Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2017-03-23 8:56 PM
in reply to: cehartlage

User image

Decorah, Iowa
Subject: RE: Women Ready to Tri - OPEN
Originally posted by cehartlage

Super late to the game, but I'd like to join if you're still welcoming people!

NAME: Christina

STORY: I've never done a triathlon! I'm just starting to train for my first (a sprint in June). I'm also about to move from Nashville, where I was just really getting into a groove with a local running group after finishing my first 5K (well, my first where I didn't stop to walk any of it). I'm trying to find a good training group in the Atlanta area, but really just want to have a group of peers to chat with and who can help hold me accountable.

I grew up playing softball, and swimming as a kid, but after college and starting my career, I realized I wasn't staying in shape like I wanted to. I lived in Wisconsin for about 4 years where I mostly just played a lot of team sports. But I also started volunteering for the Ironman Wisconsin in Madison back in 2013 or so, and just fell in love with watching people constantly do what I thought was impossible. Then one day, I said, hey, why don't I try to do a tri myself?

I've also always hated running, so I'm trying to get past that, and all the cross-training w/ swimming and biking does wonders.

FAMILY STATUS: Just me and the bf, and my pup

CURRENT TRAINING: Just started an 11 week training program for newbie triathletes, which I kind of integrated with a 10K training program. Right now, I'm running 3x/wk, swimming 1x, and biking 1x. Over the next few weeks it bumps the swimming and biking up to 2x/wk, while still running 2-3x.

2017 RACES: Planning on the Callaway Gardens Sprint Tri in Georgia, and a Disney 10K in LA in May. My only goal is to do it. When I do, if I like it, I want to consider additional races and distances.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 20lbs or so since January just from eating healthy and exercising. I don't have any specific goals in this arena - I just want to keep being healthy and making progress.

Hi! You are totally welcome - Nicole is doing a great job keeping up with training questions. She's got a lot of experience here. I love your story -- It sounds like your current training is right about on - at least it is similar to what I did for my first season, except for the swim. Do you feel pretty confident in the pool still from your youth swimming. I'm a swimmer myself, but I know that it is a lot of peoples' weak leg. Do you feel like you are getting the feel for the water? Other than that -- keep on keeping on. Let us know what you need and if you have questions!

2017-03-23 8:59 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Decorah, Iowa
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by rtptjd Thanks Nicole for your response. Right now I'm trying to come up with some kind of consistent training plan. I'm just getting started, with a goal of 3 bike rides per week, 2 swims, 2 runs, and strength training 2x/wk. I do have some flexibility in my schedule, which is good, but I'm having problems finding a "rest" day and still getting everything in! It appears I'm gonna have to get my happy carcass up out of bed before work a few mornings a week and train. Doable, most definitely, although I have to say it will be tough for me. Not really a "morning" type of person. I've learned in the past that once I get up and actually get MOVING I am much better. I think I'll just have to gut it out for the initial few weeks and it'll be a little easier. My training thus far has lacked organization: the week that's finishing up now, I biked 1 day, swam twice, and ran once. I find I end up doing whatever I think is easiest at the particular time or day--i.e. good weather I may go ride or run outdoors, if it's crappy I may go to the weight room or hit the treadmill, and if the pool isn't crowded I may swim. Oh yeah, I'm finding out now that approach just doesn't cut it. How I completed my first sprint in 2014 with "training" like this is beyond me. I realize I was very lucky to finish without being injured. I appreciate your offer of some training programs. I'm looking at lots of them right now and trying to come up with something that I believe will work for me--including those morning workouts. By all means if you (or anyone else!) have tips on how to get up early and get moving in the mornings, send 'em my way! Thanks again for your help. Becky P.S. Sorry, forgot to include my goals for 2017 season: finish 2 sprint tri's, one on 6/17/17 and the other undecided. Looking forward to 2018, I'd like to do at least one Olympic distance race!

Three bike sessions and 2-3 swim sessions per week is great!  Do you have a trainer, or is all of your riding outside?  Do you have a heart rate monitor or do you base your efforts on feel?

