BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Gettin It Done Group! (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2017-03-26 3:40 PM
in reply to: Dr Oz

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Gettin It Done Group! (Open)
Nashbar has some pretty good deals if you know exactly what you are looking for. Sometimes paying a little more for the support of your LBS is worth it though. They will be able to help you find the right item if you do not know exactly if the item is compatible with your bike.

2017-04-01 1:51 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
March is in the tank: post your monthly totals if you wanna, is a tradition, doesn't matter for bad or good.

Swim: 9h 42m 31s - 27700 Yd
Bike: 24h 48m 32s - 400.3 Mi
Run: 19h 36m 08s - 117.05 M

Pretty happy with that. Starting to look like some real training. Formally into my 20 week IM training plan at this point, first week.
2017-04-01 7:28 PM
in reply to: #5216833

Well, my stats are not as impressive as our mentor but I'm happy with them.
Swim: 11,850
Bike: 115
Run: 50

Each week/month it will get more impressive. Lol.
2017-04-01 9:57 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The monthly totals are not braggin rights, just to put it out there so one can look at where they are in their race prep. I am prepping for an IM, so my base miles will be higher than peak sprint, oly or even HIM training. They are not the same beast.

Your numbers are pretty solid to build from.

70 mile bike ride today. Sad thing is that eventually that will be a recovery week ride, not a really long ride. That is how the build works. Just slow and steady over weeks and months until your body is ready for race day.
2017-04-04 11:37 AM

I'll have to total up my March miles but they're not impressive at all lol.

I did finish my first 10k this past Saturday. The weather was quite a bit colder than it has been lately so my first mile and a half was slower while I warmed up. I finished in 52:59.3. I've only run that distance or more two times so felt really good. Already looking forward to my next race.
2017-04-05 7:44 PM
in reply to: Slim2634

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Good job.

2017-04-06 1:28 PM
in reply to: 0

Hi Baowolf,

My name is Travis and I'm currently training for the St. Anthony's Olympic Distance triathlon. I have done a few sprints in the past but this is my longest triathlon by far. I trained for the St. A's 3 years ago and had broke my tire rim and had to dq so I'm coming back to the same race with a vengeance. My best attribute of the three is definitely my running. I love playing soccer as opposed to going on long distance runs so I'm actually running 3-4 times a week for about an hour, swimming twice a week, and biking any other days.

I was following a training program but the monotony of it became extremely boring and I feel like my nutrition is off. When I first started training I was at about 184 and went up to my current weight of 190. I am 28 years old and I am 6'1". I have a difficult time maintaining between feeling satiated at meal time but then not feeling like I have enough fuel during my training. I'll overeat but then it leaves me tired and sluggish, but then I can get through the workouts no problem. I'm experimenting with different source of nutrition but wanted to get your take on what you would recommend as far as diet goes. What keeps you full and energetic? What macro % would you recommend? Do you have any resources that you could recommend that helped you on the aforementioned subject?

I'm not aiming to win the triathlon but I'd like to keep my swim under a half hour, the bike at about 18mph at least, and then my run at an 8'30" max. I find when I'm training these times will fluctuate. The other night I ran a charity 5k at a 6:48 and I was admittedly horsing it. I understand this is not what my longer runs should be but sometimes I struggle with keeping it under 9:00 if I run for an hour. Other days I'm running and I'll be around an 8:00. I usually run a max of 5-6 miles. Caffeine helps so much but I suffer from acid reflux so I stay away if I can. It's amazing the difference in all of my times with the addition of caffeine. I've shifted my training regimen from focusing on distance and going for time.

I'd like to find healthy, sustained energy, without being dependent on caffeine. I love love love food, and I want to be able to find a better balance of eating the right things that will keep me full for a long time rather than a calorie dump of bs that I burn off in my training but leaves me feeling mentally sluggish. Any insight is much appreciated.

Edited by TMM 2017-04-06 1:29 PM
2017-04-06 9:11 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Nice paces there. What is your long run, bike, run in your plan prior to race day?

