General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need training plan for August '17 Olympic Triathalon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-02 4:52 PM

Subject: Need training plan for August '17 Olympic Triathalon
Hi All,

I've been an athlete my entire life, but not a big fan of running or swimming. I'm into racquetball, squash, ice hockey and most especially soccer. I spend most of my time these days playing or training to play indoor or outdoor league soccer.

But I'm determined to complete this triathalon.

Given that I'm basically 8 months out, what should I be doing on all fronts now, and as I get into the last 3-5 months?

I'm starting to swim now - I can get through a 500 no problem. I can bike all day long. It's the long runs (which I suffer through anyway training for soccer) that I don't like.

Oh, I'm going to be 55 next year, but don't let that effect your answers!!

Thanks,

Rich.

2017-01-02 5:44 PM
in reply to: rich.emrich

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Need training plan for August '17 Olympic Triathalon

Have you checked out the Training Plans section of the site here?  You can take a free plan for olympic distance or try the custom option -- or if you want to become a paying member of the site there are more options for detailed plans and importing them into your training log.  Sounds like you have a pretty good start on a base of fitness already, so make sure you get to the point that you are comfortable swimming and running the distance.  Do a few "brick" workouts to practice running off of the bike -- just a couple of miles running after your ride will get you accustomed to the feeling of running on legs that are a bit tired from the ride.  Practice transitions (swim to bike and bike to run).  If you plan on wearing a wetsuit (assuming your race is wetsuit legal, depends on water temp), you'll want to be familiar with getting into and out of your wetsuit.

2017-01-02 9:13 PM
in reply to: rich.emrich

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: Need training plan for August '17 Olympic Triathalon

Hello Rich,

I am sure you know that a Olympic distance is typically a 1500m swim (1640yards), 25 mile bike ride and a 6.2 mile run.

Lets start with the swimming. You say you can swim 500 no problem, thats not going to get you there, so right away I would focus on swimming as that is going to be your weak link. Also keep in mind, swimming back and forth in a heated pool with a nice black line on the bottom is nothing like what you will experience in a Triathlon.

Is your Triathlon going to be in a lake or ocean? Ocean is more scary and unpredictable then a lake, but alot of new swimmers can get a little freaked out by the dark waters in open water swimming. Also keep in mind you wont have a protected lane all to yourself, your going to be starting with alot of other people in a wave start cycle for your age group. There are going to be feet kicking right in your face, arms flailing all around you. I know my first triathlon I had people swimming over me and I freaked out and almost failed the swim.

As the weather gets warmer, get out into the open water and try to get some friends to  swim with you in the pool, have them swim in front and on the sides, bump into each other, etc... Pack swimming is my biggest issue at the moment, I tend to go off to the side and swim alone, but it costs me alot in time as I am swimming more yards then needed.

Same with the bike, your not going on a all day stroll, your going to be biking with folks who are going to be pushing hard, you will be passed and you will need to pass others, there is a certain skill to group riding. Again seek out some buddies or local cycling clubs and start riding in a group. Also important to bike in similar terrain as the race. If the race is going to have steep climbs and descents, then you should be training in that same scenario.

Running, thats the easy part. just get one leg in front of the other for 6.2 miles. Obviously there is a certain skill to it, not going out too fast and blowing up your heart rate, pacing yourself, staying hydrated, etc...

Doing 'bricks' as they are called are where you ride your bike hard and then just as in a race, jump off the bike and start running. Your feet will feel like bricks, and if your not ready for it, it can be a surprise. It will take about the first 1/2 mile to get into a good running groove off the bike.

I am going to assume for your first Triathlon being in August water temps should not be that cold so a wetsuit is probably not something to be too concerned about. I did my first triathlon in running shorts and a running top and running shoes, I was a runner before triathlete. Now I got all the gear, the clip in bike shoes, wetsuit, tri suit, etc...

In the end, the concept is simple, swim for 1500 meters without drowning, ride a bike of any kind for 25 miles without crashing, and run 6.2 miles without dropping. Thats it, you could probably go out and finish one tomorrow given your athletic background. Don't over complicate your first race.

Good Luck

Oh ya, training plans, they are all over the internet, just do a google search. I have done 4 triathlons now and have never followed a training plan, but then again I have never come in first place either, lol

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need training plan for August '17 Olympic Triathalon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Advanced Full Ironman Triathlon Training Plan- 17 Week

Started by NZIM
Views: 2072 Posts: 2

2014-04-24 11:11 AM JohnnyKay

Against the Tide August 17, 2013

Started by againstthetide2
Views: 648 Posts: 1

2013-07-23 11:24 AM againstthetide2

Training for first Olympic Triathlon in August

Started by bluemakers
Views: 2445 Posts: 5

2011-02-02 3:11 PM shawn barr

Training for my 1st Triathalon - Need some Advice!!

Started by madermu
Views: 1019 Posts: 8

2008-07-09 11:19 AM madermu

how do training plans differ for a 17 year old

Started by smcollins
Views: 1470 Posts: 14

2008-02-26 3:46 PM smcollins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : July 19, 2009
This training plan has only 2 workouts per sport per week and peaks at 7.5 hours per week of training. Use this plan if you are time constrained or if you want to focus more on your family.
date : February 12, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 21 week, 1 race training plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.