As for running, I am of the opinion that twice a week is just too little.  If you are willing to run 4-5 times a week, that would make a huge difference, I think!  Not all runs have to be long....and certainly should not be hard.  If you could manage to do two runs at 15 minutes, two at 30 minutes, and possibly one more run at 45 minutes, that would put you squarely in the "I'm going to race this sprint and finish strong!" category, versus "I hope I survive!"  The short runs could be immediately after biking or swimming, so it still feels like one training session and doesn't eat up your whole day.

Though I suspect morning training may become a necessity.  I know it did for me!  I train before work five days a week, and most days are double sessions, so I also train after work.  But I fully admit that I train a lot and that's not everyone's cup of tea. 

I hear you both about structure! Honestly, if I wasn't following a plan, I'm not sure that I would always get out to workout. I need to know what's planned so I don't even have to think about it. Nicole's advice is great -- if you could squeeze in a bit more running (my weakest leg!) you'll be well conditioned to crush that sprint tri -- and then focus on your base for an Oly in 2018.
2017-03-23 9:10 PM
in reply to: hilltackler

User image

Decorah, Iowa
Originally posted by hilltackler

Hey Kate! I was perusing the mentor groups and really like the vibe of this one. My name is Maria, 48 years old. I've always been the athletic type but got into triathlons until a few years ago. I've completed 3 sprints and 2 Olympics since 2013. I'm very disciplined when it comes to following a training plan and getting in decent shape...it's the staying in decent shape that seems to be the issue. LOL!

Currently, I swim with a great masters team two days per week - most sessions are about 1.5 miles or more in an hour or so, depending on the structure of the workout. I'm running very consistently 5-6 days a week (20mpw +) following a training plan and raining for a local half marathon in NY in May. I do double sessions some days and jump on the bike for 30 -45min 1-2 times per week.

Not any triathlons in my future this year as I have a summer of some big life events and just don't have the funds to do a lot of races. And I really need a new bike - my current road bike is like 12 years old and I find it very uncomfortable. saving for my first tri bike now and a proper fitting.

I've never been a fast runner, which is fine but I'm slower than normal, which I think is directly related to the extra poundage I'm hauling around. My first half marathon 3 years ago I did 2:19, then last one this past fall was a 2:43...OUCH! The hope for this may's half marathon is to come in more around 2:30.

So what are my goals for this year:
1.complete half marathon in may at 2:30 or faster)
2. continue focusing on losing 15-20lbs. I'm currently 5'1" and 146....YIKES! but its not all blubber, I'm quite muscular and am in better shape than my running speed suggests
3. start doing biking 2xweek in addition to my 2 swims per week. Ideally, I would like to keep myself conditioned for half marathons (not so much for speed but for staying in good enough base shape to eventually take on a 70.3 in 2018.
4. improve my mental game! What I mean by this is that I get tired and uncomfortable in a race and then I let the self doubt and stuff creep in which creates the battle in my head to keep on pushing through and finishing strong.
I look forward to being a part of your group and talking with other like minded women.
Thanks

Welcome! I must admit that I'm struggling with this forum's web structure -- but between Nicole and I we're getting to welcoming everyone! These are great goals and I hear you about the self-doubt talk. I was a distance swimmer all my life, and it is crazy the stuff that creeps in when you are tired, beat down, or just plain in pain. I have found that my yoga practice has really helped in that department -- so my of Iyanger Yoga is holding uncomfortable poses and breathing through them -- I can disconnect from the negative talk a bit better than I used to -- but it is a constant challenge.

Keep on keeping on with the weight loss - if you step up the workouts, that weight will slowly and safely fall off.

Regarding the bike -- can you find a decent road bike used? I would really caution about riding an uncomfortable bike for two reasons 1) obviously, injuries but 2) no one has fun riding an uncomfortable bike! You want to look forward to getting on that thing and crushing the miles. I hear you about the cost thought - several of my tri friends had used bikes professionally fitted. It's a good option!

