BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Gettin It Done Group! (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2017-02-13 8:35 PM
in reply to: Dr Oz

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Tri top suggestions.
Just reading over posts - Congratulations! How exciting to have a boy on the way.
Yeah, training for the IM is hot stuff too.
Mitzi

2017-02-14 1:30 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay Mitzi you found me! Been slacking lately with work and moving in mid December. Will try to do better.

So drop the sprint 1 week before HIM and you should be ok. Train for the HIM starting now 20-25 week plan and treat your races as recover weeks, probably a 3 week taper to the HIM.

Workouts are 2 build 1 recover for us 40+ and 3 build 1 recover for those younger folks who actually recover from workouts quickly.
2017-02-21 1:15 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
welcome rick and adrian!

thanks for the advice steve. she's been super supportive of my ironman journey and i hope to be just a supportive to her with our kid. i'm loosely going to follow a 30-week plan from a book called 'be iron fit' and they do workouts based on time (which i'm not used to; i usually plan for distances)

Thanks Mitzi!

this past week was my recovery week but i've taken on the task of renovating a bathroom in our home so that was my workout a few of the days haha. that and i've added back in basketball after spraining my ankle pretty bad in december. i'm feeling good though!

rick, as far as tops, i've only used 1-piece suits; a budget saucony one, and a custom epix gear one. they get the job done but i'm not too picky. the chamois is what makes/breaks my comfort.
2017-02-22 8:03 PM
in reply to: #5213349

Subject: RE: Baowolf's Gettin It Done Group! (Open)
Does anyone have a training program and any nutrition programs that I could use to make things a bit easier for HIM training? I'm in pretty good shape now but need to trim down. Let's say I'm in moderate shape now, what should base training look like.

Thanx again.

Rick
2017-02-24 1:57 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Iron fit has decent plans, I think they were lite on the run though. Which can suck at the end of the race.

BT has plans here also that are ok.

Do you mean day to day nutrition or do you mean during the race nutrition plan?

2017-02-24 6:11 PM
in reply to: #5214230

Day to day but race day wouldn't hurt either.

2017-02-26 7:32 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Day to day doesn't really matter. Just stay away from candy, chips, etc., eat a little extra fruit and vegies and you will be fine.

Race day is as stated above.

11 mile run today, first 5 miles pretty good, last 6 kinda sucky need to get back in shape some day.
2017-03-01 1:40 PM

Quick update. Got some new gear for free to try out soon. Haven't swam yet. Got my road bike out on the road for a few light rides and love it. Still running and boxing regularly. Have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow so hopefully I'll have this knee thing sorted out asap so I can run further.

2017-03-02 12:16 AM
in reply to: Slim2634

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Getting the knee worked out medically is a good idea. Do you have good shoes, meaning have you had your foot strike analyzed to see how much support you need and then replace your shoes every 300 to 350 miles?
2017-03-07 9:38 PM
in reply to: #5214394

Does anyone have any suggestions for endurance supplements while training for a HIM? I take COQ10 Ubiquinol but looking for more endurance strength.
2017-03-08 12:21 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Well, you have healthy food and a basic vitamin, anything else really has marginal returns in actual training. Triathlon has many many things one could buy to shave off 2-10 seconds off an Olympic distance race and 60 to 90 seconds off a HIM. But just training well will be a much better investment. If you have a doctor telling you that you need something, that of course would be a different story. One can complete IMs by eating PBJs every day for lunch and some kind of protein with a vegi and glass of milk for dinner. Yup that would be me. Go IM #9 this year 8).

If you happen to be competitive at the national or world level, then some of these $10,000 to $20,000 investments could be worth the time savings. If you are middle of the pack, then just train well, have fun and try to improve.

You can of course do anything you want, so whatever makes this fun for you. It is just really easy to get obsessed with all of the many products designed to make you obsessed.

2017-03-10 2:58 PM

Originally posted by Baowolf

Getting the knee worked out medically is a good idea. Do you have good shoes, meaning have you had your foot strike analyzed to see how much support you need and then replace your shoes every 300 to 350 miles?

Yep. And those shoes cause me more pain than any others lol. I think I need some good stretches and exercises. See the PT next Friday. It seems to be improving, if only slightly. My heart rate is around 165 when running 7:30 - 8 minute pace. Resting is 55. I had a PR last night at 14:37 for two miles so that felt awesome. Running a 5k tomorrow and really hoping to be under 24. Really need it to warm up a bit to get my bike out some more.
2017-03-11 12:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So if you did 14:37 in practice you should be able to do the 5k in 24. Shoot for around paces 7:45, 7:35, 7:25 and hold on for the finish with whatever you have left. Do a short warmup jog with a few faster efforts quarter to a half mile. Try a gel about 15 min before the race start.

57 mile bike ride today, first decent weather of the year on a Saturday, and it takes a lot of time to get back in IM shape, sigh.

Edited by Baowolf 2017-03-11 5:37 PM
2017-03-15 3:52 PM

So if you did 14:37 in practice you should be able to do the 5k in 24. Shoot for around paces 7:45, 7:35, 7:25 and hold on for the finish with whatever you have left. Do a short warmup jog with a few faster efforts quarter to a half mile. Try a gel about 15 min before the race start.

57 mile bike ride today, first decent weather of the year on a Saturday, and it takes a lot of time to get back in IM shape, sigh.

