General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What will you do differently in 2017? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-01 9:32 AM

User image

Subject: What will you do differently in 2017?
As I am nursing a hangover, eating oatmeal and coffee, I am thinking about what I will do differently in 2017. I have become complacent with training, doing just enough to "complete" races without "competing" in them. From Sprint to Ironman, I can complete them all. 2017 is about getting FASTER at shorter distance races. Only Olympic and Halfs this year.

The 1 thing I will do differently in 2017 is to COMMIT to AM workouts again. Too often I have skipped workouts because my kids stayed up late or there was something good on tv. My weight has become an issue and my temperament at work and at home has waned. Staring my day with training and a balanced eating plan for the day will be my difference in 2017.

What's yours?

Happy Training.

2017-01-01 10:17 AM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: What will you do differently in 2017?
I have a two step plan... first to shed the excess weight (it's ballooned to over 25lbs last year!!!). Second goal is to actually train again. I changed jobs in 2016 (which is awesome), but that also meant disrupting my training schedule a lot and I fell into a training slump. Time to get started again in 2017 and re-gain fitness and speed.

Goal is to be back to race weight by end of 2017 and be fit enough to race well 2018. 2017 will be a rebuild year, but I'm excited to get started.

Although, I doubt I'll get much done today... last night was plenty of really good wine... :-)
2017-01-01 1:42 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
focus on more strength training.

A hip injury has me pretty much out of any racing this year (depending if I get surgery or not in the summer) but I need to focus on strengthening imbalances and just overall spend more time in the gym or at home strength workouts.

Also commit to going back to PT.

2017-01-01 3:07 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
Hi Runspingirl,

Haven't chatted in a while. Sorry to hear about your injury. I was down for 6 months with cast on and off for my right arm. I had a second surgery and doing very well with recovery and PT. During down time I revisited some of my old hobbies like antiques. I am a collector and like enjoying antiques. I buy at estate sells and sometimes auctions and then sell on ebay. It's still keeping me busy. I will be returning to work soon. I feel ya about injuries. This was my first serious injury. My right arm won't ever be the same but that's okay. Just grateful to be out of the cast and almost pain free.

Key west swim 12.5 around the Keys
Mt. Man Half!
IMAZ (second one)!

Let's stay in touch! Positive power healing sent your way.
Tracy
2017-01-01 7:38 PM

User image

Ventura, California

I am going to work on using a real training plan. Last year I trained pretty much ala carte per say. No real structure, and I did ok, Pretty much just ahead of mid-pack in all 10 of my races.

This year I have signed up for the St George half and need to seriously get my together if I am going to attempt a top 10% AG finish. I am already doubting my ambitions on that one. I am looking at Auburn International coming off St George, top 33% AG qualify the USAT Olympic Nats.

I will again focus on getting to the front of the AG pack in the Oly distance for this year and seriously hoping to get into USAT AG nats or Oly Nats, or both!

Back on topic, Train with a real laid out plan and stick to it. Also more stretching/yoga. I did yoga back in 2014 and it helped tremendously with my flexibility, running and overall fitness. So really just more training discipline.

Alright, rice is done, time to make dinner! 

2017-01-01 7:45 PM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I don't take training seriously enough on my own so I hired a coach! The accountability alone will help me immensely and I don't like to spend money on something and not get everything out of whatever it is.

2017-01-02 6:01 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Plan for this season is multi-faceted.  1) More biking.  I returned to racing last season with my first tri in five years, and my biking wasn't quite what it was before, which was pretty much just the result of less training volume.  I just got a new frame for my road bike, so I really have no excuse for not getting out there and putting in a good ride every weekend.   2) More bricks -- try to get in one brick weekly beginning about two months before my HIM off of my long ride if possible.  3) Try to get to race weight earlier via more healthful snacking -- reach for the apple/orange/banana instead of the potato chips.  Last year I made race weight just two days before my race.  This year I'd like to see it 2-3 months ahead so I can focus more on training rather than weight management.  4) I'm going to try to follow an actual training plan for the first time.  I don't know how successfully I can do this because of work and life demands, so I'll see how that one goes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What will you do differently in 2017? Rss Feed