Mount Laurel, New Jersey
United States
http://www.indoortri.com/
Total Time = 1h 00m
Overall Rank = 21/66
Age Group = Open F
Age Group Rank = 6/31
Pre-race routine:

Ate a Clif bar on the way over and drank some Gatorade. 9:40 am wave start meant I had plenty of time. Since it snowed all day yesterday, it took a little time to get the car cleaned off and get going.
Event warmup:

Stretched and swam 750 yards (500 reverse Indiana IM and then 2 x 100 free build, 25 back). By the time I finished that, I had five minutes left until my wave.

Swim
  • 10m
  • 700 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

10:00 pool swim. I was unlucky enough to situate myself (wish I'd noticed sooner!) right next to the guy who had gotten in the warm-up pool next to me, sprinted two fifties with lots of rest between, and got out. When they blew the whistle, he sprinted off the wall, churning up unnecessary amounts of water with a stroke that could have been much more efficient. I took it out hard (not sprinting) and stayed right on his shoulder for the first four laps, despite him doing open turns and taking way more strokes per lap than me. By lap 5, I started pulling away and eventually, toward the end, lost him (I knew from the beginning that his pace were unsustainable with his stroke). I ended up finishing 700 yards before they blew the whistle. It felt pretty good throughout, though I definitely felt the cold I've been fighting through. My muscles just felt a little draggy.
What would you do differently?:

There were two things holding me back: the cold I've had for the past few days and having to avoid the other lady in my lane, who swerved onto my side several times. Even with those things, I think it went really well.
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

Ten minutes to change in the locker room. I had plenty of time. I took an extra locker just for my transition stuff, so it was easy to figure out what I needed, and there was plenty of space in the locker room. I got up to the bikes with a few minutes to spare. Since I have no experience with spin bikes, I let the guy who worked there set mine up.

Nothing. Maybe run a brush through my hair, which was all over the place (I glanced in the mirror when I ran to the bathroom and tried to finger-comb it, but didn't help much).
Bike
  • 30m
  • 10.6 miles
  • 21.20 mile/hr
Comments:

It was interesting to bike for the first time with HRM (the bike unit also picked up the signal, so I didn't really need to look at my Garmin). Generally, when I get on the bike during a tri, I spend the first ten minutes (at least) trying to calm down, not throw up, and get into a rhythm. Today was not that different, despite the longer transition time, and so it was interesting to see that my HR started in the 160s, at the higher end of zone 4. I tried to calm it down, but I also didn't want to SLOW down, so I ended up staying in zones 4-5 (HR 160-175) the entire time. It was a tough effort (and boring as hell on a stationary bike), but not impossible.

I will be working on better training on the bike, esp with HR zones, over the next few months, which should help improve my fitness for this transition. For my current fitness level, I think I killed it.
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

Five minutes to walk across the room from the stationary bikes to the treadmills. I tried stretching my knotty right calf a bit beforehand. It wasn't as tight as expected, so I was hopeful for the run.

Nothing. Not much to do.
Run
  • 20m
  • 1.45 miles
  • 13m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I started myself off at 5.3 mph to see how things felt. Within the first minute, it felt like my right foot was landing on knives. I dialed back the pace to a fast walk, then to a moderate walk, then a slow walk (bottoming out at 2 mph). I wasn't even sure if that was a good idea, because the sharp throbbing pains on the outside of my right foot didn't stop. Eventually, though, they died down and the calf felt ok, so I dialed it back up slowly. At least the first ten minutes were at a walk, but I eventually felt tentatively confident enough to try running again. I went back up to 5 mph for a minute or two, felt ok, and so dialed it slowly back up, reaching 6.5 mph at my peak. I slowed down again during the last two minutes because my leg just didn't feel right (no sharp pains again, but I was no longer confident in the running). At least I was able to put up a slightly more respectable number than I was heading toward at the start.

Not injure myself the day before a race? Not sure I had control over that, though.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, packed up my stuff, had an Organic Valley protein drink, and drove home. Hot bath and iced my foot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold I've had since Thursday and the sharp pains in my foot that started yesterday afternoon.

Had I been able to run, it looks pretty clear that I would have placed in this one :(

Event comments:

It was an ok race. It was nice to have an event to look forward to in the winter. Ultimately, though, it felt like we were just working out at the facility more than participating in a race. Some of the volunteers tried to be enthusiastic, but most were just doing their jobs and talking to one another. The atmosphere that makes triathlon fun was largely missing.

Last updated: 2016-11-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 700 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/31
Overall: 3/66
Performance: Good
Suit: pink and black Speedo
Course: Pool swim, sharing a lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:00 | 10.6 miles | 21.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/31
Overall: 11/66
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Stationary bike with clipless pedals
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:00 | 01.45 miles | 13m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/31
Overall: 54/66
Performance:
Course: Treadmill run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2017-01-08 1:56 PM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: LifeTime Fitness Indoor Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LifeTime Fitness Indoor Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon

Started by hutch7575
Views: 807 Posts: 1

2008-04-13 7:32 PM hutch7575

Started by shepherd
Views: 1350 Posts: 4

2008-04-08 10:51 PM mila

LifeTime Fitness Indoor Triathlon- Warrenville

Started by Nole40
Views: 840 Posts: 1

2008-02-17 7:06 PM Nole40

Started by M McQueen
Views: 713 Posts: 1

2007-07-07 6:07 PM M McQueen

Started by MnTirGuy
Views: 599 Posts: 1

2007-04-15 1:55 PM MnTirGuy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 1, 2016
author : Endorphin Hub
comments : 0
Should you continue to train outdoors during the winter time?

date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
Keeping your bike from being damaged on the trainer
date : December 17, 2015
author : mikericci
How to train inside and not lose your mind or motivation.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.