I ran my 5k in 23:46. My goal for the year was under 24 so I'm definitely ahead of what I thought I could do. Also did a thirty minute ride on my indoor trainer. Went 8 miles according to my bike computer. Seemed about right. I'm starting to learn how to pace myself with my heart rate and I felt I could have easily gone another 30 minute if needed but didn't want to push it too much. Thinking I'm catching this cold that's going around. My next race is my first 10k on April 1st. Honestly just going to try and finish in under 55 minutes but considering I've not ran that far, we will see what happens. I know I can do it if I pace properly.
2017-03-15 3:56 PM

I am going to try a gel for the 10k. Can't wait for some warmer weather to ride outside. The cold isn't so bad here but the wind is.
2017-03-16 1:07 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So if you were fully trained for the 10k you would be at around 50 minutes based on your 5k time. You are undertrained for it so 55 min seems reasonable. Like the 5k start off at a more comfortable pace for the first mile, then every mile there after go a bit faster and then try to hold on for the last 2 miles. You don't need a gel during the 10k because the race will take you less than an hour. 15 min before would be fine. And grats on meeting your goal on your first 5k, nicely done!

2017-03-17 11:52 AM

So if you were fully trained for the 10k you would be at around 50 minutes based on your 5k time. You are undertrained for it so 55 min seems reasonable. Like the 5k start off at a more comfortable pace for the first mile, then every mile there after go a bit faster and then try to hold on for the last 2 miles. You don't need a gel during the 10k because the race will take you less than an hour. 15 min before would be fine. And grats on meeting your goal on your first 5k, nicely done!

Thanks. Had my knee appt. today and he said everything seems fine, just inflammation. He told me to keep slowly raising the distance and he wants me to do a little physical therapy. Other than that, nothing structurally wrong so he's not too concerned. Prescribed some anti-inflammatory.

I ran 6 miles in just under 54 minutes on Wednesday night (followed by a thirty minute indoor trainer ride last night) with relatively little knee pain so I believe I'm on the right track. I iced my knees after and it seemed to help alot and the pain went away. It was also really cold and windy so I think I could get closer to 52 minutes on my 10k time. Working with a gym now on rates for a place to swim. Thanks for the encouragement.
2017-03-18 2:42 PM
in reply to: #5210296

Does anyone have any advice on what chainring the chain should be on on the front and what number cassette ring the chain should be on in the rear to maintain 90-95rpm (cadence)?
2017-03-19 4:40 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
That all depends on your incline/decline, wind, road smoothness and fitness. You just do it in whatever gear fits your target cadence and heart rate.
2017-03-23 2:02 PM
in reply to: #5216220

Does anyone have any advice on strength training while training hard core for a HIM? I am not new to tris but I am new to HIM training. I feel that strength training should still continue but I am reading and hearing a lot of things that it should not be done during HIM training. If the general consensus is that strength training should occur out of a six day work out week when is the best time to do full body circuit training? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
2017-03-24 12:31 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Most people do not have the time to train for a HIM or IM and do a lot of other exercise. Also, you need muscles to recover, so balancing significant lifting with 15 hours to 25 hours of swim bike run can make it hard to recover and trashes your workouts. It is possible, to integrate the two, but you have to give up something unless maybe you are under 25 years old and can recover from everything really fast.

In theory, you would work arms on a heavy leg day (run bike arms) and work legs on a heavy swim day. Ideally you also have 6 hours between workouts. So say you run 6 miles at 6 am, then bike 25 miles at noon, then lift arms at 6pm. Next day work core and legs at 6am and swim at noon or pm. It could work, but then you are working all muscle groups every day with no rest. So then you need to rest upper or lower body every other day. So not sure how you fit that in without giving up on tri training. It is plausible that you could either do light weightlifting so it doesn't over work your body or do less triathlon training.

Most people do tri taining and throw in some core or muscle balance training once a week upper body and lower body. Much more tends to be hard to keep up if you work or are over 25.

I know this is not overly helpful, but building to a HIM does take time and energy. There are books that can help you integrate with a training plan, I just find it personally to take too much time. I do the once a week upper and lower, mostly for muscle balance and then do less as I build above 20 hours a week in tri training.

2017-03-24 7:36 AM
in reply to: #5216618

Thank you for the information. It doesn't make sense to me. I apologize for all the questions but one other question I have is if I am supposed to do 2 training activities in one day is it OK to do them back to back or do I have to spread them out over the day? An example would be, I have to swim 1000 m with some speed work and then I have to run 7 miles at a moderate pace. Utilizing nutrition and hydration I can do this back to back no problem but will doing them back to back lack benefits?
2017-03-25 10:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
No problem with questions at all that is why we are here.

If one were a professional athlete and wanted to maximize workouts and rest one would separate the exercises for recovery reasons.

In the real world for those who have jobs and families, everyone does workouts back to back or run then drive to the gym and swim or whatever. It is not a big deal. However, if you just did a 100 mile bike ride, if you are not planing to do a brick run right afterwards you might want to recover a couple hours before a run or swim.

One needs to realize though if they do a heavy leg lifting workout and then want to go run 16 miles that would not be ideal. Similar with a heavy arm lifting and then swim. Run/swim or bike/swim are good to do back to back. One can do brick runs (bike/run) but the run will be slow paced and one of your shorter runs. At shorter distances it is less of a problem than at longer distances.

Is there something I can restate from above that wasn't clear?

Edited by Baowolf 2017-03-25 10:21 PM
2017-03-25 11:45 PM
in reply to: #5210296

Thanx for the reply. When I stated that something wasn't clear that was a typo, I meant to say I understand. Lol. Again, I appreciate the information. I don't want to injure myself etc. as I am only used to training for sprints and olys.
2017-03-26 1:57 PM
in reply to: #5216808

Looking for a cheap 700cX25 rear road bike rim with 10 speed cassette.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Gettin It Done Group! (Open) Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 11725 Posts: 84

2017-07-21 1:37 PM flyor64

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.