Thanks for joining us!
2017-03-25 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by hilltackler Hey Kate! I was perusing the mentor groups and really like the vibe of this one. My name is Maria, 48 years old. I've always been the athletic type but got into triathlons until a few years ago. I've completed 3 sprints and 2 Olympics since 2013. I'm very disciplined when it comes to following a training plan and getting in decent shape...it's the staying in decent shape that seems to be the issue. LOL!

Currently, I swim with a great masters team two days per week - most sessions are about 1.5 miles or more in an hour or so, depending on the structure of the workout. I'm running very consistently 5-6 days a week (20mpw +) following a training plan and raining for a local half marathon in NY in May. I do double sessions some days and jump on the bike for 30 -45min 1-2 times per week.

Not any triathlons in my future this year as I have a summer of some big life events and just don't have the funds to do a lot of races. And I really need a new bike - my current road bike is like 12 years old and I find it very uncomfortable. saving for my first tri bike now and a proper fitting.

I've never been a fast runner, which is fine but I'm slower than normal, which I think is directly related to the extra poundage I'm hauling around. My first half marathon 3 years ago I did 2:19, then last one this past fall was a 2:43...OUCH! The hope for this may's half marathon is to come in more around 2:30.

So what are my goals for this year:

1.complete half marathon in may at 2:30 or faster)

2. continue focusing on losing 15-20lbs. I'm currently 5'1" and 146....YIKES! but its not all blubber, I'm quite muscular and am in better shape than my running speed suggests

3. start doing biking 2xweek in addition to my 2 swims per week. Ideally, I would like to keep myself conditioned for half marathons (not so much for speed but for staying in good enough base shape to eventually take on a 70.3 in 2018.

4. improve my mental game! What I mean by this is that I get tired and uncomfortable in a race and then I let the self doubt and stuff creep in which creates the battle in my head to keep on pushing through and finishing strong. I look forward to being a part of your group and talking with other like minded women. Thanks

Welcome, Maria!

First, it's great that you're swimming and running consistently!  Running 5-6x a week is perfect.  How are your runs structured?  If you keep running consistently and remain uninjured, your times WILL come down -- I promise!  For HM distance, I like to be somewhere over 30 miles/week, keeping my long run to no more than 1/3 of the total weekly volume.  Of course, you have to build up to that 30 mpw gradually, or you risk injury.  Running is funny like that....things you try to do to get faster often end up getting you injured, which then makes you slower.  But if you're able to stay un-injured and run consistently, running can be incredibly fulfilling as you watch your paces improve and old PR's get replaced with new ones!

Second, you definitely need a bike that you love!  If you love your bike, you'll want to ride your bike....and if you ride your bike a lot, you WILL get faster  Find a good shop with a good fitter (I'm sure we can help you find one in your area), get a bike fit, get recommendations on which bikes would work for you, decide which bike is best for you (budget, availability, aesthetics all factor in!), have it fit to your specifications, and then ride it like you stole it!

Keep us posted on your run training and half marathon, as well as your bike shopping!  Glad to have you here!

2017-03-25 2:14 PM
in reply to: Christy1201

Yes, those are minutes
2017-03-25 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by cehartlage Super late to the game, but I'd like to join if you're still welcoming people!

NAME: Christina STORY: I've never done a triathlon! I'm just starting to train for my first (a sprint in June). I'm also about to move from Nashville, where I was just really getting into a groove with a local running group after finishing my first 5K (well, my first where I didn't stop to walk any of it). I'm trying to find a good training group in the Atlanta area, but really just want to have a group of peers to chat with and who can help hold me accountable. I grew up playing softball, and swimming as a kid, but after college and starting my career, I realized I wasn't staying in shape like I wanted to. I lived in Wisconsin for about 4 years where I mostly just played a lot of team sports. But I also started volunteering for the Ironman Wisconsin in Madison back in 2013 or so, and just fell in love with watching people constantly do what I thought was impossible. Then one day, I said, hey, why don't I try to do a tri myself? I've also always hated running, so I'm trying to get past that, and all the cross-training w/ swimming and biking does wonders.

