of 4

2017-02-01 12:06 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Winter clean out.....
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mdg2003 You were blowing them up? What did you guys do, set targets around the feeder and det them when a hog was near one? Sounds like a Jack Daniels inspired activity!

20lbs. of  it right IN a pile of corn.  Tracers rounds from 200 yards.  I have a video, but there is no way I can post it here.  Suffice to say it brings new meaning to the phrase "when pigs fly". 

Was going to ask if there was video! Yeah, that might not go over well with some of the more sensitive folks here in BTlandia.

2017-02-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Here in Florida it's dove season. They're small and no leftovers

I've got all the doves I can stand in my yard. Basteges take over the bird feeders and shove all the other birds out. I could probably limit out from my porch with a pellet gun.
2017-02-01 12:10 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

My kids will run over you to get at some bacon wrapped dove breasts.

2017-02-01 12:12 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Fresh cured and smoked today. End pieces for lunch to go on the burgers.

(baconends.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
baconends.jpg (81KB - 1 downloads)
2017-02-01 12:18 PM

User image

Pro

That looks So good!!  I'm jealous!

2017-02-01 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

That looks So good!!  I'm jealous!

It was. Took little slider patties, topped with bacon and a slice of gouda…no bun!

2017-02-13 8:22 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Yeah, it's a private 46,000 acre ranch that never gets hunted.  The owner lets us shoot his quail in exchange for us killing hogs.  Last year we killed over 200.    Tannerite is brutal in a wild hog feed station. 

So, blow up any pork or what? I read elsewhere the quail hunt went well, where's the trip report?
2017-02-13 11:22 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003

Yeah, it's a private 46,000 acre ranch that never gets hunted.  The owner lets us shoot his quail in exchange for us killing hogs.  Last year we killed over 200.    Tannerite is brutal in a wild hog feed station. 

So, blow up any pork or what? I read elsewhere the quail hunt went well, where's the trip report?

The trip got cut to only 3 days this year so the body count was not quite as high.  The quail numbers are unprecedented.......we figure 30-40 coveys per day in two days of quail hunting.  We killed over 100 quail.  The dogs worked well, but the quail in Texas run quite a bit so we had quite a few wild flushes out of range the first day.  We changed tactics the 2nd day and ground them up pretty good by blocking.

Half of us didn't hunt pigs those 2 days because we wanted to get in on the "once in a lifetime" quail hatch.....and I was not disappointed.  We hammered the pigs pretty good on day 3.....I think 40 or so....but the total for the hunt was much lower.  We never actually got a good set up with the tannerite this year so that contributed to lower numbers as well. 

2017-02-13 2:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

This was day 2 after lunch hunt.....about 50 birds in 3 hours.  As soon as I can pick some wild mushrooms in a few months those quail will make part of a hell of a meal. 

Edited by Left Brain 2017-02-13 2:50 PM

(50quail.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
50quail.jpg (93KB - 4 downloads)
2017-02-13 3:12 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Nice. Glad you had a good trip. Guess y'all went through a few cases of shells...
2017-02-13 3:20 PM

User image

Pro

Man, I don't even know how much ammo we shot in 3 days.  We took a clay pigeon thrower and a couple hundred clay birds so we shot that up too.  I know we took well over 2500 rounds of .223, .308, and other ammo and brought none back.  We set up some targets about 600 yards across a valley and spent the down time in the middle of the day working on those.  You know......typical redneck long weekend.

2017-02-13 10:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas

You know......typical redneck long weekend.

Yeah, I noticed the Crown bag on the tailgate...

Edited by mdg2003 2017-02-13 10:37 PM
2017-02-14 7:23 AM

User image

Pro

You know......typical redneck long weekend.

Yeah, I noticed the Crown bag on the tailgate...
Lol...... my buddy keeps his electronic dog collars in that bag. You gotta hand it to Crown, they made a bag that shows up everywhere. For all the dumb crap we do.....and some of it reaches legendary dumbness status....we don't drink and shoot.
2017-02-14 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

Here in Florida it's dove season. They're small and no leftovers

I've got all the doves I can stand in my yard. Basteges take over the bird feeders and shove all the other birds out. I could probably limit out from my porch with a pellet gun.

I've only been out a couple of times this year but dove numbers are not great. We're having a pretty warm winter and the ol' timers tell me that is the root of the problem. OK with me, I'm more of a target shooter anyway. I use my grandpa's Browning SXS for wing shooting. It is a 16 Ga, price of shells getting mighty sporty, but 12 Ga is just too powerful for doves.
2017-02-14 2:58 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy Here in Florida it's dove season. They're small and no leftovers
I've only been out a couple of times this year but dove numbers are not great. We're having a pretty warm winter and the ol' timers tell me that is the root of the problem. OK with me, I'm more of a target shooter anyway. I use my grandpa's Browning SXS for wing shooting. It is a 16 Ga, price of shells getting mighty sporty, but 12 Ga is just too powerful for doves.

