BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BE the BALL Group 2017 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-31 10:05 AM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Subject: BE the BALL Group 2017 - CLOSED
GROUP FOCUS: First time triathletes and weight loss.

NAME: billeckert/ Bill

STORY: Male - 51 years old - Live in Georgia.

I was on the swim team in high school. Not the best but could hold my own. Also loved to ride the bike. Never much of a runner until the Army. After the Army (1987), college, career, and family life took their toll and I became a couch potato. Went on a rafting trip with high school friends in 2010. One friend was doing triathlons. I thought he was going to be super skinny but he wasn't. He looked the same as high school. Talked to him about it and decided I could do a sprint tri. Started training in 2010 for my first sprint race in April 2011. During my training, I joined a mentor group here and really gained a lot from it. Fell off the fitness wagon in 2012-2014. Got going again in September 2014 and have not stopped since. There have been some ups and downs and some periods of time with injuries. I have completed many sprint races and olympic races, 3 HIM and completed IM Louisville in October 2017. Looking forward to training for the 2018 season with some consistency and trying to remain injury free.

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged. Two children, Son 24 and Daughter 12

CURRENT TRAINING: Training varies throughout the year. Right now focused on consistency and weight loss/body composition.

PAST RACES:
2017 - Blalock Lakes Tri the Parks Sprint, Richard Russell Tri the Parks Olympic, IM Louisville
2016 - John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint, Chattanooga 70.3, Richard Russell Tri the Parks Olympic, Augusta 70.3, Tough Turkey Half Marathon
2015 - John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint, Chattahoochee Challenge Sprint, Richard Russell Tri the Parks Olympic, Augusta 70.3
2014 - No Races
2013 - Local 5K
2012 - Tough Mudder, John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint
2011 - John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint, Indian Springs Tri the Parks Sprint, My Own Olympic Race, Atlanta Half Marathon

2018 PLANNED RACES:
April - John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint,
June - Blalock Lakes Tri the Parks Sprint
July - Richard Russell Tri the Parks Olympic
September - Augusta 70.3

WEIGHTLOSS: Started in 2010 at 280. Been stuck at 230 for awhile now. Goal for 2018 is to really focus on body composition and get below 200.

2018 MAIN GOAL: Complete Augusta 70.3 in under 6 hours.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I joined a mentor group when I first started in 2010 and it helped me a lot. I have learned a lot since then and I am hoping to give some encouragement and help to people new to the sport or looking to do a longer distance this year.

Edited by billeckert 2017-12-06 1:48 PM

2017-01-20 5:30 AM
in reply to: billeckert

Subject: RE: BE the BALL Group - Open
Hi Bill,

Not sure how to go about joining you but I would love too.

If you accept me I can give a quick background and what has lead me here.

Thank you

Kim
2017-01-30 6:58 AM
in reply to: hockeychic

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Hi Kim,

Sorry about the delay. Would love to have you in the group. I will post a message on what to do to join this morning.

Thanks,
Bill
2017-01-30 7:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Hello everyone,

If you would like to join you can cut and paste the following into a reply and then just fill it in. This helps me to get to know a little bit about you and what you are looking for from the group. I look forward to working with everyone to see what we can accomplish.

NAME: Your username / first name

STORY: A short paragraph of who you are, why you triathlon

FAMILY STATUS: Family situation (single/married/family)

CURRENT TRAINING: How you train in general (what race distances in 2016 or past years, technical or not)

PAST RACES: Just a little summary of what you have recently done.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: If your season is ready, list your races, if not, your training goals.

WEIGHTLOSS: And any weightloss goals that you have (or the weight lost so far as a triathlete).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: A brief paragraph on what you think will make you a good mentee over the next 3 months.

Edited by billeckert 2017-01-30 11:17 AM
2017-01-31 7:54 AM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Okay. Checking in daily to see what is going on. If you want to join just say so and fill in the information. There is no judgement here. If you are not comfortable with something just skip it and fill in whatever you feel comfortable with.

Yesterday I did a bike and a run. The bike was on the trainer with zone 4 intervals to build speed. The run was a simple run to build durability. Here are links to the workouts.

Bike: http://tpks.ws/yEMwe

Run: http://tpks.ws/iiBTD

Today I have a long steady run. Plan is to run about 5.5 to 6 miles.

If you are just starting and all this seems greek to you no worries. I was there at one time and I know how you feel. It is not as complicated as it seems and is really a lot of fun once you get started. Look forward to having some of you join in the group.

2017-01-31 12:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Had a good run today. http://tpks.ws/Hh8PB

Don't think that you have to go out and run 6 miles if you are just starting. I have been doing this for a while and the end result of my training is an Ironman in October. You can get started by just walking a mile, riding a few miles, swimming a few laps. Put that together on a consistent basis and you can be ready for a sprint race in about 3 to 4 months. When I first started triathlon I joined a mentor group here on BT. It was a great experience for me. When we first started, he posted an article on consistency. It has stuck with me ever since. Here is a link to that article. Hope ya'll enjoy it.

http://mdickson.net/tri_articles/consistency.html

Edited by billeckert 2017-01-31 12:49 PM

2017-06-30 5:17 PM

hi,

I was wondering if your group is still open for the summer months?
2017-10-21 2:30 PM
in reply to: AJ_M

User image

Griffin, Georgia
My apologies. The group was only supposed to be open for a few months. No one ever joined so after that time I just stopped looking and focused on my training. I hope you were able to find the help you needed. I am going to try this again this year so keep checking in. In the mean time I am open for anyone who may have any questions.
2017-12-12 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I'll look for you in 2018
2017-12-13 8:20 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Looking forward to it. They should be coming out soon. I have set up a page for 2018 and thy should be releasing them soon.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BE the BALL Group 2017 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 11724 Posts: 84

2017-07-21 1:37 PM flyor64

The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22

Started by Dominion
Views: 27692 Posts: 534

2017-12-27 3:42 PM Dominion

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38364 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2016
author : rjcalhoun
comments : 5
From heavy, stressed business owner to triathlete

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.