FAMILY STATUS: Just me and the bf, and my pup

CURRENT TRAINING: Just started an 11 week training program for newbie triathletes, which I kind of integrated with a 10K training program. Right now, I'm running 3x/wk, swimming 1x, and biking 1x. Over the next few weeks it bumps the swimming and biking up to 2x/wk, while still running 2-3x.

2017 RACES: Planning on the Callaway Gardens Sprint Tri in Georgia, and a Disney 10K in LA in May. My only goal is to do it. When I do, if I like it, I want to consider additional races and distances.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 20lbs or so since January just from eating healthy and exercising. I don't have any specific goals in this arena - I just want to keep being healthy and making progress.

Welcome, Christina!

I used to hate running too!  My knees hurt, my muscles burned, my lungs felt like they were on fire....it sucked.  It wasn't fun.  I didn't get the runner's high that people talked about.  I was super mediocre and not getting any better.  So I started reading about what good runners did in training and quickly realized that a) I was trying to go too hard, and b) I wasn't running enough.  I learned that runs should feel easy, like you could have a conversation with a friend....and that a couple runs a week wasn't going to cut it if I wanted to get faster.  It's counter intuitive that running slower will allow you to race faster, but it works.  If you can build up your volume and stay injury-free, you'll get faster and you'll probably enjoy it more!  That's what happened for me

Very exciting that you'll be doing your first tri this year!  We all look forward to hearing about your journey!

2017-03-28 12:41 PM
in reply to: kate-iowa

User image

Hey Kate,

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. I'm going to schedule a bike fit at this local bike shop. They have a GURU fit system and hopefully some time next month I can schedule a session and find out which bikes fit me best.

I don't do yogo, but I've been doing some short meditation lately which focuses on bringing yourself back to center when your mind wanders during the meditation...I've been trying to apply this to my workouts and in the future a race of two - when I find I'm getting uncomfortable and my mind is telling me to walk during a run - I bring myself back to my center and say "stay within your zone". Seems to be working pretty effectively during my long training runs.

I'm currently following the half marathon plan on BT, which I've followed before with good results. This weeks' workouts were supposed to be fairly challenging however, I've been hampered by a tight IT band going on two weeks. I've been stretching and going easier but it's still there - need to be more diligent with the needed stretching 2x a day as per my myofascial release therapist. So hopefully, this tightness won't hamper my training for too much longer. We shall see...
have a great week!

2017-03-28 12:58 PM

User image

Hey Nicole! THanks for the suggestions and encouragement - much appreciated.

Runs are structured by the BT half marathon plan I've been following - which have some speed, hills and long runs. I've been doing the speed type workouts on the treadmill. I did some of the hill training on the treadmill but not much as it's just not the same as running outside and it bothers my feet a bit. The rest of the runs are "easy" type runs and long runs. I've been really consistent however, I think I was feeling too good and running a bit fast too often and consequently got a bit of IT band inflammation. Which is a bummer but I think it's definitely from over doing the pace.

I took a few days off and reduced mileage/intensity when I first started getting tightness 2 weeks ago; last week I had a light running week and shortened up some of the longer runs. I should mention that when I'm running it doesn't hurt - it's the first few strides until it loosens up and then I'm fine. No knee pain at all. some referred pain to the hip so this week I went to the MFR (myofascial relase) therapist and got a treatment and a list of stretches to do twice a day. So I should be back to healthy in another week or two. But I am going to go easier on the easier days going forward - so like you had mentioned in your reply, I can continue to ramp up the weekly mileage which will hopefully translate to some better times. just have to remind my self to be patient.

have a great week!
maria
2017-04-01 7:56 PM

User image

I have a question about my training schedule. I don't know if you can look at that on my profile, but on average I train 4 days a week. I don't yet have access to a pool, because I am waiting on my work to send payment to the local Y so I can swim and do spin classes. Does my training schedule look too lean?? I have been taking your advice on the building mileage, and my route on my run includes an overpass with sidewalk and about a 90 ft ascent. I am not for sure what else will help me. I am always sore it seems. I am starting running specific drills to improve core strength and flexibility.
Thanks again for your input.
2017-04-05 2:12 PM
in reply to: Kate Elliott

, Maryland
Hello Everyone!

