General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri suits Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-16 9:57 AM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Subject: Tri suits
The last tri suit I bought, I purchased from Amazon. It has worked well for the last couple of years, but, I have also shrunk a little and need to look at a new one. I am wondering if there is something better out there? I think I spent $80 or so on the one I have. Is there better quality out there? 2 years doesn't seem bad. I guess the question is, is a $200 tri suit worth it? Am I better buying a 2 piece or sticking with a singlet? I have a long torso so will the shirt ride up on me? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2017-01-16 10:22 AM
in reply to: Rooster519

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri suits
a very comfortable tri suit feels better after a longer race. not sure about time saving but its nice to have sore spots from the trisuit after the race.I like mine a little crazy so I get the with some custom designs at http://www.jakroo.com/
2017-01-16 11:08 AM

You can contact http://www.kiwamitri.com/and they will send you out a sample to try on so you will know if it fits or not.
2017-01-16 12:10 PM
in reply to: L0ST0NE

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Thanks! I'll check them both out. Does everyone prefer a one piece?
2017-01-16 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I actually like 2 pc suits.

the simple thing is being able to accomplish the bodily functions with ease.

just overall more flexible IMO. mix tops and bottoms, go without top on the swim, use a bike jersey for the ride, then switch to run top...so it's a more useful idea. also depends on the distance race you are doing.

although the one piece is probably sleeker on the swim.
2017-01-16 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I've raced in both one-piece tri suits and in two pieces, and for the last several years I've settled exclusively on wearing two pieces for four reasons.

First, there's the swim.  More than once I've had chafing under my arms from where my sleeveless wetsuit met the armholes of a one-piece. And I've felt constricted enough by a full wetsuit; I don't need to also have the construction of a tri top.  So I prefer to wear just the bottom of a two piece and put the top on in T1.

Second, there's the bike.  I prefer to wear a tight bicycling jersey these days that covers my shoulders. I've had bad sunburns in the past, and I don't want any more and I don't want to worry about sunscreen.  I think I've only seen one short sleeved tri suit for sale, and all the ones I've owned are sleeveless.  And bike jerseys have better pockets.

Third, there's the bodily functions.  So much easier as you can imagine.

Fourth, it's easier to race in the clothes I train in.  I can easily wear the tri bottoms on the bike, in the spin class, for a run.  It's a little goofy to wear a one piece all the time, and a tri suit is something of an attention getter in the spin class or the local multi-purpose trail.  "Look at me, I'm a triathlete!"  Not my style.  I can mix tri bottoms with any sort of top.

The only downside is that yes they can ride up.  I also have a long torso so I just need to check once in a while. I've never had a lower back sunburn out of a dozen half IM and IMs where I've worn two pieces.

2017-01-16 4:33 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Extreme Veteran
I like the on piece for 1 reason I do not get sunburned in the small of my back. plus it hold in my stomach
2017-01-16 8:21 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I have a long torso too and only go with a tri suit ("unitard" as my family teases me!) after starting out with a 2 piece setup.  I've had several DeSoto suits and a Zoot.  I really like the DeSoto's, top notch quality, the Zoot has lasted a long time too, was a tad below the DeSoto.  I hang out on eBay and buy closeout's/barely used items.  Last one I bought was a never used Desoto Lift Foil for $70, like this one.

Worth it, depends, I've gotten much more than 2 years out of every one and I use them for bike rides too (no pool swims).  I went down on my bike once in a race with a DeSoto and slid on my side and back.  Suit was absolutely fine, skin not so much!

2017-01-17 5:51 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by brucemorgan

I've raced in both one-piece tri suits and in two pieces, and for the last several years I've settled exclusively on wearing two pieces for four reasons.

First, there's the swim.  More than once I've had chafing under my arms from where my sleeveless wetsuit met the armholes of a one-piece. And I've felt constricted enough by a full wetsuit; I don't need to also have the construction of a tri top.  So I prefer to wear just the bottom of a two piece and put the top on in T1.

Second, there's the bike.  I prefer to wear a tight bicycling jersey these days that covers my shoulders. I've had bad sunburns in the past, and I don't want any more and I don't want to worry about sunscreen.  I think I've only seen one short sleeved tri suit for sale, and all the ones I've owned are sleeveless.  And bike jerseys have better pockets.

Third, there's the bodily functions.  So much easier as you can imagine.

Fourth, it's easier to race in the clothes I train in.  I can easily wear the tri bottoms on the bike, in the spin class, for a run.  It's a little goofy to wear a one piece all the time, and a tri suit is something of an attention getter in the spin class or the local multi-purpose trail.  "Look at me, I'm a triathlete!"  Not my style.  I can mix tri bottoms with any sort of top.

The only downside is that yes they can ride up.  I also have a long torso so I just need to check once in a while. I've never had a lower back sunburn out of a dozen half IM and IMs where I've worn two pieces.

There are a ton of short sleeved one piece suits out there.  I personally own five of them (Desoto, Fusion Sports, LG, Pearl Izumi, and Kiwami).  The new Desoto suit (the FliSuit) has a hidden fly which makes taking a pee quite easy. https://www.desotosport.com/collections/mens-trisuits/products/riviera-flisuit

2017-01-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

There are a ton of short sleeved one piece suits out there.  I personally own five of them (Desoto, Fusion Sports, LG, Pearl Izumi, and Kiwami).  The new Desoto suit (the FliSuit) has a hidden fly which makes taking a pee quite easy. https://www.desotosport.com/collections/mens-trisuits/products/riviera-flisuit

I notice reading that web page that it says "GREAT NEWS: Sleeved trisuits are now legal for use in Ironman and 70.3 races, and it remains legal in many other races not owned by WTC."

I did some research, and apparently Desoto has made a sleeved trisuit for a while, but WTC didn't allow them. Sometime in early 2016 WTC started allowing them.  So that's at least a partial explanation why it was hard to find sleeved trisuits in the past.  Also I don't usually buy this kind of thing online but at the local store or at expos, so they stock what sells.

2017-01-17 3:01 PM
in reply to: #5210368

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Sleeved suits and tops were always allowed for wetsuit swims, and of course bike and run, but they were not legal for non-wetsuit swims prior to last year.

2017-01-18 9:45 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Thanks for all the info everyone. My current tri suit still works, just a little bigger than I would like. I do believe I'm going to give the two piece suits a go and see how they work!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri suits Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri suit vs wet suit

Started by blaze507
Views: 3843 Posts: 6

2014-03-21 7:57 AM vertseven

Tri suit or not tri suit?

Started by Maxwelltri
Views: 10771 Posts: 16

2012-01-11 5:32 AM Phillipians

tri suit for first tri?

Started by colemanford
Views: 1604 Posts: 16

2008-02-04 6:41 PM tag

tri-suit or no tri-suit?

Started by Ky_Soldier
Views: 1020 Posts: 4

2006-06-19 7:39 AM mndiver

tri suit vs tri short and tri top

Started by smileydc01
Views: 2416 Posts: 18

2006-06-19 6:20 AM suziq_623
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Diane1961
I step gingerly into the pond. I did not know water could be that cold and not be ice. Briefly I can see the bottom and then everything is black except for my pale hands extending from my black suit.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.