

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Funny how different people prefer different things.  I absolutely HATE lunch workouts....admittedly, I'm a heavy sweater, so if I were going to train, I'd need to have a shower available.  And if I'm going to keep lunch to roughly an hour, and need to waste time on a shower and getting to/from wherever my training is, all the sudden I only have time for like 15 minutes of training.

I love my morning workouts....it sets my day off in a good trajectory.  My evening workouts are usually decent as well, with the exception of when work is crazy and I can't get out anywhere near on time.  Because of that, I generally do my intensity training in the morning, and easy stuff in the evenings....can cut the easy stuff a bit short if necessary.

2017-01-23 2:38 PM
in reply to: Kate Elliott

User image

Veteran
If it's not too late, I'd like to join the group.

I'm Laura.
About seven years ago I spent a couple of years in the sport completing races from Sprint to HIM. I dropped out for several years and started training last season completing two Sprint races and losing 95 lbs. This season I plan on a progression from Sprint to Olympic distance races. I work with an online coach and would like to add some peer-to-peer contact in my life. There is a local tri club in a neighboring town here in East Tennessee, but I haven't been able to connect much with them due to shift work. I look forward to getting to know you all better.
2017-01-24 5:31 PM

User image

Decorah, Iowa

Funny how different people prefer different things.  I absolutely HATE lunch workouts....admittedly, I'm a heavy sweater, so if I were going to train, I'd need to have a shower available.  And if I'm going to keep lunch to roughly an hour, and need to waste time on a shower and getting to/from wherever my training is, all the sudden I only have time for like 15 minutes of training.

I love my morning workouts....it sets my day off in a good trajectory.  My evening workouts are usually decent as well, with the exception of when work is crazy and I can't get out anywhere near on time.  Because of that, I generally do my intensity training in the morning, and easy stuff in the evenings....can cut the easy stuff a bit short if necessary.

LOVE IT!

Heavy sweater - that could be my Super-Hero power

There is a reason why I swim
2017-01-24 5:35 PM
in reply to: Episcopit

User image

Decorah, Iowa
Originally posted by Episcopit

I'm Laura.
About seven years ago I spent a couple of years in the sport completing races from Sprint to HIM. I dropped out for several years and started training last season completing two Sprint races and losing 95 lbs. This season I plan on a progression from Sprint to Olympic distance races. I work with an online coach and would like to add some peer-to-peer contact in my life. There is a local tri club in a neighboring town here in East Tennessee, but I haven't been able to connect much with them due to shift work. I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Hi Laura! Welcome! We'd love additional energy. Congrats on your accomplishments so far!

It sounds like your pretty well set up with coaching, but what do you miss most about the peer-to-peer contact?

Kate

2017-01-24 11:13 PM
in reply to: kate-iowa

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by kate-iowa

I'm Laura.

Hi Laura! Welcome! We'd love additional energy. Congrats on your accomplishments so far!

It sounds like your pretty well set up with coaching, but what do you miss most about the peer-to-peer contact?

Kate

I'm looking for normalization of a lifestyle that includes triathlon. While my friends and coworkers are supportive, there are things that they just don't get:

- I pack a generally healthy "lunch" to work every night
- I'm trying to add workouts on my twelve-hour workdays. It's a pretty common mantra to hear that "all I do on workdays is eat sleep and work. Life happens on my days off". I'm assured that people accomplish workouts and long shifts, and at one point in my life I even did it, but now on some days it just seems impossible to have the energy to train for an hour and stay awake at three in the morning
- I'm about more than losing weight. Sure I've lost a significant amount of weight, but I haven't done it by training for triathlons. I'm able to train for triathlons because I've lost weight by changing the way I eat
- I like talking about kit, gear and gadgets related to training
2017-02-08 7:30 PM