I'm not quite a newbie to triathlons, having run a few sprints last season, but I'm a newbie to this site!!
I'm looking to open up a bit more this year and try an Olympic distance or two. I just need to get off my butt and get back to training (it was a cold winter here in VA).

I'm looking for more interaction with women in this sport over run by men. I for one am sick of constantly getting hit on and just want to train to do my own thing. If there are any women in Northern Virginia looking to share a run or bike day, just hit me up!!!
2017-04-05 4:35 PM
in reply to: anime_lover1992

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by anime_lover1992 I have a question about my training schedule. I don't know if you can look at that on my profile, but on average I train 4 days a week. I don't yet have access to a pool, because I am waiting on my work to send payment to the local Y so I can swim and do spin classes. Does my training schedule look too lean?? I have been taking your advice on the building mileage, and my route on my run includes an overpass with sidewalk and about a 90 ft ascent. I am not for sure what else will help me. I am always sore it seems. I am starting running specific drills to improve core strength and flexibility. Thanks again for your input.

Remind me again what distance you're training for and what your goals are....and also when your race is.  I can see your training logs, but if you're following a certain schedule, I can't see that. 

When do you think you'll be able to have access to the local Y?  How confident are you in your swimming?

2017-04-05 4:37 PM
in reply to: MarathonGirl78

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by MarathonGirl78 Hello Everyone! I'm not quite a newbie to triathlons, having run a few sprints last season, but I'm a newbie to this site!! I'm looking to open up a bit more this year and try an Olympic distance or two. I just need to get off my butt and get back to training (it was a cold winter here in VA). I'm looking for more interaction with women in this sport over run by men. I for one am sick of constantly getting hit on and just want to train to do my own thing. If there are any women in Northern Virginia looking to share a run or bike day, just hit me up!!!

Welcome!  I raced Galveston 70.3 this past weekend and they had a "Women for Tri" hat that I really wanted, but the line was so long and I really didn't want to be on my feet too much the day before the race.  I'm kicking myself for having not bought it, but I think I might buy it and deal with the fact that I now have to pay for shipping!

Having a group of supportive women is great, so I'm glad you're here!  Which races are you looking at this year?  Looking forward to coming along on your journey

2017-04-09 9:31 AM

User image

My distance is a IronMan 70.3, It's on July 8th. My goals is to find the right products to maintain hydration during a race in the summer in the middle of Indiana (yikes!!)I took advanced swimming in college where my tests were on how correctly I performed certain swim strokes. I didn't pass unless I was 95% accurate or better. I got a scholarship through my work to pay for the Y, and its a matter of me waiting on HR to give me the check so I can start my membership already. I have been following a training plan that I found online, 18 week intermediate Half Iron Man. I have only done OWS twice, and even then where I swam there was less than average water levels. Here is my training plan. I have had to modify it a lot because of when I get off from work, 9 pm , and the fact that sporadically I will have very early am trainings. My work schedule, which then affects my sleep is changed from week to week, so I put in what I can.

Attachments
----------------
Half ironman training.pdf (721KB - 20 downloads)
2017-04-09 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

It really depends on what your goals for the race are as to whether that plan will have you adequately prepared.  In my opinion, the swimming is too little....I like that it has you swimming three times a week (once you're able to get access to the pool), but you only do race distance a handful of times.  I'm a bigger fan of saying something like "swim for an hour three times a week" (with varying intervals, not straight swimming for an hour!) than to suggest getting in to do 1000 yards.  I'll be honest, my warm-up is probably 1000 yard!  It's usually something like 500 steady, and then 500 broken up into drills, kicking, etc. before getting into the main set.  To adequately prepare you for any distance race, I think your main set alone should be at least race distance.

