Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2017-01-26 4:54 PM
in reply to: TriathlonnDad

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Nutrition During 70.3 race

Originally posted by TriathlonnDad Thanks Matt, sounds like you have it dialed in. What is scratch?

Sorry - it's actually Skratch, I believe.  Just a sugar and electrolyte drink. 

They're all pretty similar for me, in terms of how I race on them, but I find Skratch to be tasty (if a bit spendy).  During a race, I get pretty focused on enjoying the racing and can forget to do sensible things like eat and drink, so I'm happy enough to pop a few extra bucks to have something in the bottle that I look forward to drinking.

Some people have very specific and varied ways they react to different drinks, so it's good to try them out.  About the only things I don't like are some of the Hammer Gels and a couple of the Cliff flavors, but I can take their vanilla flavors fine (frosting is frosting, whereas some of the citrus stuff can sour my stomach - not what I want deep in a race), so I'll look for that in a pinch.

And as far as having it dialed in, I'll probably use this approach next time (if ever) I do another 70.3, but fully expect it'll change over time (with fitness, age, preference, etc.).  Definitely changes by distance!  Flexibility, if it doesn't throw you off your game, can be a real asset...

Matt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition During 70.3 race Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

70.3 nutrition race day

Started by Jimmycolorado
Views: 729 Posts: 2

2014-05-20 1:56 PM popsracer

B / C Races during 70.3 Trainning

Started by svalenzuela
Views: 835 Posts: 3

2013-04-18 7:07 AM colinphillips

Race nutrition (night before/day of/during race)

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1099 Posts: 11

2012-06-22 3:16 PM rjrankin83

Pre-Race and During the race nutrition

Started by bmjehle
Views: 2266 Posts: 9

2010-08-11 3:49 PM Nipper

Nutrition during the race

Started by Sassafras
Views: 668 Posts: 1

2006-08-21 3:20 PM Sassafras
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
A Quick Guide to Race-Day Nutrition Options

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : August 17, 2007
author : mrakes1
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.