User image

Hello Kate,
My name is Angela. I have the goal of completing the Iron Man 70.3 in July. I was in XC in college about 5 years ago. Having my weight creep up has been discouraging. The biggest journey aside from the physical distance and endurance, is the mental grit that you need when you are an overweight athlete.
I have a full-time desk job at a non-profit, but I also work out in the evenings after work ends ( about 9 p.m.) I work out late and then my post-run meal is usually even later. My schedule is what I struggle with.
I did advanced swimming classes in college (where stroke and form was the emphasis), so I haven't actually been spending a lot of time in the pool, but the most I have swam in one sitting was one mile. I have two half marathons under my belt, countless 5K's and 10Ks.
While it is cold outside I have been indoor cycling at the gym and on their indoor bike, have about 4 minutes a mile as my average speed, while keeping cadence of 85-95 rpm.
Figuring out how to match my training schedule ( which starts in March) with my work and family life will be a feat.

I also consider myself a Yogi

Weight loss is a goal of mine. Even when I was 40 pounds lighter, I still always felt fat. The hardest part is choosing to love yourself, when you are still working on being the best version of yourself. My goal weight loss is to lose 50 pounds. I've always been bigger, even as a kid. The frustrating piece is wanting your weight to drop down, while you gain muscle mass.
Gaining muscle while loosing fat is a hard uphill battle.
2017-02-09 7:51 AM
in reply to: Episcopit

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'm looking for normalization of a lifestyle that includes triathlon. While my friends and coworkers are supportive, there are things that they just don't get:

- I'm trying to add workouts on my twelve-hour workdays. It's a pretty common mantra to hear that "all I do on workdays is eat sleep and work. Life happens on my days off". I'm assured that people accomplish workouts and long shifts, and at one point in my life I even did it, but now on some days it just seems impossible to have the energy to train for an hour and stay awake at three in the morning

- I'm about more than losing weight. Sure I've lost a significant amount of weight, but I haven't done it by training for triathlons. I'm able to train for triathlons because I've lost weight by changing the way I eat

I totally get what you're saying!  I pack a healthy lunch for work every day.  A few times a month, we have lunch meetings, where they cater lunch (usually with crap I don't eat, like fried catfish or Mexican food with tons of beans and cheese).  Literally every single time, someone comments on my eating habits (like, "Oh, what's Nicole eating today?" or "You have such strong will power" or "I wish I could do that")....and last month, I was responded by saying, "I'm glad we can discuss my eating habits all the time....can we schedule a meeting to do so again next month?"  Guess what -- no one commented this month!

I also work long days (not shift work, though) and have a demanding job.  If I let myself, I could work many additional hours, but I choose to make my training a priority.  I value my work-life balance and I'm certain it makes me a more productive, healthy, well-balanced employee.....and if anyone were to ever call me out on it, we'd have a very serious discussion if this was the right position for me.

As for having the energy and potentially losing weight, make sure you are fueling yourself with healthy options and that you are hydrating sufficiently.  If I'm ever falling behind on either of those, I can tell.  If I'm feeling sluggish, I look at what I'm eating and make sure I don't have crap in there.....I find adding good fats (think avocado, almonds, EVOO) really turns things around quickly.

2017-02-09 7:54 AM
in reply to: anime_lover1992

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by anime_lover1992 Hello Kate, My name is Angela. I have the goal of completing the Iron Man 70.3 in July. I was in XC in college about 5 years ago. Having my weight creep up has been discouraging. The biggest journey aside from the physical distance and endurance, is the mental grit that you need when you are an overweight athlete. I have a full-time desk job at a non-profit, but I also work out in the evenings after work ends ( about 9 p.m.) I work out late and then my post-run meal is usually even later. My schedule is what I struggle with. I did advanced swimming classes in college (where stroke and form was the emphasis), so I haven't actually been spending a lot of time in the pool, but the most I have swam in one sitting was one mile. I have two half marathons under my belt, countless 5K's and 10Ks. While it is cold outside I have been indoor cycling at the gym and on their indoor bike, have about 4 minutes a mile as my average speed, while keeping cadence of 85-95 rpm. Figuring out how to match my training schedule ( which starts in March) with my work and family life will be a feat. I also consider myself a Yogi Weight loss is a goal of mine. Even when I was 40 pounds lighter, I still always felt fat. The hardest part is choosing to love yourself, when you are still working on being the best version of yourself. My goal weight loss is to lose 50 pounds. I've always been bigger, even as a kid. The frustrating piece is wanting your weight to drop down, while you gain muscle mass. Gaining muscle while loosing fat is a hard uphill battle.