The biking looks okay.  Again, I'm a bigger fan of saying to ride for an hour (of intervals) twice a week, and then doing a longer ride on the weekend.  For example, my typical week will look something like an hour (or slightly longer) with VO2 intervals on Tuesday, and hour (or slightly longer) with threshold intervals on Thursday, and then a long (3-4 hour) ride outside on the weekend with HIM-effort intervals and a bit of threshold/VO2 intervals tossed in for good measure.

The run....that's the place where I have the biggest contention with the plan you posted.  The frequency is simply too low, with the times/distances too high.  If you're going to run 120 minutes (like the first week specifies), I'm of the opinion that you're going to get more and have a lessened chance of injury if you split that up over more than three runs.  If you haven't heard of the BarryP run program, let me know.  I'm a big fan of that.  Running 5-6x a week, with many of the runs being quite short (and all of them easy for a long while), reduces your chance of injury (even though it sounds like it wouldn't...) and increases your odds at improving.  

As for racing in hot climates, I have lots of experience.  I'm not sure what Indiana summers are, but Houston summers are hot and humid....you will have to experiment with what works for you, but you're at an advantage if you train and race in similar climates (versus someone coming from a cool climate and being hit with hot/humid conditions).

2017-04-10 9:49 PM

User image

I haven't heard of the BarryP run program. Just yesterday, I did a very hard for me biking workout, on my road bike for the first time( cue the lube). I was going around 23 mph and there was about 15 mph winds coming right at me. I biked in total about 45 minutes, but it was a 45 hard minutes, so I guess it was a VO2 session.

On the subject of hydration, I am going to get a speedfill for my KHS and use mainly liquid nutrition for my bike ride. Which electrolyte drink have you found to be most helpful? It's expected to be in the low 80's and highly humid that time each year.

The one thing that I need desperately is flexibility in a training schedule. My work hours will vary from week to week. I may be available at 10 am, 5 p.m or 10 p.m. to exercise. I feel that assigning a time of day for a specific activity is counterproductive for me and pointless. It may just be that I need to assign a task to a day and get it done, regardless of time. And, what about strength training? Its invaluable, but it seems that with my current schedule its non-existent.
2017-04-11 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Full information on the BarryP run program:  http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2548394;search_string=barryp%20part%201;#2548394

Cliffs notes version of the BarryP run program:  determine your weekly run volume, divide it over six runs, with three short runs, two medium runs, and one long run.  You take your planned weekly volume (in either miles or minutes), divide it by 10 to figure out the length of the runs.

For example, let's say you want to do 20 miles per week.  20 divided by 10 is 2 -- so you'd do three short runs of 2 miles (1x2), two medium runs of 4 miles (2x2), and one long run of 6 miles (3x2)....as you ramp up (max of 10% per week increase), you may get to 3/6/9 mile runs, or 4/8/12 mile runs, or you could do these in minutes....so 20/30/40 minute runs or 30/60/90 minute runs.  Keep them ALL easy....easy like you could have a conversation with your best friend while running!

As for flexibility in schedule, I fully agree.  Figure out what your "key" sessions are and prioritize those.  If you know that you have a hard bike session to do and a short, easy run....put your hard bike session at a time when you know you'll be able to do it, and the run then becomes somewhat optional.  Of course, you can't bail on the easy/short runs too often, or your body won't be able to support your ability to do the longer runs.

I do most of my training in Houston, so hot and humid.  I do some local racing (did Galveston 70.3 the first weekend in April.....still working on my race report!), so I have lots of experience with heat and humidity.  Personally, I like to eat solid food for nutrition and drink for hydration and electrolytes only.....I don't like for my nutrition to be liquid.  I've found that Skratch works very well for me (I like the raspberry flavor best).

And finally....strength training.  My opinion is that if you want to get faster at swimming, biking, and running....you need to swim, bike, and run.  Strength training offers very little benefit for getting faster at swimming, biking, or running (unless you're on the very pointy end, like the pro triathletes).  Now, my tune changes if you have specific imbalance / injury issues that you're dealing with, or if you're in a 40-50+ age range.  If you like it, great....have at it and enjoy what you're doing.  But if you're doing it to get faster, don't expect much return on investment, imo.

