General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-02 12:39 PM

Chesterfield, Virginia
Subject: New Triathlete
Hello everyone,

I recently decided that I wanted to pursue a triathlon. My first goal is just to complete a sprint. I am very new to the triathlon world. I played sports growing up but never ran or swam competitively.

I just purchased "The Triathlete's Training Bible: The World’s Most Comprehensive Training Guide, 4th Ed." by Joe Friel. I want to make sure I am training the correct way as well as receive tips to make sure I don't over train or injure myself. I know nutrition is going to be one of the most important things to consider and I'm hoping Joe Friel's book will help. Has anyone purchased this book or have any advice?

I would love to have a veteran mentor if anyone is interested. I am from Central New York (Syracuse area) but my family and I have been living in Richmond for the past 3 years. Anything will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Geoff

Edited by Geoff29610 2017-01-02 12:39 PM

2017-01-02 2:16 PM
in reply to: Geoff29610

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: New Triathlete

Hi Geoff, and welcome!

You mentioned wanting a mentor - well you have excellent timing!  BT has mentor groups which are great for asking questions, getting tips, socializing, and meeting new friends.  The new round is just beginning for 2017, so the list of groups is a little small at the moment but will be opening up to more groups over the next few days. Browse around and find a group that seems to fit your outlook or needs. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=115#s 

Good luck to you!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Triathlete Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Semi-New Triathlete; New to BT

Started by ckulb7820
Views: 1055 Posts: 3

2016-07-04 12:15 PM HaydenHunter

brand new triathlete! and new BT

Started by kt65
Views: 968 Posts: 4

2007-10-01 1:16 PM texmom

New Triathlete, New City: New Concord, OH

Started by stupidnickname
Views: 1492 Posts: 7

2005-07-15 9:22 AM stupidnickname

New triathlete

Started by chuey1977
Views: 1290 Posts: 9

2009-02-25 1:55 PM Yosel88

new triathlete

Started by zinna23
Views: 1281 Posts: 2

2003-09-29 6:07 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 21, 2012
author : sallyddrake
comments : 0
Off-Season thoughts for new triathletes including indoor training, Computrainers, heart-rate training and strength training.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : May 23, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 5
When running or biking, is it best to work towards increasing distance, stamina, working with heart rates, intervals, speed, drills, etc.?

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.