XC and swimming background?  You're gonna kick butt!  Welcome!

As I mentioned in my last post, make sure you're eating good, healthy, nutritional food and hydrating sufficiently.  Working until 9pm and then training and eating after would definitely not be ideal for me (I'm a morning person....I'm literally getting into bed when you're getting off work!).  What time do you get up in the morning?  Do you have time for lunch training sessions?  Make sure you're getting enough sleep....recovery is a severely undervalued component of triathlon!

2017-02-09 11:33 AM

User image

I usually get up around 11 a.m, as I work 1-9 p.m. My husband doesn't get off work until around midnight, so part of it is wanting to stay up to see him as well.
I wake up earler if I have apts or work trainings. I have a Garmin vivoactive HR that is wonderful for showing me what sleep I get nightly, as well as myfitnesspal is what I am using to log my daily calories.

I realized I wasn't eating enough for my body each day ( I'm just so busy at work!!), which might explain my body storing fat as a survival mechanism.

I can't help but feel that the calorie restriction of myfitness pal for weight loss isn't really going to help me train for the Ironman 70.3. It's the most comprehensive tool that I have found, it even tells me if I keep up whatever calories input, that I will weigh X number of lbs in 5 wks.

I drink about 70 oz of water a day ( which also helps the moving out of my office for water breaks thing).
My current diet is about 1680 calories a day, in order for me to lose 2 lbs per week.

2017-02-11 12:28 AM

User image

Veteran

I totally get what you're saying!  I pack a healthy lunch for work every day.  A few times a month, we have lunch meetings, where they cater lunch (usually with crap I don't eat, like fried catfish or Mexican food with tons of beans and cheese).  Literally every single time, someone comments on my eating habits (like, "Oh, what's Nicole eating today?" or "You have such strong will power" or "I wish I could do that")....and last month, I was responded by saying, "I'm glad we can discuss my eating habits all the time....can we schedule a meeting to do so again next month?"  Guess what -- no one commented this month!

I also work long days (not shift work, though) and have a demanding job.  If I let myself, I could work many additional hours, but I choose to make my training a priority.  I value my work-life balance and I'm certain it makes me a more productive, healthy, well-balanced employee.....and if anyone were to ever call me out on it, we'd have a very serious discussion if this was the right position for me.

As for having the energy and potentially losing weight, make sure you are fueling yourself with healthy options and that you are hydrating sufficiently.  If I'm ever falling behind on either of those, I can tell.  If I'm feeling sluggish, I look at what I'm eating and make sure I don't have crap in there.....I find adding good fats (think avocado, almonds, EVOO) really turns things around quickly.

There are advantages. I don't have to label my food in the staff refrigerator because everyone recognizes what I bring.

I'm use to skipping the moral building food, as like your lunches, they are normally things I just don't want to put in my body.

I've got a few days off work now. I've promised myself I'm going to take them no matter who calls to afford me the opportunity to come in for incentive pay.
2017-02-20 1:51 PM