X

2017-04-11 5:52 PM

User image

I've had past injuries in my right foot, and right now I am getting over Achilles tendinitis in my left foot. I do strengthening exercises. For strength training, I like to do cardio and then weights. But I agree that building volume specific to what I want to accomplish would be a more prudent use of my time. I will get my gym scholarship this week, so by this Saturday, I can do a big pool workout. I think since it's been a while since swimming regularly, I will refresh myself on form drills and also try to spend time swimming.
2017-04-13 8:09 AM

, Maryland
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by MarathonGirl78 Hello Everyone! I'm not quite a newbie to triathlons, having run a few sprints last season, but I'm a newbie to this site!! I'm looking to open up a bit more this year and try an Olympic distance or two. I just need to get off my butt and get back to training (it was a cold winter here in VA). I'm looking for more interaction with women in this sport over run by men. I for one am sick of constantly getting hit on and just want to train to do my own thing. If there are any women in Northern Virginia looking to share a run or bike day, just hit me up!!!

Welcome!  I raced Galveston 70.3 this past weekend and they had a "Women for Tri" hat that I really wanted, but the line was so long and I really didn't want to be on my feet too much the day before the race.  I'm kicking myself for having not bought it, but I think I might buy it and deal with the fact that I now have to pay for shipping!

Having a group of supportive women is great, so I'm glad you're here!  Which races are you looking at this year?  Looking forward to coming along on your journey

I've registered for a few local sprints and looking at one or two Olys (Williamsburg and Luray) this summer. I'm considering a half at the end of the season, but don't know if I can train up to it with working full time. I'm definitely a MOPer, I've been slacking on my swimming over the winter, so that leg is going to be painful.
2017-04-17 12:38 PM

User image

Hey Nicole,
I was reading through the threads and I like the way you explained the Barry P training plan. Recently, had a fairly bad quad strain and had to shut down my half marathon training. I think I was over- training, in the sense that I was running to fast on slow easy days. I think given my advancing age and propensity for leg injuries, it would probably be a better idea for me to change up my training strategy (thinking of trying the barry p method) and use my heart rate as a guide to how intensely to work out and if I'm recovered from last workout. The good news....with rest, stretching, massaging it's almost completely healed up. No discomfort while walking and I ran a 3 miler with no discomfort at slow pace.

With all that being said, what are your personal thoughts on the Barry P method in relation to lessening risks for overtraining injuries ?
The other question I had was your reply on my original post a few weeks back - re: my speed or lack of speed...LOL! and you mentioned that by increasing my mileage to over 30 a week (over time) that I should see improvements in my pace - can you talk more about that?

So while I have scrapped my plans to do the half marathon in early may, I'll do the 10k as a long fun run with friends )

maria
2017-04-26 7:57 AM
in reply to: 0

Lilburn, Georgia
Thanks, Kate.

I hit a little training snag. I moved from Nashville to Atlanta (where I'm from) and it's taken me 3 weeks to settle into my new home/work/training schedule. So I finally found a pool down the street that I like, and is open early enough for me to swim before work. Did my first real workout there this morning and loved it. I still think the swim will be my weak leg, especially since it's open water, which I have slim to no experience in (I'm trying to find local open water workouts to latch onto before the race), but I feel better about it every time I get in the pool, which is encouraging. I know my form is not what it could be, so any tips on that would be appreciated.

Otherwise, I feel like, worse case scenario: the tri won't kill me

Edited by cehartlage 2017-04-26 8:10 AM
2017-04-26 8:04 AM
in reply to: 0

Lilburn, Georgia
Thanks, Nicole! I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm trying to get to running 4x a week, at least, and yes, taking some easier than others. What I've noticed (in my minimal training since January) is that it's really more about putting in the miles than having 2-3 hard workouts over the course of the week. As I mentioned in a more recent comment, I've gotten off schedule with my move a few weeks ago and have struggled finding good (read: flat) places to run around my new home. I did a 3.5 mi run around my neighborhood and the new hills KILLED my knee. So I ended up having to take about a week off, and really didn't wanna push it. Now I'm a bit tentative to get back into it, bc I'm just rattled. I tore my ACL and meniscus in high school and had reconstructive surgery and my knee has never quite been the same since, so I'm really sensitive about pushing myself too hard when anything on that half of my body feels out of what. But planning on getting in an easy mile or two tomorrow morning before work, and seeing how it feels!

