General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike on Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-17 1:28 PM

Regular
, Indiana
Subject: Tri Bike on Trainer
I have this slight fear of using my tri bike on the trainer. I don't want to put too much pressure on the frame in a stationary position. That is my fear.

I have been out of doing races for a few years but scheduled a 70.3 in June to jump back in. In the past I have not really worried about it cause I would just throw my road bike on there throughout the winter. However, with an event in June and being winter in the Midwest, I feel I should be riding my tri bike as much as possible.

Any thoughts? Advice? Thanks!

2017-01-17 1:34 PM
in reply to: britz1784

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Tri Bike on Trainer

I pretty routinely use my tri-bike on the drainer as the season approaches.  Helps me get used to the position, especially for me the neck strength I don't get on the roadie.  I start more upright and drop the bars slowly while getting used to it.  Good to mix in outdoor rides when you can, IMO, but I haven't noticed any issues after a few years with the same tri frame (2009 P2) on and off the trainer...

Plus, those multi-hour deals spinning away like a gerbil build mental fortitude.  The race will seem like dessert after a bland meal!

YMMV

Matt

2017-01-17 2:49 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

DC
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I pretty routinely use my tri-bike on the drainer as the season approaches.  Helps me get used to the position, especially for me the neck strength I don't get on the roadie.  I start more upright and drop the bars slowly while getting used to it.  Good to mix in outdoor rides when you can, IMO, but I haven't noticed any issues after a few years with the same tri frame (2009 P2) on and off the trainer...

Plus, those multi-hour deals spinning away like a gerbil build mental fortitude.  The race will seem like dessert after a bland meal!

YMMV

Matt

PLUS, if you do damage it, now you have an excuse to buy a new one. Win win!
2017-01-17 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I do 95% of my riding here on the trainer on my tri bike. It's a lot safer for the bike (and me) there than out on the roads with several million motorbikes. The bike should be fine. Many people use a trainer tire, or just an old regular tire, to spare wear and tear on their good tires. The trainer is harder than the road on tires, I think. But I wouldn't worry about the frame. You're still putting weight on the frame when you ride it outside, right? Particularly for 70.3, that's a long time to be in aero if you haven't gradually gotten used to it in training--I would do most trainer rides on the tri and save the road bike for outdoor rides, especially with a group (where tri bikes are often not welcome).
2017-01-17 5:49 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

My bike lives on the trainer!

2017-01-17 6:23 PM

User image

I ride 2-4 hours a week on the trainer with the tri bike (I prefer it to the road bike on the trainer)

Just don't be doing a lot of out of the saddle sprint type effort flexing the bike back and forth

2017-01-19 12:02 PM

Veteran
Indiana
My tri bike IS my trainer bike.

My guess is that it will last longer indoors, not going over potholes and getting pushed into the ditch by a truck and getting road grime in the drivetrain and everything else.

Even if not, living on the trainer is in the basic job description of my tri bike. I'm training for tri's; that's the bike and the position and the muscle set that I want to tailor for my peak fitness. If I'm a bit slower on my commute to work or a group ride with friends, so what. I want to be fast on race day on my race bike in my race position. So all my structured training is done on my race bike. If that regimen breaks my race bike, I need a new race bike.

2017-01-21 8:49 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
This has been discussed in the past and you're not putting more forced on the bike in a trainer, the only difference is that you notice the forces as you have a fixed point of reference (which you won't have on the road...).

There's a few exceptions though... some bike manufacturers clearly states that their bikes (or some of their models) are not suitable for trainer use, commonly those are quite unique designs, non-traditional double diamond (Diamond bikes comes to mind for example).

I put some good miles on my tri bike during the winter months (and have done so for years), never had any issues or concerns for that matter.
2017-01-22 7:43 AM
in reply to: audiojan

Regular
, Indiana
Thanks everyone for your responses. I now feel more comfortable using the bike on the trainer. I am hoping I will not need to after having a 68 degree Saturday in the middle of January. Maybe this weather will stick around?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike on Trainer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri bike on trainer discomfort

Started by TriJC
Views: 2094 Posts: 10

2010-11-30 9:12 AM Corncub

Tri-shorts more comfortable then regular bike shorts on trainer

Started by Klaussprecht
Views: 1702 Posts: 18

2010-11-06 5:52 PM Klaussprecht

Logging trainer miles - using Bike Trainer section

Started by tri42
Views: 1690 Posts: 14

2007-12-27 6:45 AM saling4

Road or Tri Bike on Trainer

Started by akagan
Views: 893 Posts: 7

2007-09-10 12:43 PM brucemorgan

Hybrid vs Road bikes vs tri bike and the trainer

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1231 Posts: 3

2006-11-30 9:23 AM chirunner134
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Keeping your bike from being damaged on the trainer

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.