So running rate varies with fatigue load. So if you are on the 3rd build week your times can be much slower than after a recovery week. Also temperature has a big impact on running pace and if you are not careful about when your last meal was, that can kick in as well. Sometimes a cold or edge of a cold kicks in and drains stamina, sleep, etc. If you do a hard bike ride than do a run later that day, well your run can be sucky.

Food is pretty straight forward, don't eat chocolate, chips,fries, beer, etc., do eat fruit vegies meat, some dairy. If you get hungry a lot have smaller meals more often. The more you workout the less careful you have to be about what you eat. Try to not bing eat after a hard workout, is easy to do.

There are run calculators to figure out what your pace should be at different distances.

If you tell me more about your training plan I can maybe be more specific about why you are fatigued. Are you taking every 4th week as a recovery week, 60% volume?

Edited by Baowolf 2017-04-06 9:18 PM
2017-04-09 3:45 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay first stronger long run 14 miles today. Finally starting to get my legs back under me. I took 51 seconds per mile off last week's long run.
2017-04-15 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Oz - don't focus on bodybuilding type lifting - think of moves that work multiple muscles on different planes(?), swinging, moving in different directions.
Hits stabilizing muscles and things that don't get worked sbr.
As race gets closer use heavier wts, less reps (your training is the endurance work), not for bulk, but think about going for explosive power. Include plyo moves.

Me? I've been in this group a while now. I'm a 58 yr old woman, down in weight, but still 20 obs. from a healthy wt. Gymnast and runner in HS, gym rat for many years. Am working on lightening up, don't really have a body for endurance, but I do love it. I have been on and off with sprint tris, did an oly a year or two ago. Survived the swim, come in near last.
I have not been consistent in training. Kept taking time off from running as knees would hurt. Turns out I have arthritis in my knees and resting is not the issue. The body isn't getting any younger and I feel that the time for reaching my potential is now or never.
I'm halfway through Immersion Swim lessons. Don't think I'll ever figure out how to swim, but I like doing the drills and my thinking is I don't have to swim, I just have to be able to master the drills I'm given. I can do that.
Bought a cool new road bike. Didn't realize what a heavy piece of junk I had been riding. I can't get over how much easier the new bike is to handle, though that first time I took it out I stopped without getting my foot out of the new pedal and did the slow fall. So now I'm on my trainer...

Will check in even if I don't always post...
Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2017-04-15 7:48 PM
2017-04-15 11:08 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Mitzi don't worry, you will eventually get the swim thing down. It took me a like 3 weeks to be able to do freestyle and breath at the same time. Today my best 1000 yard freestyle was 1:49 per 100. Not fast but functional and felt good. I was envisioning moving my arm in a motion kinda like a canoe paddle in, kind of towards center a touch and then back out by the hip. I was also trying to use my body rotation to gain leverage on the arm movement. Keeping your backide up is also a challenge. It will come.

2017-04-18 6:50 AM

I struggle with swimming too. Headed to Denver this morning so I'm not optimistic about training at altitude this week lol. Been traveling for work a good bit so it's the dreadmill for me.
2017-04-19 12:38 AM
in reply to: Slim2634

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
This is the first year I am actually feeling better about my swim in a decade. I just did a 4000 yard swim with all sets at a reasonable pace and arms feeling good at the end. Your best bet for swimming is to get a coach, it will really save you a decade of floundering on your own.

I am into the big build weeks at this point, so life is going to get a bit crowded. Today was up at 5:50 am to run, then work until 5pm, then bike 1 hour then drive to pool 30 min each way and 1:30 ish swim (with shower) = home by 9:30.
2017-04-20 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
2017-04-22 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Steve help.

Trying to get a plan set for my august oly. Am looking at the custom BT plans. Feeling discouraged that my fitness isn't up to the beginning run distances. I can't shoot for the distances given as they are much more than I'm currently doing and I'm sure I'd get injured. The times given are actually lower than I do because I'm still in the run 2m/walk 1m phase.

Do I just junk the idea of having a plan or do I go for time, maybe increasing the given times which I am already doing, and hope that eventually my running will eventually catch up - when I cut out the walk periods.