Edited by cehartlage 2017-04-26 8:10 AM

2017-04-26 12:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Sorry for the delayed response -- I spent a week at Big Bend National Park riding and running, and had no access to cell reception or wifi

I think BarryP is a fantastic run program!  I think it's great for just about everyone.  Running is a high-impact sport, and as such, it's the one most people typically get injured doing.  Injury can often be traced back to one of a few things -- 1) running too hard when you're body is not conditioned for it, 2) ramping up your run training or intensity too quickly, and 3) having your long run make up a significant portion of your total weekly run volume (I like to keep my long run to no more than 30% of my total run volume....25% ideally).

Short, frequent, easy runs help build up your body's tolerance to running.  Keeping them easy minimizes chances of over training (that can lead to severe fatigue or injury).  And consistency (read: staying injury-free) is ultimately what will lead to improvement.  The more volume you are able to do on a regular basis, consistently over the years, the better you set yourself up for racing.  For 10k to HM distance, I think 30 miles a week is great -- long run of ~10 miles plus 30 mpw will allow you to race a half marathon well.  And I promise that if you train at a 10-11 min/mile pace, that does not mean you'll end up racing at a 10-11 min/mile pace...you will have conditioned your body to be able to go faster, even without having trained that way. 

For swimming and cycling, I am a big proponent of including intensity, but for running, you can make huge improvements (and not get injured) by running easy and frequently.  Eventually (for me, it was after about three years of consistent running), you'll likely want to add some intensity -- in which case, I'd recommend strides (20-30 second intervals at 5k pace) and tempo work, rather than track or hill repeats.

2017-04-26 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I fully agree that it's far more important to put in the miles (volume) than it is to do the hard workouts.  In fact, until you are able to maintain sufficient volume consistently (think in terms of months or years, not days or weeks), it's best to keep all of the runs easy, so you can avoid injury.

I totally get being tentative about knee stuff!  I got hit while I was out riding almost five years ago and my left knee took the brunt of the impact.  I didn't do any real running for over a year after that, and when I started, I was super cautious about it.  If you can find some flat, soft surfaces (do you have a dirt trail system or cinder track available??), that's a great place to do your run training.

2017-04-26 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

So I raced Galveston 70.3 at the beginning of the month....took me a bit to get my race report written due to getting busy with work, and then I went to Big Bend National Park to ride and run all week last week

But anyways, here's my race report if anyone's interested: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=546739

Short version:  my swim was mediocre, my bike was very good, and my run was a PR but not without struggles....I snuck in just under five hours and I'm super happy with it, but also motivated to make some big improvements!

2017-05-01 9:10 AM

Lilburn, Georgia
Yes, Nicole, there's some dirt trails around, though they're not super flat. But I did try out a new bike path this weekend, and it had a narrow dirt track off to the side that a lot of people were running along, so maybe I can give that a shot next weekend.

On that note, I got in a 9 mi bike followed by a 2 mi walk/run yesterday, and my knee held up pretty well and I feel totally fine today (minus some chaffing, haha), so that's encouraging. And I've got a 600m swim tonight, which will be a nice low-impact workout to look forward to.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Women Ready to Tri - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22

Started by Dominion
Views: 27699 Posts: 534

2017-12-27 3:42 PM Dominion

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41233 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38371 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : July 26, 2012
author : juliapurr
comments : 2
Learn what to do and what not to do during your taper. Learn how to taper best if you have multiple races on your schedule.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I'm not sure if one of these models is better, both are from 2009 aluminum/carbon combinations. I realize this is a difficult question but any thoughts as which bike is better for a woman?
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.