General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim gear for pool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-01 5:43 AM

Subject: Swim gear for pool
Hi

New here. I need to start swimming as a health problem means I can't run for the foreseeable future. My only option for regular swimming is in the local lido - cool. But I need some protection and your advice.

What kind of tri suit can I swim in, that won't get destroyed by chlorine? I'm looking for full-length sleeves, possibly full body but not essential. Warmth isn't a huge issue but obviously flexibility is. I'd happily get a cheapo for the pool and a serious one for any future open water swims.

I'm also on a budget. And I'm a woman. Any recommendations appreciated, and any advice on what to avoid.

Thank you.

Edited by WhaleRoad 2017-01-01 5:45 AM

2017-01-02 9:13 AM
in reply to: WhaleRoad

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Swim gear for pool
The full sleeve tri suits are a race day thing. None are designed for daily use and use chlorine resistant fabrics. Why full sleeves? Not much for choices out there on a budget. If you get lucky you might find an older (but unused) Speedo bodysuit on ebay. Even that won't be super long lasting but might be cheap because they don't allow them for swim meets anymore (all suits with zippers were banned as of January 1 2010). Lots more choice with open back suits with half or full legs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEEDO-FASTSKIN-FULL-BODYSUIT-BODYSKIN-LADI...

Still not cheap
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim gear for pool Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike Gearing vs. Mountain Bike Gearing

Started by Mrdaner
Views: 864 Posts: 3

2009-08-18 2:22 PM Tim_H

TRI Appearel and swim start in a pool

Started by kaigin
Views: 1058 Posts: 3

2005-10-07 6:29 AM thegomer

Carrying Emergency Swim Gear...

Started by shanep
Views: 1766 Posts: 11

2017-01-13 8:56 PM Goliad

Wetsuits in a pool swim

Started by streams180
Views: 1590 Posts: 21

2005-09-23 9:08 PM ott13979

Nike training gear top + swim?

Started by thegomer
Views: 988 Posts: 6

2005-09-16 10:30 AM thegomer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
comments : 0
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Most of us belong to groups and there will always be pressure to keep up. It may be underlying or it may be outright, but no doubt, that pressure to go faster is always there.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."
date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.