Edited by MuscleMomma 2017-04-22 12:21 PM
2017-04-22 10:22 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You have time. In IM training, I work on building my base fitness for months before starting the actual 20 week plan. You could do a similar thing, just continue to build using walk jog and increase distance gradually. If your long walk/jog is 1 mile, you can build up to 7 miles for your Oly over 3 months pretty easily, even if you just walked/jog the entire time. Same for bike or swim, just start where you are and gradually build, keeping recovery weeks every 3rd week. If you put a plan up I am happy to look at it.

2017-05-03 1:43 PM
in reply to: #5210296

Help!! I love triathlon. I love being in shape. I love the lifestyle. For some reason I cannot get back into sync. My family and I just returned from a weeklong cruise. I was able to eat relatively healthy and work out a bit but with as busy as we were it was hard to get workouts in. I did get some ocean swimming in however. Since returning home I feel like I have lost all desire to train and my first race is quickly approaching, one month from now. Any ideas on how to regain motivation?
2017-05-04 11:53 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
When I am unmotivated my wife says that it is ok to not want to workout, you can just do it. Start at a recovery level and just get started, it will come back. It is all part of the dance.
2017-05-13 10:41 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hey guys, check in and let me know what's going on. Let me know if I can help in anyway or just let the rest of the gang know where you are in your journey.

Personally, I'm pretty bummed as I may have PF that could keep me out of my IM. Got a doc appointment next week to see what's up.
2017-06-05 9:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Steve, PF?
I haven't signed up for this summers tris yet. I'm scared of being the old woman who drags her fat across the line near last (again).
Yet I'm being more consistent and will probably do better this year.

May 21 Base 1, 1.8, 1.8
May 28 Base 1.1, 2, 2.07,
June 4 Build 1.2, 2.2, 2.4,
June 11 Build 1.5, 2.4, 2.8,
June 18 Recovery 1, 1.5, 1.7,
June 25 Build 1.8, 2.7, 3.2,
July 2 Build 2.2, 3.1, 3.7,
July 9 Build 2.6, 3.5, 4.2,
July 16 Taper 2, 2,
July 22 Sprint
July 23 Build 3.1, 4, 4.8,
Aug 6 Build 3.6, 4.4, 5.5,
Aug 13 Taper 3 , 3 ,
August 20 Oly

sprint is July 22, oly is Aug. 20

Swimming is working on the drills the TI coach gave me, 25's focusing on aspects of form. really haven't just swam

Bike is still on my trainer, as the first, and last time I rode my new bike I stopped and proceeded to fall over to the side I couldn't get my foot out of clip.

Overall, I'm in better shape than in past years, don't know why I'm so hesitant.

Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2017-06-05 10:51 AM
2017-06-05 11:59 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
PF= plantar fascheitis. The tendons that connect your toes to your heal by your achillies gets too tight, surrounding area gets irritated and there can be damage. The symptoms are essentially pain under the heal. Typical recover can be as long as a year unless it is really bad. It basically prevents me from doing any running 8 weeks from my ironman. Kinda sucky to say the least. I will see if I can walk jog the IM as I get closer to the race. My swimming and biking is adequate at this point.

2017-06-06 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
sucks
2017-06-06 7:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hesitating to register for the oly I survived two years ago. I wonder if I'll be ready? My training log is open.
2017-06-07 12:25 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You have a decent base in place, you could build to Oly shape in 5-7 weeks no problem. If you didn't care how fast you went you could complete an Oly tomorrow. If you want to be solid, a couple build cycles would put you in solid shape for the race. Now if you want to do it fast, that would take longer.
2017-06-07 10:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
By build cycle do you mean 2-3 weeks build, one week recovery? That would be 8 weeks, I've got 11 weeks!

I'd be happy to be in the 15th percentile. Not be last in my age group. Satisfaction of doing it, and beating a good number of people.
So you're making me feel like I've got this!

Edited by MuscleMomma 2017-06-07 11:16 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Gettin It Done Group! (Open) Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 11725 Posts: 84

2017-07-21 1:37 PM flyor64

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.