User image

I wanted to know with my cycling times of 4 minutes a mile with cadence of 85-93 RPM if that is where I need to be for the Iron-Man 70.3 I am doing in July. Also I swam 1.2 miles in 24 minutes. Is that a good or bad time? I am just trying to get a sense of where I am at. My running, well that is a work in progress. I did 12:12 for my mile the other day. I have an annoying Achilles tendon that will flare up at random. I know that the course where I will be running is full of hills. How do I prepare for the hills, without risking over-training and hurting myself?
Thanks
2017-02-20 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by anime_lover1992 I wanted to know with my cycling times of 4 minutes a mile with cadence of 85-93 RPM if that is where I need to be for the Iron-Man 70.3 I am doing in July. Also I swam 1.2 miles in 24 minutes. Is that a good or bad time? I am just trying to get a sense of where I am at. My running, well that is a work in progress. I did 12:12 for my mile the other day. I have an annoying Achilles tendon that will flare up at random. I know that the course where I will be running is full of hills. How do I prepare for the hills, without risking over-training and hurting myself? Thanks

Swimming 1.2 miles in 24 minutes is like pro-level fast!  Where did you swim this?  In the pool or open water?  How did you determine the distance?  I'm only asking because that kind of time is very (VERY) good and generally people swimming that kind of time won't be asking "is that good or bad?"  But hopefully everything checks out because that's really awesome!

Biking 4 min/mile = 15 mph.  Assuming the course is similar to where you're riding and you've put in the work to sustain that (plus swim before and run after), that would put you at about a 3h 45m bike split.

You get 8.5 hours to complete a HIM, so it sounds like you're on your way.  Keep up the training and you'll continue to make progress.

As for run training -- imo, your best bet is a lot of easy running on flat surfaces.  Don't worry about hill work or speed work or anything like that....keep the running easy (conversational, low HR) and consistent.  The worst way to "prepare" for a race is to overdo it and get yourself injured.  Just know that when you race, you may have to walk some of the hills, but that beats not making it to the start line!  Keep the Achilles happy in the meantime.

2017-02-20 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I had some blood work done last week and it turns out I'm slightly low in Iron (not at the point of being anemic yet), Vitamin D, and Vitamin B12.  I'd like to get these levels up by adding nutrient-rich foods to my diet, rather than using supplements, but I'm also cognizant of the fact that some supplements may be necessary.

Anyone else get blood work done regularly?  Anyone make changes to their diets as a result of the results?  Anyone have supplements that they like / recommend?

I don't eat a lot of red meat, but I'll be adding it back into my diet (started today even!).  I generally eat a good amount of nutrient-rich foods (leafy greens, yogurt, milk, eggs, good fats), but the seafood around here has left a lot to be desired, so I don't eat much fish and haven't been eating much red meat either.  Will be experimenting for the next several weeks and may see if I can get another round of lab work done and decide if I want to supplement. 

2017-02-20 7:16 PM

Hi Kate!
I would love to join your group. I could really use the advise and encouragement of others as I haven't met very many people in the tri community yet.
I started with sprint distance 2 years ago and again last year. This year I am planning Olympic distance the end of June and potentially HIM mid July.
I get frustrated with training as I work in the greenhouse industry so from mid April to end of June I don't have a single day off. It gets exhausting and trying suffers as my motivation declines. I'm currently winter "training". I do yoga 2x/week, run on the treadmill 4x/week and weight train 2-3x/week. I'm dealing with periformis issues that have not made biking pleasant and I got back into the pool last week for the first time.
Thanks for mentoring!

2017-02-21 8:37 AM
in reply to: khymkreider

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by khymkreider Hi Kate! I would love to join your group. I could really use the advise and encouragement of others as I haven't met very many people in the tri community yet. I started with sprint distance 2 years ago and again last year. This year I am planning Olympic distance the end of June and potentially HIM mid July. I get frustrated with training as I work in the greenhouse industry so from mid April to end of June I don't have a single day off. It gets exhausting and trying suffers as my motivation declines. I'm currently winter "training". I do yoga 2x/week, run on the treadmill 4x/week and weight train 2-3x/week. I'm dealing with periformis issues that have not made biking pleasant and I got back into the pool last week for the first time. Thanks for mentoring!

I'm not Kate, but I'm sure she'll welcome you, so I'll just say "welcome to the group!"

