General Discussion Triathlon Talk » your personal thoughts / experiences with online coaches Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-01 11:01 PM

User image

Subject: your personal thoughts / experiences with online coaches

so, i have enough tri's under my belt that i think i want to go get to the next level. I've done a half marathon, 3 olympics (one being and Xterra), and a sprint in 2016. i have been 100% self coached and have made very impressive gains in swimming and cycling (i have a running background). i want to venture to a half iron, and long term goals of a full (2018). 

i would like to hear from those of you who have used online coaching and the success you think you have had from it. what would you do different? 

i am san diego based if that makes any difference. 

thanks in advance!!!

2017-01-02 2:16 PM
in reply to: rramirez1

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: your personal thoughts / experiences with online coaches
Adult Onset Swimmer who learned to swim at 26. I consider myself to have taken triathlon very far all things considered. Outside of about 6 months I have never been coached. Coaching is more about accountability IMO. If you need someone to help keep you accountable then coaches can be great.

Please do not think you need a coach to continue to improve. Coaches can help, but the mechanism is usually from keeping people from doing too much and getting injured or in keeping them accountable.
2017-01-02 5:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I took up tri at age 41 (though I have a fairly extensive run and swim background) after 20 years of just recreational jogging 2-3X a week. Self-coached for five years; late last year I decided to start working with an online coach. It basically was a matter of having pretty ambitious goals (qualifying for World Championships) and realizing I lacked the knowledge to properly structure my training to achieve them. I was continuing to struggle with the bike, and really didn't have time or energy to figure out why and what to do about it. I also felt like I was continuing to make the same training and racing mistakes over and over again and didn't really know why. My situation is a bit unusual in that I spend most of the year overseas where there are no coaches, (usually) no reliable training partners, and very few people I can ask for detailed advice. It just seemed simpler to get a qualified coach. That might be different if there are knowledgeable club coaches or members you could work with in your area.

I feel like I made a lot of progress last year. I have a much better idea of how to train properly for the bike leg, given my strengths and weaknesses, and how to balance overall training. I was healthy and properly tapered for all my A races, which was not the case in the past (I seemed to have a knack for getting sick during taper). I did qualify for Worlds (70.3) and had a 15-minute HIM PB on a very tough course in Calgary. Worlds did not go that well, but it wasn't my coach's fault--stupid bike issue.

I think whether or not a coach is useful depends on the qualifications of the coach, how good a is, how clearly each party communicates, and how much you need someone else to provide, or can provide for yourself, things like structured training tailored to your strengths and weaknesses, feedback, and accountability. In my case, I rarely rely on my coach for motivation or accountability--maybe there were a few days where I might have skipped a workout or done less if I hadn't had to explain it to my coach, but I'm pretty disciplined--they were so few I doubt it would have made a difference. In my case it was more a matter of balancing training in all three sports and getting knowledgeable input and feedback about biking and multi-sport training.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-01-02 5:45 PM
2017-01-02 9:07 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Something fell out of my post when I tried to edit. Should read, "How good of a match it is." By this I mean a lot of things--how compatible the coach's approach is to your training needs and level of commitment to the sport; whether both parties are comfortable enough in the relationship to ask questions and give and receive critical feedback, how much hand-holding an athlete needs vs. how much the coach gives, even just plain old personality and "chemistry". From personal experience, coaching with a bad match, for whatever reason, is worse in many cases than no coaching at all, and someone who is an amazing coach for some athletes may not be a good fit for others.
2017-01-03 12:04 PM

User image

Utah
I used to think that an online coach would be a waste of time or energy, and would prefer a local in person one. However, in reality, with my schedule, I wouldn't be able to make it to many, if any, of the majority of the local coach's training times, etc. And the local coaches I know still use Training Peaks/text/email to communicate the majority of the time with their athletes.

I then sort of fell into an online coach. We do all of the above with the exception of in person training because he is 2000 miles a way. We text/email/communicate as much as I need and it varies with what is going on at the time. I was surprised to hear from many of my friends who have local coaches that I communicate with my coach a TON more than they do with theirs, and mine is way more responsive and offers more to his athletes.

