General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone tried HUUB tri suits? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-03 8:52 PM

Veteran
Indiana
Subject: Anyone tried HUUB tri suits?
Looking for a one piece tri suit, and wanting: 1) lots of white above the waist, 2) sleeves, 3) durability, 4) good fit 5) at least half zip front -- (no particular order)t

It seems like the HUUB DS Long Distance tri suit is closest to what I'm wanting, but this is apparently a UK-centered brand and very few stores in the US seem to carry them. I don't know anyone who's had any HUUB kit other than the wetsuits (which apparently are pretty good).

Anyone had any experience with this brand?

Re; sizing: my waist and chest size put me in a 2XL, but my height says 1XL. Familiar territory here. I am guessing this would mostly mean the sleeves and legs for a 2X would be bit longer on me, which I'd like. Any other sizing problems you can see here?
PS, I do wear XL for bike pants, tri pants, and most other stuff, so a little leery of going up to 2X.
I don't like loose-fitting kit around the bike saddle area or in swimming.

There's also a Castelli product that fits my criteria, but I've had some poor luck with the build quality / durability of Castelli stuff. It's the greatest in the world for the first few times you wear it, then goes downhill quickly (in my experience).

2017-01-16 7:38 AM
in reply to: alath

Veteran
Indiana
Subject: Anyone tried HUUB tri suits? - UPDATED
Nobody here apparently had, so I searched around more.
There are a couple of informative user reviews on YouTube.
Generally people were pleased; two quibbles were 1) the white color is reportedly totally see-through with any water/sweat, 2) the rear gel pockets are awkwardly located to get at when running.

So I went ahead and ordered one - got the DS Long Course suit and despite what I said in my OP above, opted for the limited edition green color. Was wanting white sleeves for heat reflectivity, but leery of the see-through tri suit effect and supposedly these suits are made of a heat reflecting material that works regardless of color. We will see.

Tried it on for fit but haven't worked out in it yet.
The fit seems good and as advertised. Unusual because I am generally XL at my current weight and get down to L in some brands at race weight, but the HUUB fit guide insisted I would be XXL even at race weight.
It seemed like a good fit now, and I think it will still be at race weight, but I don't want to work it out a lot right now - would prefer to lose a few lbs before I start letting this thing conform to my body.

Overall materials and craftsmanship seem quite good.
The chamois is thicker and more sculpted than other tri suits, but still very light and soft. Reviewers seem to like this chamois especially for the aero position and say it is not bulky in swim or run.
Some of the panels of the suit are mesh with rather large pores - a big stripe running down the back for one. Should breathe very well.

Will post more after I've had a chance to S/B/R in it.

(huub green.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
huub green.jpg (42KB - 3 downloads)
2017-01-16 7:41 AM

Veteran
Indiana
Subject: Anyone tried HUUB tri suits? - UPDATED
My tri bike is red and white, and now my race suit is green. I'm going to be a Christmas-themed triathlete I guess ;-)
2017-01-18 7:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Anyone tried HUUB tri suits?
You're not going to find too much information on HUUB in US, but it's a fairly common brand in Europe (primarily UK, but also Scandinavia). They do make good stuff, so if it fits you, you like the design and the price, then go for it.

Edit, saw that you already purchased it... Guess the good thing is that you'll be easy to spot. ;-)

Edited by audiojan 2017-01-18 7:07 AM
2017-01-23 3:44 PM

Veteran
Indiana
Subject: Update
Wore this suit for my trainer ride this am.
The fit seems very good. It doesn't bind or sag anywhere.

The material is different than any other kit I have. It's very porous and light.
The room where we have our trainers set up is a play room (former garage) that's usually pretty cool in the am in Winter.
In this tri suit, it was positively frigid.
It seems like the moisture from sweat wicks right through the material and evaporates very quickly. The net effect was I was borderline uncomfortably COLD on my trainer ride.
Obviously this could be a very nice effect for my planned IM 70.3 Costa Rica in June and 70.3 Munice in July.

The chamois is great for the tri position.
Lately I have been having trouble with conventional bike shorts on my tri bike. The same shorts / chamois that are great on my tourer/commuter/rando/gravel bike, tend to be too bulky and, as the saying goes, they get bunched up in a wad when I'm in the aero position on my tri bike. I actually got my very first saddle sore EVER from the edge of a conventional road bike chamois sawing away at my skin.
The HUUB chamois is a welcome change from this.
It is a 3-D pad, a bit thicker in strategic places, but very thin at the edges and very light everywhere.
And the reviews are true, you feel like the chamois is only in the perineal area with no butt coverage - then you get on your tri bike saddle and realize "I guess I don't need padding back there, because I'm not sitting on that."

Haven't had a chance to try this suit for a run yet, but I am going to go way out on a limb and guess that less padding on the butt side is going to make it better on the run.

Swim will have to wait for weather. Not going to put an expensive suit like this in chlorine.

One other issue - on the Vanity front - as a formerly obese 50 year old "participant" triathlete, I have to say this is the least unflattering tri suit I have ever put on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone tried HUUB tri suits? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oomph Tri Suit anyone?

Started by Keitaro
Views: 1066 Posts: 2

2010-08-16 4:56 PM vonschnapps

Anyone ever try to alter a tri suit?

Started by NDIrishO3
Views: 1251 Posts: 5

2010-07-18 2:28 PM danbob

Anyone try these: Pearl Izumi Tri R3

Started by killervette42
Views: 1233 Posts: 7

2007-07-23 7:57 PM killervette42

Anyone try this tri saddle

Started by Freeswimmingfish
Views: 963 Posts: 6

2005-09-14 6:06 PM Stake

Want to try a Tri Suit this year....

Started by Tania
Views: 1174 Posts: 7

2005-03-22 4:28 PM Tania
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 29, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Character attributes and temperament of successful triathletes.

date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.
date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.