Where do you live?  Which races are you looking at (the Oly in June and the HIM in July)?  Do you have any other options?  The reason I'm asking is that if you know your schedule will be packed and you may not get adequate training in during the months of April through June, maybe these two races aren't the best ones to target.  Do you have any options for, say, September?

What are you doing to treat the piriformis issue?  Have you tried foam rolling (or rolling with a softball)?  Certainly not pleasant, but it goes a long way to clearing up piriformis issues!

2017-02-21 1:41 PM

User image

I swam that in the pool doing laps, but my Garmin has a GPS tracker. So I entered the distance in meters that the pool was and just started swimming. I was going to join my college's swim team , but it conflicted with my class schedule. I did strength training workouts with the swim team though. My arms have a lot more definition and strength to them ( thanks to HIIT and pilates).
I don't mean to sound like a goober, but I am the first person out of anyone I know, or anyone in my entire family to attempt something like this. It's not something that my friends or coworkers or family is doing. Just me, so I am very glad that I found this forum for input and advice.

For the HIM regs online, it didn't state a specific swim stroke. I am fastest with my backstroke, but I want to make sure that whatever I pick, keeps me safe and aware of the other competitors around me. Is there a stroke that is most commonly used?
Thanks
2017-02-21 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Most people will swim freestyle.  Some people will breast stroke (or breast stroke for part of it to catch their breath and/or sight), but if you choose to breast stroke, place yourself on the outside so the wide kick won't impact others.  Some people will flip over and backstroke a little bit to catch their breath, but it is nearly impossible to sight in open water doing backstroke, so it shouldn't be your primary stroke.

Do you have access to a masters group?  Or any private instruction?  If not, youtube has lots of videos on freestyle technique and you can even try to get some video of yourself from the deck (though I'm not an expert by any means and probably cannot provide much meaningful feedback....but I do know people who can!).

2017-02-27 10:24 PM

User image

I should be able to get my husband to take a video. The hardest part was that I favor my left side ( being left dominant) when I swim, I also felt some pretty uncomfortable cramping. Perhaps I need to have better breath control, or get more oxygen into my lungs going at that speed.
2017-03-02 4:10 PM

Hi Nicole,
I live outside of Milwaukee, Wi. I'm looking at the Bigfoot tri in June and the Door County 70.3 in July. Not really any other options this year due to other commitments. I've done Bigfoot the last couple of years and its gone well, It's the longer distance in July that makes me a bit nervous. I just met with a new physical therapist and am meeting with a chiropractor in about a week, keeping my fingers crossed for positive results!

2017-03-06 3:12 PM

User image

I dont really have access to a Master's group because the one locally conflicts with my work schedule. Speaking of work, my job has a wellness scholarship to pay for a gym membership, so I should be able to hit the pool more often. I am currently involved with a gym, but it doesn't have a pool.
2017-03-21 2:12 PM

User image

Hey Kate! I was perusing the mentor groups and really like the vibe of this one. My name is Maria, 48 years old. I've always been the athletic type but got into triathlons until a few years ago. I've completed 3 sprints and 2 Olympics since 2013. I'm very disciplined when it comes to following a training plan and getting in decent shape...it's the staying in decent shape that seems to be the issue. LOL!

Currently, I swim with a great masters team two days per week - most sessions are about 1.5 miles or more in an hour or so, depending on the structure of the workout. I'm running very consistently 5-6 days a week (20mpw +) following a training plan and raining for a local half marathon in NY in May. I do double sessions some days and jump on the bike for 30 -45min 1-2 times per week.

Not any triathlons in my future this year as I have a summer of some big life events and just don't have the funds to do a lot of races. And I really need a new bike - my current road bike is like 12 years old and I find it very uncomfortable. saving for my first tri bike now and a proper fitting.

I've never been a fast runner, which is fine but I'm slower than normal, which I think is directly related to the extra poundage I'm hauling around. My first half marathon 3 years ago I did 2:19, then last one this past fall was a 2:43...OUCH! The hope for this may's half marathon is to come in more around 2:30.