So bottom line, it really depends on the coach. Find one that you can work well with, and clarify expectations and communicate. But definitely don''t rule out online, it's how most things are done nowadays anyway, and I have been very satisfied with my experience.
2017-01-04 12:52 PM

Experience from a beginner- I have a friend that is an online Tri coach. As I prepare for my first 70.3 I decided to get a coach. I, of course, went with my friend for two reasons. 1- figured id get in person time even though he is an online coach and 2- i know how good he is because I've cheered him on in his races and have seen him train (we live 5 minutes apart). His training has helped me so much. Whether it is the ease of just following a plan someone else put a lot of time and thought into or the accountability- one thing is for sure- ive seen gains by having him as a coach. HERE IS THE KICKER- since being my coach, i have not talked triathlons or training with him in person. I strictly use email/phone/training peaks for our communication. I dont have time to meet with a coach in person. I have a wife, a job, and all other time is dedicated to actually putting in miles.

So my point is- online coaching is great. I actually prefer it and have the ability to stop over my coaches house any time i want- but online is easier for the athlete and gives flexibility. I humbly (beginner) recommend it.

2017-01-05 7:54 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri

Adult Onset Swimmer who learned to swim at 26. I consider myself to have taken triathlon very far all things considered. Outside of about 6 months I have never been coached. Coaching is more about accountability IMO. If you need someone to help keep you accountable then coaches can be great.

Please do not think you need a coach to continue to improve. Coaches can help, but the mechanism is usually from keeping people from doing too much and getting injured or in keeping them accountable.

Not to discount this, I agree with the injury part for sure. Whether or not they can help you is a variable. I used to over do my training and near the end of every season was pretty beat up generally.

For me coming from a sporting background... with ZERO swimming and only running in practices for baseball, football, basketball... etc. I don't really know anything about training for swimming or running. Might as well add cycling to that as well. That and a psyche to just keep going, work harder, tape it up and just keep going. Not always the best idea by the way.

I have a coach I see about once a month since I live in the "country". He's a certified swim coach and watches me swim and is also a runner so he knows running form, drills, etc. He's also very methodical and has helped me with many things including nutrition, hydration... I use to wonder why I had awful run in Olys runs... I know I sweat A LOT but he explained the science behind me getting behind on the bike hydration/electrolyte/etc. and why my legs were "off".

I digress, I ran into an old football/basketball coach from Middle School and while we were catching up I mentioned I'd recently gone with a coach for my triathlon. I forget the comment he made but coaches play a significant role especially if you're somewhat serious about what you're doing. We probably could have played games without a coach in Middle School but I'm thinking we wouldn't have been as successful, organized... and other things.

Finding the right coach for your needs is the secret sauce IMO. I'm a big fan of hiring a living breathing coach you can work with... if you can afford it.
2017-01-05 10:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I agree that for form issues, especially swimming, a "live" (as opposed to online, though I've never thought of my coach as non-living!) coach would be preferable. Many coaches who work online with athletes will provide feedback from a video of swim form, but this is of course limited by the quality of the video you can get, and you don't get the benefit of real-time feedback as you do drills or attempt to make changes in your stroke. In my case, an on-deck coach isn't an option for most of the year. I try to get feedback when I swim occasionally with a master's program in the US, ask our school coach (whom I don't formally work with--she wanted to charge me more for just swim coaching than my current coach does for three-event coaching!) or consult Youtube occasionally when I'm unclear about a drill, and have scheduled a video analysis at a training camp next month. Even if you do decide on online coaching, if there are serious issues with your swim (or you're serious about making big improvements) I would suggest finding a way to get some real-time, in-person feedback on your technique.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-01-05 10:57 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » your personal thoughts / experiences with online coaches Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

BT Online Coaching-experience?

Started by slornow
Views: 698 Posts: 1

2011-11-09 9:37 AM slornow

Training Plan, Online Coah or Personal Coach Pages: 1 2

Started by })i({RunnerGirl
Views: 3225 Posts: 26

2010-01-29 6:49 PM gsmacleod

Silver Vs Gold Plan - Personal Thoughts/Experiences?

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 1196 Posts: 5

2008-05-02 12:44 PM surfwallace

Personal Milestone...thought I'd share

Started by nuorder
Views: 1290 Posts: 16

2006-02-20 2:13 PM jaredog

Anyone hire on online coach or an actual coach

Started by TimmyMay
Views: 1393 Posts: 7

2005-08-02 2:09 AM trilover
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.

date : March 17, 2008
comments : 0
Most coaches will agree that negative splitting is the way to go, ideally, to reach a personal best. But does the strategy really work for all?