No way.  We've been killing doves with a 12 ga. forever......most people do.  It all has to do with the round you're using.......gauge has nothing to do with it.  I can buy/load a .410 round MUCH more powerful then that 16 ga. load you are shooting.

2017-02-15 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

Originally posted by Oysterboy Here in Florida it's dove season. They're small and no leftovers

No way.  We've been killing doves with a 12 ga. forever......most people do.  It all has to do with the round you're using.......gauge has nothing to do with it.  I can buy/load a .410 round MUCH more powerful then that 16 ga. load you are shooting.

I'm using an IM choke and #8 or #7.5 load. I do not have the time to reload so I just buy what wally mart has on the shelf and it is usually pretty high speed loads (lots of powder), fine for shooting targets but IMHO a bit too powerful for doves, better for quail. Of course, if you are not a great shot and only get a small bit of the bird 12 Ga might be just be what you need to do the job

2017-02-15 9:52 AM

User image

Pro

I'm using an IM choke and #8 or #7.5 load. I do not have the time to reload so I just buy what wally mart has on the shelf and it is usually pretty high speed loads (lots of powder), fine for shooting targets but IMHO a bit too powerful for doves, better for quail. Of course, if you are not a great shot and only get a small bit of the bird 12 Ga might be just be what you need to do the job

Bro - I don't worry about being a good shot.......I'm a meat hunter.  Body count is all I care about.

2017-02-15 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

Bro - I don't worry about being a good shot.......I'm a meat hunter.  Body count is all I care about.

Yep, I mostly target shoot, don't worry about how much I mangle clay, not on the menu.
2017-02-15 10:52 AM

User image

Pro

Yep, I mostly target shoot, don't worry about how much I mangle clay, not on the menu.

I get it.  I don't hardly shoot any trap or skeet.  I'll target shoot all day with a pistol or rifle, but when I get a scatter gun in my hands something is dying and going on the table. LOL

2017-02-15 11:20 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Agreed about the 12 Ga and dove - I much prefer my 20 Ga.  I hunt with Belgium made A5 Browning shotguns and the 20 is much lighter than the "light" 12.  I'll only use the 12 Ga for dove if there are high flying flocks of white wing.  I have an extra full choke that screws onto the end of a Cutt's Compensator making the gun at least 2 1/2" longer - it'll reach out and get 'em though.

2017-02-15 12:05 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hook'em

Agreed about the 12 Ga and dove - I much prefer my 20 Ga.  I hunt with Belgium made A5 Browning shotguns and the 20 is much lighter than the "light" 12.  I'll only use the 12 Ga for dove if there are high flying flocks of white wing.  I have an extra full choke that screws onto the end of a Cutt's Compensator making the gun at least 2 1/2" longer - it'll reach out and get 'em though.

I shoot ducks and geese with a 12ga and a 30 inch barrel with a Terror Tube extra full choke.  Since you can only shoot steel, and the shot pattern inherently doesn't spread as much as lead it's way overkill, especially with 1725 fps speed loads........but my dog doesn't have to chase many cripples.

2017-02-15 12:14 PM

User image

Pro

I've been shooting the same shotgun at ducks for 35 years..;..870 Wingmaster.  Here's a pic of it apart while I'm getting ready to put the small parts in the dishwasher at the end of a season.  I know, I know.....It needs a new coat of Krylon spray paint and some new duct tape.

(duckgun.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
duckgun.jpg (85KB - 1 downloads)
2017-02-15 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

I've been shooting the same shotgun at ducks for 35 years..;..870 Wingmaster.  Here's a pic of it apart while I'm getting ready to put the small parts in the dishwasher at the end of a season.  I know, I know.....It needs a new coat of Krylon spray paint and some new duct tape.

She's a looker Lefty...
2017-02-15 4:45 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
As far as target shooting I'm just the opposite. I broke my right wrist in my early 20's so it is kinda painful to shoot my pistol (0.45 cal 1911) so I just keep it in the house for protection. My grandfather used to do 400 yard (?as to actual distance) target shooting with a match grade 1903 Springfield 30-06 and I would sometimes tag along. Honestly, I find shooting still targets kinda boring. I shot trap in high school and started shooting skeet about 7 years ago and really love it. Sporting clays on occasion when I feel the need to be terribly humbled.
2017-02-15 6:20 PM

User image

Pro

Oh.....you're ok in my book of gun guys.  I've been carrying a Sig 1911 .45 for about 10 years at work.  As far as I'm concerned, there is the 1911, then there are all other pistols behind it somewhere.  What make 1911 do you have?

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Winter clean out..... Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2015
author : mikericci
comments : 2
How to prepare your body before heading out into the cold.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout