General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Foot discomfort Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-12 2:42 PM

User image

Subject: Foot discomfort
So, in getting back into running(on a treadmill.....warm weather save me!), I've noticed that both of my feet are getting sore in the arches while running. I did just switch shoes from UA Gemini 2 Record to Hoka OneOne Infinite. I guess it could be the shoes(hoping not because I do like these). Is there anything else to consider or try?

2017-01-12 9:36 PM
in reply to: joshwennes

User image

Subject: RE: Foot discomfort
I was just reading about foot pain on Runners a World. Could this be it?

The adductor hallucis is a muscle that runs horizontally across the top of the foot, forming a V-shape with its center at the big toe. The abductor hallucis runs lengthwise on the medial inside of the foot along the arch. Pain in either of these two areas can feel like extensor tendonitis or plantar fasciitis pain. But, runners can clearly identify a tight and sore abductor hallucis from a plantar problem because the muscle isn't on the bottom of the foot but rather on the inside of the arch.

Problems with either of these two muscles can result from not having enough arch support in your shoes, but most typically if you have bunions. Expert sports massage therapist and Rolfer Allan Kupczack, who treats recreational runners and elite athletes like Kara Goucher, explains that a tug-of-war that can occur.

"When the adductor hallucis is tight and pulling your big toe towards the other toes, it eventually creates a bunion. The abductor hallucis becomes weak from being in a stretched position all the time, and often the origin of the abductor, down near the heel, is tender."
2017-01-16 9:26 AM
in reply to: joshwennes

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Foot discomfort
Originally posted by joshwennes

So, in getting back into running(on a treadmill.....warm weather save me!), I've noticed that both of my feet are getting sore in the arches while running. I did just switch shoes from UA Gemini 2 Record to Hoka OneOne Infinite. I guess it could be the shoes(hoping not because I do like these). Is there anything else to consider or try?

I would switch back to your other shoes and see about the pain. If it subsides you may have your answer. You could always back off the mileage a little and see. I would recommend some good stretching before and after your runs. I try to do this and then roll my feet often with frozen water bottles. This seems to keep my arches from yelling at me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Foot discomfort Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Foot discomfort.

Started by Bevie
Views: 636 Posts: 3

2013-04-13 8:18 AM Bevie

foot pain - middle-outside of foot

Started by paddle2paddle
Views: 4907 Posts: 11

2008-02-02 9:30 AM wgraves7582

hip pointer discomfort

Started by thegomer
Views: 648 Posts: 1

2005-10-20 10:47 AM thegomer

hip pointer discomfort

Started by thegomer
Views: 550 Posts: 1

2005-10-20 9:51 AM thegomer

Discomfort staying aero for too long

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 851 Posts: 5

2005-07-26 9:49 AM jase714
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2015
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What foot injuries are common in triathletes, and how can I prevent the serious ones?

date : October 10, 2013
comments : 1
I will describe the more common running foot injuries and discuss contributing risk factors as well as treatments and corrections for prevention.
date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.

date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.
date : February 11, 2009
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.

date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.
date : August 7, 2007
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.