So what are my goals for this year:
1.complete half marathon in may at 2:30 or faster)
2. continue focusing on losing 15-20lbs. I'm currently 5'1" and 146....YIKES! but its not all blubber, I'm quite muscular and am in better shape than my running speed suggests
3. start doing biking 2xweek in addition to my 2 swims per week. Ideally, I would like to keep myself conditioned for half marathons (not so much for speed but for staying in good enough base shape to eventually take on a 70.3 in 2018.
4. improve my mental game! What I mean by this is that I get tired and uncomfortable in a race and then I let the self doubt and stuff creep in which creates the battle in my head to keep on pushing through and finishing strong.
I look forward to being a part of your group and talking with other like minded women.
Thanks

2017-03-21 2:35 PM

Lilburn, Georgia
Super late to the game, but I'd like to join if you're still welcoming people!

NAME: Christina

STORY: I've never done a triathlon! I'm just starting to train for my first (a sprint in June). I'm also about to move from Nashville, where I was just really getting into a groove with a local running group after finishing my first 5K (well, my first where I didn't stop to walk any of it). I'm trying to find a good training group in the Atlanta area, but really just want to have a group of peers to chat with and who can help hold me accountable.

I grew up playing softball, and swimming as a kid, but after college and starting my career, I realized I wasn't staying in shape like I wanted to. I lived in Wisconsin for about 4 years where I mostly just played a lot of team sports. But I also started volunteering for the Ironman Wisconsin in Madison back in 2013 or so, and just fell in love with watching people constantly do what I thought was impossible. Then one day, I said, hey, why don't I try to do a tri myself?

I've also always hated running, so I'm trying to get past that, and all the cross-training w/ swimming and biking does wonders.

FAMILY STATUS: Just me and the bf, and my pup

CURRENT TRAINING: Just started an 11 week training program for newbie triathletes, which I kind of integrated with a 10K training program. Right now, I'm running 3x/wk, swimming 1x, and biking 1x. Over the next few weeks it bumps the swimming and biking up to 2x/wk, while still running 2-3x.

2017 RACES: Planning on the Callaway Gardens Sprint Tri in Georgia, and a Disney 10K in LA in May. My only goal is to do it. When I do, if I like it, I want to consider additional races and distances.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 20lbs or so since January just from eating healthy and exercising. I don't have any specific goals in this arena - I just want to keep being healthy and making progress.
2017-03-23 8:51 PM

User image

Decorah, Iowa

I had some blood work done last week and it turns out I'm slightly low in Iron (not at the point of being anemic yet), Vitamin D, and Vitamin B12.  I'd like to get these levels up by adding nutrient-rich foods to my diet, rather than using supplements, but I'm also cognizant of the fact that some supplements may be necessary.

Anyone else get blood work done regularly?  Anyone make changes to their diets as a result of the results?  Anyone have supplements that they like / recommend?

I don't eat a lot of red meat, but I'll be adding it back into my diet (started today even!).  I generally eat a good amount of nutrient-rich foods (leafy greens, yogurt, milk, eggs, good fats), but the seafood around here has left a lot to be desired, so I don't eat much fish and haven't been eating much red meat either.  Will be experimenting for the next several weeks and may see if I can get another round of lab work done and decide if I want to supplement. 

I don't get blood work done, but I feel like I should. I'm with you on the supplement thing - I just don't like putting things in my body other than food (I'm even having trouble with gels etc on my longer rides, yuck!) But I get that iron is important - and if the red meat is an option, best to go there first. Keep us posted!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Women Ready to Tri - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22

Started by Dominion
Views: 27725 Posts: 534

2017-12-27 3:42 PM Dominion

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41269 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38426 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : July 26, 2012
author : juliapurr
comments : 2
Learn what to do and what not to do during your taper. Learn how to taper best if you have multiple races on your schedule.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I'm not sure if one of these models is better, both are from 2009 aluminum/carbon combinations. I realize this is a difficult question but any thoughts as which bike is better for a woman?
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.